The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » The Courtyard   » Karp Park   » Big Ass Solar flare!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Big Ass Solar flare!
MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 10-28-2003 10:51 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://msnbc.com/news/984388.asp?0cv=TA01

Oct. 28 — The sun on Tuesday unleashed what appears to be the third most powerful flare in recorded history, a storm of charged particles that could hit Earth midday Wednesday with more effect than any since 1989, when power was knocked out to an entire Canadian province.

DEPENDING ON the storm’s magnetic orientation, it could set off a dramatic display of colorful northern lights well into midlatitudes of the United States and Europe.
Meanwhile, satellite operators and power grid managers are preparing to endure a potentially damaging event. And astronauts aboard the international space station have taken cover from heavier radiation sent out by the flare. They are not expected to be in any serious danger.
Kicked up at 6 a.m. ET Tuesday, the major solar eruption comes on the heels of four other flares late last week and over the weekend. All were considered fairly severe, but the latest eruption makes the others seem like solar sneezes.

Tuesday’s eruption is classified as an X18, where X denotes a major flare and larger numbers are stronger. That compares to two flare-ups over the weekend that were rated less than X2.
“The flare today may be the third strongest X-flare on record,” said Paal Brekke, the European Space Agency’s deputy project scientist for the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory, which first spotted the event.
A slightly stronger flare on April 2, 2001 was not pointed at Earth. Tuesday’s storm is headed directly at us and could generate fantastic colorful lights in the atmosphere, known as auroras. The storm associated with the flare is called a coronal mass ejection, an expanding bubble of charged particles that race outward.

COMING FAST
The storm is traveling quicker than most and is forecast to arrive about 30 hours after it left the sun, Joe Kunches, lead forecaster at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Space Environment Center, said in a telephone interview. That would put the arrival at about noon ET Wednesday.
Advertisement

“That’s when it starts,” Kunches said. But the storm will blow through over several hours, he said, and won’t be done for up to two days.
“We may be in for some great aurora,” Brekke said.
Auroras are created when the charged solar particles stream down Earth’s magnetic field lines and excite oxygen and nitrogen atoms in the atmosphere. Normally, the auroras are only visible from place near the poles, like Alaska. But when Earth’s magnetic field is overwhelmed, auroras can become visible well into the United States and Europe.
For U.S. residents, Wednesday evening could provide the best chance to see auroras.

POTENTIAL THREAT
The storm is also potentially a serious threat to satellites and other communication systems, including power grids on Earth. Kunches said satellite operators and power grid managers are likely to take stringent measures to protect their assets. Engineers can put some satellites into hibernation modes, and power grid operators arrange for less switching and fewer large-scale power swaps.
Nobody can say in advance what will happen, though, because the result depends on the orientation of Earth’s magnetic field in relation to that of the storm.
“Until we know the orientation of the magnetic field in this [storm] cloud we won’t know how severe the geomagnetic storm will be,” Brekke said. “If the cloud has a southward-directed magnetic field it will be severe, while if it has a northward component it will not affect us that much.”

- - - - -
even my mother thinks i'm an idiot

Barrierd
I have a colony of shrimp living in my bladder
Member # 3132

Member Rated:
posted 10-28-2003 11:38 PM      Profile for Barrierd   Email Barrierd   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Did it say which Canadian province had it's power knocked out? Because there's a big difference between Ontario and PEI in this situation.

- - - - -
Where are my bitches

From: Victoria, B.C., Canada | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Windex
I am the greatest human being ever. It is impossible to insult me.
Member # 9

Member Rated:
posted 10-29-2003 03:19 AM      Profile for Windex   Email Windex   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barrierd:
Did it say which Canadian province had it's power knocked out? Because there's a big difference between Ontario and PEI in this situation.

kee-beck
Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 10-29-2003 01:29 PM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Quebecois, houh houh houh.

I hope it knocks out my university's power in the next 20 minutes so I can get out of my CS lab.
~Uiru

- - - - -
TIDUDSOFIEIHUGHEXXXC: "maybe he will let you touch his blow up do"

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

From: the floating castle of Newfoundland | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
dAyWaLkEr
Farting Nudist
Member # 3343

Member Rated:
posted 10-29-2003 04:43 PM      Profile for dAyWaLkEr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
dammit, and i thought this topic was about goku [Frown]

he'd kick the sun's ass anyday. chop-socky!

- - - - -
absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence

Rysto
Farting Nudist
Member # 24

Member Rated:
posted 10-29-2003 11:38 PM      Profile for Rysto   Email Rysto   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it was Quebec that got hit. It happened to them because a lot of their generating stations are up north, and apparently the storms effects are more potent there.

- - - - -
So "a" can be any value?
-a guy in my Calculus class, on the nature of variables

From: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Kazuki
Farting Nudist
Member # 3519

Member Rated:
posted 10-30-2003 12:03 AM      Profile for Kazuki     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dAyWaLkEr:
dammit, and i thought this topic was about goku [Frown]

he'd kick the sun's ass anyday. chop-socky!

Psh, he stole that move from Tien anyhow...

- - - - -
" When we get outta the 80's and into the 90's, we'll make the 60's look like the 50's. "

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 10-30-2003 12:20 AM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Smallville had Superman getting all fucked up because of sunspots, which I thought was accidentally timed extremely well.
From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Kazuki
Farting Nudist
Member # 3519

Member Rated:
posted 10-30-2003 12:54 AM      Profile for Kazuki     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cfalcon:
Smallville had Superman getting all fucked up because of sunspots, which I thought was accidentally timed extremely well.

That's because the yellow rays of the sun give Superman his powers. Without them, he's pretty much a normal human.

- - - - -
" When we get outta the 80's and into the 90's, we'll make the 60's look like the 50's. "

Whiner
Member # 1465

Member Rated:
posted 10-30-2003 01:13 AM      Profile for 137   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Does that mean he'd be stronger if you shone a blacklight on him?
Edit: Cause Krypton's sun was red. That's what the difference is supposed to be.

[ 10-30-2003, 01:14 AM: Message edited by: 137 ]

From: Space. Like, outer space. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
LanderZRPG
Got a whale of a tale to tell ya, lads!
Member # 1615

Member Rated:
posted 10-30-2003 01:19 AM      Profile for LanderZRPG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'd think that indiglo or something would be better.

Since on his home planet, weren't they all normal?

So, if you stray further from Red, it'd be best, no?

...What colour is "black light"? Indiglo?

- - - - -
From what we've learned, it seems like you'd prefer girls dressed in ant costumes or something... -Kazuki (Regarding tl;dr)

Owner of the Power Advantage DBZ RPG
(www.poweradvantage.net)

From: High Prairie, AB, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Whiner
Member # 1465

Member Rated:
posted 10-30-2003 01:57 AM      Profile for 137   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh. Blacklight is the common term for UV (ultraviolet light). And I think the word you're looking for is indigo, dropping the L. Indiglo is a particular watch company's trademark for the lights they put on the faces, which is odd because it's greenish and not indigo at all.
veloS
8=D~~O:
Member # 2636

Member Rated:
posted 10-30-2003 08:33 AM      Profile for veloS     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kazuki:
quote:

That's because the yellow rays of the sun give Superman his powers. Without them, he's pretty much a normal human.
Bitch, that's Birdman you're talking about. "Let's go, Avenger!"

- - - - -
www.mightyrhapsody.com

Kazuki
Farting Nudist
Member # 3519

Member Rated:
posted 10-30-2003 10:23 AM      Profile for Kazuki     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by veloS:
quote:
Originally posted by Kazuki:
quote:

Bitch, that's Birdman you're talking about. "Let's go, Avenger!"
'Fraid not. The red sun on Krypton made everyone seem normal, but it merely surpressed their superpowers, and once on earth, exposure to the yellow sun gave Superman his abilities.

Actually, I can't be sure if the sun on Krypton had been yellow, if the inhabitants would've had superpowers, but I do know that the yellow sun of earth endows them with great strength, and laser eyes apparently.

Birdman does use the sun to rejuvinate himself, but to my knowledge it's any form of sunlight.

- - - - -

Slade_64
chipmunk pr0n author
Member # 804

Member Rated:
posted 10-30-2003 01:53 PM      Profile for Slade_64   Email Slade_64   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

- - - - -
Bucket.

From: Funky Town Texas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
dAyWaLkEr
Farting Nudist
Member # 3343

Member Rated:
posted 10-30-2003 04:39 PM      Profile for dAyWaLkEr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Since we're on the topic of Superman, lemme ask my question: can Superman's clothes' rip? I mean, sometimes he gets in a fight and gets an arm ripped off. But millions of bullets seems to deflect offa him.

I think that shitty tv show long back explained that as long as anything is actually touching him it can't be destroyed.

Also, wasn't the Solar Flare like Krillin's special move?

- - - - -

NintendoLover
I'm much dumber in actuality than I pretend to be.
Member # 3138

Member Rated:
posted 10-30-2003 04:52 PM      Profile for NintendoLover     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
if everyone on the planet had heat vision and super strength, would they really be super powers?

- - - - -
I love Nintendo!

Dark_Herakurosu
Farting Nudist
Member # 1677

Member Rated:
posted 10-30-2003 05:52 PM      Profile for Dark_Herakurosu   Author's Homepage   Email Dark_Herakurosu   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lobo > all.

Tis truth.

Kazuki
Farting Nudist
Member # 3519

Member Rated:
posted 10-30-2003 05:56 PM      Profile for Kazuki     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
1. I don't know about the clothes ripping. It seems like they should rip, and if he were batman I'd chalk it up to the butler making indestructible shit like clothes and cars, but I don't know how they explain Superman. Also, I think Solar Flare was Krillin's. My bad.

2. If everyone had superpowers, they'd be superpowers for awhile, and then everyone would consider it the norm.

3. Yes, Lobo is better then everyone.

- - - - -

Whiner
Member # 1465

Member Rated:
posted 11-01-2003 02:31 AM      Profile for 137   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know that in the comic books Superman's Earth mom made his costume out of fabric that was in the shuttle. It's super-space age Kryptonian cloth, so it doesn't rip. I don't know how she got the needle through, though. Maybe she needed Clark's help for that.

In that series "Lois and Clark" he said that his aura of indestructibility actually extended a few millimeters out from his physical body, thus protecting a skin-tight costume. I dunno if his cape ever ripped. Or how other incarnations of Superman dealt with this.

Kazuki
Farting Nudist
Member # 3519

Member Rated:
posted 11-01-2003 03:06 AM      Profile for Kazuki     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 137:
I know that in the comic books Superman's Earth mom made his costume out of fabric that was in the shuttle. It's super-space age Kryptonian cloth, so it doesn't rip. I don't know how she got the needle through, though. Maybe she needed Clark's help for that.

In that series "Lois and Clark" he said that his aura of indestructibility actually extended a few millimeters out from his physical body, thus protecting a skin-tight costume. I dunno if his cape ever ripped. Or how other incarnations of Superman dealt with this.

In the animated series his suit ripped all the time. he must have a closet full of 'em.

- - - - -

Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 11-01-2003 05:25 AM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 137:

I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that he's not real.

- - - - -
[insert sig here]

Whiner
Member # 1465

Member Rated:
posted 11-01-2003 05:34 AM      Profile for 137   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
yeah, prolly
MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 11-01-2003 02:19 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Remember though, Superman's (Earth) Mother made his cape out of the material he was wrapped in when he was a baby. It can't be burned (and something else I think, maybe damaged/torn)
Ikuse
Farting Nudist
Member # 3037

Member Rated:
posted 11-02-2003 12:18 PM      Profile for Ikuse   Author's Homepage   Email Ikuse   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wanna know how doomsday killed superman
SDShamshel
Farting Nudist
Member # 791

Member Rated:
posted 11-02-2003 12:23 PM      Profile for SDShamshel   Email SDShamshel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Doomsday was able to exhaust Superman to the point that is "aura of invulnerability" weakened and Doomsday could do actual damage.
Ikuse
Farting Nudist
Member # 3037

Member Rated:
posted 11-04-2003 05:33 AM      Profile for Ikuse   Author's Homepage   Email Ikuse   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
that's pretty crazy
White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 11-04-2003 12:23 PM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I finally saw that Smallville episode last night.

Who's Perry White? Is he Clark's future boss at the Daily Planet?

It's raining tractors!

- - - - -
"Anybody gone into Whole Foods lately and see what they charge for arugula?"
-- Barack Obama, campaigning in Iowa

Bugcatcher Ed
Farting Nudist
Member # 3289

Member Rated:
posted 11-04-2003 12:44 PM      Profile for Bugcatcher Ed     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They've changed Superman's origin. Originally his clothes, hair, etc. were invulnerable, which made his cape the best armor available on Earth. Nowadays, he projects a force field around himself. The closer something is to his skin the harder it is to injure. His mom made his costumes out of perfectly normal fabric. She made most of his costume skin-tight so that it wouldn't get blasted off him. She added the cape because she liked the way it looked. The cape gets shredded all the time. The "S" symbol was the El family crest, and was on his spaceship.
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 11-04-2003 01:22 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, they like to rewrite the Superman myth pretty regularly, keep it fresh.

That he used to have an invincible cape is news to me.

Didn't know that about the "S". "S"mells like a retcon, though.

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
veloS
8=D~~O:
Member # 2636

Member Rated:
posted 11-04-2003 02:22 PM      Profile for veloS     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, they like to rewrite the Superman myth pretty regularly, keep it fresh.

Like the Mario series.

quote:
Didn't know that about the "S". "S"mells like a retcon, though.

Hey, watch it.

- - - - -
www.mightyrhapsody.com

dAyWaLkEr
Farting Nudist
Member # 3343

Member Rated:
posted 11-05-2003 04:58 PM      Profile for dAyWaLkEr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Indeed, Perry White is the editor of the Daily Planet. Though, he never met Clark before the boy went to Metropolis

- - - - -

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 11-06-2003 12:52 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've always heard that the S was a Kryptonic coincidence. It used to look a lot more like an S, though, so it's probably something they made up before we were born, but after Superman was already old skool.
From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.