The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Onix Annex   » Arbok's Internet Cafe   » How to revive Chromatics

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to revive Chromatics
incompetent
Farting Nudist
Member # 1635

posted 11-18-2002 11:16 AM      Profile for incompetent   Author's Homepage   Email incompetent   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There are a few problems with chromatics. These range from the limited possibilities of movesets, the power of evasion, the widespread of paralysis, to a few problematic pokemon. One solution I propose will have a dramatic effect on each of these things. This should have been done a long time ago. Ban Psychic type pokemon. The effects of this are far reaching. With psychic pokemon gone, will normal types rule the roost or will fighting pokemon come out of the shadows to fight off the threat? One thing is for sure, hitmonlee is going to do more than just waste one psychic PP. Poison types may also thrive. If you’re upset about the loss of psychic pokemon, consider this, now there is actually a reason to use the move psychic. Now people can actually consider using many pokemon weak to psychic moves without fear of not being taken seriously. And for those who were never taken seriously, the possibility of winning is much closer. Something new needs to be done in chromatics for anyone to regain interest.

- - - - -
http://giovanni.sourcecod.com/
A ridiculous amount of guides and Pokémon fanfiction inspired by Joseph Conrad and Aldous Huxley.

Jolt135
Farting Nudist
Member # 1974

Member Rated:
posted 11-18-2002 03:37 PM      Profile for Jolt135   Author's Homepage   Email Jolt135   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just in case you wanted to know, Gengar is the Mewtwo of this format.
From: Woodbridge, VA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
D-Teclis
Farting Nudist
Member # 974

Member Rated:
posted 11-18-2002 04:02 PM      Profile for D-Teclis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hmmm,you still have ground and pin missile :]

In fact,to completely change the format,a ban on pure psy and ice pokemons (and offensive attacks of these types) would be interesting.
I should develop this...

- - - - -
Hearing about brats getting their butt's kicked is always satisfying.~~Pokegod

Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 11-18-2002 05:00 PM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If the RBY oldskool fanatics weren't a bunch of whiny pussies

CONTROVERSIAL STATEMENT
the kanji for the above

then allowing GSC-possible moves in RBY would be enough of a shakeup to warrant another look. But they're not going to, because as stated, they're a bunch of whiny pussies. [Razz]
~Uiru

- - - - -
TIDUDSOFIEIHUGHEXXXC: "maybe he will let you touch his blow up do"

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

From: the floating castle of Newfoundland | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
D-Teclis
Farting Nudist
Member # 974

Member Rated:
posted 11-19-2002 07:32 AM      Profile for D-Teclis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In fact,the chromatic environment should just die,its hole being ready,with the one for metallic.

- - - - -
Hearing about brats getting their butt's kicked is always satisfying.~~Pokegod

Donald
Bob the Builder
Member # 1551

Member Rated:
posted 11-19-2002 10:55 AM      Profile for Donald   Email Donald      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jolt135:
Just in case you wanted to know, Gengar is the Mewtwo of this format.

The Tobybro of a non-Psychic format.

From: In your girl's panties | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Draco the spirit dragon
Farting Nudist
Member # 2900

Member Rated:
posted 11-19-2002 02:51 PM      Profile for Draco the spirit dragon   Email Draco the spirit dragon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
too true

- - - - -
always expect the unexpected!

I've desidered since I can't get my Nidoking Gorkamorka into R/S he's be killed and reincarnated as a Metagross.

Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 11-19-2002 04:52 PM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sandslash is the bestest.
~Uiru

- - - - -
TIDUDSOFIEIHUGHEXXXC: "maybe he will let you touch his blow up do"

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

From: the floating castle of Newfoundland | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
incompetent
Farting Nudist
Member # 1635

posted 11-20-2002 02:20 AM      Profile for incompetent   Author's Homepage   Email incompetent   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think maybe now, I finally understand why each game sort of dies out. When red and blue came out, it was starting from scratch. Over a long process we finally understood its strategy, how well everything worked, and what was powerful. New cup ideas were made, but some of the same strategies stayed fairly common and held up well. Then gold and silver came out. Moves changed and some new ones were added and the pokemon changed a bit and new ones were added. We tried to make our old knowledge of chromatics work, but we eventually had to delve into metallics and think of new things. We figure out gold and silver and then figure out crystal and things sort of die out, and now we're waiting for advance. What's going on? Basically we run out of things to figure out in each game. Do we have to wait for advance to come out before we can do new things? No, that's what new cups are for. The problem is new restrictions don't work. Most restrictions don't shake things up enough. Every time a new cup idea is posted, people think of who the "mewtwo" is going to be and who the "tobybro" is going to be and just keep going along using previous knowledge. Nobody is particularly interested in new cups because they think they generally already have an idea of what is going to happen without actually making teams and giving it additional thought. If a new cup, or even a new game for that matter, is going to be worth its salt, it's got to challenge what we already know to the point of us actually having to delve into it. GSC tradebacks made some old pokemon viable and even quite powerful, but it didn't alter existing strategies aside from the new pokemon and the counters to them. I targeted psychic pokemon because getting rid of all of them really is going to shake up RBY in ways that I haven't considered. I've also got a few plans for GSC, but those will come later. In short, the only way for a new cup to work is for it to challenge known strategy. If sandslash seems like a powerful contender now then I think I've done my job.

[ 11-20-2002, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: incompetent ]

- - - - -
http://giovanni.sourcecod.com/
A ridiculous amount of guides and Pokémon fanfiction inspired by Joseph Conrad and Aldous Huxley.

Blade Sabre
Farting Nudist
Member # 2858

Member Rated:
posted 11-20-2002 03:14 PM      Profile for Blade Sabre     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I did this with some friends from school years ago. It was good. But none of us knew how to fight anyway :P.

- - - - -
runescaped@yahoo.co.uk

Raptor17
Farting Nudist
Member # 2520

posted 11-27-2002 08:27 PM      Profile for Raptor17   Email Raptor17      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Excellent. It would be nice if the chromatics were rejuvinated. However, I'm not sure I understand how this would affect the problem of evasion. Could somebody please enlighten me? ._.
From: The Great White North | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
CHaRiZaRd
Farting Nudist
Member # 994

Member Rated:
posted 12-04-2002 05:48 PM      Profile for CHaRiZaRd   Author's Homepage   Email CHaRiZaRd   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not using evasion is usually a tacit agreement, for the most part anyway.

Most people do not like using evasion solely because it drags on battles and causes people to want to hurt you. I personally would like to use evasion, as it would make Haze more useful, thus making Weezing and Golbat more useful.

Since I'm a whiny whore, if a tournament were ever to be made, evasion would have to be limited to one or two pokemon per team or something like that.

Jolt135
Farting Nudist
Member # 1974

Member Rated:
posted 12-04-2002 08:58 PM      Profile for Jolt135   Author's Homepage   Email Jolt135   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If I had to write the rules, I'd limit the scale of Evade modifiers to -3/+3.

But I don't, and allowing a +6 is better than "censoring" a move.

From: Woodbridge, VA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Raptor17
Farting Nudist
Member # 2520

posted 12-05-2002 07:41 PM      Profile for Raptor17   Email Raptor17      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's a nice idea, but... -3?
From: The Great White North | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
MTG
Farting Nudist
Member # 2078

Member Rated:
posted 12-07-2002 09:47 PM      Profile for MTG   Author's Homepage   Email MTG   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why would you even want to revive Chromatics in the first place? :/
CHaRiZaRd
Farting Nudist
Member # 994

Member Rated:
posted 12-08-2002 01:18 PM      Profile for CHaRiZaRd   Author's Homepage   Email CHaRiZaRd   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Simple old school fun.

Why on earth not?

Caos2
Farting Nudist
Member # 104

Member Rated:
posted 12-19-2002 06:44 AM      Profile for Caos2   Email Caos2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Chromatics rule all!

Caos2 - the one that miss wasting all those afternoons in PBS

- - - - -
Slayer of Monsters, Avenger of the Wronged, and Lover of Easy Women.

From: Belo Horizonte | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mewone
I have a pokemon as my username. I mean, come on.
Member # 1694

Member Rated:
posted 12-31-2002 01:17 AM      Profile for Mewone     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm very interested. Banning psychic type Pokémon would indeed flip the metagame, and no one type would be dominant. Plus the move Psychic could have a strategical purpose, rather than just killing things in a flurry of feathers, fire, and blood. [Smile]
From: Azure Heights | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.