The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Onix Annex   » Azure Pokemon Center   » Discussion: Play 202 or 386?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Discussion: Play 202 or 386?
J Man Cool
Farting Nudist
Member # 2099

Member Rated:
posted 05-23-2003 10:34 AM      Profile for J Man Cool   Email J Man Cool   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Since RSBot is coming close to completion (or at least, that's what we are told), it's obvious to wonder what kind of format should be played until one of the GCN pokemon games( Box or Colloseum) come out with the rest; should we play 202, which is, at the moment, the only Pokemon available at the time being, or play 386 and forget about what you can or can't get.

And for my two cents i think we should play 202 for the sheer fact that if we play 386, it'll go back into the same old teams, with only a few Pokemon (such as Salamance and Metagross for example) being switched in as mainstays with Blissey, Suicune, Zapdos, ect. This will now turn into a game that makes you might as well play gsc, with the same old crap.
Another reason, though not as signifigant, is because it's blant cheating to get Marowak or Snorlax at the moment and to obtain them and use them on the bots is basically saying that we can play Counter/Heal Bell Blissey and not give a damn.

Discuss.

- - - - -
bagels

Haruka
Farting Nudist
Member # 3300

Member Rated:
posted 05-23-2003 11:41 AM      Profile for Haruka   Email Haruka   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, first off they're giving away Jirachi and Deoxys prety soon right?

I mean ~ there's a large amount of ways to split Pokémon groupings.

English game pak - This would be the Suicunes they are giving away in Japan(was that real?) Jirachi, and Deoxys, and Latidew. this is 203 Pokémon..

In game ~ 200
Self-explanitory..

Hoenn 'dex
This is 202. Only bound by the fact the old ones don't show up on the Hoenn 'dex.

They left the old Pokémon out for a reason, the wanted two different metagames. Alot of the old Pokémon would make most of the new ones useless. (Does anyone wanna take take on Blocking Curselax and Calm Mind L00gie?) Working with what is in the 202 is what it's all about. They knew they couldn't change the metagame enough by just adding new moves and Pokémon this time.

Personally, if I had the choice I'd play 202 over 386. 386 might be a novelty once in a while, but for serious stuff, 202.

MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 05-23-2003 03:52 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A game without Bulbasaur is not a game at all...

386 all the way

Mr.E
Farting Nudist
Member # 696

Member Rated:
posted 05-23-2003 05:00 PM      Profile for Mr.E     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
comedy

<evilgsbot3> Fading_Fast's DUGTRIO used SUBSTITUTE!
<evilgsbot3> Fading_Fast's DUGTRIO made a SUBSTITUTE!
<evilgsbot3> JManCool's SNORLAX used SELFDESTRUCT!
<evilgsbot3> The SUBSTITUTE took damage for Fading_Fast's DUGTRIO!
<evilgsbot3> Fading_Fast's DUGTRIO's SUBSTITUTE faded!
<evilgsbot3> JManCool's SNORLAX fainted!

option

- - - - -
MickHale18: nevermind, I'll pull out for a second
MickHale18: *pulls out finger*

From: Munchkin Land, Oz | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Draco the spirit dragon
Farting Nudist
Member # 2900

Member Rated:
posted 05-23-2003 06:57 PM      Profile for Draco the spirit dragon   Email Draco the spirit dragon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
386, metagross vs snorlax should be intresting...

- - - - -
always expect the unexpected!

I've desidered since I can't get my Nidoking Gorkamorka into R/S he's be killed and reincarnated as a Metagross.

MYK
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 2568

posted 05-23-2003 09:04 PM      Profile for MYK   Author's Homepage   Email MYK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm playing 202, that's all i know.

- - - - -
Me = Dragonmaster

From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
TeLeFonE
X-treme rotary telephone
Member # 2293

Member Rated:
posted 05-24-2003 03:23 PM      Profile for TeLeFonE   Email TeLeFonE   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'd prefer 202 just because otherwise it's basically an updated GSC match with just as much stalling and bell resting as before. It would be nice to see a new playing style, for a change, with 202.

I will play how everyone else does, though. I think it will end up with everyone using every poke in existance, and there's no way I'm going to let myself be at a disadvantage in something like a tournament. Hopefully, there will at least be something like "202" tournament or something. I'm guessing there will be.

- - - - -
fuck this username is gay

Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk
Happy Good Times Fortune Happiness Happity Hocks Cat-Gonk Happifier
Member # 14

Member Rated:
posted 05-26-2003 12:01 AM      Profile for Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
NAZI MOD POWERS ACTIVATE

(also this is in the wrong forum)

- - - - -
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jetblackvalias

From: Perth, Western Australia. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 05-26-2003 03:40 AM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why are you all pushing for 202 so much? Why have hamburger when you can have steak?

- - - - -
"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion." —Norman Schwartzkopf, Gulf War chief commander

Donald
Bob the Builder
Member # 1551

Member Rated:
posted 05-26-2003 10:40 AM      Profile for Donald   Email Donald      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why are you all pushing for 202 so much?

Because we like to work with what we're given, and thus far, we have only 202.

Plus, the developers probably didn't account for the other 184 when they made the TMs - and gave the Legendary Gerbils a natural Calm Mind.

Why have hamburger when you can have steak?

Steak is overpriced and overrated. The bones make it very difficult to eat, and you get strange looks when you slop cheese on a steak, which defeats the purpose.

hamburger 4 lyfe yo

From: In your girl's panties | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
SDShamshel
Farting Nudist
Member # 791

Member Rated:
posted 05-26-2003 11:05 AM      Profile for SDShamshel   Email SDShamshel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sometimes less is more.

Sometimes having more characters is worse than having less characters.

Sometimes it isn't.

But there you go.

Here's another line.

Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 05-26-2003 11:28 AM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Plus, the developers probably didn't account for the other 184 when they made the TMs - and gave the Legendary Gerbils a natural Calm Mind.
I think you're gonna have to try that one again. While it is true that there were some oversights, I don't think they simply didn't care about almost half the Pokédex.

As for the Dogs getting Calm Mind naturally, they had to get some sort of perk... the Birds got pretty awesome new attacks.
~Uiru

- - - - -
TIDUDSOFIEIHUGHEXXXC: "maybe he will let you touch his blow up do"

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

From: the floating castle of Newfoundland | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Fluorine
SMELLY BUTT
Member # 2904

Member Rated:
posted 05-26-2003 03:06 PM      Profile for Fluorine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It seems like half people prefer 386 and the other half prefers 202. Therefore, it's obvious that you can't set anything in stone. It's not like banning Mewtwo where 95% people agree on it... so everyone will most likely be split in two, one half playing 386 and the other playing 202 (most will probably play both, though). Eventually, if there is a better metagame, it will naturally gain people.

I believe that RSBot will allow all 386, and that NetBattle will only allow 202 until a way to get all pokemon is found. My own PBS will certainly allow both if I ever finish it (which is likely since I feel really motivated).

Anyhow, there's no way to solve this dilemma before a decent simulator is out. It's not like there's any decisive argument on either side anyway - so far, the best argument is that when all pokemon will be available, the 202 metagame will fall apart, so we should at least try it. Actually, that's a pretty good argument, but it should rather be used to promote the 202 metagame, not to discredit the 386 metagame, if you see what I mean by that.

Mr.E
Farting Nudist
Member # 696

Member Rated:
posted 05-27-2003 12:22 AM      Profile for Mr.E     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As for the Dogs getting Calm Mind naturally, they had to get some sort of perk... the Birds got pretty awesome new attacks.

The Birds didn't get shit, plus lost their entire RBY TM repertoire in the process. At best, the only new things any of them got was Articuno learning Sheer Cold.

- - - - -
MickHale18: nevermind, I'll pull out for a second
MickHale18: *pulls out finger*

From: Munchkin Land, Oz | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
SDShamshel
Farting Nudist
Member # 791

Member Rated:
posted 05-27-2003 12:37 AM      Profile for SDShamshel   Email SDShamshel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Moltres got Heat Wave.

It'll be murder in 2 vs 2.

Fluorine
SMELLY BUTT
Member # 2904

Member Rated:
posted 05-27-2003 10:23 AM      Profile for Fluorine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If an attack hits both opponents, then its power is halved. Surf is only 47.5 power in 2v2. Moves that also hit your partner (quake, explosion) stay at full power though.
Turbo X
Farting Nudist
Member # 1808

posted 05-27-2003 10:43 AM      Profile for Turbo X     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When/if 386 is possible, people will go back to using the same old cruddy over-used teams used in GSC, only adding in a few OObers from RS. It's better to use new pokemon that you haven't seen before, than to rely on the same old farts that haven't changed much.

Noone complained when GSC came out and new pokemon were added. But as soon as RS came out, new ones were added and some old ones were taken away, people started throwin' a sh*t fit. Play the game the way it was meant to be played. When/if there ever will be 386, THEN you can have your way. Until then, deal with it!

Or better yet, buy a multi-million dollar corporation and design your own game for the masses. I bet people would criticize every little thing about your game as well. Then what?... tough.

- - - - -
I mean, goldfish lamp wallpaper skeleton in my Bavarian Star or what? Flowers mirror computer Smurfs every time Moses flies playing cards in or around Paris.

From: N-town, PA, U.S. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Turbo X
Farting Nudist
Member # 1808

posted 05-27-2003 10:49 AM      Profile for Turbo X     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MK:
Why are you all pushing for 202 so much? Why have hamburger when you can have steak?

Hamburger: easy to buy and make. can be made any time of the year. used for cookouts. short time to cook

Steak: costs more. eaten mostly at specific times of the year (i.e. holidays, special occasions, etc.). can be used for cookouts, but not as much. longer time to cook

202: easier for programmers to create

386: takes a little longer to program

Ending statement: You want 386?? Sit in line and wait for it to be made. Otherwise, have all the 202 you can handle. Your system can't handle it? go back to your peas and carrots (i.e. RBY and GSC)

- - - - -
I mean, goldfish lamp wallpaper skeleton in my Bavarian Star or what? Flowers mirror computer Smurfs every time Moses flies playing cards in or around Paris.

From: N-town, PA, U.S. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
JP Nogueira
Farting Nudist
Member # 962

Member Rated:
posted 05-27-2003 01:05 PM      Profile for JP Nogueira   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe 386 in RS will only be available with a new generation of games. A kind of tradeback. It is a lot easier to deal with pokés who already exists than new ones.

Besides, even a lot of people choose 202, I think there is no way to stop 386 to be the norm in bots. Of course some people will build teams with 202, but have to be ready to face 386 teams and not brag about that.

Hmm... Deoxys IMHO will be available in the next Game (like Crystal or Yellow) as the super-legendary star, besides Groudon & Kyogre.

- - - - -
----======= (o)
JP Noga
Gym Leader from Brazil

Draco the spirit dragon
Farting Nudist
Member # 2900

Member Rated:
posted 05-27-2003 03:13 PM      Profile for Draco the spirit dragon   Email Draco the spirit dragon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
by the way anyone Deoxyes stats? i mean it can really give it, but it seems to have defence of wet tissue paper

- - - - -
always expect the unexpected!

I've desidered since I can't get my Nidoking Gorkamorka into R/S he's be killed and reincarnated as a Metagross.

Fluorine
SMELLY BUTT
Member # 2904

Member Rated:
posted 05-27-2003 03:30 PM      Profile for Fluorine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The 386 metagame is -already- programmed. It's locked, but all the data is there waiting for us.

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.