next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » The Courtyard   » Karp Park   » Warhammer 40k

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Warhammer 40k
Lark84
My skeleton is made of creamy nougat.
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 10-14-2004 01:48 PM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Long story short, my new hobby is Warhammer 40k, and I need a good guide on how to assemble a decent army. My chosen team is Tau.

The mistake I am trying to avoid is buying a lot of stuff in the beginning, then later start planning an army, and ditching some or all of my old stuff. In other words, I want to plan, right from day 1.

If I've understood it correctly, I haven't even bought a rulebook or Codex yet, what you put on your miniatures decides their stats, and I don't want to have to ditch 10 painted troopers just because I gave them the wrong type of rifle, or whatever.

Of course, there's the "counts as"-rule when playing with friends, but it's always nice to do things the right way.

I don't want to start play becuase I hope to be a pro or make a living of it, just for fun and because my friends do it. But Warhammer is an expensive hobby, so, as I said, I want to do it right from day 1.

URL:s or tips greatly appreciated.

Jman
Farting Nudist
Member # 618

Member Rated:
posted 10-14-2004 06:32 PM      Profile for Jman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip: Do not waste your money and time.
Lark84
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 10-15-2004 10:48 AM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
that was pretty funny
TeLeFonE
X-treme rotary telephone
Member # 2293

Member Rated:
posted 10-15-2004 12:57 PM      Profile for TeLeFonE   Email TeLeFonE   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I smirked

- - - - -
fuck this username is gay

Jaybee
Farting Nudist
Member # 1781

posted 10-21-2004 06:16 AM      Profile for Jaybee   Email Jaybee   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Buy the Codex, then buy the rulebook.

Then, buy whatever you think looks cool, seeing as though you will never paint them all anyway =/

Edit: wtf you can make a living out of it lol

[ 10-21-2004, 06:17 AM: Message edited by: Jaybee ]

D-Teclis
Farting Nudist
Member # 974

Member Rated:
posted 10-21-2004 08:05 AM      Profile for D-Teclis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Long story short, my new hobby is Warhammer 40k,
"yay"

and I need a good guide on how to assemble a decent army. My chosen team is Tau.
"Not a bad choice, and it won't be a pain in the ass to paint them all (not like Chaos for example)."

The mistake I am trying to avoid is buying a lot of stuff in the beginning, then later start planning an army, and ditching some or all of my old stuff. In other words, I want to plan, right from day 1.
"Get the codex (as suggested before) and see what is their speciality (hint: they don't like to see the ennemy near them)"

If I've understood it correctly, I haven't even bought a rulebook or Codex yet, what you put on your miniatures decides their stats, and I don't want to have to ditch 10 painted troopers just because I gave them the wrong type of rifle, or whatever.
"get the V4 box (battle for Macragge) to get tyran and space marines to train a bit, with the rulebook, and the codex. For the weapons, don't worry [Smile] "

Of course, there's the "counts as"-rule when playing with friends, but it's always nice to do things the right way.
"The -counts as- rule plain sucks.If you don't want to speend a lot of money, but you don't want to use tokens or cards, agree with the other players for a decent size.If you are alone, and just want to paint, the rulebook isn't necessary, and you can build your army little by little, wich is also another aspect of the hobby (I have chaos and space wolves, and I never battled with them, but I battled in WB with high elves)."

I don't want to start play becuase I hope to be a pro or make a living of it, just for fun and because my friends do it. But Warhammer is an expensive hobby, so, as I said, I want to do it right from day 1.

URL:s or tips greatly appreciated.
" forgeworld.co.uk to see some impressive stuff (titans...)"

- - - - -
Hearing about brats getting their butt's kicked is always satisfying.~~Pokegod

Lark84
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 10-21-2004 03:35 PM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I bought a Tau Battleforce and the Codex Tau yesterday, actually, so these tips were one day too late [Smile] However, I think I made a pretty solid choice, and the guys in the stores (I went to two to get opinions) agreed with me. I'll probably expand with some special characters and more troops later on.

Still need to get my hands on the actual rulebook, though...

For the weapons, don't worry [Smile]

But page 21 of the Codex Tau says, under "Using the army lists", sentence two, "Remember that you cannot field models that are equipped with weapons and wargear not shown on the model"...

I guess it's not that big of a deal for regular troopers, more so for vehicles (in this case battlesuits), but I've already got a tip about using Blu-Tac to attach the weapons so I can try out different configurations before gluing them. Still...

"The -counts as- rule plain sucks.

Why does it suck? I haven't actually read the rulebook yet, but a friend (who plays it) explained it to me like something along the lines of "It allows you to use a model as another one in case you want to without buying more models".

Doesn't seem that bad to me, and it would be especially helpful if I put the wrong kind of grenades on a trooper (see above).

I also heard that "counts as" allows you to play with converted models. I plan on making some conversions, since I like modelling a lot, probably more than gaming. (that's why I chose Tau, you can't go wrong with mechas)

Thanks for the URL, I'll check it out! I've already seen some really cool Tau vehicles from ForgeWorld.

[edit: spelling]

[ 10-21-2004, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Lark84 ]

D-Teclis
Farting Nudist
Member # 974

Member Rated:
posted 10-21-2004 04:15 PM      Profile for D-Teclis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, actually, if you went to a GW store, they will simply agree with you to make you buy (you can try in a third shop).

For the weapons, it's just to avoid a figurine with a wrong weapon, like an Ork with space marine's weapon.

Well, I consider that the -counts as- rule sucks mostly due to some abuses.
In the W 40k v2 box, there was cards supposed to represent dreadnoughts. Someone wanted to represent his whole army this way :/
An other example is to use a simple soldier (space marine with bolter) as if it was a better one (sergeant with combined weapons...)
If I love the -wysiwyg- rule, I'm not that picky on grenades [Smile]

- - - - -
Hearing about brats getting their butt's kicked is always satisfying.~~Pokegod

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.