The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Onix Annex   » Azure Pokemon Center   » Is there a faster PBS anywhere?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is there a faster PBS anywhere?
Blade Sabre
Farting Nudist
Member # 2858

Member Rated:
posted 08-11-2002 01:16 PM      Profile for Blade Sabre     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I mean a Shockwave or Java one or something, that refreshes in real-time.

- - - - -
runescaped@yahoo.co.uk

jshadias
Farting Nudist
Member # 2710

Member Rated:
posted 08-14-2002 01:41 AM      Profile for jshadias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Real-time == NetBattle
If what you're looking for is RBY, you'll have to get some other RBY people to come on, and use whatever moves are the same in RBY and GSC (for now).

- - - - -
What Nintendo doesn't want you to know
Uiru: "Now that we're all used to the rules, clauses and by-laws... what would happen to the metagame if every one of them were whipped away?"
GP-Chan: "id probably quit every battle, and not just every other battle."
ThumbsOfSteel: "Why, because they broke the rules?"

Blade Sabre
Farting Nudist
Member # 2858

Member Rated:
posted 08-14-2002 02:52 PM      Profile for Blade Sabre     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks.
I only know about RBY really, I could get very lost in there :P
Might check it out though.

--------

Oh.
I'm a Windows 98 user :(
With a 56k modem :(

Maybe I'll try and write one some day :P

[ 08-14-2002, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: Blade Sabre ]

- - - - -
runescaped@yahoo.co.uk

jshadias
Farting Nudist
Member # 2710

Member Rated:
posted 08-14-2002 03:53 PM      Profile for jshadias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
56K doesn't matter, except for the download. Just leave your comp on, it doesn't take THAT long. Windows 98 problems should be fixed next version, I'll let you know when it's out (shouldn't be long).

- - - - -
Uiru: "Now that we're all used to the rules, clauses and by-laws... what would happen to the metagame if every one of them were whipped away?"

Donald
Bob the Builder
Member # 1551

Member Rated:
posted 08-14-2002 09:42 PM      Profile for Donald   Email Donald      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Caution: Netbattle's n00b count is going to increase exponentially in a few weeks.
From: In your girl's panties | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
jshadias
Farting Nudist
Member # 2710

Member Rated:
posted 08-14-2002 09:51 PM      Profile for jshadias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Version .39 is out and Donald speaks the truth.

- - - - -

Blade Sabre
Farting Nudist
Member # 2858

Member Rated:
posted 08-15-2002 02:09 PM      Profile for Blade Sabre     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's worse than that actually : I've got a 56k modem which thinks it's a lot less than that, and a provider who keeps disconnecting me. Fun :P

Thanks anyway. I might download it if I get an awful lot of spare time :(

- - - - -
runescaped@yahoo.co.uk

jshadias
Farting Nudist
Member # 2710

Member Rated:
posted 08-16-2002 12:39 AM      Profile for jshadias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://www.getright.com

If your having disconnect problems, they've got a file to download the big one in the same way. And you can try and get another ISP, can't you?

- - - - -

Blade Sabre
Farting Nudist
Member # 2858

Member Rated:
posted 08-16-2002 08:22 AM      Profile for Blade Sabre     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lol.
You're persistant.
I know, I did ask, but why are you so desperate I get this thing? I'm really not wanting to face that download, even with GetRight. And if you're wanting to battle me, I'll tell you now you'd cream me. I know more about sharking than strategy.

Getting a better ISP isn't for me to do, this isn't my computer. I might be getting broadband next year, and I think I'll download it then and not now. Until then I will write crappy little C++ programs, and hack at Pokemon RBY with my GameShark. Thank you.

OK, maybe I shouldn't have expected anything smaller. Sorry if I wasted your time.

- - - - -
runescaped@yahoo.co.uk

jshadias
Farting Nudist
Member # 2710

Member Rated:
posted 08-16-2002 06:06 PM      Profile for jshadias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I sound desperate? Well, I'm not.

- - - - -

Blade Sabre
Farting Nudist
Member # 2858

Member Rated:
posted 08-17-2002 10:18 AM      Profile for Blade Sabre     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry, that wasn't very nice.

I just realised something very strange about the way I've been thinking thoughout this thread...
It was like, I wanted to dream about writing a fast PBS, and tried to find out if there was one already, so I'd know if it would be useful or not. And I really thought I wanted it to battle with. (Well, that would be nice too :D)

So then you told me about the one that's there already, and it's huge, so for a reason which I couldn't see I suddenly lost all interest in downloading those 15MB of files. You were right, the reasons I gave are not impossible to deal with, I would just need a bit more motivation. I find programming more fun than Pokemon these days, even if I'm still less bad at Pokemon :P.

- - - - -
runescaped@yahoo.co.uk

jshadias
Farting Nudist
Member # 2710

Member Rated:
posted 08-17-2002 02:56 PM      Profile for jshadias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What do you program in? And BTW, I'm downloading 71, 846 kilobytes of VB6 on a modem. 15 megs is nothing, and Kazaa rocks!

- - - - -

Blade Sabre
Farting Nudist
Member # 2858

Member Rated:
posted 08-18-2002 06:25 AM      Profile for Blade Sabre     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm learning C++.

I haven't done graphics yet, but that's next on the list. I'm already thinking about how a single-computer PBS could work. The Pokemon themselves are completely built from variables, and they all have the same variables, so one type of Pokemon object should be enough. The problem is with the attacks. Most of the attacks can be described by the same variables, but a few of them can't. I would need to work out a way of describing most of the attacks as a set, while giving certain attacks their own bit of code.

The largest thing I remember downloading was 10MB, although other people have downloaded larger stuff onto this computer. I'm thinking about going for Paint Shop (30MB), but will probably put it off forever :P

- - - - -
runescaped@yahoo.co.uk

jshadias
Farting Nudist
Member # 2710

Member Rated:
posted 08-18-2002 04:51 PM      Profile for jshadias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What do you mean by 'single computer PBS'? You can battle with yourself on NetBattle if that's what you're thinking. And if you're talking AI, that might be in there eventually... [Wink] I wouldn't advise making your own as it'd just be a waste of time.

- - - - -

Blade Sabre
Farting Nudist
Member # 2858

Member Rated:
posted 08-20-2002 04:43 PM      Profile for Blade Sabre     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is not the point.
Yes, I asked partly because I wanted to know how useless the finished product would be, but it might not affect what I do, just how I think about it. I just wrote a program I thought was actually useful, but no one wanted it :(. If I know in advance it's not going to be useful, that part won't be so disappointing :P.
(Remembering that the finished product of my projects, how ever long I spend on them, is usually no use to anyone.)
Also, there might be a demand for such a thing among lazy people with laggy connections :P

My ultimate long-term wish for my programming is to write a MMORPG.
I'm aware that a PBS where both players are at the same computer wouldn't be very useful, but it would be a useful process to work out how to do it. And in the case of a real multiplayer one, I need to get the networking to work for something relatively simple at some stage :P.

- - - - -
runescaped@yahoo.co.uk

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.