The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » The Courtyard   » Karp Park   » Worst. Idea. Ever.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Worst. Idea. Ever.
Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 12-05-2003 02:35 AM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
U.S. eyes return to the Moon

Basically, Bush doesn't want to get one-upped by the Chinese so he thinks spending billions to get back to a rock we've already seen is a good idea amirite?

Give me a break.

Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 12-05-2003 04:19 AM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's his escape route.

(I mean really. I heard Mr. CNN Person saying something about wanting to beat the Chinese to the moon so that they won't claim its resources. The moon, last time I checked, was made of rock. We've got enough rock. Even if the moon really is made of cheese, I think we've got enough cheese too.)

(While I'm here, the same report mentioned something about a manned mission to Mars. Now there's a trip you'd need a GBA for. Last time I checked this [which was a damn while ago so bear with me] going to Mars is a 9-month trip... which means another 9 months back. Do you want to spend a year and a half in an oil drum with two other guys? All they're going to do is stick a flag in it and bring some rocks back.)

(The Chinese better watch it, though. If they knock over the flag they left the last time, Bush will invade. Now there'd be something to watch.)
~Uiru

- - - - -
TIDUDSOFIEIHUGHEXXXC: "maybe he will let you touch his blow up do"

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

From: the floating castle of Newfoundland | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
MewtwoSama
Asshole
Member # 12

Member Rated:
posted 12-05-2003 11:11 AM      Profile for MewtwoSama   Author's Homepage   Email MewtwoSama   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rocks on the moon contain fuels that can be used for fusion reactors.
From: Abyss of Evil | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Dweedle
My hands and feet are mangos
Member # 1209

Member Rated:
posted 12-05-2003 11:51 AM      Profile for Dweedle   Email Dweedle   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MewtwoSama:
Rocks on the moon contain fuels that can be used for fusion reactors.

you can react my fusion any day baby

- - - - -
the only way to get pass this will be to commit suicune

From: second of all, Quagmire's not really a bad guy! | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 12-05-2003 01:25 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Someone told me the Chinks were going to go to the Moon, collect all the stuff we left up there and sell it on e-Bay.

Now that's thinking.

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 12-05-2003 03:39 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Though it goes against my "smaller government" principles, I am full on in favor of going to the moon. I'll take higher taxes for moon men. Do we have to burn humans to get there? Well, as long as they aren't burning me.

I agree, rationally, this is sort of a weak arguement.
But.
It.
Is.
The.
MOOOOON.

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

It is good to go to the moon.
I am so sick of those people who deny that we went there.

Better would be Mars.

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 12-05-2003 10:36 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We need to colonize the moon...
Cloud9x
Estelle Getty
Member # 2805

Member Rated:
posted 12-05-2003 11:32 PM      Profile for Cloud9x   Author's Homepage   Email Cloud9x   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We like the moon? [Big Grin]

- - - - -
[22:51] Y2Jesus: shut up japanese peopre

Kid Vid2
I am a tub of earwax.
Member # 2514

Member Rated:
posted 12-05-2003 11:36 PM      Profile for Kid Vid2   Email Kid Vid2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Worse idea.
From: cardbord box :((((((((((((( | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cesar
Farting Nudist
Member # 529

Member Rated:
posted 12-06-2003 12:40 AM      Profile for Cesar   Email Cesar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Basically, Bush doesn't want to get one-upped by the Chinese so he thinks spending billions to get back to a rock we've already seen is a good idea amirite?
So what's wrong? It's not like the US in deep debt or anything [Wink]
From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 12-06-2003 07:11 AM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kid Vid2:
Worse idea.

I'd scream "WHAT COLOR IS YOUR MONEY?!" except that that's a local gag and nobody here would get it.
~Uiru

- - - - -
TIDUDSOFIEIHUGHEXXXC: "maybe he will let you touch his blow up do"

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

From: the floating castle of Newfoundland | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jman
Farting Nudist
Member # 618

Member Rated:
posted 12-06-2003 10:26 PM      Profile for Jman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We like tha moon!
Becuz its very high!!

MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 12-06-2003 11:01 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://www.rathergood.com/moon_song/
Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 12-07-2003 04:13 AM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cfalcon:

It is good to have food on the table.
Charmeleon42
Date Rapist
Member # 1066

Member Rated:
posted 12-07-2003 05:43 AM      Profile for Charmeleon42   Author's Homepage   Email Charmeleon42   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
An interesting thing to think about is that if they spend 2 billion dollars on this, or anything else, it's not vanishing into thin air. It's paying for materials, labor and utilities.. all of which travel down company after company until it gets into the hands of the people who do the designing, building, mining the ore, overseeing it become steel, this, that...

The money eventually ends up in the hands of the common man.

From: Mountain Dew Land | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr.E
Farting Nudist
Member # 696

Member Rated:
posted 12-07-2003 08:52 AM      Profile for Mr.E     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's what Reagan said, Bush says.

- - - - -
MickHale18: nevermind, I'll pull out for a second
MickHale18: *pulls out finger*

From: Munchkin Land, Oz | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
gruco
I am Ian Garvey's lovechild.
Member # 1645

Member Rated:
posted 12-07-2003 10:44 AM      Profile for gruco        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Charmeleon42:
An interesting thing to think about is that if they spend 2 billion dollars on this, or anything else....The money eventually ends up in the hands of the common man.

"Anything else" being fairly key here.

NASA should be spending their money on R+D, not implimenting a program that we already know we can do, and that serves no practical purpose...

E-
quote:
That's what Reagan said, Bush says.
Actually, I think what Char is describing is more Keneyesian than supply side. It's just a pretty bad program, if that's what you wanna do. Welfare and infastructure are far more effective. It's also a bad idea, because for Christ's sake, the bloody budget is deep enough in the red already.

[ 12-07-2003, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: gruco ]

Psybro
Half Psyduck. Half Slowbro. All cop.
Member # 290

Member Rated:
posted 12-07-2003 11:53 AM      Profile for Psybro   Email Psybro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rolken:
quote:

I don't think you need to worry about that side of things.
From: Sheffield, South Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
ceoalex316
Time for the flaming leprosy party
Member # 338

posted 12-07-2003 01:27 PM      Profile for ceoalex316     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Some people do. What RoLk is getting at is that some people what the government to spend money to help out so that they can have food. Not on a fancy trip to the moon.

[Roll Eyes] Also cfalcon is on crack. [Roll Eyes]

- - - - -
Maximum Penetration Industries.

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 12-07-2003 01:53 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rolken:
quote:

I have food on the table.

Seriously, I understand the point about not spending a lot of money on large government projects. Especially when those projects don't even claim to be able to help the situation of a bunch of people who could be way better off. It could easily be argued that the money would be better spent housing the homeless, feeding the poor, and for our educational system. I personally think the better point could be made that the money would be better NOT spent at all.

But what part about MAN WALKS ON MOON do you not want to see in your lifetime? Pushing people to the moon isn't just a neat idea, it isn't just about science, it's about thumbing your nose to the vast blackness of space that calls you and your life, your society, hell your entire human race "worthless, a subatomic reaction on the cosmic scale in a tiny unimportant corner of one of an innumerable amount of galaxies"- and saying "It matters to us, motherfucker, fuck you!"

It is a statement of arrogance to which it is good to aspire to. We say of the Romans "They built roads, and had an empire. They recorded their feats, the brought civilazation, albeit in an uncivilized fashion, to much of the world.". If we never colonize other planets, if that all turns out to be a pipedream largely forgotten in the future of humanity... in the worst case scenario, the people can look up at the goddamn moon and think "We've fucking STOOD THERE. WAY UP THERE."

Hell, that kind of shit was on the list of things that helped motivate me when I had some crazy shit to do for school. I'd be out at night, look up, and think "What am I bitching about, this shit can't be hard, after all, man went to the goddamn moon! He stood in airless vaccuum and planted a flag and hit a motherfucking golf ball.".

That reason is why I favor crazy ass moon projects and shit, in spite of reasonable and sound arguements to the contrary.

MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 12-07-2003 02:29 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank you cfalcon. Seriously, what you had to say made me feel good too...

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 12-07-2003 03:06 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ironically, the line of thought I disagree with most here is Char42, who probably thinks I'm picking on him by now. Basically, I disagree that the government taking money from the hands of people to redistribute that wealth is a good thing- even if they make the new people work for it.

Here's the thing. When you do work, you are generating wealth. Adam Smith changed what was percieved as the actual wealth of an area from how much gold they have to how much productivity is generated. The government, remember, takes money from people, basically meaning that part of each day you work is spent working for the government. Ideally, this would be something like:

Lesser part of day: you work for common good.
Rest of day: you work for yourself.

This is the concept behind taxation, and it's actually pretty damn good.

The logical problem I have with Char's arguement is that the money was going to *stay* in the private sector before, and now it has to go do stuff. The government stimulating the economy is only really possible in the short term, and usually requires massive debt- aka, generating money from nothing, or at least from outside. To this extent, Char is correct: it will stimulate the economy, and it will get to the common man.

But what I think he's missing is the liberal arguement, which basically says "let's just take the money and give it directly to the people who need it most" (it's not this simplistic, but the point remains). Does it stimulate the economy to bulid housing for the homeless? Does it stimulate the economy to buy food for the hungry? Why wouldn't it, if building space ships does?

Anyway, yes, I can believe that this "Let's go to the moon" thing is wasteful, arrogant, and irrational. But that doesn't make me like it less, for the reasons I described above.

Although, it would also be cool if we did something crazier and possibly harder, like cure cancer. I mean, that's also hardcore, and the liberals would back it in a second. I don't like big government, but I can tolerate it if it's going to do legendary shit, like explore space or step us closer to physical immortality.

gruco
I am Ian Garvey's lovechild.
Member # 1645

Member Rated:
posted 12-08-2003 12:39 AM      Profile for gruco        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://www.theonion.com/3947/top_story.html
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 12-08-2003 01:47 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like the news short this week:

"Perveted Ninja likes being seen"

Jman
Farting Nudist
Member # 618

Member Rated:
posted 12-08-2003 03:47 PM      Profile for Jman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I personally not against going to the moon again because I believe there is a lot of scientific value in doing so.

But I'm against going right now.

We're in the middle of an economic recession and are expensively holding troops in Iraq (after spending so much on the war effort). There are better things to go and spend this money on right now.

Tghost
Farting Nudist
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
posted 12-08-2003 08:54 PM      Profile for Tghost   Author's Homepage   Email Tghost   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
HAY GUYS! LETS GO TO THE MOOOOOON! WE CAN BUILD A ROCKET IN MY GARAGE, AND PAINT IT ORANGE! CANT LAUNCH FROM THERE THOUGH AS IT MIGHT FLATTEN MY DAISYS!
From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Coxy
Hulkamania has run wild over me.
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
posted 12-08-2003 09:02 PM      Profile for Coxy   Email Coxy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can't believe nobody has posted a link to the Citizen's Association to Blow Up the Moon, yet.

quote:
Other things you can do include shaking your fist at the moon each night in a show of defiance, shouting, "Damn you, Moon!" and spreading the word to your neighbors.
http://stu.wccnet.org/~bwells/gdt200/cabum1.html
Heck, I think I probably heard of it from here in the first place...

- - - - -
I love nintendolover, but only in a strictly platonic sense.

moogleman
Farting Nudist
Member # 1017

Member Rated:
posted 12-08-2003 09:02 PM      Profile for moogleman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
omg i totally call navigator
From: Kamloops, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tghost
Farting Nudist
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
posted 12-09-2003 03:40 AM      Profile for Tghost   Author's Homepage   Email Tghost   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moogleman:
omg i totally call navigator

i drew you this map to follow. i hope you liek it.

- - - - -
My brain went on vacation and left my pancreas in charge

From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Turbo X
Farting Nudist
Member # 1808

posted 12-09-2003 08:46 AM      Profile for Turbo X     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
*stifles a few giggles... holding back the full-blown LoL since he is sitting in the middle of PC class*

yea... guess that means I'd be sitting behind some random computer at Mission Control.

By the way, who shall we deem worthy of being "the problem Houston always seems to have"?

- - - - -
I mean, goldfish lamp wallpaper skeleton in my Bavarian Star or what? Flowers mirror computer Smurfs every time Moses flies playing cards in or around Paris.

From: N-town, PA, U.S. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 12-10-2003 01:33 AM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jman:
I personally not against going to the moon again because I believe there is a lot of scientific value in doing so.

examples plz

also never mind, let's go to the Moon. but I still think there's no realistic purpose.

- - - - -
[insert sig here]

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 12-10-2003 04:28 AM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm sure scientists can think of *some* use for the moon.

For instance, we could find out what happens when you drop frogs onto the moon.

Seriously, you know you'd love to see that.

Anyway, since it doesn't appear that a cure for cancer is on the moon, I don't think we'll be able to justify it that way. We've got the huge chunks of data from going the first time: Van Allen belts, no prob; moon dust, not very much; alien mindsuck germs, not present; Gravity as predicted; green cheese excellent with Ritz crackers.

Simply put, if you are going to spend money on science, going *back* to the moon isn't the best way to do that.

But wow, it'd be cool to go the moon.

Psybro
Half Psyduck. Half Slowbro. All cop.
Member # 290

Member Rated:
posted 12-10-2003 11:19 AM      Profile for Psybro   Email Psybro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can't help but feel that if this was anyone other than Bush, it would be lauded as a wonderful journey of discovery.
From: Sheffield, South Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
powercat
Farting Nudist
Member # 1103

Member Rated:
posted 12-10-2003 12:05 PM      Profile for powercat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is there any real value in going to the moon? It is a geologically dead hunk of rock, isn't it? Unless we're going to use it as a launch base for future, further exploration, I fail to see the importance.

- - - - -
http://xbox360s.freepay.com/?r=24531001

MewtwoSama
Asshole
Member # 12

Member Rated:
posted 12-10-2003 12:11 PM      Profile for MewtwoSama   Author's Homepage   Email MewtwoSama   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, I'm sure scientists can think of *some* use for the moon.

Mining for Helium-3 to fuel fusion reactors.

- - - - -
Hade ni ikuze!

Turbo X
Farting Nudist
Member # 1808

posted 02-09-2005 01:34 AM      Profile for Turbo X     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
*Resurrecting topic from the deep DEEP annals of AH*

That one commercial that premiered durring the Super Bowl, the one promoting Volvo and that Branson-whoever dude... isn't he sponsoring an actual space ride somewhere?

- - - - -
I mean, goldfish lamp wallpaper skeleton in my Bavarian Star or what? Flowers mirror computer Smurfs every time Moses flies playing cards in or around Paris.

MewtwoSama
Asshole
Member # 12

Member Rated:
posted 02-09-2005 01:38 AM      Profile for MewtwoSama   Author's Homepage   Email MewtwoSama   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
lol, you almost said anal

- - - - -
Hade ni ikuze!

Turbo X
Farting Nudist
Member # 1808

posted 02-11-2005 11:56 AM      Profile for Turbo X     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I did originally... looked back over it because it just didn't quite look right "deep anals of AH"
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 02-11-2005 09:01 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
DEEP ANAL IS ALWAYS RIGHT
From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jolteon X
I put my finger up Dweedle's butt and then in my mouth
Member # 284

Member Rated:
posted 02-11-2005 10:46 PM      Profile for Jolteon X   Email Jolteon X   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
you're pooping in your butt

- - - - -
w
h
a
t
s
u
p

From: Heck: The hell of minor sins | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
MewtwoSama
Asshole
Member # 12

Member Rated:
posted 02-11-2005 11:12 PM      Profile for MewtwoSama   Author's Homepage   Email MewtwoSama   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
GWB said dootie [That Guy]

- - - - -
Hade ni ikuze!

sunburnt_aphid
most boring gimmick ever
Member # 3546

Member Rated:
posted 02-11-2005 11:49 PM      Profile for sunburnt_aphid     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
as opposed to shallow anal. [PBJ Time!] [PBJ Time!] [PBJ Time!] [PBJ Time!] [PBJ Time!] [PBJ Time!] [PBJ Time!]

[PBJ Time!] loves anal

- - - - -
I like Jessie from Team Rocket <3

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.