next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Onix Annex   » Azure Pokemon Center   » The anime

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The anime
Lark84
My skeleton is made of creamy nougat.
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 11-14-2004 03:19 PM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What is the current state of the anime in Japan? Any signs of a final episode? How many seasons are they up to, and how many movies?

Are there any Pokémon DVD:s of the dubbed episodes, or Japanese with English subtitles?

I'm asking because I just saw Pokémon 2000 again today and remembered how awesome the Pokémon anime was, and I got an urge to find out what happens to Ash and the gang.

PikachuThunder
Farting Nudist
Member # 22

Member Rated:
posted 11-14-2004 04:44 PM      Profile for PikachuThunder        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The anime shows no sign of stopping.

In Japan, the show is in its eighth season, and there's been an eight movie announced. New Pokémon Munchlax appeared in the seventh movie, and the announcement of Pokémon Diamond and Pearl as new games means they'll have enough to base more seasons on.

Unsure of subs, but you should be able to find episodes from the last US season on DVDs at any place that sells DVDs. There's no complete season set... it's five episodes to a disc.

It's also worth noting that 4Kids has announced Pokémon Chronicles, which is a new 22 episode series that will air alongside the 8th season next year. These episodes don't involve Ash, which means they could be either new episodes or, most likely, translations of the special episodes that aired in Japan (hopefully including the G/S Character Raikou special if the latter is the case.)

Animelee
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 3720

Member Rated:
posted 11-15-2004 02:08 PM      Profile for Animelee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Feeling a bit of nostalgia, eh? [Smile]

Satoshi (Ash) has seven of the Hoenn Gym Badges, and he's on his way to Rune City (Sootopolis City). He currently has five Pokémon, but in the coming weeks, he'll have six. His Pokémon are:

Pikachu
O'osubame (Swellow), who was caught as a Subame (Taillow)
Juptor (Grovyle), who was caught as a Kimori (Treecko)
Heigani (Corphish)
Kortoise (Torkoal)

And in a few weeks, he'll have himself a Yukiwarasi (Snorunt).

Haruka (May) has three of her five required Ribbons, but next week, she'll be taking part in another Contest. Her current Pokémon are:

Wakashamo (Combusken), who evolved from her starter, Achamo (Torchic).
Agehunt (Beautifly), who evolved from a Kemuso (Wurmple).
Eneko (Skitty)
Fusigidane (Bulbasaur) -- she caught her own baby female, not Satoshi's Fusigidane.

Takeshi (Brock) really doesn't do much anymore than referee... He doesn't get enough attention. His Pokémon are:

Forrets (Forretress)
Hasubrero (Lombre)
Mizugoro (Mudkip)

His Hasubrero will be evolving to Rumpapa (Ludicolo) in the following weeks.

And Haruka's little brother, Masato (Max) is just there for the under-ten-years-old demographic. He gets more episodes centered on him than Takeshi, believe it or not.

Team Rocket's still there, too. They let go of Arbok and the almighty Matadogas (Weezing) back at the beginning of Hoenn, but they gained some new Pokémon in return.

Kojirou (James) has:

Sabonea (Cacnea)
Chirin (Chimecho)

Musashi (Jesse) has:

The also almighty Sonansu (Wobbuffet)
Dokucale (Dustox), which she caught as a Kemuso.

And Nyarth (Meowth) is still a Nyarth, heh.

Satoshi's Fusigidane, Kabigon (Snorlax), Kingler, Betobetton (Muk), Kentauros (Tauros), Bayleef, Heracross, shiny Yorunozukiu (Noctowl), Gomazo (Phanpy), Hinoarashi (Cyndaquil), and Waninoko (Totodile) are with Professor Orchid (Oak).

His Lizardon (Charizard) is training himself at a valley of other Lizardon, and he has a girlfriend named Liza, who's also a Lizardon. Satoshi's Zenigame is with the Zenigame Squad fighting fires, and his Lapras is back with her family. His Butterfree is still alive, too, even though the Japanese version said Butterfree die after mating. And Pidgeot is still at the forest Satoshi left him at, too. Okorizaru (Primeape) is still with the P1 Grand Prix guy, too.

BUT! According to the new ending theme, all his old Pokémon will be coming back! That's right -- Okorizaru, Butterfree, Pidgeot, Zenigame, Lizardon, Lapras, and all his Pokémon with Professor Orchid! Heh, it's going to be a great time when they all most likely meet at the Hoenn Pokémon League, that's for sure.

Kasumi (Misty) was called home by her selfish sisters, because they won a trip around the world, and they needed her to mind the Gym, so at the end of Johto, she had a teary goodbye with Satoshi and Takeshi. Of course, she came back for two episodes in Hoenn, and that's where her Togepi evolved into Togetic, and she let it go to mind his Kingdom of Togepi. Her Pokémon are:

Gyarados
Sunnygo (Corsola)
Koduck (Psyduck)
Nyorotono (Politoed) -- she caught it as a Nyoromo (Poliwag).
Tosakinto (Goldeen)
Ta'tsu (Horsea)
Starmie
Hitodeman (Staryu)

She had a few specials of her own, too. She's doing well for herself.

Ehh, other than that, there's so much to explain about a lot of the other secondary characters. I'd rather you watch to find out, so check your PM box. [Smile]

Also, sorry for using Japanese names. I hope I didn't seem like a snob, but for all my hobbies, I use the original names, and watch/collect the original versions. That means Japanese Pokémon games/cards/animation, widescreen/English Justice League, etc. Hope I don't seem like some kind of eltist jerk. ^^;

[ 11-15-2004, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: Animelee ]

- - - - -
It's "Animation" + "Melee". No "anime" or "Lee".

From: Brampton, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 11-15-2004 03:03 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If Butterfree comes back to whip some ass, would you kindly post a warning in the Park?
From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lark84
My skeleton is made of creamy nougat.
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 11-15-2004 03:51 PM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Animelee:

Yeah, like crazy, and I realized that it's best to get these things while they are still mainstream (and not impossible to come by). When I'm 30 and get the nostalgia itch, they'll be tough as hell to find. Or maybe I won't care about it at all - so much better then to get it now while I still do! [Wink]
Sudowoodo
Farting Nudist
Member # 1768

Member Rated:
posted 11-15-2004 05:12 PM      Profile for Sudowoodo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
His Butterfree is still alive, too, even though the Japanese version said Butterfree die after mating.

Yeah, I read somewhere a while ago that Ash's Butterfree supposedly died in one of the Japanese episodes (off-screen, while traveling with his mate, the pink Butterfree). Appearently this isn't true. So I was all sad over it for nothing.

[ 11-15-2004, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: Sudowoodo ]

- - - - -
Numfar! Do the dance of honor!

Animelee
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 3720

Member Rated:
posted 11-15-2004 11:43 PM      Profile for Animelee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. K:
If Butterfree comes back to whip some ass, would you kindly post a warning in the Park?

Sure, no problem. I'll post screenshots, too, and if possible, would I be able to share the episode torrents? I'm not sure if the rules allow it...?

quote:
Originally posted by Lark84:
quote:

Yeah, like crazy, and I realized that it's best to get these things while they are still mainstream (and not impossible to come by). When I'm 30 and get the nostalgia itch, they'll be tough as hell to find. Or maybe I won't care about it at all - so much better then to get it now while I still do! [Wink]
I felt the same way for Beast Wars last summer, too. Luckily the DVDs came out, but since there's no way in Hell 4Kids would release the DVDs with the original Japanese productions, it's a good thing you thought of doing this now. [Smile]

[ 11-15-2004, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: Animelee ]

- - - - -

Animelee
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 3720

Member Rated:
posted 11-15-2004 11:52 PM      Profile for Animelee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. K:

Sure, no problem. I'll post screenshots, too, and if possible, would I be able to share the episode torrents? I'm not sure if the rules allow it...?

quote:
Originally posted by Lark84:

I felt the same way for Beast Wars last summer, too. Luckily the DVDs came out, but since there's no way in Hell 4Kids would release the DVDs with the original Japanese productions, it's a good thing you thought of doing this now. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Sudowoodo:
[QUOTE]Yeah, I read somewhere a while ago that Ash's Butterfree supposedly died in one of the Japanese episodes (off-screen, while traveling with his mate, the pink Butterfree). Appearently this isn't true. So I was all sad over it for nothing.

Oh yeah, that was definitely a lie -- a good thing, too. [Smile]

Edit: I'm new to this style of quoting.

[ 11-15-2004, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: Animelee ]

- - - - -

Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 11-16-2004 02:45 AM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would love a Butterfree episode torrent. Because Butterfree is Bad. Fucking. Ass.
~Uiru

- - - - -
TIDUDSOFIEIHUGHEXXXC: "maybe he will let you touch his blow up do"

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

From: the floating castle of Newfoundland | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Crimzonite
Farting Nudist
Member # 307

Member Rated:
posted 11-16-2004 03:33 AM      Profile for Crimzonite     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think I know what might have created the "Butterfree is dead" rumor.

I can dress my links!

[ 11-17-2004, 03:17 AM: Message edited by: White Cat ]

White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 11-17-2004 03:26 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There was also a recent thread about it on AGNP.

Uiru: I would love a Butterfree episode torrent. Because Butterfree is Bad. Fucking. Ass.

Your wish is something that may be fulfilled if I feel like it.

- - - - -
"Anybody gone into Whole Foods lately and see what they charge for arugula?"
-- Barack Obama, campaigning in Iowa

Animelee
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 3720

Member Rated:
posted 11-17-2004 11:59 PM      Profile for Animelee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well I'll be damned. I only started watching the original version weekly since mid-Johto, so before then, I would have to stick to the English dub in order to watch the show. Seeing as I never saw the episode in its original language, I too believed the rumors of Butterfree being dead.

Phew, at least there won't be a plothole when Butterfree returns.

- - - - -

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.