The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Onix Annex   » Arbok's Internet Cafe   » A new approach to PBS

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A new approach to PBS
Mewbot
Farting Nudist
Member # 1473

Rate Member
posted 04-23-2001 10:29 PM      Profile for Mewbot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ok, I am attempting the impossible here. I am trying to create an RBY PBS from scratch...

*dun dun DUUUNNNNNNN!*

Well, it's kind've weird, but I've heard that Blizzard's PBS code is virtually unreadable, and very slow. So, with all of that said, I am trying to create it in VB. There are a couple definites with this-

1. It's gonna be executable. I have no knowledge of languages other than VB, so I can't do the web thingy.

2. It's gonna be a person-to-person connection, a la IP's. It might seem to work best that way.

If I could get any advice or encouragement, just post it right here. It'll help me a lot, since I am no where near as advanced in programming as a lot of people here.

A last thing-I am not doing this for fame, and not for fortune. I am doing this because IMO, I think that PBS as it currently is a bit too slow and buggy for my tastes. And also, cause I want others to enjoy a considerably faster PBS.

Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

------------------
Never underestimate the radish.

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 04-23-2001 10:32 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
NeoSyrex has already done this. If you can get the networking code going, he's already finished a majority of the attack coding.

It's probably worth contacting him before getting in too deep.

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mick_Hale
Total Moron
Member # 419

Member Rated:
posted 04-23-2001 10:40 PM      Profile for Mick_Hale   Email Mick_Hale   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's been thought of, and thoroghly discussed. Executables just aren't portable enough. I've been through it in my thread already. YOu could give it a try. I can give you the Perl PBS code, but that would mean learning perl.

------------------
Anything I say should never, under any circumstances, be taken seriously. If you really want to take it seriously, try and use your best discretion.

From: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
starCaliber
is evil and also MewtwoSama
Member # 268

Member Rated:
posted 04-23-2001 10:46 PM      Profile for starCaliber   Email starCaliber   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mick_Hale: I can give you the Perl PBS code, but that would mean learning perl.

You think so, chief?

From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 04-23-2001 10:55 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mick_Hale: Executables just aren't portable enough.

Well, that depends on if you want to just do it, or do it right.

If he just wants it to work for Windows, that's cool, but he should keep in mind that NeoSyrex had problems even doing that, because Windows (even identical versions) have so many machine-specific differences...

Mick_Hale
Total Moron
Member # 419

Member Rated:
posted 04-24-2001 09:05 AM      Profile for Mick_Hale   Email Mick_Hale   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, depending on certain protocols, DLLs, and some other stuff for use in windows, the only thing that you would really have to worry about would be switching from win16 to win32 and the like. Programming in VB normally means you'll be using win32 nowadays.

Then again, now that I think about it, Win95, Win98FE, and Win98SE all have different internet whachits despite being virtually the same OS, and WinME doesn't do anything to solve it. Win2kPro is the wave of the future as far as good Microsoft OSs go. Unless you really wanna do it in DOS. That would be completely cool. But I figure in a while I'll be using Linux or UNIX, and there are always some complainers using Sun or MacOS.

SC, thanks for the clarification. I'll go sit in a corner now and wait for dinner. But seriously, Perl is good to know. CGI Perl is extremely powerful, and Perl shells are plenty fun. To each his own.

------------------
Anything I say should never, under any circumstances, be taken seriously. If you really want to take it seriously, try and use your best discretion.

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 04-24-2001 03:41 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mick_Hale: Then again, now that I think about it, Win95, Win98FE, and Win98SE all have different internet whachits despite being virtually the same OS, and WinME doesn't do anything to solve it.

Yup, that's what Neo ran into.

Win2kPro is the wave of the future as far as good Microsoft OSs go.

Yeah, but not for end users. Really, the reason Linux will never even dent the personal PC market is this..."Can Mom use Linux?"

Obviously not. So, we're stuck with Microsoft until the whole paradigm changes...

Mewbot
Farting Nudist
Member # 1473

Rate Member
posted 04-24-2001 07:44 PM      Profile for Mewbot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey guys!

One by one-

Mr.K-I dunno where to contact him. I can't get the networking code going before.

Mick-I don't wanna learn Perl. By the time I learn Perl, my PBS would be already finished.

Starcaliber-

Mr. K-I don't even wanna try scripts. It's gotta be executable. And that's the only way I can pull off a direct IP connection.

Mick-the DLLs will most likely be universal, except for the Winsock.

Mr. K-LOL

Anyway, thanks. If you have any more help, don't hesitate to post!

------------------

Mick_Hale
Total Moron
Member # 419

Member Rated:
posted 04-24-2001 10:46 PM      Profile for Mick_Hale   Email Mick_Hale   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Kernels. Winsock. These are the demons you must slay in order to make a good Win32 program. Unfortunately, you can't create a good win32 program without them. I hate to break it to you, but creating the executable is just gawd awful annoying unless you truly want to spend months learning about the differences in each Windows. It's just not worth it in the end. That's what makes the net so cool.

Sorry, simpsons flashback.
"Friends. Family. Religion. These are the demons you must slay in order to get ahead in life." At least I think that's the quote.

------------------

starCaliber
is evil and also MewtwoSama
Member # 268

Member Rated:
posted 04-25-2001 12:08 AM      Profile for starCaliber   Email starCaliber   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mick_Hale: These are the demons you must slay in order to get ahead in life.

It's "to succeed in business," chief.

From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 04-25-2001 01:25 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if this is entirely relevant to the discussion, but I'd like to share this quote:

"TCP is evil. Don't use TCP for a game. You would rather spend the rest of your life watching Titanic over and over in a theater full of 13-year-old girls."
-- Peter Lincroft

Mick_Hale
Total Moron
Member # 419

Member Rated:
posted 04-25-2001 10:29 AM      Profile for Mick_Hale   Email Mick_Hale   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the correction, SC. And White Cat, if TCP is that bad, then what should be used? But Titanic for all eternity in a theatre with a bunch of 13 year old girls, that's just a scary thought even to ahve to watch titanic, let alone with the preteen girls. Well, assuming they grow up eventually... Aww, nutz.

------------------

White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 04-26-2001 04:27 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
TCP is fine for normal Web browsing, but not for a game that has to send and receive multiples packets per second, especially when those packets have to get there in less than half a second to achieve decent gameplay.

More details can be found in the full article that I took the quote from.

------------------
"If you're walking alone in the forest, and a tree falls on you, do you make a sound?"
-- The Confused Philosopher

Mewbot
Farting Nudist
Member # 1473

Rate Member
posted 04-26-2001 08:20 AM      Profile for Mewbot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow, WC!

However, I really don't know how to script for a PBS over the web. And TCP never seemed as bad for Apprentice....

Anyway, IMO, a starfighter moving-action game is FAR more complex than PBS. It has to send all this data, coordinating movements. PBS has none of that, just battle/attack/update parts. The real buggers are the DLLs, though.

Thanks. If enough of you happen to drive me away from EXE, I dunno what to do. I'm not a big web-scripting fan, and it'll take a lot longer to do it.

------------------

KeroKato
Farting Nudist
Member # 230

Member Rated:
posted 04-27-2001 12:27 AM      Profile for KeroKato   Author's Homepage   Email KeroKato   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There have actually been quite a few people that have made (or tried to make) a RBY PBS from scratch.
It actually isn't that hard to do; however, the best working kind would require a big honkin' server, which few have access to (for free, anyway).

------------------
Visit Reality's End, the Home Page of Phantasy and the R.E. League

"I know if I had a monkey, I'd name it Peanuts... or Admiral Peanuts." ~ Jimmy Bond from The Lone Gunmen

"Hos before bros." ~ Lewis, The Drew Carey Show

From: I dunno, somewhere | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mewbot
Farting Nudist
Member # 1473

Rate Member
posted 04-27-2001 04:06 PM      Profile for Mewbot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
KK-one reason why mine is a direct IP connection. Few/no server troubles.

------------------

Mick_Hale
Total Moron
Member # 419

Member Rated:
posted 04-29-2001 12:52 PM      Profile for Mick_Hale   Email Mick_Hale   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
KK, ya don't need a big honkin server. All you need is a cable connection that's faster than 25 kbps and it'll be fine. Actually, in my area, thecable company is finally upgrading their routers and it will be running at Ethernet speeds, like some crazy 100 mbps. Theoretically, of course, but it's still pretty cool. At that speed, it's faster than T3 lines and comparable to OC32. Which means that my friend's server, which will be hosting Phat Bastard Snorlax will be incredibly fast and it's a powerful server as well, not something that needs to worry about crappy algorithms that are all relating to one equation. Not that Pokémon is all crappy algorithms, they're pretty advanced for a kid's game. But regardless, a P4 1 GHz should be able to handle it, whenever I figure out CGI. Which reminds me, as good as Perl is, CGI sucks. Big time. Whenever I get started with the applet I'll let you guys know, but first I wanna see some updated code from some people to give me a bit of a push with my PBS project. Preferably with variables that have real names and comments all over the program. I'm going to get back to work now.

------------------

Mewbot
Farting Nudist
Member # 1473

Rate Member
posted 04-30-2001 04:50 PM      Profile for Mewbot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey, mine has variables with real names!

Just found something that would make my life a lot easier-the VB Winsock control. I don't wanna mess around with DLLs too much...

Anyway, if anyone knows which version has the control, that'll help tremendously. My version is vb5cce, so I'll have to upgrade the code sooner to vb6 or even vb7 if it comes out lately.

If someone knows the vb version with the control, or where to DL it, I'll be a happy man.

------------------

Mewbot
Farting Nudist
Member # 1473

Rate Member
posted 05-02-2001 05:50 PM      Profile for Mewbot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
UPDATE-

Control is from vb6. It's much easier to use than messing with APIs.

Now, all I need to know is to find out all of the control's features, such as not messing up the variables. Since it's direct IP, there will be no central server. That way, it's a little strange transferring variables.

And if someone knows how to contact NeoSyrex, that'll be grand. I could use a short boost on the Attack coding part. The Direct-IP coding is the big stuff.

Thanks again....

EDIT-With the Winsock OCX, it's pretty universal. It won't be as bad as APIs with the Winsock control.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Mewbot (edited 05-02-2001).]

Mewbot
Farting Nudist
Member # 1473

Rate Member
posted 05-03-2001 04:24 PM      Profile for Mewbot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One more thing-I need pokemon pics. If anyone has pics of pokemon that don't take up a lot of memory, can ya tell me? Or, gimme a link? It'll really help. I'm beginning Pokemon/Stat coding. I'm not gonna do a DV thing, just have everyone at max-stats, since that's what everyone pretty much does in RBYPBS.

Also, any name suggestions? The name "PBS" is getting a little old...

------------------

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.