The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Onix Annex   » Arbok's Internet Cafe   » Project: PBS Applet

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Project: PBS Applet
Mick_Hale
Total Moron
Member # 419

Member Rated:
posted 04-12-2001 09:24 AM      Profile for Mick_Hale   Email Mick_Hale   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Crap. This code is damn annoying.

Well, this is probably the wrong forum to post this in, but I'd rather get crap and I almost prefer a bunch of hackers for this.

I recieved Blizzard's original PBS code and I'm doing a project around it. Now all I need is for people to test it for me and tell me bugs. Right now, nothing is set up, but it will be soon. I'll be telling you guys about updates and whatnot.

What I'm planning on doing is after cleaning up Blizzard's code, making it into somewhat understandable Perl code, adding comments and comprehensible variable names and the like for readability, I'll release the edited code. The original version will be the first code, only with comprehensible variables and comments. The next step will be to clear up bugs and stuff to make it work well. I then plan on converting it to a more structured approach in giving it procedures, functions, or whatever I can shove into the code to make it run more efficiently.

The final part of the project is more interesting. Aside from the fact that I'll be publicly releasing my code after every single update and version change, I also plan on making it into a Java Applet, one that can be run on any conventional web browser. That's going to be a complete pain in the ass, but it'll be well worth the experience. Once again, steps will be taken into creating this wonderous piece of crap sort of like what I plan on doing with the Perl part. Everything will be released to the public.

If all goes through well, I'll even get a chance to rewrite it into several different languages, maybe CGI C/C++, VB, and others.

So now I ask for a favour from everyone. I can't do this alone. While for the first few months this will be for a school project, after that it'll be purely for the fun of it. I need support from anyone that can lend a hand. If the current people who own PBSs or have modified the code in any way can help out, that'll be extremely cool. If there is anyone out there who is proficient in programming, that's pretty cool as well. Even more so, if your knowledge is limited to Perl and Java, that's still fine. If you want to contact me about this, ICQ me at #211772269 or e-mail me at shawntaub@yahoo.ca.

I already know that there will be some people who will want to give me hell for this, so this is my final plea: I'm not doing this for "glory". I don't even want to be "immortalized" by the code and the project. I just wanna have fun and learn more about programming, Perl, Java, and let some other people learn about Pokémon and programming at the same time. I joined Azure because I like Pokémon, and that sticks through for today. One of the reasons why I keep coming back is because of the immense programming applications within Pokémon. It's more fun than reprogramming pong, tetris, or nibbles for the millionth time.

(Esssentially, that means you either shut up and help or you shut up anyway.)

Thanx to you all in advance.

And a quick update, there is a host for this. My friend is hosting this for me at http://bait.matee.com/mikehale. This will be my personal site for the most part, but I will create a section dedicated to PBS.

------------------
"oh and remind me to add taping that show to the list of smart things you've done so far this year

now whered i put that post-it"
- Yavarice, attempting to pay me a compliment

From: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Psybro
Half Psyduck. Half Slowbro. All cop.
Member # 290

Member Rated:
posted 04-12-2001 02:10 PM      Profile for Psybro   Email Psybro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe the G/S PBS will work on a similar basis to what you're proposing (if it ever does work, natch).

[This message has been edited by Psybro (edited 04-12-2001).]

From: Sheffield, South Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
TeeJay
Farting Nudist
Member # 265

Member Rated:
posted 04-12-2001 04:31 PM      Profile for TeeJay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, but I'd rather have Mick running it than Darryn.

------------------
"the freakin OWNER of PBS..."
-UltimaMog

AIM: daBIGTom

From: Overland Park, Kansas, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mick_Hale
Total Moron
Member # 419

Member Rated:
posted 04-12-2001 04:58 PM      Profile for Mick_Hale   Email Mick_Hale   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the kind words, TeeJay. I'm doing the RBY one, though.

I have a name, now. It'll be called Phat Bastard Snorlax.

------------------
"oh and remind me to add taping that show to the list of smart things you've done so far this year

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 04-12-2001 05:51 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just made another minor upgrade to Pory...only an interface thing this time. (For the first time, it actually looks better in Netscape...and no one but White Cat cares...)

Anyway, I'll be releasing my code once it settles down. Right now, Pory is doing a ton of extra work, because my new file implementation is only half-assed at this point. Once it has a whole ass (and I clean up the code a bit more, so I don't embarrass myself), I'll be releasing it.

The only change I can think of that I've made that's completely self-contained are the new accurate-to-the-nearest-percentage life bars. If you're dying to have it, let me know, otherwise you can wait until I finish the file code, which I hope will be a giant step forward for the whole project.

Just one step, tho.

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
KeroKato
Farting Nudist
Member # 230

Member Rated:
posted 04-13-2001 04:41 AM      Profile for KeroKato   Author's Homepage   Email KeroKato   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mick_Hale:
Crap. This code is damn annoying.

Hel ya. Why do you think so few people have ever editted the PBS code? It takes a while just to get used to looking at the beast.

quote:
What I'm planning on doing is after cleaning up Blizzard's code, making it into somewhat understandable Perl code, adding comments and comprehensible variable names and the like for readability, I'll release the edited code. The original version will be the first code, only with comprehensible variables and comments. The next step will be to clear up bugs and stuff to make it work well. I then plan on converting it to a more structured approach in giving it procedures, functions, or whatever I can shove into the code to make it run more efficiently.

"Plan on" is correct. Well, unless you have days to spare devoting yourself to the code. I don't even have a life, and I still wasn't willing to go through with that.

quote:

The final part of the project is more interesting. Aside from the fact that I'll be publicly releasing my code after every single update and version change, I also plan on making it into a Java Applet, one that can be run on any conventional web browser. That's going to be a complete pain in the ass, but it'll be well worth the experience. Once again, steps will be taken into creating this wonderous piece of crap sort of like what I plan on doing with the Perl part. Everything will be released to the public.

Lemme guess, not much of a Java buff. Applets sound all well and good, especially since Java is the language of interaction, right? Wrong. You need a server that can handle a JavaServer to have any sort of chat or rapid file writing procedure. Same goes for C++ and other languages.
I'm not saying its impossible; I'm saying that you have to buy one, 'cause they don't come for free (unless you go to a college). I tried to rig up some Java code to make a mock-MUD once, but the bandwidth was too limited and it crashed every once and a while, still too great for a program to run on.

Just remember something, Mick. Many have tried to make these PBS things. Look at Lordy. Remember when that was supposed to be released? A month later and still nuthin'.
What sucks is that these things would be so easy to make with the right resources like a college server (the kind MUDs are on), but very few people willing to program these games have access to them.
And if anyone does, give to Mick, d@mm!t! PBSIM hasn't been doin' much, and all these G/S monkeys want their PBS now!

PS: if ya want the KK edits to the PBS script, just ask me. I have a new game I'm working on, plus a big freakin' back-up in my other projects. PBS isn't my game, I never use it, and freakin' TJ doesn't even give me credit for the work I do. Actually, methinks the ZIP file was here, but me could be wrong, and I don't care.

------------------
Visit Reality's End, the Home Page of Phantasy and the R.E. League

"I know if I had a monkey, I'd name it Peanuts... or Admiral Peanuts." ~ Jimmy Bond from The Lone Gunmen

From: I dunno, somewhere | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mick_Hale
Total Moron
Member # 419

Member Rated:
posted 04-13-2001 07:22 AM      Profile for Mick_Hale   Email Mick_Hale   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I must say, Kero, this is a much welcome change from what was said earlier. Regarding Java, it's not much of an issue. There are four choices: stick with Perl, upgrade to C/C++ CGI, go with the applet, or make an entirely new program in an executable file. I could stick with Perl, but Perl is not powerful enough for my liking. I could go with C/C++, but I'd rather not have to learn a new language just yet. Perl is hard enough. Java poses the same problem, but I do have a small enough background in Java to give me a bit of a jumpstart. That and the other problems you talked of are indeed problems unless we have a really good server. And of course, making something into an executable file completely screws up portability, so that idea is scrapped immediately.

That and your link to the zip doesn't wanna work. Once again, and I cannot stress this enough, this will be an RBY PBS, not G/S. It may provide a great chance for the "G/S monkeys" to use somewhat functioning code, but I know very little about G/S and all the new shit, and I don't plan on learning it any time soon.

Once again, glad to see so much support.

[edit] And while I remember, if there is only one thing that I learned from my grade 11 teacher, and trust me, there is only one thing I learned from the incomprehensible genius, it's how to read even the ugliest code without a debug window. It's simply a matter of using plenty of output statements that go straight to the screen and show variable values and stuff. Makes life about a billion times easier.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Mick_Hale (edited 04-13-2001).]

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 04-13-2001 12:45 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mick_Hale: There are four choices: stick with Perl, upgrade to C/C++ CGI, go with the applet, or make an entirely new program in an executable file.

I don't think perl is really the issue here. It is a nasty language, but then so is c. The problem is HTML. Unless you do something like the Java client, changing languages doesn't make much difference.

...I'd rather not have to learn a new language just yet.

If you know how to program, learning new languages is fairly trivial, altho it does suck spending a buncha time trying to figure out the difference between %variable and @variable. It's all semantics, tho, doesn't take much time to pick up. And you only have learn lessons like that once.

And of course, making something into an executable file completely screws up portability, so that idea is scrapped immediately.

Yep.

If you do the Java thing, you should be able to set up a peer-to-peer connection, so you don't need a server, by the way. You might want to talk to NeoSyrex about that, since he's had some experience setting that kinda thing up.

It's simply a matter of using plenty of output statements that go straight to the screen and show variable values and stuff.

I didn't think that was really a trick...I think everyone does that as their first attempt to debug.

Anyway, good luck on the project.

KeroKato
Farting Nudist
Member # 230

Member Rated:
posted 04-15-2001 01:27 AM      Profile for KeroKato   Author's Homepage   Email KeroKato   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Holy wholy holey flying poop on a monkey!
Executable? Definantly!
I was just testin' out this new game I'm making written in Perl (CGI/HTML game), and it is on an F2S server. Despite all these similarities to PBS, it goes faster than PBS ever did -- even when PBS only had one set of people fighting on it at the time
One of PBS's main things is its booty slowness. I say either get the exe out or rewrite the code to go faster (I've pointed out many times before that the code is quite primitive; it could be brought up to speed... with a lot of work).
I still stick by my suggestion to make an entirely new PBS (and a new name too, ya lazy bums).
Wow, K, you had trouble fig'in' the difference between scalar and associative arrays (% and @)? This just proves my point about looking over code as the worst way to learn a language, and it seems you just helped me prove that a li'l more.
Ever hear of perl.com? They got some stuff.

------------------

"I know if I had a monkey, I'd name it Peanuts... or Admiral Peanuts." ~ Jimmy Bond from The Lone Gunmen

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 04-16-2001 12:20 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
KeroKato: Executable? Definantly!

If it's a client-side executable, it'd have to work on all the different flavors of Windows, MacOS, Linux, etc. if it's to be as universal as PBS. That's a pretty good reason not to do it that way.

Despite all these similarities to PBS, it goes faster than PBS ever did -- even when PBS only had one set of people fighting on it at the time

The speed of the code itself is really quite trivial. What makes PBS slow is waiting for the updates, which has everything to do with the way data is transmitted and nothing to do with the speed of the scripts. Optimizing the scripts for speed is a waste of time. The problem is, as always, is that an inherently noninteractive protocol (HTML) is being used for a game based entirely on interaction.

I've pointed out many times before that the code is quite primitive...

Yes, you have, but that's irrelevant in this case.

Wow, K, you had trouble fig'in' the difference between scalar and associative arrays (% and @)?

I had trouble finding a decent tutorial on perl (perl.com sucks), and you can't exactly plug @ or % into a search engine and hope to get something meaningful. The concepts are easy enough to understand, but my point was that the semantics of a language can be a pain the first time thru.

This just proves my point about looking over code as the worst way to learn a language, and it seems you just helped me prove that a li'l more.

I still completely disagree. But, whatever, you say a whole lot of stuff I disagree with...

KeroKato
Farting Nudist
Member # 230

Member Rated:
posted 04-17-2001 12:55 AM      Profile for KeroKato   Author's Homepage   Email KeroKato   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Don't know what K is talkin' 'bout. I found a lot of documentation in perl.com about arrays. That's how I found out how to make arrays in arrays and stuff.
And yes, the PBS code is slow, but what really bogs it down is its unnecessary file opening. During battle itself, the ban list is checked. File opening is prolly the most slowing procedure.
There would be a few case scenarios of banning breeching, but having the ban check only on the sign-up and log-in pages would save the server a whole lot of checking.
But then again, that's just what I think, and I'm an idiot.

------------------

"Hos before bros." ~ Lewis, The Drew Carey Show

Mick_Hale
Total Moron
Member # 419

Member Rated:
posted 04-17-2001 08:53 AM      Profile for Mick_Hale   Email Mick_Hale   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Learning Programming Languages in just 10 easy steps

1. Choose a language you want to learn.
2. Go to the local Grand and Toy or any store with a computer book clearance rack.
3. Try and find a book relating to the topic.
4. Splurge.
5. Find programs written in that language that has a compiler/interpreter on CD or disk.
6. Start reading books.
7. Try and understand WTF is going on.
8. Interpret the code.
9. Update the code.
10. Never stop learning more.

Easiest way to learn a language and it won't cost you thousands of dollars for a university or college course, nor will you have to go nuts buying top of the line compilers/interpreters and new books from the local bookstore. Cheap as anything, and just as efficient.

As for the slowness of PBS, there are a number of things that attribute to it.

First off, the constant refreshing of pages while checking if the opponent made a move yet or stuff. That takes forever, especially with dialup. I'm still living in the stone age, I dunno about anyone else. I'd rather download an applet once, or even (this is a new idea, one that will not happen) a macromedia flash or shockwave object.

Second, yes, the file opening and closing takes forever. But that's only if you're running a Windows server. NT is slower than me in the mornings with this stuff.

Third, HTTP is bad, it's just wrong. But, unfortunately, we still have to work with it, and that's all we have available to us now. It's universal, it's standard, and it has serious limitations. But there are ways around it, and the best way is through an applet or shockwave. Once again, shockwave is not happening cuz I really don't wanna learn shockwave.

Fourth, the code is pretty shitty, yes, but nothing that can't be cleaned up. The code is nearly impossible to read. When I first recieved the code, it made no sense whatsoever, but at that time, I barely understood the concept of scalars. Now that I have a basic understanding of variable types, it's getting much easier.

Fifth, and finally, because of everyone's bitching about the code, I have to take time to read each post that bitches about it and that's precious time I could be spending learning Perl and Java and working on the code. So stuff it.

Otherwise, thanks for your input. There's been no progress since my last post, mainly because my computer teacher wanted me to change my research project on thursday, thus effectively giving me three days to think of a new subject (which only took one second after cursing the Ontario computer curriculum), writing an essay (which didn't take that long, considering how pissed I was), editing (which took several hours), and research (which complied with my essay, so I didn't care.) Bah.

[edit] Which reminds me. How the PBS works with files is comparable to how I find papers on a messy desk. Not cool, but nothing that can't be dealt with. Everyone hates cleaning, but it makes things work more efficiently most of the time.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Mick_Hale (edited 04-17-2001).]

Mewbot
Farting Nudist
Member # 1473

Rate Member
posted 04-17-2001 08:15 PM      Profile for Mewbot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mick, good point about learning the programming.

A couple things-

Shockwave would be grand if it could happen. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it, considering your comments.

Also, HTML, for PBS standards is a little too slow. It might be the easiest method, but certainly not the best.

So, the best options would be Java, or an executable. Executable would be the fastest, but Mac users wouldn't be happy. Java is pretty compatible, but a tad slower. So, all in all, it's your choice.

(Wish I could give you some advice, but my programming knowledge is limited to vb4! )

------------------
Never underestimate the radish.

Mick_Hale
Total Moron
Member # 419

Member Rated:
posted 04-17-2001 10:12 PM      Profile for Mick_Hale   Email Mick_Hale   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've been thinking about Shockwave, and the more I think about it, the better it sounds. Unfortunately, I really don't want to go to the trouble of learning something that is so graphics-oriented, especially when the extent of my graphics skills are scanning, resizing, and downloading stuff from the net. However, if there is anyone out there that knows Flash/Shockwave, I'd be more than happy to give you a jumpstart.

Gah, VB4. I know VB 6 and it sucks. VB oversimplifies. Once again, for the executable, not happening, but I would like to point out that there is other stuff out there aside from Mac and Windows. Unix does exist, as does Linux, and the millions of other OSs.

Anyhoo, I'm still doing my initial research needed to understand Perl and whatnot, but if you want to help me out and mail me some edited code that makes sense, send it to me at shawntaub@yahoo.ca. Lemme rephrase that. I'm begging you, please send me some comprehensible code!

------------------

Mewbot
Farting Nudist
Member # 1473

Rate Member
posted 04-17-2001 10:34 PM      Profile for Mewbot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yea, I know that there are other OS-s. However, the 2 major ones are Mac and Windows, so I referred to those. Yes, some other OS-s wouldn't be happy with an EXE.

No edited code from me....I no nothing about Perl, and I know nothing about the current PBS code, except for the fact that it's near unreadable!

Yea, it's kind've sad, vb4. I do happen to have a version of vb5, though. They aren't too different...

Anyways, good luck on your PBS!

------------------

Mick_Hale
Total Moron
Member # 419

Member Rated:
posted 04-19-2001 09:41 AM      Profile for Mick_Hale   Email Mick_Hale   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
DAMMIT!

Ya know, I never knew it could be so hard to find a good server that has a good connection with plenty of space and with CGI access that's free.

That and everyone telling me that .ca domains being free, well, internic.ca wants to charge me over 400 for registration.

Couldn't they make my life a little easier? I hate dialup. However, on a brighter note, apparently, the cable company is going to be upgrading in our area soon. Which means that the server that's currently hosting my stuff will be working at speeds faster than most T1 connections. Now it's a matter of patience and a wait to the summer.

Well, as for development in the actual PBS, I'm gonna try and learn flash and pray that someone has something that I can learn shockwave from. It just sounds like the ideal way of doing a PBS, but I'm the last programmer who should be doing anything with it. My teacher is making me change the topic of the ISP because it's not beneficial to the "community" so instead I'm just going to write a tutorial on Perl. The summer will be the ideal time to bust my ass on the PBS, after which second semester next school year I have off.

------------------

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 04-20-2001 12:51 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
KeroKato: And yes, the PBS code is slow, but what really bogs it down is its unnecessary file opening.

Again, I disagree. The only way you can transmit data from one player to another using standard HTML is thru files. The file code is not as efficient as it could be, and I've taken a few steps to remedy that, but it's really not the main issue.

File opening is prolly the most slowing procedure.

No, the problem is that one player can't know exactly when the other has decided to do something, so the Wait Mode checks on things every few seconds. That's the problem. If you devoted the rest of your life to improving the speed of the script itself, you'd still never notice the difference when you played, because that's not where the slowness is.

The slowness is a combination of the hard-coded delay in Wait Mode and net transfer time. Even when I'm playing on Porygon itself, there is still a pain-in-the-ass delay, due to the way the file transfer system works.

Again, it's not Blizzard's fault, unless you want to blame him for choosing HTML, which I don't...

There would be a few case scenarios of banning breeching, but having the ban check only on the sign-up and log-in pages would save the server a whole lot of checking.

I already made this change a while ago, and it had no discernable effect. It's the smart thing to do, yes, and it's cleaner code, but it has no real-world relevance with regards to speed.

Mick, before you waste much time with Shockwave, make sure you can make peer-to-peer connections with it. If not, you might be wasting your time. I don't know squat about Shockwave, so I can't help you with that.

Mick_Hale
Total Moron
Member # 419

Member Rated:
posted 04-20-2001 08:37 AM      Profile for Mick_Hale   Email Mick_Hale   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, with further delays and my teacher changing my project, things won't get started for real until this summer and then second semester next school year I will get some stuff done. From what I know now, shockwave can handle peer-to-peer data transfer. I have several friends that are into Flash/Shockwave, and it's been unanimously suggested that for what I wanna do it'll be Shockwave. Shockwave is more powerful than Flash and it's also more programming-oriented. Despite all this, it's still done mostly by graphics. And I hate graphics.

So until I muster up the patience to learn Shockwave, it ain't happenin'.

So essentially, while the project will happen, it'll take me several months to get off my ass to do something about it. School is such a bother, and the fact that I need money isn't helpful either. So maybe I'll take K's route and stop eating and sleeping and all other unnecesary human bodily functions.

------------------

KeroKato
Farting Nudist
Member # 230

Member Rated:
posted 04-22-2001 02:00 AM      Profile for KeroKato   Author's Homepage   Email KeroKato   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
KeroKato: And yes, the PBS code is slow, but what really bogs it down is its unnecessary file opening.
Again, I disagree. The only way you can transmit data from one player to another using standard HTML is thru files. The file code is not as efficient as it could be, and I've taken a few steps to remedy that, but it's really not the main issue.

Its nice that you can read and all.
I was talking about openning the ban list every load of pbs.cgi, not character data. Of course that has to be opened, but I was suggestion getting rid of the "unnecessary" file opening, hence me speaking of the ban list. Just have the ban list in the sign up portion. I already explained the rest of what I had to say about security breeches already, so I won't restate 'em.

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 04-22-2001 02:12 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
KeroKato: Its nice that you can read and all.

Thanks, Paco.

I was talking about openning the ban list every load of pbs.cgi, not character data.

And I'm telling you that's irrelevant. I did remove this code because it didn't function properly and was otherwise unnecessary, but even if I didn't, it wouldn't make a scrap of difference.

I already explained the rest of what I had to say about security breeches already, so I won't restate 'em.

Whew, that's a relief!

Mick_Hale
Total Moron
Member # 419

Member Rated:
posted 04-22-2001 10:52 PM      Profile for Mick_Hale   Email Mick_Hale   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ooohhh, yeah. That's good. Taking off those pesky lines to make it easier. Oh, baby!

I love perl. Instead of writing some bullshit three line variable swap, Perl rocks with a simple statement:

($a, $b) = ($b, $a);

And you can do it for any variables. Pardon me as I complete my orgasm. Oh, Perl! Oh, YEAH!

I will never be able to use any other language again.

This random piece of crap is brought to you by the letter H and the number 2. You may quote me on that.

Anyhoo, where was I? Yeah. So the thing is that now I see how easy perl is, I'm kicking myself for not learning it earlier. Of course, I've never been good at string manipulation, so regexp will be excruciatingly painful but so worth it in the end. After which I can tackle the utmost imortant question of Post vs. Get. Gah, I love this stuff.

------------------

Mewbot
Farting Nudist
Member # 1473

Rate Member
posted 04-23-2001 08:20 PM      Profile for Mewbot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, that's a change! I was hoping for one in Shockwave....

Well, to get to the point, it's good that you are doing this. If you pull this off, it'll be a real success. Oh, and by the way, good job, good luck, and congratulations.

------------------

KeroKato
Farting Nudist
Member # 230

Member Rated:
posted 04-27-2001 12:24 AM      Profile for KeroKato   Author's Homepage   Email KeroKato   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Post and Get are quite different. Namely, Post 0wnz Get. Get is really only for things where you don't need to send a lot of information (like viewing an account and such).
I don't like Perl much. Give me C based languages. The few things, though, that make Perl rock big time are:
-Numberic Adding (+) and String Adding (.): I always hate it in JavaScript when your numbers turn into strings. Bah!
-split(): If there's a function that I use more, you'd have to consider ';' a function.
The lack of classes (or at least easy to use classes... I do believe you can do some stuff with 'use', but I haven't read into it) does kinda suck, but its sucking less now that I'm learning more about Hashes of Hashes. They kinda look like classes.

------------------

"Hos before bros." ~ Lewis, The Drew Carey Show

Mick_Hale
Total Moron
Member # 419

Member Rated:
posted 04-27-2001 09:18 AM      Profile for Mick_Hale   Email Mick_Hale   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, fuzznut, the language is incredible with string manipulation! I just don't have patience to understand RegExp!

But seriously, there is something like OOP. I don't know anything about it just yet, but I have a friend that writes stuff in it like mad. He's a Perl god as far as I'm concerned. Anyhoo, with the stuff and the whatnot and the hey hey hey, Perl is good fun. I just need to understand it better. Good fun.

------------------
Anything I say should never, under any circumstances, be taken seriously. If you really want to take it seriously, try and use your best discretion.

Mick_Hale
Total Moron
Member # 419

Member Rated:
posted 05-03-2001 08:54 AM      Profile for Mick_Hale   Email Mick_Hale   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yet another reason to have in-game chat:
Losers like Michael who think that it's funny to have a Scyther with Rolling Kick and Twinneedle who quit playing after they find out that my fully amnesia-ed Snorlax with Ice Beam could romp his whole team. All I got to see was Zapdos, Articuno, Scyther, and Venusaur. And he keeps wanting to battle me as I just keep whooping his cheating ass.

Just needed to vent some anger. And while I remember, if I can't even understand how to make a crappy Hello World program in Perl, I think I suck.

[edit]
ACK! Moltres? WITH SLEEP POWDER?!?!?! And his Scyther has Mega Kick as well? Who let TPMers come here? Moltres has Fire Blast, well, at least there is one legal move. Lax downed to a second Fire Blast, despite that I have two amnesias? Why do I bother fighting this guy? Just so I could prove that legal moves are more fun? FUZZZZ!!!! One Crithit surf from Blastoise downs a full health Electrode? Is that possible? Shit, when I make my PBS, I will intentionally block IPs of users that cheat. ACK! HYDRO PUMP AS WELL??!! Suck it down, 'Zam scored a crit hit and downed that bitch 'toise. Out comes Zapdos, only to.... THUNDER? What the FAQ? And Rhydon absorbs it anyway, deals a Body Slam to Venusaur, then dies to a Razor Leaf, so I send out Tauros to Blizzard the Penis Whore to hell as it crithits. Out comes his Articuno, sending a Blizzard my way as I thunderbolt, downs my Tauros again as we exchange the same moves, so 'Zam could come out and Psychic his ass to Frozen Bird Hell! But first, he gets in a Blizzard that misses, and then I psychic his ass to hell. Zapdos and Kazam at it now, kazam thunderwaves as Zapdos gets FPed, I recover and he thunders again to miss. I psychic that erectric bird of bullshit to the bird sanctuary in the sky, and he's gonna... what's taking so long... fucking HTTP... waiting, waiting, .... maybe I should make this another thread, just so I can complain.... gah, I'm going to read more messages. I'll be back.

------------------
Anything I say should never, under any circumstances, be taken seriously. If you really want to take it seriously, try and use your best discretion.

[This message has been edited by Mick_Hale (edited 05-03-2001).]

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.