The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » The Courtyard   » Karp Park   » mp3 players (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: mp3 players
TeLeFonE
X-treme rotary telephone
Member # 2293

Member Rated:
posted 11-17-2003 06:55 PM      Profile for TeLeFonE   Email TeLeFonE   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm looking for a good mp3 player.. for example, let's say the iPod, or something similar. Must be able to store a shit load of music, that's the main requirement.

Ready set go. [PBJ Time!]

- - - - -
fuck this username is gay

Jman
Farting Nudist
Member # 618

Member Rated:
posted 11-17-2003 06:59 PM      Profile for Jman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ok, buy an iPod.
IceHawk78
NOBODY IMPORTANT
Member # 1699

Member Rated:
posted 11-17-2003 07:04 PM      Profile for IceHawk78   Author's Homepage   Email IceHawk78   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I concur. iPod.
Dweedle
My hands and feet are mangos
Member # 1209

Member Rated:
posted 11-17-2003 07:36 PM      Profile for Dweedle   Email Dweedle   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
iPod

- - - - -
the only way to get pass this will be to commit suicune

From: second of all, Quagmire's not really a bad guy! | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ethan
Farting Nudist
Member # 3408

Member Rated:
posted 11-17-2003 08:48 PM      Profile for Ethan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://iriver.com/product/info.asp?p_name=iFP-599T

rox

rox

ROX

Coxy
Hulkamania has run wild over me.
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
posted 11-17-2003 10:41 PM      Profile for Coxy   Email Coxy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
iPod, foo.

- - - - -
I love nintendolover, but only in a strictly platonic sense.

Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 11-18-2003 03:31 AM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, if you have money pouring out your ears. But if you don't feel like paying an extra $100 for a pretty white shell, get a Nomad.

- - - - -
[insert sig here]

starCaliber
is evil and also MewtwoSama
Member # 268

Member Rated:
posted 11-18-2003 04:51 AM      Profile for starCaliber   Email starCaliber   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
this thread is pretty enraging

nomad jukebox zen xtra is better than iPod in almost every possible way.

http://www.nomadworld.com/products/Jukebox_ZenXtra/

most space for the price, fucking sexy as hell, better sound quality.

spring for the 40gig zen and paypal me the extra $150 it woulda cost you for the same sized iPod.

my latest theory is that people who still buy iPods over Zens are:
1) snooty apple-only bastards that are accustomed to paying horseshit prices for proprietary Mac computers and just went with them for an mp3 player because of brand familiarity
2) shitsticks that simply bleed money and grabbed an iPod because they heard about it on TV and didn't take time to examine alternative options (creative's HD mp3 plateys could definitely use more notoriety)
3) greasy, drooling, smelly, retards (e.g. half of this forum)

From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ikuse
Farting Nudist
Member # 3037

Member Rated:
posted 11-18-2003 05:39 AM      Profile for Ikuse   Author's Homepage   Email Ikuse   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fuck that. Get an MD player.

Edit: I have this particular model. Cost effective.
Takes one AA battery to last about a month.
One disc holds about 40 songs.
One disc is $2.
It never skips, ever.

And all for the relatively low price of $99.

[ 11-18-2003, 05:42 AM: Message edited by: Ikuse ]

Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 11-18-2003 06:02 AM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's great, if you want to put up with next to no variance in your playlist and dozens of little frisbees.

Creative also has the common sense to make their batteries replaceable, which Apple seems to have forgotten. And I can affirm that Nomads' sound quality >>>>>>> anything else (and I have one of the older Jukeboxes).

Coxy
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
posted 11-18-2003 08:06 AM      Profile for Coxy   Email Coxy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by starCaliber:
this thread is pretty enraging

nomad jukebox zen xtra is better than iPod in almost every possible way.

http://www.nomadworld.com/products/Jukebox_ZenXtra/

most space for the price, fucking sexy as hell, better sound quality.

It's a heck of a lot fatter than the iPod with the same size screen without any levels of grey and a shittier interface to use on it.

You've got no games, no clock, no contacts list, no calendars, and no note storage features. The hardware doesn't support cool doohickeys like the smart card picture downloader or voice recorder.

The MP3 player itself doesn't support AAC and has a much weaker equaliser. Better sound quality my ass.

- - - - -

Slade_64
chipmunk pr0n author
Member # 804

Member Rated:
posted 11-18-2003 09:33 AM      Profile for Slade_64   Email Slade_64   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Coxy:
You've got no games, no clock, no contacts list, no calendars, and no note storage features. The hardware doesn't support cool doohickeys like the smart card picture downloader or voice recorder.

Your point with this? It supposed to be a MP3 player. I never complained about buying CD players that didn't have the capabilities that a cell phone has, which has the capabilities of a PDA, which has the capabilities of regular computer functions, etc, etc......

WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO GOD DAMN IT. IS IT GOING TO COME DOWN TO CHOOSING THE TOASTER WITH A TV, OR THE ONE INTERNET REA...

...IT'S A GOD DAMN TOASTER!!!!!ocho!!!!

TOASTER!!!

eh....

Don't talk back

no..

no, shut up..

no no n... TOASTER!!

[Mad]

- - - - -
Bucket.

From: Funky Town Texas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Kid Vid2
I am a tub of earwax.
Member # 2514

Member Rated:
posted 11-18-2003 11:01 AM      Profile for Kid Vid2   Email Kid Vid2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
: "Did someone say they wanted toast?"
From: cardbord box :((((((((((((( | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 11-18-2003 11:38 AM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's a heck of a lot fatter than the iPod with the same size screen without any levels of grey and a shittier interface to use on it.

Oh nos, a quarter of an inch (heck of a lot, eh?). Who needs grayscale on a music player?

With the money you saved on a Nomad, how about you buy yourself a GBA and a cell phone, both of which do the job much better.

The MP3 player itself doesn't support AAC and has a much weaker equaliser. Better sound quality my ass.

Better signal to noise ratio, tard. It supports WMA, and it has environmental effects that the iPod doesn't (which I prefer to a preset equalizer anyhow).

And then there's the fact that my Nomad will still be good in five years when your iPod's battery is dead.

veloS
8=D~~O:
Member # 2636

Member Rated:
posted 11-18-2003 12:33 PM      Profile for veloS     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kid Vid2:
: "Did someone say they wanted toast?"

Red Dwarf > y00.

- - - - -
www.mightyrhapsody.com

Lark84
My skeleton is made of creamy nougat.
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 11-18-2003 01:02 PM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I do not own an MP3-player, but I am really considering getting one.

I have an MD player, and yeah, sure, it's small and relatively cheap, but it lacks one thing in comparison with an MP3 player: The ability to carry all of your music in one device if you own more than 4 CD's (some MD players have long play, but the 4x option sounds really shitty, be warned). Don't buy an MD player unless you really want something small but still relatively cheap.

Slade_64, I do like the idea of the iPod doing all other sorts of nifty stuff besides playing music. The note reader seems useful. I'd use it to store stuff like Magic: The Gathering card lists, ToDo-lists etc, and with some amount of software-hacking you can get it to fetch the daily news headlines etc.

The iPod also stores files like an HD, and with an adapter it can store digital photos - that's great, now I can bring my iPod, digital camera and an adapter with me when I travel somewhere (provided there's a wall outlet nearby) and shoot a shitload of pictures (unless I have 40 GB of MP3, which I don't) without having to bring a computer or laptop (which not everyone owns) to empty the memory card when it's full. Contacts and calendar are also useful features. It seems that the iPod is way more useful if you use a Mac, though, since it uses a lot of Mac software.

starCaliber, I think this is why many people buy an iPod: because it has features which are useful, besides playing music.

So, that's my iPod rant, and I don't even own one.

Another thing I have been seriously considering is the Archos jukebox, which has a small LCD screen to show digital photos and - gasp - video. It also has video out, so you can conect it to any TV to watch movies. The only drawback is that I have read very few reviews of it, so I don't know much about it.

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 11-18-2003 01:27 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
...dozens of little frisbees.

Your critique makes it somehow sound attractive.

Seriously, I think some people like to have physical chunks to associate with things... but I think most have outgrown it.

More space == good.

Since I'm a Linux using punk now, does anyone know if these things do OGGs?

Or, more importantly, does anyone know if any of these things can talk to a Linux box at all?

Rolken brings up batteries- Nomad does the normal, replaceable batteries, right?

Apple, I would guess, has like, a cell phone type of battery? Or what?

I do hear a lot of good reviews about the iPod, and many seem to love that they can just wave a magic wand, download music for a buck a pop, and run with it. Since I won't pay for crippled music, they can't sell that stuff to me anyway.

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Slade_64
chipmunk pr0n author
Member # 804

Member Rated:
posted 11-18-2003 01:40 PM      Profile for Slade_64   Email Slade_64   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lark84:
I do like the idea of the iPod doing all other sorts of nifty stuff besides playing music. The note reader seems useful. I'd use it to store stuff like Magic: The Gathering card lists, ToDo-lists etc, and with some amount of software-hacking you can get it to fetch the daily news headlines etc.

The iPod also stores files like an HD, and with an adapter it can store digital photos - that's great, now I can bring my iPod, digital camera and an adapter with me when I travel somewhere (provided there's a wall outlet nearby) and shoot a shitload of pictures (unless I have 40 GB of MP3, which I don't) without having to bring a computer or laptop (which not everyone owns) to empty the memory card when it's full. Contacts and calendar are also useful features...Another thing I have been seriously considering is the Archos jukebox, which has a small LCD screen to show digital photos and - gasp - video. It also has video out, so you can conect it to any TV to watch movies...

If you want all that get this:

Otherwise, I find it quite retarded using an MP3 player as a mock PDA with large quantities of memory.

- - - - -
Bucket.

Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 11-18-2003 02:42 PM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
cfalcon: Your critique makes it somehow sound attractive.

Heh, yeah it does, if someone were the show-off-my-collection type. I was thinking in terms of juggling them when out jogging.

Since I'm a Linux using punk now, does anyone know if these things do OGGs?

Nope. There're movements to get them on (since the firmware is upgradable on most players now), but who knows if it'll lead to anything.

Rolken brings up batteries- Nomad does the normal, replaceable batteries, right?

They use proprietary rechargable batteries. I think it's chemically the same as the iPod, but the iPod's can't be removed, so when its life drops you're SOL.

I was about to expound on how I would love an Archos, but the PSP does video too, right? If only we could burn our own, I'd take one of 'em hands down. Or maybe they'll make a super PSP with a hard drive... that'd be something to die for.

dAyWaLkEr
Farting Nudist
Member # 3343

Member Rated:
posted 11-18-2003 04:45 PM      Profile for dAyWaLkEr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
2)shitsticks that simply bleed money and grabbed an iPod because they heard about it on TV and didn't take time to examine alternative options (creative's HD mp3 plateys could definitely use more notoriety)

Anybody see the P.I.M.P video from 50cent? In the beginning he was clad in all white clothes, with diamond chains in a plus room, and what was he holding in his hand?

Yes folks, it was an iPod. Which goes to show you that black pimps around the world can't be wrong!

[ 11-18-2003, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: dAyWaLkEr ]

- - - - -
absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence

Ikuse
Farting Nudist
Member # 3037

Member Rated:
posted 11-18-2003 06:05 PM      Profile for Ikuse   Author's Homepage   Email Ikuse   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rolken:
That's great, if you want to put up with next to no variance in your playlist and dozens of little frisbees.

Christ, you're ignorant.

First of all, the discs are encased in plastic, similar to a floppy disc, but smaller.

Second of all, how can you have next to no variance in your playlist considering the following:

a. The discs are writable and rewritable.

EXACTLY THE SAME AS AN MP3 PLAYER. Genius.

b. The discs can be popped out and in at any time.

UNLIKE THE MP3 PLAYER.

What the hell were you thinking? You get more variability. Not less. I honestly can't see how you came to that conclusion.

So, you don't have to worry about scratching, skipping, or any of that regular CD crap. And to sweeten the deal, you don't have to go all the fuck way back to your computer if you want to listen to something different. Unlike the MP3 player.

TeLeFonE
X-treme rotary telephone
Member # 2293

Member Rated:
posted 11-18-2003 08:47 PM      Profile for TeLeFonE   Email TeLeFonE   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ikuse, the kind of mp3 players that myself and the others are refering to have so much memory so there is no going back to the computer to switch songs. You upload once and only again when you add new songs. The discs you still have to switch for different music. That's something I don't want at all. I have an MP3CD player right now which plays normal CDs that are recorded in MP3 format... more space but I still have to switch CDs and I still get annoyed at having to do that.

- - - - -
fuck this username is gay

MewtwoSama
Asshole
Member # 12

Member Rated:
posted 11-18-2003 09:00 PM      Profile for MewtwoSama   Author's Homepage   Email MewtwoSama   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
comedy Nokia N-Gage option
From: Abyss of Evil | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ikuse
Farting Nudist
Member # 3037

Member Rated:
posted 11-18-2003 09:46 PM      Profile for Ikuse   Author's Homepage   Email Ikuse   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Although, the iPod costs what, $400? $100 is a small price to pay for musical portability. iPods are just waaaaaaaaaaaaay over the price line.
Wizzymoto
Farting Nudist
Member # 60

Member Rated:
posted 11-18-2003 11:08 PM      Profile for Wizzymoto   Email Wizzymoto   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Apple in general is way over the priceline. The i-pod is basically their only product that has been successfull outside of that percentage of the population that has cash to burn and likes they style.

Jobs says he can afford to run his 99cent a song website cause he makes like 2 cents a song but like 100 bucks an IPod.

Also MD players are tgay cause Sony now makes all of their headphones like 1 foot long to match up with their vision of people carrying MDs around in their shirt pocket.

From: Irvine, CA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Coxy
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
posted 11-19-2003 12:12 AM      Profile for Coxy   Email Coxy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The iPod battery is replaceable, dudes. Besides, it's a LiIon bettery, good for 1000 complete discharges. They don't just stop working after a few years, you know.

- - - - -

MewtwoSama
Asshole
Member # 12

Member Rated:
posted 11-19-2003 12:19 AM      Profile for MewtwoSama   Author's Homepage   Email MewtwoSama   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wizzymoto:
Also MD players are tgay cause Sony now makes all of their headphones like 1 foot long to match up with their vision of people carrying MDs around in their shirt pocket.

MD player---------remote--headphone

I had no problem with my MD player. The LCD remote was nice to play with.

But I prefer the technology of mp3 players, so I switched.

- - - - -
Hade ni ikuze!

Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 11-19-2003 01:31 AM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ikuse: First of all, the discs are encased in plastic, similar to a floppy disc, but smaller.

OK, you have to carry around dozens of little floppies then.

What the hell were you thinking? You get more variability. Not less. I honestly can't see how you came to that conclusion.

My Nomad playlists pick a random song from libraries ranging from 20 to 600 songs, which overlap to match my mood. Or I could have a bunch of discrete 40 song packets. Variability what?

And to sweeten the deal, you don't have to go all the fuck way back to your computer if you want to listen to something different. Unlike the MP3 player.

It seems you have been horribly secluded from and lied to about the truth of MP3 players. Let us bring you into the light.

Although, the iPod costs what, $400? $100 is a small price to pay for musical portability. iPods are just waaaaaaaaaaaaay over the price line.

Did you completely miss sC's and my posts?

- - - - -
[insert sig here]

starCaliber
Member # 268

Member Rated:
posted 11-19-2003 03:49 AM      Profile for starCaliber   Email starCaliber   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
yah ikuse needs to drink a bottle of stfu.

the entire point of carrying a HDD mp3 player is that it's like half the size of your cd player and you never have to burn another fucking CD again (mp3data or regular; makes no difference). ive got about 13 gig of music on my original zen (ran me like $299 last xmas for the 20 gig model...and now they've got these flashy as fuck NX/Xtra models. im cryin' on the inside), and the only reason i ever burn CD's anymore is to listen in the car. i wish my fucking car stereo had a line-in cable so I could just hook the Zen to it but wutever.

i take it running, i listen to it at night while falling asleep, on road trips, lotsa places. mp3 players are sweet. the only times it goes near the PC are when ive downloaded a buncha new shit, and i've already got the firewire plugged in so I just grab the cable, ram it into the zen like a dick up the ass (trying to put this in terms you can relate to) and badabing badaboom music is there.

no fucking CD burning. i can't believe people are still trolling HD mp3 player threads with shit like "HAY Y DONT U JUST LISTNE 2 CDS ITS CHEPAER!" talk, but sometimes i forget who we're dealing with.

Slade_64
chipmunk pr0n author
Member # 804

Member Rated:
posted 11-19-2003 10:30 AM      Profile for Slade_64   Email Slade_64   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
...i wish my fucking car stereo had a line-in cable so I could just hook the Zen to it but wutever...

Get the kenwood music keg:

I got it for cheap and it is teh .

[ 11-19-2003, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: Slade_64 ]

- - - - -
Bucket.

dAyWaLkEr
Farting Nudist
Member # 3343

Member Rated:
posted 11-19-2003 04:50 PM      Profile for dAyWaLkEr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Christ Slade that thing looks like the size of a telephone book.

How much does it store and what are those two big things attached to it?

And there's a really cool Jordan MP3 player out. I'll find the pic later, but it's supposed to be made for the athletically inclined user.

- - - - -

Slade_64
chipmunk pr0n author
Member # 804

Member Rated:
posted 11-19-2003 05:33 PM      Profile for Slade_64   Email Slade_64   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bottom left: Hard Drive (size depends on model you get; mine 20GB)

Top left: Computer dock for computer connection

Right: Car dock that connects to your reciever. Bad thing is that it has to be a Kenwood reciever that has CD changer capabilities.

Edit: Oh, and the car dock is not much bigger than a regular CD changer. I put mine under the passenger seat.

The hard drive is the size of a PDA, thereabouts...

[ 11-19-2003, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: Slade_64 ]

- - - - -
Bucket.

dAyWaLkEr
Farting Nudist
Member # 3343

Member Rated:
posted 11-20-2003 05:12 PM      Profile for dAyWaLkEr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh snap. How many songs you have on yours Slade?

Shit, that thing'd be perfect for car trips.

- - - - -

IDLon2000
Farting Nudist
Member # 3556

Member Rated:
posted 11-20-2003 07:59 PM      Profile for IDLon2000     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, i use a Nomad MuVO. Its small, but it doesnt hole much. What is nice though is that if i use earbuds i can conceal it when im wearing a hood. The iPod looks nice but if it doesnt support WMA i wont find it worth buying. I like things to be small, including the file sizes.
Slade_64
chipmunk pr0n author
Member # 804

Member Rated:
posted 11-20-2003 09:08 PM      Profile for Slade_64   Email Slade_64   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dAyWaLkEr:
Oh snap. How many songs you have on yours Slade?

Shit, that thing'd be perfect for car trips.

Close to 1,800 songs last time I checked.

- - - - -
Bucket.

starCaliber
Member # 268

Member Rated:
posted 11-21-2003 07:15 AM      Profile for starCaliber   Email starCaliber   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
this thread went from entertaining to worthless.
Coxy
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
posted 11-21-2003 08:29 AM      Profile for Coxy   Email Coxy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That makes no sense whatsoever.

- - - - -

Slade_64
chipmunk pr0n author
Member # 804

Member Rated:
posted 11-21-2003 11:24 AM      Profile for Slade_64   Email Slade_64   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I went from entertaining to worthless.

Fixed.

- - - - -
Bucket.

Lark84
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 11-22-2003 01:13 PM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IDLon2000:
I like things to be small, including the file sizes.

iPod supports the AAC format, which supposedly belongs to the MPEG4 standard = it's not proprietary.

I'd like an Ogg player myself.

Ikuse
Farting Nudist
Member # 3037

Member Rated:
posted 11-22-2003 05:15 PM      Profile for Ikuse   Author's Homepage   Email Ikuse   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ogg isn't all that much better than MP3 as far as compression goes.
IDLon2000
Farting Nudist
Member # 3556

Member Rated:
posted 11-22-2003 07:28 PM      Profile for IDLon2000     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Depends on the type of OGG. OGG Vorbis is the most common one out right now. WMA > AAC at lower bitrates.

[ 11-22-2003, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: IDLon2000 ]

Ikuse
Farting Nudist
Member # 3037

Member Rated:
posted 11-22-2003 07:53 PM      Profile for Ikuse   Author's Homepage   Email Ikuse   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'd like to see a form of ogg that has a decently lower compression:quality loss ratio than MP3.
IceHawk78
NOBODY IMPORTANT
Member # 1699

Member Rated:
posted 11-22-2003 09:09 PM      Profile for IceHawk78   Author's Homepage   Email IceHawk78   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Seeing as how iPod does not support WMA files (or so I am led to believe) does anyone know of a program to mass-convert WMA files to whatever the best quality file type the iPod supports is?
IDLon2000
Farting Nudist
Member # 3556

Member Rated:
posted 11-23-2003 05:48 PM      Profile for IDLon2000     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
dbAmp
Dweedle
Member # 1209

Member Rated:
posted 11-23-2003 08:07 PM      Profile for Dweedle   Email Dweedle   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
can that program do the exact opposite?

i.e., convert AAC files to WMAs?

- - - - -

From: second of all, Quagmire's not really a bad guy! | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
IDLon2000
Farting Nudist
Member # 3556

Member Rated:
posted 11-23-2003 08:11 PM      Profile for IDLon2000     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes. On its own it only handles MP3 and WAV but you can download plugins to allow it to do just about anything.
IceHawk78
NOBODY IMPORTANT
Member # 1699

Member Rated:
posted 11-23-2003 08:31 PM      Profile for IceHawk78   Author's Homepage   Email IceHawk78   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Very nice.

I may later regret this, but you get 5.

Dweedle
Member # 1209

Member Rated:
posted 11-23-2003 08:58 PM      Profile for Dweedle   Email Dweedle   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I concur

- - - - -

Lark84
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 11-24-2003 12:33 PM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ikuse:
Ogg isn't all that much better than MP3 as far as compression goes.

I beg to differ. Granted, I am not a compression expert, but an Ogg of a CD single encoded at the "VBR 0 - best compression" (yeah I know, lotsa meaty info there [Wink] ) has half the file (more or less) size of an MP3 of the same CD single encoded at 128 kbps, and it sounds better IMO.

The bass doesn't "explode" in the Ogg like it does in the MP3, and that's a huge improvement as far as I'm concerned.

MewtwoSama
Asshole
Member # 12

Member Rated:
posted 11-24-2003 12:51 PM      Profile for MewtwoSama   Author's Homepage   Email MewtwoSama   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
lol @ ipod

- - - - -
Hade ni ikuze!

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.