The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » The Courtyard   » Karp Park   » What's wrong with staying up late?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's wrong with staying up late?
ceoalex316
Time for the flaming leprosy party
Member # 338

posted 11-09-2003 02:16 AM      Profile for ceoalex316     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The problem is that someone (my mom) thinks that everyone should go to sleep before 12am. Her reason? That’s what humans do.

Since she presented a strong argument, I decided to ask you guys if you know of anything wrong with staying up late even if you get eight hours of sleep?

Discuss.

[Edit:] 12am damn it.

[ 11-09-2003, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: ceoalex316 ]

- - - - -
Maximum Penetration Industries.

Fenix
I live in a public bathroom.
Member # 2371

Member Rated:
posted 11-09-2003 02:16 AM      Profile for Fenix   Author's Homepage   Email Fenix   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There's nothing wrong with staying up late.

- - - - -
life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery

From: The Homeworld, Aiur | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ikuse
Farting Nudist
Member # 3037

Member Rated:
posted 11-09-2003 04:04 AM      Profile for Ikuse   Author's Homepage   Email Ikuse   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Obviously if you don't go to sleep before midnight, and you're a human, your mother would be wrong.
Mr.E
Farting Nudist
Member # 696

Member Rated:
posted 11-09-2003 06:08 AM      Profile for Mr.E     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Explain why you would want to go to bed before noon, unless you've stayed up very late (early, technically).

- - - - -
MickHale18: nevermind, I'll pull out for a second
MickHale18: *pulls out finger*

From: Munchkin Land, Oz | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 11-09-2003 02:57 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
She raises a good point: humans, for most of their existence, went to bed a little after dark and wake up at or before dawn. All sort of chemicals respond to sunlight, and it is definitely a good thing to not support "vampire hours" if you can help it.

That being said, humans also have lived in radically northern latittudes, even past the arctic circle, where the sun is either up for ridiculous periods of time or down for equally silly times. So it isn't like you are doing the impossible: whole societies basically lived with the diurnal cycle that you are probably talking about.

I would make sure you see the sun each day. I've found that if I don't see the sun at all, I don't feel right. So even if I have no responibilities at all, I like to be in bed by four something at the latest- though I go over on even that sometimes.

My suggestion, if you can stick to it: make a habit of going to bed earlier on *most* nights- but don't feel bad about making an exception if your friends want to do something.

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Psybro
Half Psyduck. Half Slowbro. All cop.
Member # 290

Member Rated:
posted 11-09-2003 04:18 PM      Profile for Psybro   Email Psybro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cfalcon:
I would make sure you see the sun each day. I've found that if I don't see the sun at all, I don't feel right. So even if I have no responibilities at all, I like to be in bed by four something at the latest- though I go over on even that sometimes.

I felt shitty yesterday when I got up an hour before sundown. I wouldn't recommend making a habit of it.
From: Sheffield, South Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Charmeleon42
Date Rapist
Member # 1066

Member Rated:
posted 11-09-2003 05:02 PM      Profile for Charmeleon42   Author's Homepage   Email Charmeleon42   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The time you spend asleep minimizes the time you spend doing something useful. Sleep is wasted time, so keep it short.

8 hours a day? A day is 24 hours, 8 is a third of that.

If you live your life where 1/3 of it is laying around unconscious, borderline comatose, borderline dead, then... I dunno. No hope for you.

Try to keep it to about 5-6 hours. Goto sleep at 2.

EDIT: I simply MUST note that you'll get used to it, and it's unrealistic to prophetize that you'll ever be "too tired" to do something. Mind over matter.

[ 11-09-2003, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: Charmeleon42 ]

From: Mountain Dew Land | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Psybro
Half Psyduck. Half Slowbro. All cop.
Member # 290

Member Rated:
posted 11-09-2003 06:53 PM      Profile for Psybro   Email Psybro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Charmeleon42:
The time you spend asleep minimizes the time you spend doing something useful. Sleep is wasted time, so keep it short.

FUCK that
From: Sheffield, South Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Fluorine
SMELLY BUTT
Member # 2904

Member Rated:
posted 11-09-2003 08:59 PM      Profile for Fluorine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My mom always obliges me to get up at 9 AM.

Argh it pisses me off.

Mr.E
Farting Nudist
Member # 696

Member Rated:
posted 11-09-2003 11:07 PM      Profile for Mr.E     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'd have to agree with Char42 on this point. Hence why I end up going to bed at like 2am and getting up at 7am.

- - - - -

ceoalex316
Member # 338

posted 11-10-2003 12:10 AM      Profile for ceoalex316     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

That being said, humans also have lived in radically northern latittudes, even past the arctic circle, where the sun is either up for ridiculous periods of time or down for equally silly times. So it isn't like you are doing the impossible: whole societies basically lived with the diurnal cycle that you are probably talking about.

You know they get sick because of a shortage of vitamin D.

- - - - -
Maximum Penetration Industries.

Dweedle
My hands and feet are mangos
Member # 1209

Member Rated:
posted 11-10-2003 12:28 AM      Profile for Dweedle   Email Dweedle   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

If you live your life where 1/3 of it is laying around unconscious, borderline comatose, borderline dead, then... I dunno. No hope for you.

EDIT: I simply MUST note that you'll get used to it, and it's unrealistic to prophetize that you'll ever be "too tired" to do something. Mind over matter.

I only get 4-5 hours of sleep on weeknights, and I'm always tired as fuck. Eight hours is a necessity.

- - - - -
the only way to get pass this will be to commit suicune

From: second of all, Quagmire's not really a bad guy! | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
ceoalex316
Member # 338

posted 11-10-2003 02:02 AM      Profile for ceoalex316     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mind over matter.
SDShamshel
Farting Nudist
Member # 791

Member Rated:
posted 11-10-2003 03:20 AM      Profile for SDShamshel   Email SDShamshel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Screw that, sleeping rocks.
MewtwoSama
Asshole
Member # 12

Member Rated:
posted 11-10-2003 03:49 AM      Profile for MewtwoSama   Author's Homepage   Email MewtwoSama   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sleeping 6' 11" 1014 lbs.
Very lazy. Just eats and sleeps. As its rotund bulk builds, it becomes steadily more slothful.

- - - - -
Hade ni ikuze!

From: Abyss of Evil | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 11-10-2003 06:09 AM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Charmeleon42 now has some more health advice for you: Do Not Sleep Much. His last piece of advice was Never Exercise.

What's the next stupid health thing we can get him to say?

Miko
Farting Nudist
Member # 3504

Member Rated:
posted 11-10-2003 07:55 AM      Profile for Miko     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sleep is good.

- - - - -
Goo goo ka choo

Turbo X
Farting Nudist
Member # 1808

posted 11-10-2003 08:11 AM      Profile for Turbo X     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MewtwoSama:
Very lazy. Just eats and sleeps. As its rotund bulk builds, it becomes steadily more slothful.

O great, you had to go and make public Char42's goal in life, didn't you?

- - - - -
I mean, goldfish lamp wallpaper skeleton in my Bavarian Star or what? Flowers mirror computer Smurfs every time Moses flies playing cards in or around Paris.

From: N-town, PA, U.S. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SDShamshel
Farting Nudist
Member # 791

Member Rated:
posted 11-10-2003 10:14 AM      Profile for SDShamshel   Email SDShamshel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Doing it and doing it effectively are two different things.

Hey, you're still wasting 2-4 hours a day, what with sleeping 6 hours! That's 6 more hours that could be used to do better things!

[ 11-10-2003, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: SDShamshel ]

Fluorine
SMELLY BUTT
Member # 2904

Member Rated:
posted 11-10-2003 10:27 AM      Profile for Fluorine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
blah blah blah sleep is wasted time blah blah blah

Every minute you spend sleeping is one less minute I waste reading your posts. That's good enough.

Please stop posting.

Mr.E
Farting Nudist
Member # 696

Member Rated:
posted 11-10-2003 01:06 PM      Profile for Mr.E     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MewtwoSama:

- - - - -

Face
I invented cancer.
Member # 1916

Member Rated:
posted 11-10-2003 02:15 PM      Profile for Face   Author's Homepage   Email Face   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Staying up late r0><0rz your b0><0rz so stfu.

- - - - -
Weezing!

From: Hackensack, nj | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
IceHawk78
NOBODY IMPORTANT
Member # 1699

Member Rated:
posted 11-10-2003 09:57 PM      Profile for IceHawk78   Author's Homepage   Email IceHawk78   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Charmeleon42 now has some more health advice for you: Do Not Sleep Much. His last piece of advice was Never Exercise.

What's the next stupid health thing we can get him to say?

"Char, do you have an opinion on how breathing affects your healthy functionality?"
Charmeleon42
Date Rapist
Member # 1066

Member Rated:
posted 11-11-2003 01:55 AM      Profile for Charmeleon42   Author's Homepage   Email Charmeleon42   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think that if we can get everyone in the world to hold their breath for one minute, all at the same time all over the planet, we can solve global warming.
From: Mountain Dew Land | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
LanderZRPG
Got a whale of a tale to tell ya, lads!
Member # 1615

Member Rated:
posted 11-11-2003 04:47 AM      Profile for LanderZRPG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And all the asthmatics, lung-cancer patients, iron-lung people, and starving african babies will revolt and poke you repeatedly on the shoulder [or thigh, if they're too short].

- - - - -
From what we've learned, it seems like you'd prefer girls dressed in ant costumes or something... -Kazuki (Regarding tl;dr)

Owner of the Power Advantage DBZ RPG
(www.poweradvantage.net)

From: High Prairie, AB, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 11-11-2003 12:32 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just held my breath for 1:30.

I'm out of practice.

Plus, it looks funny.

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 11-12-2003 01:13 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
OK, who wants me to ban cfalcon?
From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Wintermute
My custom title sucks.
Member # 5

Member Rated:
posted 11-12-2003 02:01 PM      Profile for Wintermute   Author's Homepage   Email Wintermute   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Make it a package with velos and maybe eyesock and you can consider that deal CLOSED.
From: Winnipeg, Manitoba | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.