The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » The Courtyard   » Karp Park   » Did the Enterprise have children on it?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Did the Enterprise have children on it?
New Guy
Farting Nudist
Member # 692

Member Rated:
posted 10-21-2003 07:08 PM      Profile for New Guy   Email New Guy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I seem to remember a few eps of TNG that had classroom scenes with really young children. Thing is, the enterprise was always doing really dangerous stuff. I'm sure some kids must have died sometimes, if they were on there. Why would a parent want their kid on a star ship that encountered wierd and dangerous stuff every week?

- - - - -
@!!**... I forgot my chain saw!-Satan

Miko
Farting Nudist
Member # 3504

Member Rated:
posted 10-21-2003 09:10 PM      Profile for Miko     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They wouldn't, but you try being on a ship 24/7 and not get it on with someone without forgetting protection.

- - - - -
Goo goo ka choo

IceHawk78
NOBODY IMPORTANT
Member # 1699

Member Rated:
posted 10-21-2003 09:56 PM      Profile for IceHawk78   Author's Homepage   Email IceHawk78   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
AHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Wait, damn.

Rysto
Farting Nudist
Member # 24

Member Rated:
posted 10-21-2003 10:29 PM      Profile for Rysto   Email Rysto   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Because the Enterprise went on such long missions(7 years?), the crew was allowed to bring family members with them. Although, isn't it odd that none of the important members of the crew had any family at all(other than Dr. Crusher's son Wesley)?

- - - - -
So "a" can be any value?
-a guy in my Calculus class, on the nature of variables

From: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Kazuki
Farting Nudist
Member # 3519

Member Rated:
posted 10-21-2003 10:59 PM      Profile for Kazuki     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I seem to remember Picard having a family on earth.

He visited them in the past, in some Star Trek movie, with Shatner in it, and Shatner rode a horse...

- - - - -
" When we get outta the 80's and into the 90's, we'll make the 60's look like the 50's. "

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 10-22-2003 01:42 AM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In reality, no one would put their kids on a ship that keeps getting attacked.

"Hmm... should my six year old be transported by a malicious godlike being to another galaxy? Or should he stay with his friends on earth..."

It was a sign that they expected to be in no real danger on a ship with no military mission.

But, come on.

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Wintermute
My custom title sucks.
Member # 5

Member Rated:
posted 10-22-2003 02:11 AM      Profile for Wintermute   Author's Homepage   Email Wintermute   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why would a parent want their kid on a star ship that encountered wierd and dangerous stuff every week?

100% dental coverage.

From: Winnipeg, Manitoba | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Donald
Bob the Builder
Member # 1551

Member Rated:
posted 10-22-2003 08:27 AM      Profile for Donald   Email Donald      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rysto:
Although, isn't it odd that none of the important members of the crew had any family at all(other than Dr. Crusher's son Wesley)?

And Worf's kid, Alexander.
From: In your girl's panties | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rysto
Farting Nudist
Member # 24

Member Rated:
posted 10-22-2003 06:26 PM      Profile for Rysto   Email Rysto   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Right, I forgot about Alexander.

Kazuki, I didn't mean that they have no family at all, but no wives or husbands or kids.

- - - - -
So "a" can be any value?
-a guy in my Calculus class, on the nature of variables

From: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Barrierd
I have a colony of shrimp living in my bladder
Member # 3132

Member Rated:
posted 10-22-2003 08:56 PM      Profile for Barrierd   Email Barrierd   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cfalcon:
In reality, no one would put their kids on a ship that keeps getting attacked.

"Hmm... should my six year old be transported by a malicious godlike being to another galaxy? Or should he stay with his friends on earth..."

It was a sign that they expected to be in no real danger on a ship with no military mission.

But, come on.

How you feel about your children is, in part, culturally based. Although I realise that the Enterprise itself seems to be very Western in culture and socialization, ethics and "right and wrong" may be fundamentally different. If that is the case, people might not feel so bad sending their children into potentially dangerous situations. Actually, parents might be encouraged to bring their kids for both psychological reasons and reasons pertaining to the sustaining of the population of the ship (this is assuming, of course, that some people in the Federation figured there may be tough times ahead for the starship).

Buuuuuut, if they never thought it would be dangerous on the Enterprise, why the hell not bring your family with you? It's a luxury few have who work away from home.

- - - - -
Where are my bitches

From: Victoria, B.C., Canada | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kazuki
Farting Nudist
Member # 3519

Member Rated:
posted 10-22-2003 11:18 PM      Profile for Kazuki     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rysto:
Right, I forgot about Alexander.

Kazuki, I didn't mean that they have no family at all, but no wives or husbands or kids.

Um, he had a wife and kids...

- - - - -
" When we get outta the 80's and into the 90's, we'll make the 60's look like the 50's. "

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 10-23-2003 12:12 AM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Western values? You might say that. The ship's crew consists of a bunch of 1980s-90s era card carrying Democrats, with plots like "Here's a planet with submissive men" and "What is the meaning of gender". Don't forget all the places that achieve utopia but lose their humanity in some cumbersome conservative fashion ("Wesley steps on a plant and gets death by lethal injection- next time, ond DRAGONBALL Z").

Additionally, the Enterprise stopped by Earth about once a season. They stopped by bases, met up with Federation ships, and were in constant communication. It wasn't like they were out there alone with no way back for so long that you would need kids along te replenish the crew. I *did* notice that when the ship was about to explode or something, the kids were never around.

I think the kids were there to show that life on Enterprise was largely *normal*.

But it was a touch of an oversight. The real reason is because they just kind of accepted plots from everyone and ran with the good stories (the same reasons that so many plots were hippie wet dreams- most trekkies are way idealistic), and somebody must have needed kids in one episode, and well, there you go.

White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 10-23-2003 02:44 PM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Much of the point of the "separate the saucer section" gimmick was that most of the crew quarters (and therefore the children) were on the saucer, so it could stay behind where it was safe while the other half went into battle.

Of course, most of the time they didn't bother to do that...

- - - - -
"Anybody gone into Whole Foods lately and see what they charge for arugula?"
-- Barack Obama, campaigning in Iowa

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 10-24-2003 05:47 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That Vulcan chick is so hot I am touching myself right now.
From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
New Guy
Farting Nudist
Member # 692

Member Rated:
posted 10-25-2003 05:04 PM      Profile for New Guy   Email New Guy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ok, so there are some reasones why kids were allowed on board. But what about when a kid died? What would be the federations response? In all the beatings that the saucer section took, surely some kids bit it?

dirty old man-That Vulcan chick is so hot I am touching myself right now.

I don't like her one bit. Emotionless logic and titties at the same time don't do it for me.

- - - - -

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 11-01-2003 06:27 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
New Guy: Emotionless logic and titties at the same time don't do it for me.

What could be better? A hot chick, who never goes on the rag, isn't conceited about her hotness, is way into science and discovery, is super strong, and has a job she really cares about so she won't devote her life to sticking her nose into your business.

Plus she has that ass.

Whiner
Member # 1465

Member Rated:
posted 11-01-2003 06:46 AM      Profile for 137   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I didn't know Vulcans were super-strong.
The only physical superiority I've seen displayed was the nerve-pinch thing, which I assumed was just applied knowledge of physiology.

I'm no trekkie, though.

From: Space. Like, outer space. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 11-01-2003 02:56 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, Spock was always whipping everyone's ass and he was only half-Vulcan. Granted, they seem to have forgotten all about that in the new series.

Also science chicks rule.

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 11-02-2003 03:49 AM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You know, I heard somewhere that the Enterprise is like a whole other city entirely, far away in space.
New Guy
Farting Nudist
Member # 692

Member Rated:
posted 11-02-2003 10:43 AM      Profile for New Guy   Email New Guy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Isn't there some kinda vulcan mating season thingy? Like if they don't fuck they will die or something? Then would be a nice time to be around the vulcan chick.

Otherwise, how often would you get with her? She is a career woman. She would have nothing to do with a relationship. She would be the perfect girlfriend if she would go out with anybody, but I just don't see it happening.

And thank god and jebus they don't go on the rag, cause they have green blood. Imagine seeing that in your bathroom trash can.

- - - - -

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.