The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » The Courtyard   » Karp Park   » Terrorism, there goes the centre (Page 4)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Terrorism, there goes the centre
IceHawk78
NOBODY IMPORTANT
Member # 1699

Member Rated:
posted 09-13-2001 04:07 PM      Profile for IceHawk78   Author's Homepage   Email IceHawk78   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Alright, I can give a report on how Cincinnati is dealing with this...

Yes, the city of the racial police and the polluted rivers. Well, we are once again showing how immature people can be.

Examples:
1) The Muslim leader here has been threatened repeatedly, and must even have police gurding him. We've already arrested one man on accounts of verbal harrassment. Geez, people can be such jerks.

2) At least two Gas sstations raised their prices to $4.00 a gallon! Luckily, most of the more SENSIBLE stations have kept their prices around normal ($1.50-$1.70).

3) At my school, mostly people are joking about it , but in english we had a discussion, and mostly we are divided into two responses: Blow their asses off the planet, or, Stop the killing.

My opinion in this: Once we know, beyond a reasonable doubt, who orchestrated this, bomb them. Or, we have the power, flatten the mountains, and invade. I have a Patriotism I never knew. But they must pay, and we must be ruthless. We did not start this, and I cannot be moved. As GWB said, if the country harboring whomever did this won't give them to us, then blow them off the map. They must pay.

However, I enjoy argueing, so someone, please, disagree, and give me good SOLID proof that we should not bomb them under these circumstances: We know who, beyond any reasonable doubt, AND the country harboring them won't give 'em to us. I repeat my prvious post:

quote:
This was not just an attack on us, but an attack on all freedom.
If there is any other way to nab the guy without harming innocents, please tell me.

And, if anyone wants to know, I only have AIM, but my s/n is UnholyCumulus78 if you wish to argue in real time. Either way, I will post the result here, whether I win or lose. I will try to be around 9-12 PM (EST)

Thank you for staying with me through all my rantings and ravings...

[edit] The one possibility that I have no idea of what to do is if we simply capture him, without killing him. How would any of you handle that?

[ 09-13-2001: Message edited by: IceHawk78 ]

Rei the Giant Koffing
Farting Nudist
Member # 1909

Member Rated:
posted 09-13-2001 04:26 PM      Profile for Rei the Giant Koffing   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
<removed for all the heart reapers>

[ 09-13-2001: Message edited by: Rei the Giant Koffing ]

From: Americas b0rked penis | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Donald
Bob the Builder
Member # 1551

Member Rated:
posted 09-13-2001 04:42 PM      Profile for Donald   Email Donald      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rei the Giant Koffing:
Actually, this whole thing is a big prank.
Eventually, Bush is gonna come forward and say, "Gotcha!" only to be killed by angery mobs.

Then the americans live happily ever after...or something.

All together now: "Rei2 is a fucking moron".

An update from Halifax, NS:

-The International Airport here took in 25 planes, with about 1500 people getting unexpected holidays. They are staying in sports arenas and schools, mainly. My brother attends the community college near my house, which is closed to students until Monday.

-The Armed Forces are still on high alert. That's why you haven't seen me lately: Mom needs the phone lines open in case they call her in for whatever reason. (Right now, I'm at work).

-Planes that were flying from Europe to the US will be sent back to the take-off point, and then flown to the intended destination.

-The Canadian equivalent to Headline News in the US has been pumping coverage non-stop for the past three days. Heck, I saw TNN do a Bin Laden profile on Tuesday night, so this must be serious.

-According to the WWF, Smackdown will air as planned tonight on UPN and Teh Score. However, it will air live instead of taped. (WWF's respect greatly fell!)

-Major League Baseball, the NFL, the PGA, the NHL, and most other sports federations have cancelled their events planned for this weekend. The only exception is the LPGA. This means that the baseball playoffs could stretch into November if the World Series goes 7 games.

-Donald Theriault, AHTV news, Dartmouth Nova Scotia.

From: In your girl's panties | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
daj
unregistered

posted 09-13-2001 04:52 PM           Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
REI, EDIT THAT POST YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE
IP: Logged
starCaliber
is evil and also MewtwoSama
Member # 268

Member Rated:
posted 09-13-2001 05:13 PM      Profile for starCaliber   Email starCaliber   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I've read the entire thread, and I now have a much better understanding as to who here doesn't know shit, and who's worth listening to. Thanks for posting, guys.

Rather than reply to everyone that I felt the need to reply to at one point or another on this thread, I'll simply post a picture I drew in MSPaint about 10 minutes ago that more or less expresses my feelings on the whole matter:

You'll either find it extremely offensive (I've already been called an “insensitive fucking asshole” in IRC for it), or find it to be a nice showing of American Pride.

And yes, I also think any tie-ins that Counter-Strike has to this scenario should be quite positive...the last thing I want is for the feds to be all over my favorite video game because it may or may not encourage this kind of thing.

Again, thanks for posting, guys.

From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Crazed Aipom
Farting Nudist
Member # 1575

Member Rated:
posted 09-13-2001 05:23 PM      Profile for Crazed Aipom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by StarCaliber:
Well, I've read the entire thread, and I now have a much better understanding as to who here doesn't know shit, and who's worth listening to. Thanks for posting, guys.

This is why I just keep my mouth closed on subjects like this, it's too early to know anything for sure still IMO.

As for the pic, that thing Sama posted was a latter by a Canadian Journalist. My U.S. History teacher read it to us last year.

[ 09-13-2001: Message edited by: Crazed Aipom ]

- - - - -
Turn the Robot Off.

From: www.turntherobotoff.com | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Footitch
Farting Nudist
Member # 663

Member Rated:
posted 09-13-2001 06:46 PM      Profile for Footitch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crazed Aipom:
This is why I just keep my mouth closed on subjects like this, it's too early to know anything for sure still IMO.[ 09-13-2001: Message edited by: Crazed Aipom ]

This is why you are weak and stupid.

This is up on my "Things that Piss the Hell out of me" list, with arrogance and lies.

Yeah, it was irrelevant, but I had to get it out.

- - - - -
Yeah, you smash those buttons you beat that thing!

The Vengful Gligar Man
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
posted 09-13-2001 06:51 PM      Profile for The Vengful Gligar Man   Email The Vengful Gligar Man   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I must apologize for some of the harsher comments in my post above. When i had written i that, i was under the belief that my brothers plane was the one high-jacked b/c he was heading from boston to LA. I have recently found out it wasnt. I also must commend sama, as an american, I had never thought about that. i was always taught americans just help other countries and expect nothing in return. But now i am looking at the world in a new perspective. Thanx and sorry
From: Outyskirts of Azelea Town | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crazed Aipom
Farting Nudist
Member # 1575

Member Rated:
posted 09-13-2001 07:00 PM      Profile for Crazed Aipom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fuck you.

I don't see anything wrong with not spewing crap and trying to look smart from it.

gruco
I am Ian Garvey's lovechild.
Member # 1645

Member Rated:
posted 09-13-2001 07:06 PM      Profile for gruco        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Footitch, why exactly is maintaining a cool head and not giving in to knee-jerk emotional reactions weak?

Why exactly is learning, thinking and reflecting before jumping to conclusions and shooting your mouth off stupid?

Really, I fail to see what could possibly be upsetting you here.

CHaRiZaRd
Farting Nudist
Member # 994

Member Rated:
posted 09-13-2001 07:28 PM      Profile for CHaRiZaRd   Author's Homepage   Email CHaRiZaRd   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If there is any other way to nab the guy without harming innocents, please tell me.

Philosophical input... No person is innocent. Use a different word next time.

The Vengful Gligar Man
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
posted 09-13-2001 08:06 PM      Profile for The Vengful Gligar Man   Email The Vengful Gligar Man   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wut was that for crazed aipom?
From: Outyskirts of Azelea Town | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Funnel Freak
James Albis' Bitch
Member # 910

Member Rated:
posted 09-13-2001 08:07 PM      Profile for Funnel Freak     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Vengful Gligar Man:
Wut was that for crazed aipom?

It was for Footitch, skrooy.

- - - - -
"my mom walked in when i farted and it stank"

From: WINIPEGWINNIPEGWINNIPGWINNIGEG | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Footitch
Farting Nudist
Member # 663

Member Rated:
posted 09-13-2001 09:07 PM      Profile for Footitch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
>> This is why I just keep my mouth closed on subjects like this, it's too early to know anything for sure still IMO.

TRANSLATION:
I am weak and afraid of being criticized or wrong or whatever my irrational fear is... so I'm going to be quiet and weak and let you all know.

Anyway, this is the wrong place to be fighting about this. Back on topic...

Cheebawulf, the problem with attacking Bin Laden right now is this:

We have no solid solid evidence Bin Laden did this (though we almost do). If we attack him now, it could generate sympathy for Arabs around the world by other countries. On the other hand, if we don't, it leaves us open to another attack... a tough call.

I wanted to mention also to Mick_Hale:

Don't worry about America attacking Israel. Though those bastard Arabs were partying over our loss, that doesn't have anything to do with Israel, and besides, they do not have the motives nor resources to attack us like that right now.

And we are not going to lose our only Middle-Eastern ally.

Crazed Aipom
Farting Nudist
Member # 1575

Member Rated:
posted 09-13-2001 09:18 PM      Profile for Crazed Aipom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Footitch:
>> This is why I just keep my mouth closed on subjects like this, it's too early to know anything for sure still IMO.

TRANSLATION:
I am weak and afraid of being criticized or wrong or whatever my irrational fear is... so I'm going to be quiet and weak and let you all know.

One word:
Uh?

More words:
I fail to see how not posting stuff that might be true, but also might not be, potentially leading impressionable minds who aren't educated on the subject to believing something that isn't true. That's how fucked up rumors get started, bastard. So yes, what is wrong with not talking about stuff you aren't sure of?

MiniJoe
Farting Nudist
Member # 512

Member Rated:
posted 09-13-2001 09:35 PM      Profile for MiniJoe   Email MiniJoe   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah this sucks, but we don't really have any answers now, so we can't just point fingers at Osama. We really have no proof it was him, just that a few terrorists are "tied" to him. Even if he did it, we are going to have a hard time attacking him. We are going to have a hard time doing anything.
MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 09-13-2001 10:52 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know that others feel differently, but, I would feel better knowing that the big evil dude behind all of this gets killed.

So he becomes a martyr to a bunch of dumbasses, big woop! He's still dead, etc.. etc... America rules, etc... etc... You don't mess with America, etc.. etc...

If we don't do anything to retaliate, i.e. kill him, it could show that the USofA is weak, leading to more attacks? Maybe...

Brayze
Farting Nudist
Member # 1286

Member Rated:
posted 09-13-2001 11:18 PM      Profile for Brayze     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There is nobody on the planet who thinks the US is weak. They are obviously the most powerful nation in the world. A lack of powerful action can lead to 2 ways of thinking.

1)The US is merciful (unlikely in the Middle East, many people there have been sired on hatred for the west in general, and the US in particular)
2)The US must be influenced with terrorism (current mode of thinking in the middle east, likely to be reinforced by any inaction).

However, a strong military action can also lead to 2 ways of thinking.

1)The US is cruel and despotic (the current thoughts throughout the US right now, unlikely to change anytime soon)
2)The US is not to be fucked with (unlikely, these people are used to seeing death, and the ante is somewhat greater for them, being religious in nature).

Essentially, it seems that either action is fucked either way. Personally, I feel the best way to go about it would be:

1)Harsh retribution for the attack first. Not only does this give the image of justice to the world, it also appeases the need for revenge which nearly everyone is feeling right now.

2)Infiltration of the sympathetic governments and terrorist cells. Part of the problem is that the people themselves are constantly bombarded by anti-western propaganda. Subtle changes in this self-perpetuating cycle could gradually sway public opinion. This will be a very slow effect, however.

3)US money should flow into the Middle east to upgrade infrastructure, thereby not only improving the standard of living (people are a lot less prone to rage if their lives are comfortable), but also giving them a chance to see our version of the truth through a better information network. More funds and aid coming from the US should help to break the "serpent's head" image. However, they may deny assistance out of pride in certain cases.

I've been speaking with people who have been there, and they say the conditions are atrocious in certain areas, while being excellent in others. This discrepancy is due greatly to uneven political and economic support from western nations, and the fanatical organizations use this as very powerful ammunition to sway the public (who are for the most part poor as dirt and stifled by warfare) onto their side. However, I doubt that the public would be willing to bite the hand that feeds them, and if they do, then we actually do have justification to strike back harshly at a later date.

This method will alter their culture (making it more western through clandestine methods), but shit, are things working out the way they are?

Time to make this world worth living in, not just for us, but for everybody.

- - - - -
Okay Weakmassif, it's time to firm that buttocks with a little mathematics.

From: Lunar Palace ver. 3.1 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Duolivous
Farting Nudist
Member # 2030

Member Rated:
posted 09-13-2001 11:38 PM      Profile for Duolivous   Author's Homepage   Email Duolivous   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This never should have happened to begin with. I feel for all the families that have lost loved ones. Something that really ticks me off though is that our yearbook editors don't want to cover this at all. They don't think any of this will effect Indiana. They couldn't be more wrong. The night it happened gas prices here were between 3 and 4 dollars. Cold-hearted freaks.

- - - - -
I need a new sig.

From: Someplace you've never heard of | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 09-14-2001 02:29 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mr. K beat me to posting about the Nostrodamus hoax. Here's another page on it.

MewtwoSama:
G.W. Bush
Albuquerque, N.M.
Aug. 15, 2001

Huh? What is this about?

- - - - -
"Anybody gone into Whole Foods lately and see what they charge for arugula?"
-- Barack Obama, campaigning in Iowa

Mick_Hale
Total Moron
Member # 419

Member Rated:
posted 09-14-2001 11:15 AM      Profile for Mick_Hale   Email Mick_Hale   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nostradamus suxx0r5.

Anyway, to bump this thread since it still has room to be bumped, the flight data from the Pentagon and Penssylvania was found. Any news on that?

- - - - -
"I mean, Bush lost a PR war with fucking Saddam Hussein. How pitiful is that?" ~ Mr. K

From: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Donald
Bob the Builder
Member # 1551

Member Rated:
posted 09-14-2001 01:52 PM      Profile for Donald   Email Donald      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not that I know of. And until teh White House confirms ANYTHING, I won't believe it. The families of the firemen that were "found" will want to smack the heck out of CNN.

And check this out from GameFAQs message board:

In this time of national crisis in the US (where most GameFAQs visitors live), emotions are intense and tension is high. If you post messages making light of or celebrating the terrorist attacks, you will face harsh moderation. Many users have already been banned and even had their ISPs blacklisted from the site, and you will join them should you not take this seriously. If you don't care about what happened or don't feel the same way as everyone else, then pick another topic to post about, or do it somewhere else.

A new board specifically for discussing the tragedy has been created, although discussion is also welcome on any Social board. Please do not create new topics discussing the matter on any non-social board; they will be deleted or moved to the appropriate board from here on out.

Edit: Fixed up spacing.

[ 09-14-2001: Message edited by: cmsnrub25 ]

Cesar
Farting Nudist
Member # 529

Member Rated:
posted 09-14-2001 04:37 PM      Profile for Cesar   Email Cesar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Some people can be real jerks.

Some Americans are always pointing the finger at people without solid proof. Now everyone is going against Muslims, they can't go outside without expecting verbal harrasment.

Am very pissed this week, not because the WTC collapsed, but because they had to cancel both Married With Children and Junkyard Wars just so I could hear the stupid story over again for the 5th and 6th time.

From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jumpman16
Farting Nudist
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
posted 09-14-2001 08:47 PM      Profile for Jumpman16   Author's Homepage   Email Jumpman16   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's a lame way to reply to this thread. You're just worried about missing repeats of a television show? What if you'd lost loved ones?
From: Where they make Heinz® ketchup | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Charmeleon411
Farting Nudist
Member # 99

Member Rated:
posted 09-14-2001 09:56 PM      Profile for Charmeleon411     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cesar:
Some people can be real jerks.

quote:

Am very pissed this week, not because the WTC collapsed, but because they had to cancel both Married With Children and Junkyard Wars just so I could hear the stupid story over again for the 5th and 6th time.

That speaks for itself.

ThumbsOfSteel
Farting Nudist
Member # 1922

Member Rated:
posted 09-14-2001 10:11 PM      Profile for ThumbsOfSteel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rumors are still flying.

We don't know for sure who did it, but it was probably Bin Laden. If not, he should be hunted down anyway for his role in past attacks.

The U.S. is cruel and despotec

Obviously the ones who did this (not to mention most of the middle east) think something like this already. Also, whoever did the post on how we get nothing in return, you are exactly right. If we stopped pouring federal dollars into countries right now, I'd like to see what the rest of the world would do. If the U.S only cared about itself and did nothing for other nations, half the world would be completely different, not saying that it's a good idea. Supposedly Bush wants to wage an all-out campaign on terrorism in general. Nuking the middle east is not the answer, but he has a good idea if the U.S is ready for it.

As for the topic, we still don't know enough, and most likely a lot of this is rumors anyway, and we don't know. I still wouldn't be surprised if this topic sprouted a second head by tomorrow.

- - - - -
"If you put that post in 00bersig, you owe every post ever made by MK a 6-foot monument made of platinum." -StarCaliber
"I'm pretty sure it says in there somewhere that Iron Tailing Mewtwos are half price." -Uiru
This message will selfdestruct in 10 seconds.

From: Nowhere on a normal map | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 09-14-2001 10:29 PM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If not, he should be hunted down anyway for his role in past attacks.

A week before the attacks the US dropped thousands of matchbooks over Afghanistan bearing Osama's likeness and mentioning a $500,000 reward (which is actually five million but was misprinted). What timing.

- - - - -
[insert sig here]

Rysto
Farting Nudist
Member # 24

Member Rated:
posted 09-14-2001 10:47 PM      Profile for Rysto   Email Rysto   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Speaking of opportunitists, PikeCharma:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28620-2001Sep14.html
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/fc/World/Religion_News/

Doesn't that make you sick?

- - - - -
So "a" can be any value?
-a guy in my Calculus class, on the nature of variables

From: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 09-14-2001 10:58 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Brayze: US money should flow into the Middle east to upgrade infrastructure, thereby not only improving the standard of living...

While, in general, I sorta agree, I think it would be much more appropriate if the rich Arab nations (Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, etc.) took more of an interest in their neighbors. Right now, these countries treat poorer neighbors the way the US treats Mexico...as a source of cheap labor, and not much else. (Well, OK we've bailed out Mexicon a few times, so it's not a perfect analogy, but you get the idea.)

- - - - -
newbalance is my favorite shoe because they combine style and comfort in an affordable package suitable for people of all ages.

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
CHaRiZaRd
Farting Nudist
Member # 994

Member Rated:
posted 09-15-2001 01:06 AM      Profile for CHaRiZaRd   Author's Homepage   Email CHaRiZaRd   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nyah... ;_;

Stop generalizing about Arabs.

PikaCharma
I scanned my boobs and then said I was leaving and never coming back. OOPS!
Member # 2026

Member Rated:
posted 09-15-2001 04:38 AM      Profile for PikaCharma   Author's Homepage   Email PikaCharma   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rysto:
Speaking of opportunitists, PikeCharma:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28620-2001Sep14.html
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/fc/World/Religion_News/

Doesn't that make you sick?

WHAT??? OMG. Yup. Those would be opportunists all right. Damn. That logic is fucked. Saying that type of shit in the name of Jesus is beyond fucked.

I'm sure the families of the victims will greatly appreciate America's religious leaders announcing a bunch of psycho murderers were doing god's work. Americans need to be united now more than ever. How disgusting that someone could use a tragedy like this as a springboard for not only furthering his own purpose, but for promoting *more* hate, *more* anger, and turning Americans against one another. Sick sick sick.

Ok everybody, you heard the men. Burn the constitution and overthrow the representative government, cuz the only possible way to prevent future terrorist attacks is to replace our current lawbooks with Leviticus. So go out, capture slaves from neighboring countries, sacrifice some animals, kill your unruly children, murder all the homosexuals you know, force rape victims to marry their rapists, and all will be right with the world.

- - - - -
Pikacharma's Bottomless Pit -- Vote 4 Mike, see a dead Togepi, and take the Pokemon Purity test!

"There's no such thing as a soul. It's just something made up to scare us kids, like the boogieman or Michael Jackson." -- Bart Simpson

New Guy
Farting Nudist
Member # 692

Member Rated:
posted 09-15-2001 11:40 AM      Profile for New Guy   Email New Guy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's just depressing. Falwell is as insane and evil as Bin Laden. Shit like this makes me think that religion of any kind is dangerous. Christianity, Islam, it all twist peoples mind.

No, that's wrong. I'm being as small-minded as Falwell. It's not religions, it's that some people are just plain evil.

[ 09-15-2001: Message edited by: New Guy ]

- - - - -
@!!**... I forgot my chain saw!-Satan

Cesar
Farting Nudist
Member # 529

Member Rated:
posted 09-15-2001 03:26 PM      Profile for Cesar   Email Cesar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
That's a lame way to reply to this thread. You're just worried about missing repeats of a television show? What if you'd lost loved ones?
I didn't. If the crash did occur locally, then I would care. But until then...

Charmeleon411: I already knew I was a jerk. Countless number of people already told me that.

From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
SDShamshel
Farting Nudist
Member # 791

Member Rated:
posted 09-15-2001 05:30 PM      Profile for SDShamshel   Email SDShamshel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's very simple why killing Osama Bin Laden in a flurry of bombings, gunshots, and cruise missiles would be a "Bad Thing."

Bin Laden dies.
Bin Laden becomes a martyr for his group's cause.
Those people fight even harder and more dangerouslly than they have before.

- - - - -
Pretty de Cure Cure
Futari wa Precure

Automaton
Farting Nudist
Member # 1234

Member Rated:
posted 09-15-2001 06:52 PM      Profile for Automaton   Author's Homepage   Email Automaton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think I speak for many liberal christians when I say that please please PLEASE don't judge us based on our reputation or those of rightists like Falwell and Robertson. I know I'm not that fucked up.
Zack_Comrade
Farting Nudist
Member # 960

Member Rated:
posted 09-15-2001 10:35 PM      Profile for Zack_Comrade   Email Zack_Comrade   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cesar should be killed for being a cold-hearted asshole.
WarTortle32
Farting Nudist
Member # 896

Member Rated:
posted 09-15-2001 11:40 PM      Profile for WarTortle32   Author's Homepage   Email WarTortle32   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cesar:
I didn't. If the crash did occur locally, then I would care. But until then...

This makes me think of a political cartoon I saw on the Web earlier today. I don't have the link, but it was published on Sept. 13, 2001, created by Ted Rall of New York City, and it's called "Worlds of Separation." I quote directly:

quote:
If you haven't heard from someone, is it reasonable to assume that they're dead?
What if you think someone you care about is dead? How much should you grieve?
If someone you know but aren't particularly close to is dead, how much should you hurt?
If it's someone you've actively disliked but you would never have wished dead, are you allowed to feel upset?
If you don't know any of the victims, how much should you care?
You are a victim.

[ 09-15-2001: Message edited by: WarTortle32 ]

- - - - -
You never met a motherfucker quite like me.

From: Central Florida, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
White Cat
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 09-16-2001 05:24 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From the article Rysto posted:

Robertson and others on the religious right gave critical backing to Bush last year when he was battling for the GOP presidential nomination.

Ooh, an excellent example of using a completely irrelevant detail to create guilt by association. Way to go, Washington Post.

- - - - -

MewtwoSama
Asshole
Member # 12

Member Rated:
posted 09-16-2001 07:15 PM      Profile for MewtwoSama   Author's Homepage   Email MewtwoSama   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by White Cat:
Huh? What is this about?

Read the entire post and find out.

- - - - -
Hade ni ikuze!

From: Abyss of Evil | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
ceoalex316
Time for the flaming leprosy party
Member # 338

posted 09-16-2001 09:53 PM      Profile for ceoalex316     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
errrr

- - - - -
Maximum Penetration Industries.

Donald
Bob the Builder
Member # 1551

Member Rated:
posted 09-16-2001 10:42 PM      Profile for Donald   Email Donald      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Anything happen today? All I heard was that if Afganisthan doesn't turn Bin Laden over to the US in 72 hours, then war's on.
Mick_Hale
Total Moron
Member # 419

Member Rated:
posted 09-16-2001 10:47 PM      Profile for Mick_Hale   Email Mick_Hale   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dubya's following in the footsteps of daddy Bush. Call a war without an enemy. As much as I would like to see retribution for what happened, exactly who will this war be taken out on? What would the formal declaration look like? Who would be battling, and where?

- - - - -
"I mean, Bush lost a PR war with fucking Saddam Hussein. How pitiful is that?" ~ Mr. K

From: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 09-17-2001 12:05 AM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
...Those people fight even harder and more dangerouslly than they have before

Wake the fuck up. Twenty or so of these people spent several *YEARS* training to be pilots so that they could kill themselves and others by CRASHING COMMERCIAL AIRLINERS INTO SKYSCRAPERS.

How much more motivated could they get, really?

"They killed Osama bin Laden! Now instead of merely devoting all my earthly years to learning how I can trade my pathetic life for the maximum amount of American blood, I'm gonna get really crazy! Watch me eat this glass! ARRMMM!!!"

Come on.

If anything, the success of this operation could easily encourage new converts to this operation.

While I'm not thrilled about a long, drawn out war in hostile territory, with our soldiers ordered not to harm "innocents" (with the hostiles and non-hostiles being discernible for half a second before the explosion), I'm willing to acknowledge that this can't go unanswered.

Heck, I'm pretty pissed about this.

It's worth noting that Osama may not have personally ordered this- he runs an umbrella organization that funds and talks to smaller organization: these smaller organizations are certainly willing to accept funding from plenty of places (Iraq, etc.).

Note, however, that before this ever happened Osama still had enough blood on his hands to justify a multinational manhunt, and has said that it is a valid goal to kill each and every American. Please don't feel immune to this just because you're some other kind of westerner: if you have a nice roof over your head, a decent education, and you wack off to Internet pr0n like the rest of us, he wants you dead.

I'm OK with killing him, I'm certainly in favor of it (I like the idea of people who would like to kill me meeting unfortunate ends), and it really won't end up being a bad idea- because we aren't really going after just him.

The "War on Terrorism" might be a little dubious, but this is no "War on Drugs" here. Will it upset them? Yes. Will we see more violence? Almost certainly. Their attacks could hit anywhere (but be reasonably small scale) with their current level of technology. What if we give them a decade to fish up some nukes? Want a nuclear van parked in NY next?

Will it end terrorism? Probably not. But a wacko who blows up a plane is one thing: An organization that systematically plans out and pays thousands of dollars to get accomplish these goals is another. That isn't a crazy or dedicated individual- that's an organization. In fact, it's the kind of crazy shit you read about in comic books and stuff.

I would also like to point out tha Bush has been impressing me, even if it takes him four sentences and three retries on the hard words to spit out one sentence worth of information sometimes. I liked him better than Gore, but that didn't say much... He's been handling this one very well.

Here's the funny part: *any* president would handle this the same way. I don't think there's much room for arguement: I hear Democrats echoing the same ideas as Republicans, because "Americans shouldn't be killed by foreigners on our own soil" is extremely nonpartisan.

I wasn't offended by his religious remarks, but then I wouldn't be (well, I would recognize a subtle attempt at conversion as being in very poor taste, because even though religion is a strong rallying point, it shouldn't be leaned on too heavily in a society with official seperation between church and state).

Now the wacko comments of those two right wingers made me see red. While the comments aren't as bad as the press implied in the headlines (they didn't say it was, say, all the fault of gays), it pissed me off enough to yell at my monitor, and I usually only do that when Windows forgets where it put its opcodes.

I'm pissed when someone claims that God is doing something to reward or punish a group because of it's actions, because:

(A) We can show scientifically that isn't the case.
(B) It implies that when something bad happens, people deserved it. This is a sick way of thinking that legitimizes the suffering of those who are lacking in any way. Those naughty, wicked Jews! God sent them the Nazis because they didn't convert... Ugh. Sick, sick, fucks that think like this.
(C) It implies that the succesful are without flaw. While this method of thinking has merit (and is prevalent in our society: it encourages effort and success), as a moral guideline it is sorely lacking.
(D) It implies not just powers of observation, but insight into the mind of God. If I were God, I wouldn't have created humans. So clearly I don't "get" what being God is about. Whether you believe in God or not, claiming to know the mind of God is arrogant and silly.

I could probably go on. I could talk about how it is just sick to try to blame gays and pro-choice citizens (and the ACLU) for any part of the horrible terrorism, but I won't.

Anyway, I had a big thing typed up yesterday, and them my computer crashed, so I'll submit before this also dies...

-cfalcon

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Automaton
Farting Nudist
Member # 1234

Member Rated:
posted 09-17-2001 12:49 PM      Profile for Automaton   Author's Homepage   Email Automaton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
cfalcon should be a politician.

Anyways, speaking as a christian, (albeit a rather middle-of-the-road to liberal christian) I can say that God isn't so narrow minded as to really allow something like this to be anyone's "fault" but the perpatrators. That whole concept is lame. If I thought for a millisecond that God was that petty, I'd willfully renounce my faith in favor of Hari-Krishna.

CHaRiZaRd
Farting Nudist
Member # 994

Member Rated:
posted 09-17-2001 06:27 PM      Profile for CHaRiZaRd   Author's Homepage   Email CHaRiZaRd   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, we're discussing the whole religion deal in World-Religion class... hah. It was on the news yesterday... I think CNN... where the Catholic priest, the Jewish rabbi, and the Muslim cleric were answering questions.

The cleric, I don't recall his name, clarified that the Islamic faith does not promote suicide for the sake of a "just" cause. In fact, he stated that if anyone gives the excuse that it was done "for religious reasons", it's total crap. Not true.

Forgive me if you all already knew that, but for those who did not, your heads are now screwed on the correct way.

Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 09-17-2001 07:08 PM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Dow dropped 684 points today. The Nasdaq fell 115.

That's all.

- - - - -
[insert sig here]

Zerot
I pay schoolgirls to verbally abuse me.
Member # 1295

Member Rated:
posted 09-17-2001 07:23 PM      Profile for Zerot   Author's Homepage   Email Zerot   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A big local company in my area (Amtrak, I think) stcks went down 45%.

Damn.

And cfalcon's post was excellent.

From: Lizton, Indiana | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Random Loser
Farting Nudist
Member # 1538

Member Rated:
posted 09-17-2001 08:11 PM      Profile for Random Loser   Email Random Loser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The worst news in the stock world is probably the 40-50% hits that all the major airlines took... Fairly predictable, but more shit on the pile nonetheless.
From: Uni of Virginny | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
White Cat
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 09-18-2001 10:11 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MewtwoSama:

Read the entire post and find out.

The suicide bombings have increased. There's too many of them.

I'm still stumped. What did Bush do in Albuquerque on August 15?

- - - - -

Jman
Farting Nudist
Member # 618

Member Rated:
posted 09-18-2001 04:33 PM      Profile for Jman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He visited the world famous Alberquerque Holiday Inn, where the towels are oh-so fluffy!

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.