The Azure Heights Forum


Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Onix Annex   » Azure Pokemon Center   » Like cousin, like cousins?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Like cousin, like cousins?
Nanashi
Farting Nudist
Member # 2926

Member Rated:
posted 07-31-2002 03:48 AM      Profile for Nanashi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So, I've been playing Pokemon since I was eleven years, eleven months, and twenty-four days. (My birthday is 12/26, and I got my game on 12/24). I remember the old days fairly well... the game was hard, and I had unevenly raised Pokes. Now, My Pokes are all raised evenly, and it's all easy. Mind you, about three years and a half years have passed.

Recently, I battled my cousins, 9 and 7, who got their Pokmeon for Christmas this year (The nine-year-old was born on 12/25, the 7 year old on 12/28). I did win, but I noticed something.

They play like I did when I first began to play, only BETTER.

My peeks at the Pokemon I'm storying for the 9 year old (who is my protege and one of my best friends. He is my muse, my inspiration. Whenever I start to think that no one could care about a freak like me, I remember how much he looks up to me, how much he wants to be like me, and that centers me), have confirmed my previous assumption. the 9-er has all the same strategic weaknesses as I did, but not as bad. His seven year old brother is similiarly skilled, and actually seems to have a more intuitive sense for the game (though definately not the drive of his older brother). These two are going to be excellent trainers some day.

But why do they train so much like me? They aren't perceived as super-brain-over-acheivers within the family like I was at that age (the 9 year old is an amazing writer, and writing is my strong point, however)... they're younger than me... Why are they so similiar?

Opinions?

- - - - -
MEWTWO: HOW ARE YOU BROCK. ALL YOUR NURSE JOY ARE BELONG TO US. YOU HAVE NO CHANCE TO MACK MAKE YOUR TIME.

From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Porygone
The Goatse Man
Member # 805

Member Rated:
posted 08-01-2002 08:28 AM      Profile for Porygone   Email Porygone   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Did they ever watch you play, or did you share any information on your ideas when you played?

For example, one of my cousins has a similiar training strategy (similiar to mine) because we meet and discuss ideas on our games.

Many of my relatives have a style similiar to mine because they watch me play and see what I do that works (i.e., Thunder Wave on a certain Pokemon, Confuse Ray on another, both on the same Pokemon, etc.).

About two of my cousins are nothing like me. They just seem to use ramdom Pokemon with whatever attacks have the highest damage rating.

One of my cousins, on the other hand, is a LOT like me. He looks at the Pokemon he'd like to use, compares stats, advantages, weaknesses, attacks, TM/HM compatability, etc. to determine what would make a good team. Does the team have a major weakness to Rock? Maybe drop Houndoom for Tyranitar. Does the team generally have low Defense? Maybe add Steelix, because it's got high defense, the rest of its stats are decent, and it's one of my favourites. The team needs a strong Fire Pokemon, but already has a Ground weakness? Charizard could be a good addition. You get the idea.

- - - - -
YOU'RE WINNER!

From: Celadon City Gym | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nanashi
Farting Nudist
Member # 2926

Member Rated:
posted 08-02-2002 04:27 AM      Profile for Nanashi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, yes, I share ideas with the elder of the two young trainers, but my ideas now are VASTLY different than those I held when I first began to play. And his playing style is nothing like my current one.

His little brother, with whom I do NOT share ideas and advice, has a playing style more like my current one, with his putting psychic on a.. lapras... I think, even though he had an Alakazam. Those boys sure do love Alakazams, and so do I... but I think I mentioned that to the older one.

What I find interesting is that they're so much better than I was after only 7 months of play, when both are 3-5 years younger than I was when I first began. Might be my influence, or a heightened exposure to both other players and to the anime.

I can't wait to se where they are after four years, though.

- - - - -
MEWTWO: HOW ARE YOU BROCK. ALL YOUR NURSE JOY ARE BELONG TO US. YOU HAVE NO CHANCE TO MACK MAKE YOUR TIME.

From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
PKMN Master FRAZZE
Farting Nudist
Member # 2404

Member Rated:
posted 08-06-2002 05:47 AM      Profile for PKMN Master FRAZZE     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porygone:
One of my cousins, on the other hand, is a LOT like me. He looks at the Pokemon he'd like to use, compares stats, advantages, weaknesses, attacks, TM/HM compatability, etc. to determine what would make a good team. Does the team have a major weakness to Rock? Maybe drop Houndoom for Tyranitar. Does the team generally have low Defense? Maybe add Steelix, because it's got high defense, the rest of its stats are decent, and it's one of my favourites. The team needs a strong Fire Pokemon, but already has a Ground weakness? Charizard could be a good addition. You get the idea.

SHIT! That is exactly how I do it.

My little sister trains pretty much like I used to before I started reading all these meassage boards. But I've noticed that she is changing her style a bit, it's starting to look alot more like mine. She even ask's me for advice on movesets. If she was abit more into Pokémon, tehn she would make a great trainer. The mayor diference between us, is that she can be bothered training her Pokémon, I can't.

This is like alot of things, don't you try and dress like the people you look up to (or at least when you where younger)? We copy people we respect and look up to, and I don't think it's got anything to do with genes.

- - - - -
What's the use of the truth if you can't tell a lie?

From: Why the fuck do you care? | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
psykloak1
Farting Nudist
Member # 2275

Member Rated:
posted 08-07-2002 08:39 AM      Profile for psykloak1   Author's Homepage   Email psykloak1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nanashi:
But why do they train so much like me? They aren't perceived as super-brain-over-acheivers within the family like I was at that age (the 9 year old is an amazing writer, and writing is my strong point, however)... they're younger than me... Why are they so similiar?

This is what I think.
They train so much like you did because every one trains the same when they first start. when your just learning the game, you see the same things:

Ah, Psychic good.
Psychic do big damage.
Leer bad. Leer do bad. Ugg.

But as you play, you evolve a bit and see that its not all about offence.

That might explain why they train like you did. As for being better, I think it might be because theirs two of them. They can’t to share ideas with each other and come up with better things as a team. Also the fact that their is a competitive sense between them. You may have had some real life rival but he probably wasn’t around you 24/7.

- - - - -
-psyk
NeptuneCircle.com

From: Boston | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nanashi
Farting Nudist
Member # 2926

Member Rated:
posted 08-08-2002 08:09 AM      Profile for Nanashi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by psykloak1:
quote:
Originally posted by Nanashi:
But why do they train so much like me? They aren't perceived as super-brain-over-acheivers within the family like I was at that age (the 9 year old is an amazing writer, and writing is my strong point, however)... they're younger than me... Why are they so similiar?

This is what I think.
They train so much like you did because every one trains the same when they first start. when your just learning the game, you see the same things:

Ah, Psychic good.
Psychic do big damage.
Leer bad. Leer do bad. Ugg.

But as you play, you evolve a bit and see that its not all about offence.

That might explain why they train like you did. As for being better, I think it might be because theirs two of them. They can’t to share ideas with each other and come up with better things as a team. Also the fact that their is a competitive sense between them. You may have had some real life rival but he probably wasn’t around you 24/7.

I didn't have a real life rival, though. I never did. Unless you count Beano, but I'm a shitty trainer and I can still kick his ass. Back in the RBY days, I beat him 6-0... using only three of my Pokemon.

But I guess you're right, everyone probably does train that way (except the people that actually heed the part of the manual in RBY that says to raise your Pokemon equally. I read but didn't heed). And I suppose the rivalry theory does make sense. What shocks me most is that the younger boy put a TM on a Pokemon that wouldn't get STAB for it first, though. The oldest boy is very smart in other fields, and has always been more passionate about Pokemon than his brother. But that may be it too, because he may have been more brainwashed by the anime's cut-and-dried type portrayl (It took me quite a while to overcome that).

I'll have to give the older brother a long talking to about how the anime is complete and utter sh- er, about how the anime is innacurate and not true to the physics of the game.

Eh.

- - - - -
MEWTWO: HOW ARE YOU BROCK. ALL YOUR NURSE JOY ARE BELONG TO US. YOU HAVE NO CHANCE TO MACK MAKE YOUR TIME.

From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged


All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:


Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem


The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.