The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Onix Annex   » Azure Pokemon Center   » Pokemon for the 'Cube

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pokemon for the 'Cube
Jman
Farting Nudist
Member # 618

Member Rated:
posted 01-25-2002 07:37 PM      Profile for Jman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just relised how awesome the GameCube version of Pokemon could be. Assuming its just like the GameBoy games are right now, of course.

I mean, beautiful graphics, I'm thinking AMAZING lighting effects for attacks, full living worlds. It could be great.

Something I'd like to see:
You walk down the main road of some town where you see many people living their ordinary lives. 2 smaller kids, most likely new trainers, are battling their Rattatas and Pikachus(You can actually see the battle going on as you walk). An old man has his faithful Houndour following him, while a nice salesman tries to catch your attention to see the new and improved Potion item and uses a little bit on his fainted Machop...

It goes on and on. Realisticness is what I want. I want battles to be like the anime.

I mean, it could be huge. It could be Zelda-like. It could be great.

Assuming Nintendo doesn't mess it up.

THIS is their chance to prove to older people that this game isn't just for kids. THIS is their chance to make it great. THIS is their chance to make a huge statement and change skeptic's minds.

I like their chances. Just hope they don't make it a Stadium game or some shiz like that.

Discuss.

- - - - -
lol pokemon

Crazed Aipom
Farting Nudist
Member # 1575

Member Rated:
posted 01-25-2002 08:02 PM      Profile for Crazed Aipom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I was really loking foward to being able to play the same game for the seventh time now.
From: www.turntherobotoff.com | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Justin
Farting Nudist
Member # 2486

Member Rated:
posted 01-25-2002 08:27 PM      Profile for Justin     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Harvest Moon for GameCube! That's what we need! Even though I don't even give a shit about farming IRL....Harvest Moon rocks.

- - - - -
My mom told me "get a life" and I was like "stfu noob" ~AvatarST

JolteonG3
Farting Nudist
Member # 2146

Member Rated:
posted 01-25-2002 08:50 PM      Profile for JolteonG3   Author's Homepage   Email JolteonG3   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I mean, beautiful graphics, I'm thinking AMAZING lighting effects for attacks, full living worlds. It could be great.

Emphasis on could. I hate to be so pessimistic, but Nintendo really needs to integrate a plot beyond "I R WANT 2 B POGEYMONZ MASTA!!111" into the games. I'd rather have a kick ass plot before getting kick ass graphics. At least then it might have some single player replay-ability.

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: JolteonG3 ]

Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 01-25-2002 09:37 PM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't want plot. The world shouldn't revolve around some stupid ten year old pogeyman trainer. I want wide open spaces. Places to explore. Cities that have no real meaning. Things that are just cool, like Neon Town. Character interaction. Atmosphere. Immersion. Realism.

So sue me.

- - - - -
[insert sig here]

gruco
I am Ian Garvey's lovechild.
Member # 1645

Member Rated:
posted 01-25-2002 09:53 PM      Profile for gruco        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually, I find Pokemon's plot (if you can really call it that) to be one of the game's high point. Console RPGs get so boring because they're all "Go fight the ultimate evil that has been reawakened after his 109000 year slumber." Pokemon is more simple. Just doing whatever you can to be on top of your game and do all you can for your little dudes. Such a refreshing change of pace from Final Fantasies and Grandias.

As for Pokemon GCN, I really like Jman's description. Just seeing a world that is more immersive as a whole, such as watching random pople go about there battles, like he said. Or perhaps watching a Charizard swoop overhead, flying towards its natural habitat, while you're doing something entirely unrelated, like hunting down a Pineco in the woods.

Obviously I'd want to see some fundamental gameplay changes. I think 2on2 combat would be a significant yet approriate change, for example(just an idea) Also, with the ability to see Pokes on the screen, catching could become more involved(perhaps with some Snap!-derivant play...again, just an idea). Like Crazed Aipom said, it wouldn't be too exciting to play the just the same game again, but this level of graphical improvements could be amazing.

I'd really like to see something along the lines of a Pokemon MMRPG, but that'd require Nintendo to get their act together in regards to their online plans... I'd also like to see a "league" included that is basically the PKMNAdvance Stadium, but that's more likely to be sold seperately, knowing Nintendo.

I want innovation, I want immersion, I want competition. I do not want to see a Dark Force/Zeromus/Ghaleon equivilent, or an emotional quest to save the world from a dark and terrifying force. An interesting, dynamic storyline would be nice, I guess, but keep the fundamental motives happy and simple.

Jman
Farting Nudist
Member # 618

Member Rated:
posted 01-26-2002 12:21 AM      Profile for Jman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with basically everything gruco said.

I think, personally, that even with the N64's capabilities, they could've created a great game. Not some silly Stadium like game. Now were talking GameCube...

I want the game to be diversified in such a way that it keeps the principles of training, collecting, trading, and such as the first 6 GameBoy games, but have enough changes to make the game new and fresh.

If Nintendo doesn't make the game a lot more realistic, I'm not going to be satisfied. Battles need to be realistic. A Snorlax may have superior stats over a Rattata, but I'm sure Snorlax could NEVER move fast enough to evade any attack. Rattata is small and agile. Rattata should be able to dodge attacks with great ease, especially low accuracy attacks. Evade needs to be a stat, and not just a percentage.

Battles need to be fluid and diversified. 2v2 matches can break the monotony of 1v1, and perhaps provide some diversity in strategy. Like on the GSBot, 2v2 matches, switching opponents on the fly, some attacks don't work, etc.

The game has to mature from being "OMG LIEK U KAN'T GO INTO GRASS W/O POKEYMAN CAUSE ITS DANGEROUSZZ!!!" and "I GIV U RRAE POKEYMAN 2 HELP MI GO 2 MR.POKEYMAN!!!1" storylines.

It should be that you've been waiting to start your training your entire life. Pokemon training isn't just a profession, in my mind, its a lifestyle. There should be regular events and tournaments in different cities on different days depending on the date that you set your GameCube on(A lot of games use this now, I don't see why Pokemon wouldn't). IE "Annual Pewter City Little Cup!" or "Cinnibar Island's World Famous Pokemon Beauty Contest" or "Weekly PokeMart Tournament - Sponsered by Silph Co." and things of that nature. The Beauty Contest isn't for battling, more finding say a beautiful coat on a Vulpix, or hell, a shiney Pokemon would probably win. Things to keep you thinking and looking for some pokemon, not just for the battling aspect.

When you collect the badges, it should be difficult. Not only that, but peoples attitudes towards you should change. A veteran trainer isn't going to give you much respect until you earn it.

When you reach the championship things, it shouldn't be straight up Elite 4. There should be a tournament like in the Anime. You fight a random opponent out of 127(I think there were 128 total in the anime) each with different traits, characteristics, looks, etc. Maybe that stretching it, but make at least 50 different trainers.

Even with all that, the thing I look most forward to is the battles. Battles need to be reworked. Battles should be realtime, with trainers shouting commands at will and leaving the battling part up to the Pokemon. An intelligent pokemon will act on its feet in the middle of a battle, while a dumber, slower one may not. Pokemon may disobey on purpose because they thought they had a better chance at winning or whatnot by using a different attack. The arenas they fight in should make a difference as to what is going on. IE a water arena with multiple floating platforms. A water type will have a distinct advantage, but it will have a HUGE disadvantage against an Electric type(even more than usual). All the electric type has to do is shock the water. Bye bye water type.

All this rambled up is what I'm going to hope they put in. I'm not going to hide it; I'm steadily losing interest in Pokemon. A new, fresh, and innovative game could rekindle my spirit. I hope so.

By the way, that newfangled GBA-GameCube link probably will play a big role in the game. I hope its not just used for training on the GameBoy Advance or trading to another cart... It should have specific attacks that the GameBoy Advance games have or GameCube has... things like that. Got any ideas for that?

- - - - -
lol pokemon

New Guy
Farting Nudist
Member # 692

Member Rated:
posted 01-26-2002 01:20 AM      Profile for New Guy   Email New Guy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with most everything you said. One thing I particularly disagree on is the plot. I want no plot at all. I want no order of doing things. No "you have to fight this gym leader next so the dude will move from the path" type stuff. I want complete customization of my character. I want the pokemon with maxed out tameness to follow me around a la Pokemon Yellow Pikachu(how cool would it be to have Onix rumbling along at your heels?). I want what Jman said: freedom.

Gym leader battles could work like this. You register the pokemon you are going to use, and they must all be within a range of five levels. The Gym leader would then pick his or her team that is in the same level range. So basically a team of pokemon levels 5-10 could attempt Viridian Gym's leader, while a team of level 100s could get thier asses kicked by Pewter Gym's leader. I also want actual Gyms where you can work out to gain stat exp.

I really like the idea of the environment playing a part in battles, but only to a degree. Unoficial free battles take place where-ever at both trainer's agreement, and the pokemon can benefit or be at a loss from the enviornment. I would only by arenas purposely designed to benefit a type in Gym Leader battles. They are supposed to be hard and not like other battles. All other tournies and stuff would take place on a regular, Stadium 2 type battlefield, to emphasize strategy and not gimmicky stuff.

- - - - -
@!!**... I forgot my chain saw!-Satan

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 01-26-2002 02:35 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
All these are great ideas, but...has there ever been a game that complex for a home system?

It's sounds like one of those online deals, with huge worlds that can be updated and edited on the server, so they can continue development long after the initial release date.

Not that I wouldn't immediately go out and buy a Cube if anything like that came out...

I definitely agree that an RBY/GSC Game Boy game coupled with Stadium 3 will not do it for me. Hell, I never even finished Silver.

I also completely agree that the "plot" should be based on being who you want to be, and not some lame Team Rocket contrivance. If you wanna be the very best (like no one ever was), then you can make that your goal, but it would be cool if you could also be the greatest Koffing trainer in existence, or a small-time Pokemon breeder, or even a Gym Leader.

They should allow the game to be more complex, because the original target market is now a few years older.

I really have high hopes for the next game, but if it turns out to be more of the same, I probably won't even bother with it.

All these thoughts are about the next major Pokemon game, however. If they came out with something like Paper Mario, I would love that too. It should be more flexible than PM, of course, but I wouldn't mind seeing all sorts of different games made with a Pokemon theme...as long as they have more to do with Pokemon than something like Puzzle League.

Snap friggin' ruled.

[ 01-26-2002: Message edited by: Mr. K ]

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
psykloak1
Farting Nudist
Member # 2275

Member Rated:
posted 01-26-2002 08:12 AM      Profile for psykloak1   Author's Homepage   Email psykloak1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jman:
When you collect the badges, it should be difficult. Not only that, but peoples attitudes towards you should change. A veteran trainer isn't going to give you much respect until you earn it.

And if you beat him by only a few HP then he gives you the badge but says your just lucky and if you were a real trainer, you'd train more and come back to beat him again

From the trend of pokemon games so far, I'd say that the next games that will be coming out for pokemon is an RPG GBA game, a stadium game for GC, (maybe a tcg 2 game, or a GC game like snap or puzzle league) and then hopefully, a rpg GC game.

I'm betting that the GBA game will be as much as a let down as was GSC. The GC game will probably be cool, but not as good as we will hope. of course, I'm just basing that on Nintendo's trend, maybe they'll shape up by th

quote:
Originally posted by Jman:
Assuming Nintendo doesn't mess it up.

You assume to much. hehe

- - - - -
-psyk
NeptuneCircle.com

JolteonG3
Farting Nudist
Member # 2146

Member Rated:
posted 01-26-2002 01:00 PM      Profile for JolteonG3   Author's Homepage   Email JolteonG3   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Perhaps plot was a bad choice of words on my part. I don't want anything that binds you to a specific linear sequence of events. In fact Jman really summed up what I wanted to say 100 times better than I'd be able to say it. The game just needs an infusuion of maturaturity and then let people decide how they want to win the game.
10,000Lb.Snorlax
loves long time.
Member # 13

Member Rated:
posted 01-26-2002 08:16 PM      Profile for 10,000Lb.Snorlax   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
if only Gamefreak put the same amount of budgeting into their games as Square does with Final Fantasy... As much as I am not a fan of the series, the overall quality *sparklies* everyone seems to be lusting after, might have a chance of being implemented.

All I want out of the GBA pokemon game is:

1) I want the sounds that each pokemon makes (e.g. "Pii-Kaaa-CHUUU!" and "KoooKie KoooKie" and "SnooooorrrrLax") when they pop out in the battle screen, or when their individual stats are selected.

2) I want 4 *YES 4* different sprites (pictures) of each pokemon. so that everyone's Snorlax does not look the same. They could make each different style picture exclusive to a particular region in which the pokemon was caught, or pack from which it was transferred. This would be sooooo easy to do! just hire two more artists to draw pictures of each pokemon.

3) I want a more extensive battle tower, but similiar to that of Crystal.

4) I want them to experiment more with adding more mixtures of the types like make a fire/grass pokemon. Also add more Dragons and Ghosts (but no water, poisons or normals, please).

5) I want the pokemon that are worthless (like now Seaking, and now Dewgong) to be made less-worthless. Same goes for poison types in general.

5) No more Normal type moves!

6) More moves of: Rock, Dragon, Bug, Water, poison.

[/LIST]

Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 01-26-2002 11:23 PM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
All these are great ideas, but...has there ever been a game that complex for a home system?

No one asked for your logic.

- - - - -
[insert sig here]

New Guy
Farting Nudist
Member # 692

Member Rated:
posted 01-26-2002 11:48 PM      Profile for New Guy   Email New Guy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No anime Pokemon sounds. Or at least have something in the options to switch between classic and anime pokemon calls. I don't know why, but it just irritates the hell out of me when a pokeon says it's name. I want my animalistic grunts and grows by god!

Also, I too want much better quality sprites in the GBA game. Golden Sun quality would be just peachy.

More pokemon competition that isn't just fighting. Pokemon derbys, Politoad jumping contest, Water Gun distance shooting, etc. Hey, why not make Pokemon Olympics?! I know I'dplay it.

- - - - -
@!!**... I forgot my chain saw!-Satan

LanderZRPG
Got a whale of a tale to tell ya, lads!
Member # 1615

Member Rated:
posted 01-27-2002 11:59 AM      Profile for LanderZRPG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally Signed by New Guy:
After I got out of the shower, I noticed that my pubic hair was easily manageable and had unparalelled body and bounce.-Automaton on washing with Head and Shoulders.

Did I mention how scary this was?

- - - - -
From what we've learned, it seems like you'd prefer girls dressed in ant costumes or something... -Kazuki (Regarding tl;dr)

Owner of the Power Advantage DBZ RPG
(www.poweradvantage.net)

From: High Prairie, AB, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
10,000Lb.Snorlax
loves long time.
Member # 13

Member Rated:
posted 01-27-2002 06:39 PM      Profile for 10,000Lb.Snorlax   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hey, why not make Pokemon Olympics?! I know I'dplay it.

That sounds like the best Idea for a new pokemon game yet. Racing a Dodrio against a Raichu would own. You could have power lifting between Rhydons and Machamps etc. etc.

And don't forget pokemon bobsled (wren't there 6 people in some bobsled events?)

good idea

Yavarice
Farting Nudist
Member # 420

Member Rated:
posted 01-27-2002 10:22 PM      Profile for Yavarice   Author's Homepage   Email Yavarice   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. K:

Snap friggin' ruled.

Yep. It was only limited by the N64's limited capability.

And like you said, the only way to get the HUGE world of Kanto and Johto is online. But I feel they still havn't perfected that yet. I DO NOT want to hear "Hey, you wanna get your Raichu with my Onix and go camp the Mewtwo spawn?".

kelv
Farting Nudist
Member # 843

posted 01-27-2002 11:00 PM      Profile for kelv   Email kelv   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

In terms of story, probably not, but in terms of extra tack-on features... I can't wait until Street Fighter Alpha 3 for Game Boy Advance comes out.

Another nice thing to add to Pokémon is a team-attack like Beat Up, but in a different way, more like being able to command more than one Pokémon for five turns.

Two can play on one game pack support would be nice for Pokémon as well, with the one with the pack setting up the game and both teams. Perhaps make it an additional incentive to get two GBAs so that you can battle for experience and stat exp easier.

- - - - -
I am me. That is all I am.

New Guy
Farting Nudist
Member # 692

Member Rated:
posted 01-28-2002 02:06 AM      Profile for New Guy   Email New Guy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pokemon Snap 2: The Pokemon Diaries.

You get a truck with a camera mounted on it. You're goal is to film and document the daily lives of pokemon in various wild settings. You travel to all corners of the globe to get footage and information. You must track individual pokemon and pokemon groups to see how they survive. From Delbird mating habits on the tundra, to pokemon that have adapted to city life, you're goal is to become the best pokemon documentarist in the world. Prof. Oak enlightens you about each region you visit and the best tips to find pokes. Eventually, you can compile enough footage to make a full half-hour documentary, complete with narration in you're best Sir David Atenbourough(sp?) impression. "Here we have to common Pidgeot performing it's charactaristic mating dance. Notice how it uses it's plumage to entice the female. A few miles away, we also find a pride of Arcanine gathered around a fresh Stantler kill. Truly, the Safari Zone is a rich habitat due to it's status as a pokemon sanctuary." The bounus stage for high scores is an ocean documentary, where you get to go to the dark sea floor and film pokemon that have never seen the light of day.

edit: BTW, this is not sucking up to K. If I wanted to do that, I would have put in something about koffing.

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: New Guy ]

Lunair
Farting Nudist
Member # 681

Member Rated:
posted 03-02-2002 09:57 PM      Profile for Lunair     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One first note: remember that the topic is "Pokemon for the 'Cube", not Pokémon Advance. Please post at least a few PokéCube ideas, as well as anyy Advance ideas you just gotta grace us with.

Posted by me a little while ago, on a Pokémon Cube game:
I really hope that Nintendo makes a fully 3D-and-oh-so-beautiful Pokémon game. I mean, with nifty landscapes and waving daisies and burbling streams and everything. Nintendo would OWN the console market - especially if there were super-secret secrets only Pokémon Cube (Cubed?) had, like the Earthquake Gligar and the Amnesia Psyduck. And of course, an alternate game mode would be Pokésta Cube(d). Now, to clear up some stuff - I definitely think that Pokésta Cube should be some sort of Pokémon league within the 3D Pokémon game, not a separate thing.

As I said above, I think that it should be more of a world, like the anime and various things suggest (like those old 'Pokémon Power' things from NP, and even the 'expidition to the rainforest where we found Mew' that the journals in Cinnabar Mansion say). For a cool fanfic of what a world of Pokémon really could be like, go here: LISTEN TO THE WORD OF THE ICE KAMI. Imagine that in Pokécube! A trainer creating her own sort-of-Safari-Zone, except with 'Habitats'. The Mewtwo clan's home in the Unknown Dungeon (and later, in that valley). The pokémon being more than just a picture, some stats, and some moves.

I would love for Nintendo/Gamefreak/even another developer to pull something like this off - unfortunately, I can see a coupla possibilities that aren't so great:
1) It takes around, say, TEN YEARS to do it, or
2) They cop out on us and make another PokéSta.
If it's possibility one, at least we'd have it, eventually. Possibility two - that'd be my big, cool idea, except without the stuff that would make it so big and cool, i.e. take the Big-n-Beautiful 3D adventure out of the disc that'd be the adventure (instead of GB Tower) PLUS some sort of Stadium town-type-of-thing, sort of like Indigo Plateau.

That would own.

EDIT: fixed up ye olde URL, hopefully

[ 03-02-2002, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: Lunair ]

- - - - -
"Pulling together is the aim of despotism and tyranny. Free men pull in all kinds of directions." Terry Pratchett, The Truth.

From: United Union of Onions | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
HolyOmeganAngel
Farting Nudist
Member # 2565

Member Rated:
posted 03-02-2002 10:43 PM      Profile for HolyOmeganAngel   Author's Homepage   Email HolyOmeganAngel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
All of this stuff about they couldn't fit the huge world of Johto and Kanto is wrong in my opinion. The way i see it u would start in either new bark, pallet, or whatever new city their is for advanced. Then after like the fourth city, u come to a marker that says save ur game. And then after u've saved, ur pokes, ur status, and all this information u COULD place in another disc (think of final fanasty) and continue on to the next city. Now when u've gotten something that u could now use to do a specific task on another city on another disc, simply save and pop back in the disc. That way ur back at lets say Cerulean Citty from Vermillion. Now back here in vermillion u could use cut to get to the passage that leads to rock tunnel and the power plant. See we could fit every thing onto gamecube, make four disc, two for kanto and two for johto, or two for the new country. Oh and flying places would be handled as, u would use fly. Ud choose the city and then it would say save ur game, pop in the city that contains the city ur going to, and poof, there u are. And with all these disc u could fit all the info and glamor u want.

NOW my thoughts on the game. I want the freedom that everyone talks about but even more free. Say instead of wanting to be a pokemaster i choose to be a pokemon proffesor. So at the beginning of the game it ask u like do u want to follow as a master/specialist (like misty), a proffesor, a watcher, or breeder, or gym leader. Now since we have so much freedoma nd no one wants cities to be based on just gyms, maybe they could include things like poke school in each one, or poke salon. ANd if ur a professor then u go to city to city to go to school. And at these schools u are given information and task to gain information or collect data for someone. Like they tell me that we don't have complete information on the life of a pidgey, so they ask u to catch a pidgey and train with it to understand about it. And u have ur own six pokemon to help u catch and train the pidgey. In the end u take ur pidgey and battle it against the leader of the school to show what u have found, or u give information and its added to the pokedex. And maybe since u don't have battle's against trainers alot u get money based on how well u found info. And for thigns like breeders u go to salon's to groom and help pokes and learn how to treat them.
Those are just things i want in my game. Probably wont...what am i saying of course it wont happen but i can dream cant I! ...and if i can't then i can always get hi till i do dream [Smile]

- - - - -

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.