The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » The Courtyard   » Karp Park   » What is the meaning of life, or Does life have any meaning?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is the meaning of life, or Does life have any meaning?
New Guy
Farting Nudist
Member # 692

Member Rated:
posted 09-14-2003 03:40 AM      Profile for New Guy   Email New Guy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For some reason, 3 AM puts me into a philosophical mood. So what do you think? Maybe your answers will help me decide for myself. Or at least make some good conversation. At the very least, this kind of topic should not get me banned.

This is NOT about evolution. It is not about the existence of god, though explaining how and why god is/is not a part of your belief is fine. It is not about proving people wrong. You are not arguing your belief here, like you would a political viepoint. However, asking questions to get a better understanding of someones belief is good. "I don't understand this part, wtf do you mean?" is ok. "If you believe x part is true, then why do you believe y part? They seem to counter each other IMO," is ok. "I dunno, I just do," is a valid answer to that last question.

For my aprt, I think any meaning there is to life is decided by the individual. If you think you mission in life is to invent a better shoelace, then it is. If you have no discernable purpose to life, then you don't. We all have free will to a degree. I can chose whether or not to lick a bathroom wall for 20 bucks. I can not decide to like the taste of it. I can decide to give everybody the same benifit of the doubt that I would like to get. I can not decide to find Rosie O'Donnell sexually attractive.

I don't know if there is a god or not, and I don't think I will find out until I die. Maybe not even then. I certainly don't beleive in any of the organized (or unorganized, for that matter) religions. If there is a god, then I think it is defined by having true free will. It can decide to make the bathroom wall taste better, or to make itself like the taste of the bathroom wall as it currently is. It can can make desicions about what it is and how it is. Humans have free will over thier actions, but not thiere beliefs and prejudices. God, if it exist, does.

Ethan
Farting Nudist
Member # 3408

Member Rated:
posted 09-14-2003 04:28 AM      Profile for Ethan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
shut up

i am sick of these serious threads

also philosophy is bullshit

MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 09-14-2003 04:57 AM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've posted this before...

In real life I once asked this guy who I considered to be really smart and had things figured out... Anyway, I asked him somethin like "what do you think the meaning of life is" and all he said was "live, laugh, love"

Kinda makes sense when ya think about it, one of those wise man on top of the mountain answers...

Chloreon
Farting Nudist
Member # 945

Member Rated:
posted 09-14-2003 07:08 AM      Profile for Chloreon   Email Chloreon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with several of the points made in this topic(apart from Ethan's [Embarrassed] ). At times it can seem daunting, and life can seem so insignificant. However, if you acknowledge the human mind, one can look at it from a different perspective. The human mind has an awesome scope for different perspectives on situations. This can make for trouble if somebody's being stupid and stubborn/only looking from the perspective they like best, but it also means that the meaning of life is whatever we make it, as the perspective you take is part of the way you live your life. It can sometimes seem like humans are pointless drones running through insignificant existences, existing only to satisfy a few temporary needs and instincts. In a way this is true, but we're not heavenly bodies floating through space and watching the earth eternally, we're small-time beings with a binocular view on our lives, and that can make all the difference. Even if in the big scheme of things we're pointless drones, we don't have to be mindless ones. We can alter our perspective and our goals regarding our existence, and make a few differences to other people around us. So in a way, in my opinion, the meaning of life is to make the most of it and appreciate life for what it is. [Smile]
From: Birmingham, UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Zerot
I pay schoolgirls to verbally abuse me.
Member # 1295

Member Rated:
posted 09-14-2003 10:25 AM      Profile for Zerot   Author's Homepage   Email Zerot   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, in order for there to be a 'meaning of life,' it would have to fit ALL life. Humans are no different than animals. We are animals.

Which is why this is the meaning of life to me

1. Be Born.
2. Ensure The Survival Of Your Species (Make Babies)
3. Die.

From: Lizton, Indiana | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
ceoalex316
Time for the flaming leprosy party
Member # 338

posted 09-14-2003 11:39 AM      Profile for ceoalex316     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why should I ensured the survival of my species? I’m not going to have kids, so my life is meaningless?

Anyway, try to look at it like this, when you go watch a movie do you think to yourself that its just a meaningless waste of photons? Or do you get sucked into the world it creates for you? Think of life that way.

- - - - -
Maximum Penetration Industries.

TeLeFonE
X-treme rotary telephone
Member # 2293

Member Rated:
posted 09-14-2003 11:48 AM      Profile for TeLeFonE   Email TeLeFonE   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Heh. MK posted something I agree with. What is the world coming to?

- - - - -
fuck this username is gay

Chloreon
Farting Nudist
Member # 945

Member Rated:
posted 09-14-2003 01:25 PM      Profile for Chloreon   Email Chloreon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zerot:
Well, in order for there to be a 'meaning of life,' it would have to fit ALL life. Humans are no different than animals. We are animals.

Which is why this is the meaning of life to me

1. Be Born.
3. Die.

Humans are animals, I completely agree; however, humans are very different from other animals in a lot of ways. More importantly, they lead vastly different lives. [Many] humans find it necessary to look for more than passing on their genes in their lives, and suffer emotional instability if they can't have/achieve these different things, so how can reproduction be the meaning of [human] life in these cases?

Obviously if we're talking about life as a whole then the point of view could be different, but in my opinion if we're going that deeply into it there's much more to scale in the way of thought about it, for example the ideas of how life came into creation in the first place. If you have a purely practical, scientific view on things and how they came to be, then doesn't that kind of rule out the possibility of meaning - at least up until the point where humans started to think and love, thus ruling out the be born/mate/die theory and making "the meaning of life" a purely human philosophy anyway?

(if any of that made sense @_@)

[ 09-14-2003, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: Chloreon ]

From: Birmingham, UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
undone-backwards
Farting Nudist
Member # 197

Member Rated:
posted 09-14-2003 01:25 PM      Profile for undone-backwards   Email undone-backwards   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
But what's the point in ensuring the survival of your species considering the species will not survive for an eternity anyway?
From: under your bed... | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
EspeonNidoking
warcraft 3
Member # 2028

posted 09-14-2003 01:29 PM      Profile for EspeonNidoking   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
why ask a question that has no answer ;o

it's gonna be different for every person.

- - - - -
"Yeah, my pubic hair has dollar signs trimmed in it!

$$Bling Bling$$" ~Jman

From: Summit,New Jersey, Tampa, Fl, and Rindge, NH | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 09-14-2003 04:38 PM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Chloreon: More importantly, they lead vastly different lives. [Many] humans find it necessary to look for more than passing on their genes in their lives, and suffer emotional instability if they can't have/achieve these different things, so how can reproduction be the meaning of [human] life in these cases?

Zerot was responding to the question in the sense of not what makes us happy, but what makes us significant to the Greater Good. That point can't really be argued successfully for any side, since no one would concede defeat, but to claim that Zerot's perspective is inconsistent with reality is wrong. From the nihilistic point of view, well, emotional instability doesn't matter. In fact, it may well be preferred, since unstable people tend to screw more often to escape the bleakness of their realities. You're assuming that what people like and what makes them happy coincide with their purpose; Zerot does not.

If you have a purely practical, scientific view on things and how they came to be, then doesn't that kind of rule out the possibility of meaning - at least up until the point where humans started to think and love, thus ruling out the be born/mate/die theory and making "the meaning of life" a purely human philosophy anyway?

Not at all. For example, you could adopt the position that some kindly deity set up the world so that humans would be destined to evolve. After all, if to Him all time is exposed, then deciding to create humans and working back where he needs to start to get there could be as feasible as working back through objects, atoms, nucleons, quarks, strings is for us. Give your God some credit. [Wink]

MK: Kinda makes sense when ya think about it, one of those wise man on top of the mountain answers...

Yeah... but when I think something makes sense, the next thing I do is consider opposing opinions. If thousands/millions of people think they're right, there must be some sense in them too. If there are many sensible options and if only one is correct (not always an if you can assume), then sensibility alone isn't a very good benchmark.

ub: But what's the point in ensuring the survival of your species considering the species will not survive for an eternity anyway?

That's assuming the meaning of the individual is dependent on the fate of the species, which it may or may not be. Drone ants have rather obvious purposes, though all anthills die off eventually.

Myself, being Mormon I get to cop out from these sorts of debates, because I have eternity to look forward to. [Razz]

I would think the same would apply to any Christians out there too, though... why worry about it if life is only a few decades and eternity is, well, eternal? Or am I alone in my faith?

EN: why ask a question that has no answer ;o

That position is no more or less valid than to give an answer, unless you give reasons why general answers are inescapably wrong.

- - - - -
[insert sig here]

Atma
Farting Nudist
Member # 689

Member Rated:
posted 09-14-2003 07:01 PM      Profile for Atma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Life is a sperm's way of making more sperm.

- - - - -
"My name is Atma...
I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.
Forgotten in the river of time...
I've had an eternity to ponder the meaning of things...
And now I have an answer..."

From: Cinnabar Isle, Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Wintermute
My custom title sucks.
Member # 5

Member Rated:
posted 09-14-2003 07:29 PM      Profile for Wintermute   Author's Homepage   Email Wintermute   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
POONTANG
From: Winnipeg, Manitoba | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
crowN
Farting Nudist
Member # 3415

posted 09-14-2003 08:00 PM      Profile for crowN   Email crowN   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is kind of like a .999999 = 1 thread

- - - - -
http://profiles.myspace.com/users/Krivanka

^___^;;

Miko
Farting Nudist
Member # 3504

Member Rated:
posted 09-14-2003 08:09 PM      Profile for Miko     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
But... .999999 doesn't equal 1...does it?

- - - - -
Goo goo ka choo

Thomas
Farting Nudist
Member # 3371

Member Rated:
posted 09-14-2003 08:14 PM      Profile for Thomas     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
John Omally (9:32:16 PM): tell your parents to eat fuck and dont drop human anatomy
Zerg Option (9:32:26 PM): what
Zerg Option (9:32:28 PM): oh that
Zerg Option (9:32:35 PM): i'm not in anat
John Omally (9:32:39 PM): what
Zerg Option (9:32:40 PM): i'll be transferred to anat
John Omally (9:32:40 PM): AWakwjrbw
John Omally (9:32:48 PM): oh ok so do that
Zerg Option (9:33:06 PM): you told me to tell my parents to eat fuck
John Omally (9:33:14 PM): you can still tell them that
John Omally (9:33:22 PM): in human anatomy you get to dissect a human
Zerg Option (9:33:33 PM): i figured
John Omally (9:33:42 PM): and it becomes your pet
Zerg Option (9:33:47 PM): awesome
John Omally (9:33:58 PM): and then one day you dissect the head and use it as a puppet and get suspended
John Omally (9:34:39 PM): a puppet
Zerg Option (9:35:12 PM): then i'd be a puppet master am i rite
John Omally (9:35:20 PM): you would be
John Omally (9:35:41 PM): and then later on you have sex with the body and a girl catches you and then she starts making out with you and the body
Zerg Option (9:35:52 PM): swell
John Omally (9:36:10 PM): because you're both necrophiliacs you fall in love and get married
Zerg Option (9:36:17 PM): gotcha
John Omally (9:36:26 PM): but one day you catch her having sex with the dog
John Omally (9:36:34 PM): anal sex
John Omally (9:36:51 PM): and you are so distraught that you jump out of the window but you only manage to break three of your limbs
John Omally (9:37:12 PM): and when your wife visits you in the hospital you can smell the dog on her
John Omally (9:37:25 PM): the dog who you raised from a puppy
John Omally (9:37:34 PM): is fucking your wife
John Omally (9:38:06 PM): its almost as bad as if you walked in on her being fucked by your son
John Omally (9:38:18 PM): which you end up doing 11 years later
John Omally (9:38:39 PM): you didnt split up with her after you caught her fucking the dog since you're such a coward
John Omally (9:39:01 PM): and although you gave the dog to your friends, every night in bed you can still smell that dog all over your wife
John Omally (9:39:34 PM): her hair doesnt smell like that nice shampoo anymore, it just smells like the dog
John Omally (9:40:26 PM): and so you go through your loveless marriage and during one of your very few sessions with her you manage to keep you dick hard long enough to impregnate her
John Omally (9:41:01 PM): since the both of you are moral cowards and afraid of the other you decide to keep the baby even though neither of you truly want it
John Omally (9:41:40 PM): and during those hellish months before the birth of your firstborn son you realize you can no longer love
John Omally (9:42:12 PM): and when your son is born, you hold him and you smile, but deep down you feel nothing, just a cold blank dread for your future
John Omally (9:42:55 PM): you are a distant father, never really bonding with you son, while with each passing day it feels like they are conspiring against you
John Omally (9:42:59 PM): like they dont want you anymore
John Omally (9:43:05 PM): they certainly don't need you
John Omally (9:43:21 PM): her job pays a lot more than your miserable one, she's supporting the household
John Omally (9:43:54 PM): and your freckle-faced son is doing just fine without playing catch with you, he doesn't need your help with his math homework
John Omally (9:44:03 PM): you don't even drive him to school, she does
John Omally (9:44:33 PM): they spend so much time together when you're working your late, grueling hours for the faceless corporation that pays you
Zerg Option (9:45:10 PM): ok, stop with this nihilistic nonsense
John Omally (9:45:27 PM): and one day you'll come home early, you'll drop your suitcase on the couch, walk upstairs to use the bathroom, and there is your wife and your son sixtynining on your bed
Zerg Option (9:45:43 PM): yeah, shit happens
John Omally (9:46:35 PM): and the only thing going through your mind as you back out of the doorway and find your bottle of sleeping pills and your cheap blended whiskey, is that your son's hairless cock is so much bigger than yours
Zerg Option (9:47:09 PM): omally you need to stop typing
John Omally (9:47:12 PM): and you go lie down in the backseat of your leased car, and you kill yourself
Zerg Option (9:47:22 PM): so the stories over?
John Omally (9:47:26 PM): yes
Zerg Option (9:47:28 PM): ok
Zerg Option (9:47:36 PM): so when does this all happen?
John Omally (9:47:36 PM): i think it's a pretty good story
Zerg Option (9:47:40 PM): i do too
John Omally (9:47:50 PM): it starts in your human anatomy class when you meet the necrophiliac
Zerg Option (9:48:01 PM): oh yeah
Zerg Option (9:48:10 PM): so i better not drop enviro then, huh?
John Omally (9:48:20 PM): no you should take human anatomy
Zerg Option (9:48:26 PM): but
Zerg Option (9:48:30 PM): i'll kill myself
John Omally (9:48:34 PM): don't be such a prude about the dog
John Omally (9:48:41 PM): it's not so bad
John Omally (9:51:48 PM): i think i should submit that to the university newspaper
Zerg Option (9:52:51 PM): yeah
Zerg Option (9:53:05 PM): or to reader's digest
John Omally (9:53:11 PM): most people dont like necrophilia or bestiality or incest really though

[ 09-14-2003, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Thomas ]

ceoalex316
Member # 338

posted 09-14-2003 08:17 PM      Profile for ceoalex316     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MK:
Anyway, I asked him somethin like "what do you think the meaning of life is" and all he said was "live, laugh, love"

Kinda makes sense when ya think about it, one of those wise man on top of the mountain answers...

Those things can change as easily as societies opinion on them changes. Life can mean whatever you want it to mean.
crowN
Farting Nudist
Member # 3415

posted 09-14-2003 08:26 PM      Profile for crowN   Email crowN   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well let's see

1/3 = .33333
------

1/3+1/3+1/3 = 3/3
3/3 = 1

[Embarrassed]

- - - - -
http://profiles.myspace.com/users/Krivanka

^___^;;

Miko
Farting Nudist
Member # 3504

Member Rated:
posted 09-14-2003 08:58 PM      Profile for Miko     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
wow! ^-^

- - - - -
Goo goo ka choo

Mentar the Malady Monkey
worst username ever
Member # 1182

Member Rated:
posted 09-14-2003 09:16 PM      Profile for Mentar the Malady Monkey   Email Mentar the Malady Monkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
1. Don't be an asshole.
2. Adhere to, and improve upon, the culture of your ancestors (or whatever culture you choose) in a manner you see fit.
3. Don't be an asshole.
4. Get laid at least three times.

I like my answer better than all that philosophical bullshit. The more I read up on philosophy, the more disheartened I become because I realize my ideas are nothing new.

- - - - -
WHAT.

From: Pandemonium, HL, Hades | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Face
I invented cancer.
Member # 1916

Member Rated:
posted 09-15-2003 09:50 AM      Profile for Face   Author's Homepage   Email Face   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Go to an internet board.

- - - - -
Weezing!

From: Hackensack, nj | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
undone-backwards
Farting Nudist
Member # 197

Member Rated:
posted 09-15-2003 12:21 PM      Profile for undone-backwards   Email undone-backwards   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rolk: because I have eternity to look forward to. [Razz]

you hope...

I'm a little wary of all religions, particularly those created in the 19th century.

EN: why ask a question that has no answer ;o

So we're able to understand the question's meaning, what could count as an answer, and what methods can be used to find an answer (if an answer is to be found).

Philosophy is relevant as it continues to provide new ways of thought which are applicable to the permanent and deepest concerns of humans/society today.

The more pressing concern should be "why ask this on an internet pogeyman message forum?".

[ 09-15-2003, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: undone-backwards ]

MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 09-15-2003 02:37 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Miko:
But... .999999 doesn't equal 1...does it?

Here's another way to explain it. Assume that the .9999 goes on forever.

My Calculus II teacher explained this to me. It's like this. For a number to be a unique number there has to be a number than can possibly be above and below it. In other words, what number can fit between .99999 forever and 1.0000? There isn't such a number, therefore .9999 does equal one...

pkthunder
I look like your mom.
Member # 67

Member Rated:
posted 09-16-2003 09:35 PM      Profile for pkthunder   Author's Homepage   Email pkthunder   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From: Broomfield, CO | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 09-16-2003 09:56 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, .9999... repeating does in fact equal one.

An easier way (I think) is this:

1/3 is .3333...
2/3 is .6666...
1/3 + 2/3 = 3/3 = 1

But if every digit of the decimal version adds up to 9, you get .9999... which must then be 1.

This is of course, the same thing as the two earlier posts, but years ago I found it made more sense with the more familiar addition.

The actual wacko "proof" of this involved induction? I don't remember.

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Anthrax
Ultimate Authoritative Power in the Universe
Member # 335

Member Rated:
posted 09-16-2003 10:14 PM      Profile for Anthrax   Author's Homepage   Email Anthrax   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
there is no meaning to life.

you will struggle and strive for some undefined goal for your entire existence, from the moment of your birth to the moment you die alone in a home for the "memory impaired."

and all that struggling, all the sacrifices you made, everything you endured in pursuit of that Great Nameless Goal will mean nothing.

there is no meaning to life, not even "the survival of the species" that so many pseudointellectuals seem to think is the actual meaning. the universe will die, there is nothing that will stop it, and if by some unfortunate miracle the human race is still around to bear witness to the shrinking universe it will be erased regardless.

searching for the meaning of life is about as sensible as searching for the meaning of beauty, or the meaning of fire. there's no meaning. there's no point. life is just an oddity, like an ant trapped in a bubble in a mile-high cube of otherwise flawless glass.

there's no revelation out there for you to find. there's no great truth in some tibetan shrine waiting for you. all there is is one very short span of time for you to entertain yourself as best as you can.

From: Somebody put shit in my pants! | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
starCaliber
is evil and also MewtwoSama
Member # 268

Member Rated:
posted 09-16-2003 10:25 PM      Profile for starCaliber   Email starCaliber   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
god i love when you get all philosophical, omally

fucking touch me

From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
ceoalex316
Member # 338

posted 09-17-2003 01:11 AM      Profile for ceoalex316     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anthrax:
all there is is one very short span of time for you to entertain yourself as best as you can.

Entertainment has to meaningful in order for it to entertain you. If it was meaningless then you would feel no emotional attachment to it, thus not being entertained.

- - - - -

New Guy
Farting Nudist
Member # 692

Member Rated:
posted 09-17-2003 02:42 AM      Profile for New Guy   Email New Guy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm just gona ramble off some replies. Perhaps not much sense will be made, but well see.

MK-In real life I once asked this guy who I considered to be really smart and had things figured out... Anyway, I asked him somethin like "what do you think the meaning of life is" and all he said was "live, laugh, love"

Eh, I'm not a fan of answeres that have no meaning besides what you imagine them to have. I guess what he is saying is the pursuit of happines is the meaning to life, which I can understand.

0t-
1. Be Born.
3. Die.

If you look at it as a strict cause effect way, then sure. You could go into some of the other meanings of life that make that ultimate goal possible. Eating, sleeping, not liking pain all serve the ultimate goal to make more people. The Survival Of Your Species at it's base, is fullfilment of the desire to fuck. So the meaning of life is satiation of base desires. Which is the ultimate happines for some people. You and MK have the same meaning of life [Eek!]

ceoalex-Anyway, try to look at it like this, when you go watch a movie do you think to yourself that its just a meaningless waste of photons? Or do you get sucked into the world it creates for you? Think of life that way.

Hmmmm... So, are you saying that since life is so meaningless, then you might as well go along with the gag and give it meaning anyway?

Chloreon:So in a way, in my opinion, the meaning of life is to make the most of it and appreciate life for what it is.

But what is "making the most of it"? What, in your opinion, is life, and what is aprreciable about it?

EN-why ask a question that has no answer ;o

Cause I'm bored.

You haven't given me an answer yet. "I dunno" or "I never gave it much thought" would be fine.

Rolken-Myself, being Mormon I get to cop out from these sorts of debates, because I have eternity to look forward to.

I'm not a mormon, and common knowledge is a mystery to me. I think your saying that your answer is decided for you. Then what is it?

Atma-Life is a sperm's way of making more sperm.

Another point for procreation. I get the sneaking suspicion that answer is just an excuse for promiscuity [Wink] .

Wintermute-POONTANG
If it ain't The Meaning, it's at least a good diversion.

Thomas- snip

Or, instead of killing himself in the backseat of his car, he could just go get a job at the morgue, and live the rest of his days in bliss.

Mentar-
1. Don't be an asshole.
2. Adhere to, and improve upon, the culture of your ancestors (or whatever culture you choose) in a manner you see fit.
3. Don't be an asshole.
4. Get laid at least three times.

Man with a plan. I like that. Especially the last part.

So you think the MOL is an exterior set of goals and rules that you need to follow, and is not some interior philosophical reason. Ok, I can see that.

I like my answer better than all that philosophical bullshit. The more I read up on philosophy, the more disheartened I become because I realize my ideas are nothing new.

It still isn't new. But, as long as you arrive to that conclusion more or less of your own accord, then there is no tarnish to it. Originality is highly over rated, IMO.

pkthunder-42

Sexorz me plz.

BTW, once I did forget to fall. It ALMOST worked.

Anthrax:There is no meaning to life

So everybody is just wrong?

I actually agree with this statement. I don't think there is any sentience that made life, or that life is a means to any kind of end. I think we are all just her because of circumstance. There is no meaning. But people make them up, and I want to know what and why.

and all that struggling, all the sacrifices you made, everything you endured in pursuit of that Great Nameless Goal will mean nothing.

Yea. So? If it means nothing in the end, then why not do it anyway, if you want to?

the universe will die, there is nothing that will stop it, and if by some unfortunate miracle the human race is still around to bear witness to the shrinking universe it will be erased regardless.
True. That does not mean there is anything wrong with pondering the MOL.

searching for the meaning of life is about as sensible as searching for the meaning of beauty, or the meaning of fire. there's no meaning. there's no point. life is just an oddity, like an ant trapped in a bubble in a mile-high cube of otherwise flawless glass.

I don't think sense has anyhting to do with it. I don't know why people search for the MOL, but we do. Wheather or not there is is any sense to it does not negate the validity of what people think.

there's no revelation out there for you to find. there's no great truth in some tibetan shrine waiting for you. all there is is one very short span of time for you to entertain yourself as best as you can.

I agree. This is my entertaiment.

Anthrax
Member # 335

Member Rated:
posted 09-17-2003 10:57 AM      Profile for Anthrax   Author's Homepage   Email Anthrax   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
it appears that you are all missing my point.

there's no meaning to find, so there's no sense in searching for one. there's no point in pondering what life is for since it isn't for anything. you can debate it and study it and theorize about it but in the end it is just an exercise in futility.

there's no purpose to life, so just have fun. that doesn't mean the meaning of life is to have fun.

Boodabonzi
like a virgin
Member # 2958

Member Rated:
posted 09-17-2003 11:38 AM      Profile for Boodabonzi   Email Boodabonzi   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pkthunder:

You get no points for originality Kim but you've got breasts and a vagina so I guess you're okay in my book.

- - - - -
OK, I know I'm probably not the nicest Pokemon Trainer when it comes to giving advice, and if I get flamed on this, it is probably well deserved. So here goes...

From: Hitchin - biggest little shanty town in all of England | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Face
I invented cancer.
Member # 1916

Member Rated:
posted 09-17-2003 11:42 AM      Profile for Face   Author's Homepage   Email Face   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The real meaning of life is to be like Anthrax. Let's all be like Anthrax.

- - - - -
Weezing!

From: Hackensack, nj | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boodabonzi
like a virgin
Member # 2958

Member Rated:
posted 09-17-2003 12:39 PM      Profile for Boodabonzi   Email Boodabonzi   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
there is absolutely no way I'm growing my hair that long

- - - - -
OK, I know I'm probably not the nicest Pokemon Trainer when it comes to giving advice, and if I get flamed on this, it is probably well deserved. So here goes...

From: Hitchin - biggest little shanty town in all of England | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wintermute
My custom title sucks.
Member # 5

Member Rated:
posted 09-17-2003 03:23 PM      Profile for Wintermute   Author's Homepage   Email Wintermute   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There's a key part of Anthrax's answer that might get lost amid the existentialist stuff.

There is no meaning of life, but it's in the same way that there's no irony of Tuesday. (Or meaning of beauty, etc...) What are you even talking about? It's true that there's no answer, but not because that's how the universe happens to be constituted. There's no answer because the question itself is a linguistic abortion.

The best "response" is to try to dissolve the asker's confusion. To see what I mean, think of any halfway plausible answer to this question, such as those given in this thread. Notice that all of them were given as if some other question had been asked. e.g.

How did life come to exist?
What is our ultimate fate?
What should I do with my life?
Am I here for a reason (for someone else's purpose)?
What is 6 x 9?
etc.

This would be true even if God existed and created humans and provided an afterlife and so forth. That would change the correct answers to some of the substituted questions, but it wouldn't change the fact that you should substitute a better question.

From: Winnipeg, Manitoba | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Pornbot
I AM A GAY FAGGOT GAY
Member # 1321

Member Rated:
posted 09-17-2003 03:32 PM      Profile for Pornbot   Author's Homepage   Email Pornbot   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think what thrax and tobert are trying to say is that quite frankly, this thread is gay, very gay one might say

that said, this thread is in FACT, now about the discussion and use of safety scissors

one time I cut paper out the shape of a kittens head and drew on it it was pretty my teacher gave me a gold star but that was a couple weeks ago

[ 09-17-2003, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: Pornbot ]

Miko
Farting Nudist
Member # 3504

Member Rated:
posted 09-17-2003 04:07 PM      Profile for Miko     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was once yelled at and told that students weren't suppose to have scissors. This was in 9th grade.

- - - - -
Goo goo ka choo

Pornbot
I AM A GAY FAGGOT GAY
Member # 1321

Member Rated:
posted 09-17-2003 04:19 PM      Profile for Pornbot   Author's Homepage   Email Pornbot   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
you should of punched her in the face
undone-backwards
Farting Nudist
Member # 197

Member Rated:
posted 09-17-2003 04:33 PM      Profile for undone-backwards   Email undone-backwards   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fagbot: I think what thrax and tobert are trying to say is that quite franky, this thread is gay, very gay one might say

RELAX! just do it!

ceoalex316
Member # 338

posted 09-17-2003 07:28 PM      Profile for ceoalex316     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
it appears that you are all missing my point.

there's no meaning to find, so there's no sense in searching for one. there's no point in pondering what life is for since it isn't for anything. you can debate it and study it and theorize about it but in the end it is just an exercise in futility.

there's no purpose to life, so just have fun. that doesn't mean the meaning of life is to have fun.

You confused purpose with meaning, unless you were talking about purpose in which case isn’t mentioned in the question asked. Mute pretty mentioned the same thing.

quote:
ceoalex-Anyway, try to look at it like this, when you go watch a movie do you think to yourself that its just a meaningless waste of photons? Or do you get sucked into the world it creates for you? Think of life that way.

New Guy: Hmmmm... So, are you saying that since life is so meaningless, then you might as well go along with the gag and give it meaning anyway?

I'm saying it is meaningless if you give it no meaning. Meaning is different for each person, a person can look at a picture of house and give it a different meaning that someone who looks at that same picture.

- - - - -

Anthrax
Member # 335

Member Rated:
posted 09-17-2003 07:47 PM      Profile for Anthrax   Author's Homepage   Email Anthrax   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
you can't give something meaning.
Pornbot
I AM A GAY FAGGOT GAY
Member # 1321

Member Rated:
posted 09-17-2003 09:08 PM      Profile for Pornbot   Author's Homepage   Email Pornbot   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by undone-backwards:
Fagbot: I think what thrax and tobert are trying to say is that quite franky, this thread is gay, very gay one might say

RELAX! just do it!

smash yourself in the face with a shovel until you no longer exist
ceoalex316
Member # 338

posted 09-17-2003 10:17 PM      Profile for ceoalex316     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
you can't give something meaning.

Yes you can. Like I said before, you give the photons that fly into your eyes from a movie meaning. You don’t choose to see them as a bunch of photons you therefore give the photons some sort of meaning.

- - - - -

Anthrax
Member # 335

Member Rated:
posted 09-17-2003 11:06 PM      Profile for Anthrax   Author's Homepage   Email Anthrax   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You don't see them as a bunch of photons because you physically cannot see them as a bunch of photons.

It's a movie. "Movie" isn't the meaning of photons emitting from a movie screen.

You can't look at some abstract painting and "give" it meaning. It's just an ugly painting, and even though you think you see Santa Claus riding a giraffe, or the savage nature of man, or truth, that doesn't mean anything. After everyone's left the gallery, it's still an ugly painting that doesn't look like anything.

ceoalex316
Member # 338

posted 09-18-2003 12:08 AM      Profile for ceoalex316     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Even if its an ugly painting it still means something to you, its meaning is to provide a disgusting sight.

Its very hard to prove that an object that “exists” doesn’t have any meaning what so ever, saying so won’t take away what it symbolizes to you. Unless you can prove everything represents nothing, you can’t really claim life has no meaning.

Anthrax
Member # 335

Member Rated:
posted 09-18-2003 12:17 AM      Profile for Anthrax   Author's Homepage   Email Anthrax   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
no. its meaning would not be to provide a disgusting sight. it's just a painting. even if the artist himself explained what he was trying to do by painting it, it would still be meaningless.

look, you don't seem to be understanding me. things can have effects, they can do things. a song may make you feel good, a photograph of a mutilated child may make you feel sick or sad or angry, but those aren't their meanings. while a sewing machine may be built for the purposes of sewing and sewing is its function, it is not its meaning.

because nothinng has any meaning.

Pornbot
I AM A GAY FAGGOT GAY
Member # 1321

Member Rated:
posted 09-18-2003 12:24 AM      Profile for Pornbot   Author's Homepage   Email Pornbot   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
thats deep man, like, fucking radiohead deep
Dweedle
My hands and feet are mangos
Member # 1209

Member Rated:
posted 09-18-2003 01:07 AM      Profile for Dweedle   Email Dweedle   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tool is deeper

Radiohead sucks

Toolhead 4ever!

Radiotool is my favorite band

- - - - -
the only way to get pass this will be to commit suicune

From: second of all, Quagmire's not really a bad guy! | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Barrierd
I have a colony of shrimp living in my bladder
Member # 3132

Member Rated:
posted 09-18-2003 03:03 AM      Profile for Barrierd   Email Barrierd   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
no. its meaning would not be to provide a disgusting sight. it's just a painting. even if the artist himself explained what he was trying to do by painting it, it would still be meaningless.

look, you don't seem to be understanding me. things can have effects, they can do things. a song may make you feel good, a photograph of a mutilated child may make you feel sick or sad or angry, but those aren't their meanings. while a sewing machine may be built for the purposes of sewing and sewing is its function, it is not its meaning.

because nothinng has any meaning.

How do you define "meaning"?

- - - - -
Where are my bitches

From: Victoria, B.C., Canada | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
undone-backwards
Farting Nudist
Member # 197

Member Rated:
posted 09-18-2003 02:07 PM      Profile for undone-backwards   Email undone-backwards   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
smash yourself in the face with a shovel until you no longer exist

I love it when you get all sentimental. If only you had a penis we could be bum-buddies.

*sighs* [Roll Eyes]

How do you define "meaning"?

Aha! This is what happens in philosophy - everything is broken down to it's simplest form, then we realise that we actually know nothing.

while a sewing machine may be built for the purposes of sewing and sewing is its function, it is not its meaning.

Everything that has been designed has an essence: the essence of a chair is to be sat on, the essence of a television is to be watched, the essence of a sewing machine is to sew, and so forth. They have meanings because they were designed to do so. Therefore, to say that life has a meaning is to say that life was designed and is not just a random series of events.

[ 09-18-2003, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: undone-backwards ]

spunman
Farting Nudist
Member # 1181

posted 09-23-2003 02:50 PM      Profile for spunman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
on the one hand, i strongly believe that life has a reason. on the other, i've never really applied myself to guessing what that reason might be. i haven't even bothered. yes, there's a reason out there, and i do enjoy hearing (or reading, in this case) other people's ideas, but i'm not interested in knowing what the reason is. i've determined how i'm going to live my own life and what i want to achieve, but the ultimate reason behind it all is none of my concern.

maybe a unique point of view, maybe not, but it's one more opinion you can add to your pool of answers.

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.