The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Onix Annex   » Azure Pokemon Center   » Maybe not so good...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Maybe not so good...
psykloak1
Farting Nudist
Member # 2275

Member Rated:
posted 11-25-2001 07:22 PM      Profile for psykloak1   Author's Homepage   Email psykloak1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ok, they're releasing a new game for GBA, and another for GCN. Lets just assume that each new game has 100 new pokemon each. That would bring the total number of pokemon to 450.

Now, what is the theme of pokemon? "Gadda catch 'em all". On my original blue version, it took me around 175 hours to beat the game, train a good team (good for a newbie) and then catch all 150 pokemon (in that order). I haven't even attempted to go for all 251 but I'm sure it'll take quite a bit longer.

So maybe having new pokemon isn't a good idea? Some one suggested this before but maybe the best way to go is drop the old ones and make a whole new set. I dunno about you guys but I wouldn't like that at all. So what is game freak and we as pokemon trainers to do?

Discuss.

Note: this post has been posted both here and on Meowth's message board to get multiple opinions

- - - - -
-psyk
NeptuneCircle.com

JolteonG3
Farting Nudist
Member # 2146

Member Rated:
posted 11-25-2001 07:57 PM      Profile for JolteonG3   Author's Homepage   Email JolteonG3   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I personally wouldn't mind if Game Freak dropped some of the already existing Pokemom and didn't replace them at all. There are way to many Pokemon either too negatively viewed (the filthy yellow rat known as Pikachu) or weak (Seaking; aren't there already enough water types?). The battling engine behind Pokemon has always struck me as the "life" behind the game. Therefore, I just catch what I need the assemble a decent team for link battling (a rare event, but that's not the point). Catching them all, well, that's been a shitty subplot that I've ignored (and consequently, my Pokedex has about 45 monsters caught).

Game freak needs to shift Pokemon's focuss from "catching them all," which gets old rather fast, to raising teams for battling other humans. If they can do that, more people will probably gain interest in Pokemon, since it isn't the same old repetitive plot.

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: JolteonG3 ]

Porygone
The Goatse Man
Member # 805

Member Rated:
posted 11-25-2001 10:58 PM      Profile for Porygone   Email Porygone   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I honestly wouldn't mind them adding more Pokemon, if they would actually make the Pokmeon USEFUL. Anyone ever try to train Qwilfish? Damn near useless. Forretress isn't too hot in stats, but Spikes makes it worth using on your team (Qwilfish is crap, simple as that). What's the point of Yanma? Why did they even create Stantler? I'm sure these Pokemon have some use, but not much since there are Pokemon who are much better suited to their these tasks. So unless they create Pokemon similiar to other Pokemon, or just give them all attacks to make themselves more unique (an attack that can only be used by a certain evolution line, with one for each evolution line) would be interesting).

Rather than just create new Pokemon, they should work on improving the current ones. Snorlax was already a good Pokemon in R/B/Y, but his new Special Def. in G/S/C made him even better. Machamp became a contender when the more balanced type system made psychics less dominating (yet drove Grass into the ground and kept Poison useless) and it recieved it's own attacks and boosted Special Defense. For example, Wobbuffet is an interesting Pokemon to use. Not powerful or deadly for the opponent, mind you, just interesting. But his stats make him worse than he needs to be. Give him boosted Speed and HP, and he could be good. Restore the critical hit ratio to Razor Leaf so that it critical hits near every time, so that Grass becomes better. Do something to the type weakness/strength charts to make Poison actually worth using. Sneasel has his own attack (Beat Up), but can't stand up well on his own. Granbull can Heal Bell, but his stats and attacks make him inferior to Miltank and Blissey.

The bottom line is that Pokemon already has the Pokemon it needs. Add a few more if ya'd like, but try to realize what already is there, and try to make them better.

Pokemon doesn't need new Pokemon, it just needs for it's Pokemon to have use. If there's a reason to use Murkrow over Houndoom and Tyranitar, to use Seaking over Suicune and Blastoise, to use Granbull over Blissey, Miltank and Tauros, then there is no need for more Pokemon!

- - - - -
YOU'RE WINNER!

From: Celadon City Gym | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
10,000Lb.Snorlax
loves long time.
Member # 13

Member Rated:
posted 11-26-2001 01:03 PM      Profile for 10,000Lb.Snorlax   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think they should grant a few more evolutions to the weak pokemon, Like Sea King, Butter Free, YanMa, Weezing, etc. Like they did with SeaDra in G/S.
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 11-26-2001 03:37 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I really think they need to do something brand new. I was quite proud when I finally got all 151 Pokemon in RBY, but I just couldn't give a damn about catching 'em all in GSC.

They need a new gimmick and a new play system. If the next game looks like a clone of RBYGSC, I probably won't even bother. I still have a Pokemon Gold, wrapped up and in the box, which I won from WB! contest. Hasn't even crossed my mind to open the thing yet, whereas when I won my Pokemon Red last time around, I tore right into it.

I wouldn't mind catching 'em all under some new system, if it's interesting and fun to play.

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
oporaca
Farting Nudist
Member # 922

Member Rated:
posted 11-26-2001 07:28 PM      Profile for oporaca     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree; battling needs to be shifted to the main focus.

They need to change the battle system to make it more interesting. There should be different arenas. The effects would be like weather conditions, changing the battle rules. For the GCN, there should also be a system for battling with more than two trainers, and in-game online tournaments. Prizes for major tournaments could include unlocking new areas of the game. For example, a tournament with anime Kanto rules could unlock an Orange league in the game. An Azurian tournament could unlock a person that can tell you your Pokemons' DVs. An NP-created tourney would put the winning trainers' teams into the Pokecenter. What I'm trying to say is that not all battles should have the same rules.

As for new Pokemon, I don't really care one way or the other, as long as there's new strategy and innovative new attacks. (And they don't skimp on the Kanto/Johto maps this time.)

psykloak1
Farting Nudist
Member # 2275

Member Rated:
posted 11-26-2001 07:47 PM      Profile for psykloak1   Author's Homepage   Email psykloak1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yea, I agree. I think new pokemon are a plus but new moves and the dtratadgies they have are more important. and the fact that silph and the kanto radio tower to name a few wern't added really pissed me off when i found out.

And oporaca's idea about diffrent battle ideas is really good too I think.

To bad we cant like get an azurian into game freak. Nintendo should take 50 random people little kids, teens, non-pokemon likers, maybe some contest winners or w/e and stick em in a room, get ideas from them and then give them all a GBA at the end of the day.

hey, I can dream cant I?

- - - - -
-psyk
NeptuneCircle.com

Jolt135
Farting Nudist
Member # 1974

Member Rated:
posted 11-27-2001 05:00 PM      Profile for Jolt135   Author's Homepage   Email Jolt135   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JolteonG3:
I personally wouldn't mind if Game Freak dropped some of the already existing Pokemom and didn't replace them at all. There are way to many Pokemon either too negatively viewed (the filthy fellow rat known as Pikachu) or weak (Seaking; aren't there already enough water types?). The battling engine behind Pokemon has always struck me as the "life" behind the game. Therefore, I just catch what I need the assemble a decent team for link battling (a rare event, but that's not the point). Catching them all, well, that's been a shitty subplot that I've ignored (and consequently, my Pokedex has about 45 monsters caught).

Game freak needs to shift Pokemon's focuss from "catching them all," which gets old rather fast, to raising teams for battling other humans. If they can do that, more people will probably gain interest in Pokemon, since it isn't the same old repetitive plot.

And for that you get a 5.

As you may know, I'm already working on just such a game. Unfortunately, the way it's currently planned to be set up, I son't think it would be legal for me to give it to anyone other than myself.

Does anyone have ideas how to alter this game such that its purpose stays the same, but Nintendo doesn't sue my ass for copyright infringement?

From: Woodbridge, VA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
psykloak1
Farting Nudist
Member # 2275

Member Rated:
posted 11-27-2001 05:04 PM      Profile for psykloak1   Author's Homepage   Email psykloak1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm a LAT at pokezero, and about a year ago, mykezero (programer) mailed Nintendo and told him what he was doing and gave them a link to the site so they could check it out and told him that he wasn't making any money and apparently Nintendo said it was OK because either they didn't care, or legally they couldn't do anything, I done know.

- - - - -
-psyk
NeptuneCircle.com

Skarmory
Farting Nudist
Member # 1850

Member Rated:
posted 11-27-2001 07:47 PM      Profile for Skarmory   Email Skarmory   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well I do have to say *takes deep breath*

That pokemon is positive and negative, yes both, with new pokemon added in every new advance in titles.

First: Positive. Its a good thing to constantly add new pokemon since it keeps the training aspects different, with new things to find and track down. Filling the pokedex is one of the harder task about the game, and at times very annoying and endless (NOTE: GSC pokedex, i have it done, but it took forever). However adding new pokemon keeps multiplayer battling, pbs and GSbot/online play (most likely GBA/GCN) interesting. In RBY i found it was hard to use pokemon that other people didn't use very much, and have a chance at doing some damage. There were standards, that everyone used on their team. (IE: STARMIE! ROT IN RBY HELL!). In GSC, I find there is more pokemon, more selection, which results into different teams. There is more variance in them, and it makes for more interesting battles, pokemon wise. I will assume, though I might not be correct, that with new pokemon added (GBA, GCN), there more variations of teams will happen.

And on the other hand...: Negative-

There are some pokemon out there, that are by far stupid, weak, pointles, and never used. These pokemon have the role of making more to fill up the pokedex, which IS a task in the game, not only battling. I think many people over look that. However from the negative view, some pokemon suck. They are pieces of crap, never to be used, never to be liked, and no one would give a rats ass if they got dropped. (IE: Seaking, as already stated. From GSC: Magcargo, who the hell needs that). But the thing is, WHY are these pokemon hated. They dont have any custom moves, and they dont have decent stats. If new pokemon are added, there are to be some horrible ones there, its unavoidable.

And to Prevent this from turning ugly...-

Perhaps if Nintendo/Game Freak took a longer time to think about the Game Length/Challenge (Pokedex/Team Building included), they might be able to make all pokemon have a use, one way or another. I would be very appreciative if new pokemon came in, but had all uses in battle. Like if a pokemon has less then decent stats, give it a custom move, or item. This would equal some things out. Of course its obvious that one or two pokemon would still stand out as the best of that time (RBY: Starmie, GSC: Snorlax), maybe this way it could be more even.

I Dont know if that even added to the discussion, but I would like to see pokemon being added, as long as they are made more equal, movesets are more thought out, and the actualy 1player game is made more challenging.

~Skarm

- - - - -
If I had a funny quote, I'd put it here.

psykloak1
Farting Nudist
Member # 2275

Member Rated:
posted 11-27-2001 08:18 PM      Profile for psykloak1   Author's Homepage   Email psykloak1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you think about it, you might think that the sucky pokemon where added for filling. Like, in RBY, their was the top 10 or so pokemon that every one used and even though almost no one used the other 140 'mon, if the game only had those 10 pokemon and nothing else, it would suck.

Same with GSC. Is GSC only had the 25 or 30 or so pokemon that are most used and no others, it wouldn't be as good.

But than if you think about it further, why do we need sucky pokemon? We don't! Why not have ALL 151 or ALL 251 or ALL 450 or what ever the hell their is pokemon be good for something. Their are pokemon that learn one moveset in their first evolution but if evolved, they learn a completely different one. why not have a purpose for every pokemon so that in turni play, their would be a great amount of diversity.

This would, however, require a huge amount of new moves. But hey, wouldn't it be all right with you if it took an extra month or two for the next pokemon game to be released, just so that we have a use for the new pokemon?

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: psykloak1 ]

- - - - -
-psyk
NeptuneCircle.com

Skarmory
Farting Nudist
Member # 1850

Member Rated:
posted 11-27-2001 08:28 PM      Profile for Skarmory   Email Skarmory   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Exactly. I dont see why they can't work on the strat aspect of the pokemon/pokemon movesets a little more, even delay the game. Of course if everything had a couple custom moves, it would kinda of eliminate shared moves, except for a couple TMs... wait what was I thinking, Nintendo make good movesets? O_o

- - - - -

psykloak1
Farting Nudist
Member # 2275

Member Rated:
posted 11-27-2001 08:30 PM      Profile for psykloak1   Author's Homepage   Email psykloak1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What we need is an azurian on the Pokemon dev team. Hey, I can dream cant I?

That whould own tho.

- - - - -
-psyk
NeptuneCircle.com

Skarmory
Farting Nudist
Member # 1850

Member Rated:
posted 11-27-2001 09:24 PM      Profile for Skarmory   Email Skarmory   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
or better yet... several Azurians....

- - - - -

EspeonNidoking
warcraft 3
Member # 2028

posted 11-28-2001 02:28 AM      Profile for EspeonNidoking   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i think that after 100 new pokemon are released for GBA title in summer 2002...

they should stop making 100 new pokemon with the next game..

i think they should just add 1 new pokemon...which will be a legendary...with the new game...

so i say pokemon should end up with a little over 350 pokemon by GCN game.

450 is too many...

- - - - -
"Yeah, my pubic hair has dollar signs trimmed in it!

$$Bling Bling$$" ~Jman

From: Summit,New Jersey, Tampa, Fl, and Rindge, NH | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
psykloak1
Farting Nudist
Member # 2275

Member Rated:
posted 11-28-2001 06:45 AM      Profile for psykloak1   Author's Homepage   Email psykloak1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
PokemonL Azure Version.

- - - - -
-psyk
NeptuneCircle.com

Coxy
Hulkamania has run wild over me.
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
posted 11-28-2001 08:19 AM      Profile for Coxy   Email Coxy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The day several Azurians get a job at Game Freak is the day the rest of the world stops buying the carts.

- - - - -
I love nintendolover, but only in a strictly platonic sense.

Skarmory
Farting Nudist
Member # 1850

Member Rated:
posted 11-28-2001 05:19 PM      Profile for Skarmory   Email Skarmory   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
lmao Azure version... what a good idea

- - - - -

Jolt135
Farting Nudist
Member # 1974

Member Rated:
posted 11-28-2001 05:25 PM      Profile for Jolt135   Author's Homepage   Email Jolt135   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Coxy:
The day several Azurians get a job at Game Freak is the day the rest of the world stops buying the carts.

And it's also the day that sales to Azurians ALONE will set a new record for most copies of a game sold, and cause Tajiri to smack Miyamoto outside the head with a wet Magikarp.

From: Woodbridge, VA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mu
Farting Nudist
Member # 28

Member Rated:
posted 11-28-2001 11:02 PM      Profile for Mu   Author's Homepage   Email Mu   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Damn it, why can't I put Jolt135's rating down anymore for continually being such a retard?

- - - - -
żµ?

From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Payback
Farting Nudist
Member # 2029

Member Rated:
posted 11-30-2001 11:40 PM      Profile for Payback     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
First, the plot needs to be fixed. Scrap the gyms and put something that is evil in. Second, make pokemon other than pidgey and rattata and other shit like that available at the beginning of the game. They could try to make it so that you need to catch a hundred or so pokemon to beat the game. Not to make it a requirement but to make the game easier to beat if you get new pokemon.
From: Annapolis, MD | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.