The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » The Courtyard   » Karp Park   » US Invasion?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: US Invasion?
Zerot
I pay schoolgirls to verbally abuse me.
Member # 1295

Member Rated:
posted 02-24-2003 08:33 PM      Profile for Zerot   Author's Homepage   Email Zerot   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is it possible for the US to be successfully invaded? Barring the use of nukes, of course.

If so, how exactly? If not, why not?

From: Lizton, Indiana | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 02-24-2003 08:57 PM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, whether it could or not (and I doubt it), it seems silly; why bother with a good-old-fashioned invasion when you can send a few yahoos through to disrupt major infrastructural hubs?

- - - - -
[insert sig here]

Mentar the Malady Monkey
worst username ever
Member # 1182

Member Rated:
posted 02-24-2003 09:11 PM      Profile for Mentar the Malady Monkey   Email Mentar the Malady Monkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Personally, I can't see it happening. The US' relative geographical isolation would mean that almost any nation would either need to ally with Russia or a (very powerful and very roomy) North American nation, or else it would need to set up insanely long supply lines.

Even if such a country did overcome such a problem, they'd have to face our relatively competent army, navy and air force. Recruitment rates are up right now, so that'd be even more of an obstacle than usual.

Lastly, our militia is second to none as a last-ditch defense. Damn that right to bear arms.

It would take a bunch of really fucking big countries, with no allies on our side, to successfully "invade" the US.

- - - - -
WHAT.

From: Pandemonium, HL, Hades | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Muffin King
Farting Nudist
Member # 2240

Member Rated:
posted 02-24-2003 09:16 PM      Profile for The Muffin King   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The most likely invasion would probably occur through South and Central America. Those nations could be easily taken over by hostlie forces, and be used as a base of operations. It's very unlikely though- afterall who'd wanna fuck with us? Even China wouldn't want to engage in a full scale war against the U.S. The most likely thing to happen in official war would be bombing raids and missle strikes, maybe some invasions, and espionage.
MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 02-24-2003 09:22 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One thing is, even if they did amount such a large army, we'd know they were coming. Thanks to radar and crap.

It'd half to be like the entire rest of the world vs US to stand a chance...

Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 02-24-2003 10:14 PM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
or a (very powerful and very roomy) North American nation,
I believe the roomy part.

All it'd take is one US general to say "Hey, Canada has a big gun" and it'd be over.
~Uiru

- - - - -
TIDUDSOFIEIHUGHEXXXC: "maybe he will let you touch his blow up do"

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

From: the floating castle of Newfoundland | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tghost
Farting Nudist
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
posted 02-24-2003 10:21 PM      Profile for Tghost   Author's Homepage   Email Tghost   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
America's armed forces are, in peace time, around 13 times more powerful than the next 13 militaries by strength combined. They also have enough nukes to destroy the world a couple times over, not to mention the largest research and development thrusts in the world towards military research.

America is the last motherfucking superpower. So, no.

- - - - -
My brain went on vacation and left my pancreas in charge

From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 02-24-2003 10:39 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bring 'em on.

Seriously, every hippie I know who wouldn't fight in a war for some dubious goal would kill to defend the US.

And dude, there's way more guns than people here.

Invading America would be like invading hell.

- - - - -
Subject: Ninja and Opensource

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 02-24-2003 11:59 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
With, you know, demons and such.
IceHawk78
NOBODY IMPORTANT
Member # 1699

Member Rated:
posted 02-25-2003 12:04 AM      Profile for IceHawk78   Author's Homepage   Email IceHawk78   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Can I help invade?
Boodabonzi
like a virgin
Member # 2958

Member Rated:
posted 02-25-2003 11:27 AM      Profile for Boodabonzi   Email Boodabonzi   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I dunno, I pretty much think, due to landscape of the majorly populated areas and such it would be pretty easy to invade if you just had the necessary manpower and big motherfucking tank power. And also some mortar crews.

- - - - -
OK, I know I'm probably not the nicest Pokemon Trainer when it comes to giving advice, and if I get flamed on this, it is probably well deserved. So here goes...

From: Hitchin - biggest little shanty town in all of England | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 02-25-2003 11:45 AM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
that's a big if.

guided missiles anyone?

- - - - -
[insert sig here]

Psybro
Half Psyduck. Half Slowbro. All cop.
Member # 290

Member Rated:
posted 02-25-2003 12:13 PM      Profile for Psybro   Email Psybro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I dunno man, if you saw Independence Day you'll know that all the brain dead hicks will get their trailers together and reclaim the land. Nobody would think to bomb hicks.

Or something.

[ 02-25-2003, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Psybro ]

From: Sheffield, South Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Boodabonzi
like a virgin
Member # 2958

Member Rated:
posted 02-25-2003 01:02 PM      Profile for Boodabonzi   Email Boodabonzi   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When did the hicks reclaim the land in ID?

- - - - -
OK, I know I'm probably not the nicest Pokemon Trainer when it comes to giving advice, and if I get flamed on this, it is probably well deserved. So here goes...

From: Hitchin - biggest little shanty town in all of England | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 02-25-2003 01:59 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Remember the big hoard of hicks all in their motorhomes driving across the desert. You know they'd have guns...

Then Will Smith showed up and told them how to find Area 51.

Thom Burr
Farting Nudist
Member # 1267

Member Rated:
posted 02-25-2003 02:10 PM      Profile for Thom Burr   Email Thom Burr   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The only real invasion threat facing the United States of America comes from the USA itself. Just a cursory reading of Civil War history will pretty much prove that the only force that can oppose the American military is...the American military. Reading about all the invasions and counter-invasions back then is more than a little disturbing, when you realize how close things came to spiraling into total mutually assured destruction. It hardly requires nukes to annihilate all civil society, and the North and South very nearly managed to demonstrate this on a continent-wide scale.

The American Civil War was, at the time, the most vicious, brutal, and murderous war ever fought in human history. Not till WWI was that record broken. It happened before, it could--in theory--happen again. But that's the only real "conventional" military threat the US Homeland will likely ever face.

- - - - -
This is not a signature.

MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 02-25-2003 03:07 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It could happen again, but I don't think it will. We try to learn from history, any one with half a brain would be all like "hey this is Civil War Part Two"

We're more unified now, it wouldn't be just dudes on horseback and stuff, if anyone in our country started getting out of line the rest of the US would put a stop to it before it got out of hand...

ceoalex316
Time for the flaming leprosy party
Member # 338

posted 02-25-2003 03:20 PM      Profile for ceoalex316     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
China could do it.

They have a capitalist economy that could (in about 20 years) produce mass amounts of war goods. They also have the numbers.

To invade they would need to team up with someone close to the U.S. or risk a D-day style invasion. Though an invasion that big would be really hard to surprise us with. Without a surprise attack the chances of a successful D-day attack on America are slim.

But then we would launch about 10,000 nukes towards their country.

- - - - -
Maximum Penetration Industries.

Mentar the Malady Monkey
worst username ever
Member # 1182

Member Rated:
posted 02-25-2003 05:15 PM      Profile for Mentar the Malady Monkey   Email Mentar the Malady Monkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You're forgetting something, alex. How the hell would China manage to maintain an army large enough to actually invade the us? They'd have to keep supplying their army with food, fuel, and ammo for months on end. It would be insanely hard to coordinate such a supply line, and no neighbor of the US could possibly produce enough to help them in that effort. Morale would plummet like no man's business: cycling troops in and out of the fight might become an issue for them, adding more to the difficulty of maintaining such supply lines. As far as I'm concerned, no country aside from the US has the sheer economy to maintain such massive transport systems over such a large distance for such a long time.

Also, with satellites, there would be almost no element of surprise whatsoever. You think we wouldn't notice them mobilizing years in advance?

I'm not too familiar with D-Day, but from what I understand, it must have been a big help to have Britain still on our side and ready to help with supplies.

- - - - -
WHAT.

From: Pandemonium, HL, Hades | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Living on air bubbles
Frank Stallone
Member # 2089

posted 02-25-2003 06:50 PM      Profile for Living on air bubbles   Email Living on air bubbles   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't believe beach invasions are used anymore, with good reason. I suppose, though, that a beach invasion of, say, the east coast would be easier than the invasion at Normandy, mostly due to the terrain. Normandy was steep cliffs that limited landing location posibilities and 50 miles of bocage, steep hills, rivers, and valleys. Should the U.S. be invaded, it would be more urban warfare than anything else.
From: Cherry Hill, Suicide Captial of The World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Coxy
Hulkamania has run wild over me.
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
posted 02-25-2003 10:58 PM      Profile for Coxy   Email Coxy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It would take a large Communist empire many, many turns to generate the required numbers of MAs and Transports, and even then half the cities that they took would flip back after a few turns.

- - - - -
I love nintendolover, but only in a strictly platonic sense.

The Muffin King
Farting Nudist
Member # 2240

Member Rated:
posted 02-25-2003 11:04 PM      Profile for The Muffin King   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Think of all the rednecks...they are the best thing for this country. Imagine what would happen on the first day of being recruted...

"Aww hell sign me up, I'm ready! Bring 'em on son!"

"Sir, here's your M-16 rifle-"

"Aww hell, keep it, I already got mine."

"-and your combat knife-"

"Shucks, can' I jus' use mah ole coon skinner?"

"Erm..I suppose.."

"Yeehaw! Let's go kill some camel jockies!!"

And there's millions of people like that. USA! USA! USA! [Big Grin]

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 02-26-2003 12:29 AM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
First off, there *are* a million people like that. The US is filled with people who sit around thinking of ways to kill people. Some of them probably don't even want to live like that!

Thom Burr's post was well put.

MK's post was also valid: China is the only nation really capable of that sort of thing, and yes, in the timeline specified they could supply their army.

But they'd still lose, for the same reason we pulled out of Vietnam, times like a thousand.

I mean, I'd be out in the snow right now with a rifle. There's no way an army could deal with our army plus crazy people plus normal people.

Coxy
Hulkamania has run wild over me.
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
posted 02-26-2003 02:25 AM      Profile for Coxy   Email Coxy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just remembered once reading a topic on the exact opposite situation: going after China for reasons which the original poster didn't think were worth sharing.

Anyway, here's one of the replies I saved for posterity:
quote:
You ever kick over a red ant hill? Hmmm?? Didn't think so.
Ok ... say we were lucky enuf to smoke the Chinese Army and Navy completely. They got so dam many people, they could over run us with just their 3rd graders alone. If we somehow survived invasion from their 3rd graders, well then we got to face the 4th graders. There's prolly even more of them than 3rd graders. If we managed to get by the 4th grader's, we got to then fight the whole Chinese 5th grade class. This could go on up thru junior high school, where, if we lasted till then, we would get our asses handed to us just by the 8th grade girls alone. Those raging hormonal brats in the numbers they could throw at us would definitly be too much for us to handle.
Lets face man .... China just got too many dam people to mess wif

- - - - -
I love nintendolover, but only in a strictly platonic sense.

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.