The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Onix Annex   » Azure Pokemon Center   » Pokemon Coliseum How is this game?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pokemon Coliseum How is this game?
Pokewaterking
Farting Nudist
Member # 3509

Member Rated:
posted 03-25-2004 12:53 PM      Profile for Pokewaterking     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In both stadium 1 and 2 you just had battles, the option of mini games, receiving a prize pokemon etc. Is it even much of a story plot in Coliseum? Can anyone elaborate this for me? I am suppose to pick up my copy tomorrow, I want to see what others think of the added adventure and the whole game itself.

- - - - -
Kyogre deep freezes Mewtwo with Sher Cold!

Gary Oak
Farting Nudist
Member # 1028

Member Rated:
posted 03-25-2004 02:17 PM      Profile for Gary Oak     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am pretty disappointed by this game. I played the holy hell out of the other 2 Stadium games and this one has been extremely stripped down.

The animations on the Pokemon and the attacks aren't nearly as beautiful as on the N64, the battle mode is missing tons of options the other two games had like rentals, the ability to store more than one team, no gym leader castle, no more than a handful of battle modes, etc.

The sound is horrible. It sounds like they just grabbed the Pokemon calls straight from the GBA without making them fancy like in the other two games. No announcer which I loved. No remixed battle music from the GBA. This game just has no soul.

Oh yeah, and the RPG is mediocre at best. Nintendo has lost its touch...

- - - - -
"You think it is done, you think all is well. Well kiss my green ass I shall see you in hell."

AIM: GRISH81

From: Roselle, Illinois | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jman
Farting Nudist
Member # 618

Member Rated:
posted 03-25-2004 07:31 PM      Profile for Jman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No its fine tuned its cash cropping skills just fine thanks.
MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 03-25-2004 11:20 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
it's only redeeming factor is I can once again get my Meganium [Frown]
Ferquin
Farting Nudist
Member # 3269

Member Rated:
posted 03-26-2004 05:08 PM      Profile for Ferquin   Author's Homepage   Email Ferquin   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's so-so. It's a step in the right direction as far as a Gamecube RPG, albeit a short mediocre one. It's also less cutesy which is good. I liked the gritty, desolate atmosphere in the RPG. Other than that, I agree it lacked in places, like having no lab to arrage stuff. I'm assuming if we ever get Box stateside, that's what it'll be for. Personally, I think they should have bundled that in with Colosseum, but, meh, I guess you can't have it all. One cool thing is that you can earn some rare berries, held items, and TMs with the coupons you earn in Colosseum battles.

One thing I noticed is that HAL isn't a part of this. That may be the reason why the graphics and sound are a little lacking. The Stadium games were made with HAL. This one is made with some new studio, Genius Sonority. I wouldn't necessarily put all the blame on Nintendo, as much as I would really point my finger at The Pokémon Company for not developing the game with HAL. Ever since they started consolidating everything under one roof with The Pokémon Company, things have started to get sorta shitty (beginning with Ruby/Sapphire).

- - - - -
Ferquin N.C. Root
The Ferquinarium

From: Renton, WA, USA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Thom Burr
Farting Nudist
Member # 1267

Member Rated:
posted 03-26-2004 09:49 PM      Profile for Thom Burr   Email Thom Burr   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Gary Oak said it all. I'm thoroughly unimpressed. But, that said, a lot of people *will* like Colosseum. I mean, *someone* bought Pokemon Channel, right?

Personally, I liked Hey You, Pikachu! more than than I care for Colosseum, and I'm quite sure that I played the N64 cart for a whole lot longer than I'm going to fiddle with this GC disk...But then, I used to drink a whole lot more than I do now...

- - - - -
This is not a signature.

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 03-27-2004 07:58 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I saw a bit of Pokemon Channel and thought it had a lot of potential, but I got bored very quickly.

I played a friend's Hey You, Pikachu! for a while, but eventually got frustrated yelling at that little fucker to hit the goddam pinata already.

Still, though, that game was pretty good, even with the bad voice recognition and sluggish controls.

At least it's convenient that Colosseum sucks...no chance of me having to buy any new hardware again...

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 03-27-2004 08:01 PM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought you already had a Gamecube...

So far, I've gotten to the monument in Agate Village. I'm liking the RPG overall; both the idea and implementation of "Shadow Pokemon" are well done, and the plot is fairly interesting.

I haven't done anything with the Battle Mode yet. To be honest, I didn't like the endless battling of the previous Stadiums; I basically played them out of sense of duty and to get the prizes (special Pokemon/moves, Dodrio mode).

- - - - -
"Anybody gone into Whole Foods lately and see what they charge for arugula?"
-- Barack Obama, campaigning in Iowa

Donald
Bob the Builder
Member # 1551

Member Rated:
posted 03-27-2004 08:25 PM      Profile for Donald   Email Donald      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You're playing a Pokemon game for the graphics?

wtf

From: In your girl's panties | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 03-28-2004 05:46 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
White Cat: I thought you already had a Gamecube...

I do, but I don't have a GBA. I wouldn't have any interest in Colosseum if I could use my Pokemon...

...altho, come to think of it, I have that thing on my Cube that I use to play Mario & Luigi. I guess that would let me play the GBA games.

Hmph. Is there any way to use that to get to the island in Animal Crossing?

- - - - -
newbalance is my favorite shoe because they combine style and comfort in an affordable package suitable for people of all ages.

PikachuThunder
Farting Nudist
Member # 22

Member Rated:
posted 03-28-2004 07:25 AM      Profile for PikachuThunder        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. K:
White Cat: I thought you already had a Gamecube...

I do, but I don't have a GBA. I wouldn't have any interest in Colosseum if I could use my Pokemon...

...altho, come to think of it, I have that thing on my Cube that I use to play Mario & Luigi. I guess that would let me play the GBA games.

Hmph. Is there any way to use that to get to the island in Animal Crossing?

You'd need a second GameCube to do that. The GameBoy Player requires the start-up disc to tell the GameCube how to play the GBA programs, so you couldn't have a game disc in the Cube and access the Game Boy Player on the same Cube. However, you can have the game in another GameCube and link it to the Game Boy Player... at least I think you can... of course, that's probably way more expensive and less convenient.

Colosseum's Story mode allows you to snag Pokémon, however, and once you unlock their hearts and purify them of their Shadow condition, they can be your Pokémon and you can use them in Battle mode without a GBA.

Also, I disagree with the first few posts of this thread. I'm actually enjoying Colloseum (at least Story mode. Haven't touched Battle Mode). It's at least worth a rental for the story mode.

Thom Burr
Farting Nudist
Member # 1267

Member Rated:
posted 03-28-2004 10:17 PM      Profile for Thom Burr   Email Thom Burr   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Now that I've played through (more or less) to the end, I've kind of changed my mind a bit about Colosseum.

The game *is* tedious, but, really, Pokemon is not exactly designed for the power gamer in mind. Pokemon isn't a Mario title; it's not Zelda; it's not SSBM; and it's sure as hell not Ikaruga.

Pokemon is closer to Harvest Moon or Animal Crossing than any of those. If you look at Colosseum that way, I suppose it pretty fits right in.

The Orre region is much "smaller", there are fewer things to accomplish, and the plot (such as it is) seems a whole lot more linear, but once you get over the initial shock/disappointment, really, the Colosseum in-game is pretty much standard for the franchise.

The 2v2 battle system is implemented fairly well, and that's nice for a change. Hopefully F/L will continue with this, considering how 2v2 was almost ignored in the R/S in-game.

I suppose what turned me was the ending sequence, which is in fact actually better than your standard-battle-E4-kill-Lance/Drake climax. Certainly it continues Nintendo tradition of didactic gameplay, with the moral of the story being (I suppose): Trust nobody, because, yes, kids, everyone *is* trying to kill you.

And without giving anything away, it's a difficult sequence to beat. You *do* need an actual, functioning six-poke team, and there are a couple quirks that make it trickier than a generic E4 mugging. Of course, at least five members of the six-member team are blatantly obvious, but, eh...

I'd peg the basic in-game at 25 hours to beat, with probably another 5 or 10 hours of loose ends to round up after the climax. A good chunk of those hours will by necessity be spent mindlessly leveling up at Mt. Battle, but that's not really all that different from mass-murdering wild pokes in the grass just outside the exit of Victory Road...

If they'd just added a couple more towns, worked on the music a lot more, and made the plot just a little looser and richer, Nintendo and Genius Sonority could have had a classic, at least for long-time players of the game. And if they'd added a proper storage system, a few mini-games (not that I ever liked them), a few trophy pokes, and a Dodrio Tower, we'd all be jumping up and down celebrating.

As it is, Colosseum is definitely worth playing through. $50 is more than a little steep, but the Stadiums were the same price and we bought them...And I just don't see how anyone with a normal schedual could complete the game during a single rental.

Anyway, if I've been vague, it's because I'm trying to avoid spoiling too much, and anyway, you can take or leave anything here or just ignore it all.

- - - - -
This is not a signature.

Twinkle
I'm feeling fat and sassy~!
Member # 1690

Member Rated:
posted 03-28-2004 10:55 PM      Profile for Twinkle        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
IMO, it's barely worth the purchase price. There's so many inexplicably missing features (Rental Pokemon, multiple registered teams, 2 player Battle Now), a few stupidities (Mt. Battle asks you twice after each match if you want to save and quit), some gameplay gripes (incessant battling with no way to turn off the animations, easy to miss messages in battle, lousy sound effects, music, and graphics), and far too many generic RPG stereotypes (and too few Pokemon ones, like invisible items, HMs, and grassy areas). Also, is it just me or is there some generic 3D RPG overworld engine that all 3d RPGs these days use? I would have much rather spent $50 each on a proper Stadium game and a Gamecube adventure than $50 on the halfhearted attempt at each in Colosseum. The adventure is just too uncanonical -- it doesn't feel like a Pokemon game, it feels like Skies of Arcadia with Pokemon in it. (Save points? WTF?)

- - - - -
Hich loch faauto noxlattoyen.

powercat
Farting Nudist
Member # 1103

Member Rated:
posted 03-29-2004 12:56 PM      Profile for powercat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Who paid $50 for the game? I picked it up for less than $30 after several discounts at Target. I also got a free strategy guide with it. (Since I know you're going to ask about the price, let me explain. First, I bought it this week on sale for $39.99. Next, I applied a raincheck for 8% off any videogame that I had sitting around. Then, I used a $5 preorder coupon that I got from a friend. Finally, I used a friend's 10% employee discount. Granted, you may not have access to all of these deals, but you should be able to get the game for less than $50!)

[ 03-29-2004, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: powercat ]

- - - - -
http://xbox360s.freepay.com/?r=24531001

Coxy
Hulkamania has run wild over me.
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
posted 03-29-2004 11:07 PM      Profile for Coxy   Email Coxy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This thread makes me sad, because I've been waiting for a Stadium 3 for ages now, and now they've tack an RPG onto it and reduced the battling in order to pander to those "OMG 3D Pokémon plz Nintendo" fags. [Frown]

- - - - -
I love nintendolover, but only in a strictly platonic sense.

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 03-30-2004 07:49 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
PikachuThunder: You'd need a second GameCube to do that.

Oh...yeah, of course. Duh. Thanks.

Colosseum's Story mode allows you to snag Pokémon...

Can you get a Koffing?

Donald
Bob the Builder
Member # 1551

Member Rated:
posted 03-30-2004 10:33 AM      Profile for Donald   Email Donald      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Koffing's too cool to be evil (translation: no, sadly).

There is a dark Ledian, and I remember you liking Ledian back in the early days of Silver. Other than that, Team Wiggly gets no love at all.

From: In your girl's panties | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Biffster
Farting Nudist
Member # 269

Member Rated:
posted 03-30-2004 02:15 PM      Profile for Biffster     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Does coloseum have an equivilant to dodrio mode?
From: Viridian City (On the road at least) | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 03-30-2004 03:21 PM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There's also a Shadow Quagsire, which IIRC Mr. K liked as well.

Let's see... Koffing, Wigglytuff, Heracross, Dodrio, and Psyduck are all catchable in Ruby/Sapphire. Butterfree, Snorlax, and Hitmonlee aren't available until Fire/Leaf.

Oh, and Colosseum has Shadow Quilava, which (if you take the time to get a female) can be bred for a Cyndaquil.

- - - - -
"Anybody gone into Whole Foods lately and see what they charge for arugula?"
-- Barack Obama, campaigning in Iowa

MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 03-30-2004 08:12 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by White Cat:
There's also a Shadow Quagsire, which IIRC Mr. K liked as well.

Let's see... Koffing, Wigglytuff, Heracross, Dodrio, and Psyduck are all catchable in Ruby/Sapphire. Butterfree, Snorlax, and Hitmonlee aren't available until Fire/Leaf.

Oh, and Colosseum has Shadow Quilava, which (if you take the time to get a female) can be bred for a Cyndaquil.

ty for info, but still, Chikorita 0wnz all...

Secondly, where the crap is Porygon? I want Porygon! [I know, RFGL but still...]

veloS
8=D~~O:
Member # 2636

Member Rated:
posted 03-31-2004 09:27 AM      Profile for veloS     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Biffster:
Does coloseum have an equivilant to dodrio mode?

Can someone answer this question?

- - - - -
www.mightyrhapsody.com

FlameBait
Farting Nudist
Member # 235

Member Rated:
posted 03-31-2004 01:56 PM      Profile for FlameBait   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It does not. Neither does Box. =/

- - - - -
"The preceding post may have contained profanity, obscenity, racial slurs, and/or evidence of spamming. By reading this statement, you devoid the right to warn/ban the user based on the above post."

From: Nashville, TN, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Coxy
Hulkamania has run wild over me.
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
posted 03-31-2004 09:34 PM      Profile for Coxy   Email Coxy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What the fuck. There goes my hope of training up a L100 team in a reasonable amount of time. [Frown]

- - - - -
I love nintendolover, but only in a strictly platonic sense.

Bugcatcher Ed
Farting Nudist
Member # 3289

Member Rated:
posted 04-01-2004 01:19 PM      Profile for Bugcatcher Ed     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm enjoying it. It may be to my advantage that I never owned one of the Stadium games, so I have no preconceptions. The basic concept of saving the world by stealing other peoples' pokemon is pleasantly twisted. I haven't gotten too far (limited time to play). Except the espeon and umbreon, which I gather are always male, and for my female croconaw, which I had to work for, the other pokemon I hope to breed have ALL turned out to be female. Is the game cheating in my favor, or am I just lucky for a change? The pokemon cries suck, as has been noted, and are a major disappointment. Someone out there doesn't realize the importance of sound. I have, however, been enjoying the music, especially in the second town, which is as far as I've gotten, and where I'll likely be spending a fair amount of time snagging new pokemon. I actually prefer 2d to 3d graphics in games, but I like the graceful movements of my umbeon and espeon. So, I give it a "thumbs up"!
Pokewaterking
Farting Nudist
Member # 3509

Member Rated:
posted 04-01-2004 11:57 PM      Profile for Pokewaterking     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah the action of the announcer will be missed. It took you back to the cartoon gym battles or challenges. I don't understand why nintendo gamefreak hasn't made the voices for the stadium.coliseum games the same as the cartoons. Too much memory? Insteand of hearing the pokemon grunt, you could actually have something more interesting like Snorlax saying it's name in place of the grunt. I have not gotten to Pokemon Stadium yet but I do have it.

Oh I forgot the answer to this question. Bad memory sorry guys, but does the jirachi disk also remove the glitch that messes up the game after daylight savings?

How can you set the game clock an hour foward this saturday?

- - - - -
Kyogre deep freezes Mewtwo with Sher Cold!

MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 04-03-2004 07:13 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
adjust the Gamecube's internal clock and the rest shall compensate...
Crimzonite
Farting Nudist
Member # 307

Member Rated:
posted 04-03-2004 10:20 PM      Profile for Crimzonite     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pokewaterking:
I don't understand why nintendo gamefreak hasn't made the voices for the stadium.coliseum games the same as the cartoons.

Probably because they want to avoid mixing the game and anime "universes" too much. Note that the way to hear a Pokemon voice from the anime in the Stadium games is to upload the Pikachu from the Pokemon Yellow.
Ferquin
Farting Nudist
Member # 3269

Member Rated:
posted 04-05-2004 02:31 PM      Profile for Ferquin   Author's Homepage   Email Ferquin   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually, I think it's 'cause they'd have to pay more to sign up the voice actors to do the sounds, and it probably would take up more space for audio files rather than those fake-ass synth sounds they use for Pokémon.

Still, all in all lame excuses nonetheless. I want real sound. But Poké-Co. will probably continue to cut corners. I miss HAL's Stadium...

- - - - -
Ferquin N.C. Root
The Ferquinarium

From: Renton, WA, USA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 04-05-2004 05:06 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Me and 3 other friends got together a few days ago and had a big pkmn battle tournament on colosseum. It was fun, but mainly just because I 0wned everybody...

But the whole big tournament + pizza + sodas helped. I haven't tried it as a 1P game yet...

Gary Oak
Farting Nudist
Member # 1028

Member Rated:
posted 04-05-2004 11:34 PM      Profile for Gary Oak     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That sounds like a lot of fun. You all had your own GBA teams, GBAs, etc.?

- - - - -
"You think it is done, you think all is well. Well kiss my green ass I shall see you in hell."

AIM: GRISH81

From: Roselle, Illinois | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 04-06-2004 01:38 AM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Oak:
That sounds like a lot of fun. You all had your own GBA teams, GBAs, etc.?

yeah, we all had GBAs and teams. We planned the tournament like 6 months ago... we had 1 on 1 battles, 2 on 2 battles, a point system to determine the winner, all that stuff...

The first 3 rounds were single battles 1v1 using 3 Pokémon. My Slaking did not fall once. It OHKO'ed each time it attacked [Razz]

edit: except for Skarmory, forgot about that thing, but it still beat Skarmory anyway

[ 04-06-2004, 01:39 AM: Message edited by: MK ]

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.