The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » The Courtyard   » Karp Park   » ITT you paste obscure fan jargon about anything

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ITT you paste obscure fan jargon about anything
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 01-09-2004 05:09 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Turns out that Pelikan will be re designing, not discontinuing, the M400 line. Apparently, the M400 line will have more gold-plated trim and a two-tone 14kt nib, making it look very much like the old M600 (bless those marketing wizards at Pelikan!!!). Pelikan's goal here is to further differentiate the M250 and M400 lines, both of which currently use the same single-tone nib. The new M400's have increased in price from $215 to $235 (however, you'll probably be able to get the old M400's at better prices as retailers must liquidate inventory).
Here are some of the specs of the new M1000: length closed (14.5cm); length open, capped (17cm); cap length (7cm); weight, uninked (32gm); clip length (4.5cm).
I recently tried an M1000 with a medium nib. Like the M800, it's very smooth with great flow, producing a very wet line. The feed is HUGE and the nib is even more flexible than the M800. I was able to get good line variation by applying more pressure. All in all, it's an excellent pen (What did you expect? It's a Pelikan!).

[ 01-09-2004, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: cfalcon ]

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
MewtwoSama
Asshole
Member # 12

Member Rated:
posted 01-09-2004 07:46 PM      Profile for MewtwoSama   Author's Homepage   Email MewtwoSama   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I got a great story that lead to something like this. my buddy worked at a hollywood video, video rental store, and at night there would always be around 10-15 kids who thought they were tough asses and skated around the front of the store, and had no respect for the owner or the customers trying to get in. well, one day the owner/manager came out and yelled at the kids, and they, trying to be tough skater hardasses, said shit like fuck you, and threw there candy and shit at him, then took off, only to come back an hour later, and cause more problem. so the manager was so pissed off, beyond calling the police, he wanted revenge. he got punked out by 10-15 12yr olds!! so he went next door, a sears hardware, and bought some little nuts(various sizes) and some ball bearings, and quess what he did. yep, he threw them all over the ground where they skated so when they came back later at night when it was darker, they wouldnt be able to see them, and he was hoping they would trip and leave. so it worked, a kid tried to do something like grind off the rail and then land and jump down the stairs, well he grinded the rail alright, but he landed on a nut, flew off the skateboard, head first into the concrete steps, and then rolled down. his face was fucked up!!
his parents tried to use legal matters and sue the buisness, but the courts ruled in favor of the manager, saying something about kids loitering after hours, and the manager isnt entitled to clean up after the kids at night, only when he gets there in the morning.

- - - - -
Hade ni ikuze!

From: Abyss of Evil | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Psybro
Half Psyduck. Half Slowbro. All cop.
Member # 290

Member Rated:
posted 01-09-2004 08:00 PM      Profile for Psybro   Email Psybro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ya, distortion is live only during where meg is cymabals and snare. verse 3 and 5.
whammy is one octave lower you know when, and he use's it for bends at normal pitch. after the fifth verse it's all distorsion.

remember, this is live only.

studio is just one octave lower onf one track and normal guitar on one stereo track.

From: Sheffield, South Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
MewtwoSama
Asshole
Member # 12

Member Rated:
posted 01-09-2004 08:16 PM      Profile for MewtwoSama   Author's Homepage   Email MewtwoSama   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Um, Body? May I have a word with you?

You’re disgusting, do you know that? You ooze, and smell, and make godawful noises, and I have just about had enough of you.

Take the spider bite, for instance. Did you really need to make such a major production out of a tiny little thing? I mean, think about it, would you? Here’s this itty bitty nibble from some creature who’s only trying to stay alive. He’s getting by with whatever he can scrounge up, doing the best he can, and you have to make this big fucking ordeal out of it? The swelling was bad enough, and the itch nearly drove me outta my mind, but don’t you think the bloody puss oozing from that HUGE hole was taking things a WEE bit too far? Melodramatic much?

And speaking of major productions, I’m sorry the flu virus got in. Really, I am. I did everything I could do to keep it out; I washed our hands, I got plenty of sleep, and I even took the goddamn shot, but it was a sneaky little bastard and it invaded us somehow. You didn’t have to punish me quite so severely, you bitch. I’m never going to forgive you the Toilet Episode. Never. You couldn’t wait to vomit until AFTER you’d finished the diarrhea? You just HAD to do them both at the same time? You gave me just enough warning so I could turn and kneel at the Porcelain Princess, but you didn’t give me enough time to flush! Making me puke into a pot full of shit went waaaaay beyond torture, you sadist. I’m STILL fucking gagging.

And what in the HELL is with the noise? Fine, you’re hungry. You know as well as I do that there’s a time and a place to eat, and in the middle of a business meeting is neither the time, nor the place. You couldn’t wait for one hour? Just sixty short minutes? I promised you that after the meeting I’d stuff you so full that you wouldn’t be able to breathe, but noooo, you had to whine and rumble and make sure EVERYONE knew that I was starving you. You poor poor thing. Now we can’t go to work without people handing us food at the door. They’re never going to let us live it down. You goddamn baby. I hope you’re happy.

But nooooo, apparently you’re not, because after I fed you (remember the yummy ice-cream?), you filled us so full of gas that I thought we were going to explode. So shoot me for liking ice-cream… but for god’s sake, don’t shoot the people behind me! I tried to convince our date that it was the guy sitting in front of us who was making that stink, but he wasn’t buying it. He knew it was us. You just HAD to let ‘er rip in the middle of the theater when I was laughing so hard, did you? You dumbass. We could have gotten some head, but who in his right mind would want to put his face next to something that smells like that? You are SO outta here.

And now, thanks to your oozing stinking noisy self, we’re stuck here with this LOSER, who was the best we could catch because he has NO standards, none whatsoever, and it looks as if the moron hasn’t a fucking clue what to do with us. I hate you. As soon as he leaves, your pathetic ass is going with him. Who needs you anyway?

What are you letting him do? I can’t believe this! You wicked little pervert! You are going WAY too far this time. You filthy whore! You CAN’T let him touch us THERE! Oh, you bitch. You rotten, SLUTTY, little bitch! You’re gonna pay for this. Oh, I’m gonna get you. I’m gonna. I’m. I’m. Oh. Oh my god. Yes. More. ohmygod yes YES! moremoremore ohhhhhhhh YES! YES! YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Jesus H Christ on a freakin’ stick. It’s been so long that I forgot you could do that. Will you do it again? Right now? Pleeease? Pretty please with sugar on top? Okay! Fine! I’ll forgive all your dramas, and noises, and farts. Forget everything I just said! But you have to promise to do that again. EVERYDAY. Have we got a deal? Do you swear? Cross your heart and hope to die and pinkie double SWEAR?

All right. You can stay.

- - - - -
Hade ni ikuze!

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 01-09-2004 08:52 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My experience is that a long term campaign *needs* people to have mental images of the people and places, no matter how vague, and an expectation of how things act, beyond simple "elves like trees, dwarves like mountains" kind of things. A long term campaign needs it, and a short term campaign benefits from it. I don't want to draw up a world that looks and acts exactly like a thousand other ones, so I usually try to make up some history and crap like that. I don't expect players to care as much as me- I don't want them to, because if they want to know 7 levels of depth when I've only got 5, I have to go generate 3 more or something. But I want the place to have a different flavor, so your character's actions can matter.

Like, in the place where you guys where, the elves have nobles, and the nobles are aloof and don't care what happens outside of a small region, even though they have the power to help, they just don't care. There are "historical" reasons for that that never came up, and I am totally fine with that not coming up, and no one caring.

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 01-09-2004 08:58 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Disney fans from around the world have come here to express their belief that Disney is ruining the park by closing this classic ride in favor of the "next big thing". It is up to us to let Disney know how we feel about this proposed change before it is too late, or at least before they make another decision of equivalent stupidity. Mr. Toad took his last Wild Ride on Monday, September 7, 1998. Disney did not confirm this until less than a week before The Ride was scheduled to close, after lying to us for almost a year. While a Winnie-the-Pooh ride has a definite place in Walt Disney World, it was not necessary to kill Mr. Toad to make room for Pooh. Please let Disney know that they should have put the Pooh ride somewhere else. Were it not for the pure greed of the Disney company, Mr. Toad and Pooh could have lived in harmony.
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 01-09-2004 09:07 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I didn't write that, but point taken.
From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
10,000Lb.Snorlax
loves long time.
Member # 13

Member Rated:
posted 01-09-2004 11:00 PM      Profile for 10,000Lb.Snorlax   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A question that is commonly raised is, "When should I evolve my Pokémon?". The answer depends on the Pokémon you have.

Some Pokémon evolve on their own once they reach a certain Level. You can permit this to happen, or delay evolution by pressing the B button during the evolution sequence. The option to evolve will be presented again the next time a Level is gained, unless your Pokémon has reached L100, the highest Level attainable. L100 Pokémon cannot evolve unless they are stone- or trade-evolved Pokémon.

You might choose to delay evolution simply because of personal preference (is there any question that Psyduck is cooler than Golduck?), but there's another, less subjective reason: pre-evolved forms of Pokémon learn their attacks at lower Levels than evolved forms. For example, Psyduck ordinarily evolves at L33. If evolution is delayed, he'll learn Hydro Pump at L52. However, if Psyduck evolves at any point prior to L52, he won't learn Hydro Pump until L59 (the Level at which Golduck learns it).

Be aware that delaying evolution comes at a cost: a Pokémon's pre-evolved form almost always has lower statistics than the evolved form. Not only do evolved forms tend to show greater stat gain from Level to Level, but Pokémon receive a one-time "evolution bonus" to their stats. The longer evolution is delayed, the larger this bonus will be. However, it is not the case that Pokémon who put off evolution are stronger in the long run. It's true that if you delay your Psyduck's evolution until L99, it will receive a very large statistic bonus upon evolving. However, this stat boost will be exactly equal to the larger Level-by-Level gains that Golduck would have been making if you had evolved at an earlier Level.

There's one additional consideration for stone-evolved Pokémon, like Pikachu. You should delay evolution until they learn all of the moves you want them to have. Once they evolve, some of them won't learn anything new; others will learn only one move after evolving. For example, the last move a Pikachu learns naturally in the Red and Blue games is Thunder at L43. Once he learns this, it's safe to evolve him; but if you evolve prior to L43, Raichu will never learn Thunder naturally! You'd have to use up a TM to teach him this move.

The exception to stone-evolved Pokémon is the Eevee evolutions. These you want to evolve ASAP if you want to evolve them at all. As an Eevee, it learns a completely different set of attacks than do its evolutions: Vaporeon, Jolteon, and Flareon.

For trade-evolved Pokémon, evolve them ASAP. It gives them a quick stat boost and it has no impact on when they learn their moves.

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 01-09-2004 11:21 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ok, maybe this wasn't clear: this thread was intended to make fun of OTHER PEOPLE, not us.

But, you know, this is ok too.

Just stay away from that "learn hex" stuff in the Gameshark section...

10,000Lb.Snorlax
loves long time.
Member # 13

Member Rated:
posted 01-09-2004 11:25 PM      Profile for 10,000Lb.Snorlax   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Hex" is short for "hexadecimal". Hexadecimal is just a way of writing numbers. The numbers you are familiar with are written in decimal, which means "base ten". Hexadecimal means "base sixteen". Binary means "base two".

If I want to write about twelve things, that quantity can be represented by a 1 followed by a 2, the decimal number "12". The 1 signifies that there is one 10 of the things. The 2 signifies that there are two 1s of the thing. Add them together and you get

1*(10) + 2*(1) = 12.

Let's use the decimal number 452 as another example:

4*(10*10) + 5*(10) + 2*(1) = 452.

Every time you move one position to the left, you could say that the value contained is 10 times as significant as the previous value. When you write down a number, you are actually writing a brief formula that must be evaluated before the number is available. Before this position-based system, only symbolic systems (like Roman numerals) were available.

Hexadecimal is based on the same premise, but the increasing powers are of 16, not 10. Also, the value that is multiplied by that number can range from 0-15 instead of 0-9. For the remainder of this document, I will write "h" following any number that is written in hexadecimal. So the number 452h can be expanded as:

4*(16*16) + 5*(16) + 2*(1).

Evaluate this and you will find that the decimal equivalent of 452h is 1106.

Note that in all those "infinite item" codes, the third and fourth hexadecimal values (the second byte, used as the data byte in Game Boy GameShark codes) are "63". Here's why:

63h = 6*(16) + 3*(1) = 99.

6 times 16 is 96, and then add 3 for 99. It sets the value equal to 99, which is the maximum amount of any item that can be held at one time.

The instructions for use of these codes tell you to keep the GameShark switch on, which causes the specified byte to remain constant. When you use one of these items the game subtracts 1 from 99, gets 98, writes it back and then the GameShark changes it back to 99 again.

What about the letters? The value of hexadecimal digits can range from 0-15 and it is necessary to express these values in one character. Since we only have ten numerals to work with (0-9), the letters A-F have been chosen to represent the values 10-15. The hexadecimal number A5Dh can therefore be expanded as:

Ah*(16*16) + 5h*(16) + Dh*(1) =
10*(16*16) + 5*(16) + 14*(1) = 2654.

Note that the highest value that can be stored in one hexadecimal digit is Fh, or 15. The highest value that can be stored in two hexadecimal digits is FFh, or:

Fh*(16) + Fh*(1) =
15*(16) + 15*(1) = 255.

The Game Boy likes to store values in two digit chunks, which is why 255 is such an important number in Game Boy mathematics.

The Accuracy of attacks, for example, is based on a 00h to FFh scale. So when we say an attack is 99.6% accurate, what we mean is that if a random number chosen between 00h and FFh (0 and 255) is lower than FFh (ie, any number from 00h to FEh), then the attack will hit. The chances of hitting are 255 out of 256, or, roughly, 99.6%.

Dweedle
My hands and feet are mangos
Member # 1209

Member Rated:
posted 01-10-2004 02:33 AM      Profile for Dweedle   Email Dweedle   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
BUT THESE AMPS GO TO ELEVEN!

- - - - -
the only way to get pass this will be to commit suicune

From: second of all, Quagmire's not really a bad guy! | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lark84
My skeleton is made of creamy nougat.
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 01-10-2004 05:52 AM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You have created some very nice
curved lines and an intersting canopy arrangement - although the cockpit is
looking a bit sparse on the inside. I love the landing gear and you have some
nice functional greeblings happenning. The front of the eingines are nice but I
think the rear is a bit too flat and 'engineless'. Actually, I found the entire
rear of the ship to be a bit plain. It's hard to do something with a rear like
that - maybe try out some SNOT.

Coxy
Hulkamania has run wild over me.
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
posted 01-10-2004 08:24 AM      Profile for Coxy   Email Coxy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It has taken more than a century of dreaming for the Channel Tunnel to become a reality. Ironically, the realisation of that dream may prompt the realisation of another in a different dimension. The linking of British and Eurpoean railway systems brings into sharp focus the discrepancies between the two approaches to the question of scale in model railways using 16.5 mm guage.The debate is given particular relevance given the arrival of the Hornby/Jouef Eurostar.

How did it happen that a 12.5 difference discrepancy in scale came about? For the last 60 years the majority opf popular British model railways have been "wrong". They have been built in the scale of 4 mm to the foot known as OO which might require a guage of anything between 18 mm and 18.88 mm depending on your dedication. Look back at 1920s issues of Model Railway News and you will find a fierce debate raging. It is a matter which since then has been held at arm's length. There have been occasional revivals of the debate as those who operate to EM of P4 standards endeavour to improve on the situation.

- - - - -
I love nintendolover, but only in a strictly platonic sense.

MewtwoSama
Asshole
Member # 12

Member Rated:
posted 01-10-2004 02:24 PM      Profile for MewtwoSama   Author's Homepage   Email MewtwoSama   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
DEAR RYAN SEACREST:

YOU DO NOT KNOW ME, NOR WILL YOU EVER. I AM NOT A FAN. I AM NOT YOUR STALKER. I AM SIMPLY A PERSON WHO IS SICK AND TIRED OF SEEING YOUR FACE PLASTERED ON BILLBOARDS EVERY TIME I TURN LEFT ON SANTA MONICA BOULEVARD, CROSS OVER TO WESTWOOD FOR SOME ESCAPE, ONLY TO HAVE YOU TAUNT ME AGAIN ON PICO.

I UNDERSTAND YOU'RE NOW THE "NEXT BIG THING IN HOLLYWOOD," BUT DID YOU EVER STOP TO THINK THAT EVERYONE MIGHT NOT LIKE YOU? SURE, YOU ARE PROBABLY NICE. HECK, YOU'RE EVEN A LITTLE FUNNY ( I ADMIT), BUT DID YOU EVER STOP TO THINK THAT YOU DON'T BELONG IN THE PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOW?

HOW COME STAR 98.7 WASNT ENOUGH? I WAS PERFECTLY CONTECT WITH YOU BEING THE MAN IN MY RADIO. RYAN SEACREST, 4-7PM, FOR THE RIDE HOME. THAT WAS BRILLIANT. YOU WERE ACTUALLY GOOD BACK THEN. I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT YOU LOOKED LIKE. YOU WEREN'T OVER EXPOSED LIKE CERTAIN YOUNG THINGS AND THEIR LACK OF CLOTHING. I HARDLY KNEW YOU THEN!

BUT THEN YOU GO AND LAND A SHOW CALLED AMERICAN IDOL. WHICH WAS FINE AND DANDY CAUSE WE GOT KELLY OUT OF THE DEAL, EXCEPT YOU GREW TOO BIG FOR YOUR BRITCHES WHILE HOSTING IT. OR SHOULD I SAY "CO-HOSTING" IT. REMEMBER THAT LITTLE THORN? YOU HAD A CO-HOST THE FIRST TIME AROUND. WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO HIM??? DO YOU EVEN REMEMBER HIS NAME?? I'LL HELP FILL THE GAPS. HIS NAME WAS BRIAN DUNKLEMAN. WHILE HE WAS CERTAINLY NOT AS "CHARMING," "HANDSOME," OR MARKETABLE AS YOU OBVIOUSLY WERE, HE WAS STILL A SOMEONE. WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO HIM?? DID YOU HAVE HIM FIRED? IS HE NOW LIVING IN SOME ONE BEDROOM RAMSHACKLE APARTMENT, UNABLE TO GET ANOTHER JOB IN THIS UNFORGIVING TOWN BECAUSE HE WILL FOREVER BE KNOWN AS THE "NOT RYAN!! THE OTHER GUY" OR "WHAT'S HIS FACE ON AMERICAN IDOL"?

AFTER THE SHOW, THERE WAS STILL THE ISSUE OF THE BURNING **QUESTION.** ARE YOU GAY OR NOT? FOR ME, THERE REALLY IS NO QUESTION. YOU COULD HIDE BEHIND THE ANONYMITY OF A RADIO MICROPHONE, BUT ONCE YOU'RE OUT IN PUBLIC, IN ALL YOUR BLONDE FLAMBOYANT GLORY, THERE'S NO POINT IN DENYING IT. CLAIMING TO US WEEKLY THAT YOU JUST RECENTLY GOT OUT A RELATIONSHIP WILL NOT HELP SQUELCH THE SWIRLING RUMORS. TALKING TO MAXIM ABOUT YOUR IDEAL GIRL DOESN'T WORK EITHER BECAUSE YOU'RE DESCRIBING YOUR MOTHER/SISTER/BROTHER'S WIFE. IT DOESN'T WORK AND IT WILL NEVER WORK. YOU'RE NOT EVEN FROM KENTUCKY, SO THIS ISN'T IN THE SLIGHTEST BIT FUNNY. JUST GET OVER YOURSELF AND ADMIT IT ALL READY.

SO THEN THERE'S THE HAIR. YOU HAVE NICE HAIR, IF YOU WOULD JUST LEAVE IT THE FUCK ALONE. HAVING A CALIFORNIA STATE OF RESIDENCY DOES NOT REQUIRE EACH AND EVERY LAST PERSON TO BECOME BLONDE. YOU GIVE REAL BLONDES A BAD RAP. HOW COULD ONE PERSON MAKE BLONDE HAIR LOOK SO BAD? (EVEN BRITNEY DOES IT BETTER THEN YOU AND THAT'S ALREADY SCRAPING THE BARREL.) APPARENTLY, THOUGH, YOUR HAIRDRESSER THOUGHT BETTER OF YOU AND MADE YOU BRUNNETTE THIS LAST TIME AROUND. NEWSFLASH: IT STILL DOESN'T WORK. WANT TO KNOW WHY?? YOU KEEP FUCKING IT UP WITH YOUR STYLING METHODS AS WELL. ARE YOU 18? DO YOU LISTEN TO SKA AND LIVE IN OC?? I DIDN'T THINK SO! ENOUGH WITH THE SPIKES ALREADY. AND EVERY LAST BRAD, DAVID AND ASHTON HAVE ALREADY BEEN SPORTING THE MUSSED-UP/ROLLED OUT OF BED LOOK AND THEY HAVE YOU BEAT. WHEN YOU DO THE LOOK, EVEN AN UNTRAINED EYE CAN TELL THAT YOU'RE SPORTING 36 DIFFERENT KINDS OF PRODUCTS IN IT AND THAT YOU'VE SPENT THE LAST 2 HOURS BLOWDRYING, CURLING ENDS, FLATTENING PIECES AND RUNNING YOUR FINGERS THROUGH YOUR HAIR. AND GUESS WHAT? IT STILL LOOKS LIKE CRAP.

NOW TO THE REAL PIECE OF WORK. YOU'VE BECOME TOO GOOD FOR RADIO AND YOUR LITTLE "SHOW." SINCE YOU'RE SO BIG AND HOT RIGHT NOW, FOX HAS GIVEN YOU YOUR VERY OWN *****SHOW*****. AS IN TALK SHOW. AS IN YOU'RE GOING TO FAIL MISERABLY. AS IN I'D RATHER WATCH THE GABRIELLE CARTERIS (AKA ANDREA FROM 90210) SHOW EXCEPT SHE'S ALREADY BEEN CANCELLED. WHICH YOU WILL BE TOO. LET'S BE SERIOUS HERE. YOUR SHOW IS GOING TO BE TAPED IN A MALL. WHO IS YOUR PUBLICIST?? DO YOU EVEN HAVE A MANAGER?? REMEMBER TIFFANY? SHE THOUGHT SHE WAS ALONE NOW, WHILE SINGING AT A MALL IN DENVER, ONLY TO FIND THAT HER HIT DEBUT ALBULM WAS ALSO HER FINAL SWAN SONG. DO YOU KNOW WHERE SHE IS NOW?? I SAW HER THE OTHER DAY ON VH1. I DON'T EVEN HAVE TO EXPLAIN THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THAT ONE.

WELL, MY "FRIEND," I WISH YOU LUCK BECAUSE YOU'LL OBVIOUSLY NEED IT. YOU'VE COME FAR IN THE LAST YEAR AND A HALF, BUT THE BALL HAS TO DROP AT SOME POINT. MAYBE YOUR SHOW WILL BE SUCCESSFUL. MAYBE YOU WILL COME OUT OF THE CLOSET (THERE REALLY ISN'T A POINT. WE ALL KNOW THE TRUTH.) MAYBE YOU'LL EVEN BE OFFERRED A ****MOVIE**** DEAL OUT OF THIS. JUST REMEMBER FROM JUSTIN TO KELLY WHEN THINKING ABOUT THAT ONE, PAL, (NO OFFENSE KELLY!) CAUSE AT SOME POINT IT'S ALL GONNA DROP. YOUR FANS WILL LEAVE, YOUR VOICE WILL CRACK, AND YOUR HAIR WILL JUST NOT COOPERATE ONE DAY, FORCING YOU TO SHAVE IT AND YOU WILL BE STUCK WITH A NEW LOOK, THUS CREATING A NEW PENIS PERSONA. YOU'LL BE FIRED FROM WHATEVER JOB YOU'VE SCHLEPPED YOUR WAY INTO. YOUR PUBLICIST AND MANAGER WILL BOTH DUMP YOU. THE IRS WILL SEIZE ALL YOUR BELONGINGS BECAUSE GUESS WHAT, YOUR ACCOUNTANT HATED YOU TOO AND NEVER PAID ANY OF YOUR TAXES SINCE YOU HIT IT BIG. FOX WILL REALIZE THAT THEY DON'T EVEN LIKE YOU BECAUSE YOU'RE NO LONGER MAKING MONEY FOR THEM AND SHOULD HAVE STUCK WITH BRIAN IN THE FIRST PLACE. A PHONE CALL WILL BE PLACED...AND JUST LIKE THAT...BRIAN WILL BE HOSTING THE NEXT EDITION OF AMERICAN IDOL. HE WON'T BE LAUGHING THAT HORRIBLE STACCATTO LAUGH. HE WON'T BE WEARING THE LEATHER PANTS AND TRYING TO PERCH COMFORTABLY ON THE STOOL WHILE TRYING TO GROPE THE FEMALE CONTESTANT NEXT TO HIM IN AN ATTEMPT TO REMAIN HETERO-COOL. HE'LL JUST BE BRIAN. AND WE'LL LOVE HIM FOR IT.

AND YOU WANT TO KNOW WHY?

BECAUSE IT WON'T BE YOU.

SINCERELY,
NOT YOUR BIGGEST FAN

- - - - -
Hade ni ikuze!

Jman
Farting Nudist
Member # 618

Member Rated:
posted 01-10-2004 02:51 PM      Profile for Jman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lark84
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 01-08-2005 05:10 AM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Found this gem today:

It's quite a bit like Microsoft in one way.

The uselib() system call is quite old. It was introduced in Linux 0.12 as a quick way to support dynamically loaded, statically linked libraries.

The way shared libraries worked was like this:

libc was compiled and linked like a normal program would be, except that its start address was set to (say) 0x400b0000. printf() would be at (say) 0x400cb110.

Main programs were linked down at 0x08048000 or so, and knew where in memory printf was. The kernel knew how to load your main program and jump to its start. However, there was nothing but a segfault waiting for you at 0x400cb110 initially. So how did the kernel know what shared libraries to load?

Well, one possibility was to put a list of library paths into the executable and teach the kernel to load 'em. Ugh. Didn't SCO do that?

Instead, the linker would add a little assembly language stub to start your main program. It looked a little like:

uselib("/lib/libc.2.so")
uselib("/lib/libm.2.so")

and the uselib syscall would graft the contents of those files directly into memory, in the same fashion the kernel knew how to load the main program. Voila, calling printf at 0x400cb110 will now work.

Eventually, this switched to a single uselib("/lib/ld.so") so we could have search paths and dynamic linking. But it was a pretty good start.

After we all switched to ELF, uselib wasn't such a good idea, as ELF allows some more clever things than just direct-mapping the whole executable at a fixed address. /lib/ld-linux.so switched to using mmap(). If you haven't run an a.out or libc5 executable, it is extremely unlikely your machine has ever invoked this syscall.

As part of the a.out->ELF transition, the uselib() syscall was preserved. It allowed old-style fixed location libraries to be dressed up in new ELF clothing. A few years ago I tried uselib() on MIPS, and had a miserable time trying to get GNU ld to make a library the kernel didn't reject. I gave up.

So how is this bug like Microsoft? The bug is in a mechanism that is a holdover from an older, simpler time. Nobody saw a good reason to take it out. And it didn't get much security scrutiny until somebody said, "hey, what's THAT still doing in my OS? I bet it's got bugs!"

Of course, it's only funny if you don't know wtf he's talking about, which I guess rules out 99% of the people here.

sunburnt_aphid
most boring gimmick ever
Member # 3546

Member Rated:
posted 01-08-2005 06:24 AM      Profile for sunburnt_aphid     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dear Bill Gates,

You are so dreamy. If I could lose my virginity to anyone, it would be you. Let me make your wildest fantasies come true. We can do it on the desk while installing Windows 2000 Professional. You be my server and I'll be your client.

Love, sunburnt_aphid [Wink]

- - - - -
I like Jessie from Team Rocket <3

Cesar
Farting Nudist
Member # 529

Member Rated:
posted 01-08-2005 09:56 AM      Profile for Cesar   Email Cesar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought DOS was your thing.
From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
sunburnt_aphid
most boring gimmick ever
Member # 3546

Member Rated:
posted 01-08-2005 02:17 PM      Profile for sunburnt_aphid     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cesar:
I thought DOS was your thing.

Signature fixed.. I have moved on. [Cool]

- - - - -
I like Jessie from Team Rocket <3

Lark84
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 01-09-2005 05:18 AM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
sunburnt_aphid: You be my server and I'll be your client.

This line deserves more love. Best geek related sex phrase I've seen in a long time.

Fenix
I live in a public bathroom.
Member # 2371

Member Rated:
posted 01-09-2005 02:13 PM      Profile for Fenix   Author's Homepage   Email Fenix   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When I first wrote the termination logic, the release code looked like this:

code:
ULONG VBSClassInstance::Release(){
--this->m_cRef;
if (this->m_cRef == 0)
{
this->RunTerminator();
delete this;
return 0;
}
return this->m_cRef;
}

Looks like a perfectly straightforward implementation, right? But what if some bozo does this?

code:
Dim Global
Class Foo
Private Sub Class_Terminate()
Set Global = Me
End Sub
End Class
Sub Blah
Dim Local
Set Local = New Foo
End Sub
Blah
Set Global = Nothing

When Local goes out of scope, the terminator runs and sets the Global variable to the object which has just been terminated! Therefore it must live. We must write the VBSClassInstance::RunTerminator method to ensure that the terminator doesn't run twice, but that's the least of our problems. Look at the implementation of Release above carefully. When the terminator runs, the ref count will go back up to one, but we still delete the object! The script engine now has a global variable containing a pointer to deleted memory; this will crash the process, corrupt the heap, who knows what?

OK, so what if we go

code:
--this->m_cRef;
if (this->m_cRef == 0)
{
this->RunTerminator();
}
if (this->m_cRef == 0)
{
delete this;
return 0;
}
return this->m_cRef;
}

Is that better? Well, sure, it's better, but it's still wrong. Forget globals; consider this:

code:
  Private Sub Class_Terminate()
Dim TermLocal
Set TermLocal = Me
End Sub

Now what happens? The "final" release when Local goes out of scope sets the ref count to zero and calls the terminator. The terminator increases the ref count to one by assigning it. Then when TermLocal goes out of scope, it calls Release on the object. We've now got a re-entrant Release method! The "inner" Release detects that the ref count has gone to zero and deletes the object. Then the "outer" Release reads from the now-invalid "this" pointer. Assuming that doesn't crash, it then probably corrupts the heap by releasing the object a second time.

The correct logic looks something like this:

code:
--this->m_cRef;
if (this->m_cRef == 0)
{
++this->m_cRef;
// protects against re-entrant final release
this->RunTerminator();
--this->m_cRef;
if (this->m_cRef == 0)
{
delete this;
return 0;
}
}
return this->m_cRef;
}

Writing correct shutdown logic is surprisingly tricky!

- - - - -
life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery

From: The Homeworld, Aiur | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lark84
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 01-06-2007 04:51 PM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When I surfed Wikipedia for Soul Calibur character info I stumbled upon something which made me remember this thread...

In Soul Calibur III, many of her strengths have been toned down, such as 3A being slower and decreased evasive properties of 25_85B as well as a decreased hitbox and speed, AAB not being a guaranteed combo or even safe; however, she gained the practically legendary 66A+B~g, or 'the cancel', which is considered by many to be one of the cheapest moves in the game. It is a tech crouching evade that takes Xianghua to the upper right of an enemy without putting her at a much of a disadvantage, while evading many moves including horizontal highs. So it is not only a superb dodge, but also a tool to close distance safely against longer ranged characters. In SC3, she is usually considered as one of the top 5 characters along with Sophitia and her sister Cassandra, and remains top-tier, although she drops an entire tier in later versions of SC3.

In PAL and arcade versions, the 66A+B~g cancel is gone, and her frame trap 7_8_9K are also being removed. Furthermore, a lot of her moves have been slowed down in the arcade version. However, she still has enough tools to be a mid-upper character, though she's no longer thought to be top tier in those versions.

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.