The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Onix Annex   » Azure Pokemon Center   » What is the worst thing that Nintendo has screwed us out of in anything?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is the worst thing that Nintendo has screwed us out of in anything?
kelv
Farting Nudist
Member # 843

posted 08-10-2001 10:20 PM      Profile for kelv   Email kelv   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
After all that has happened with Crystal, which could ONLY decrease its popularity stateside (along with the total lack of skill needed to beat the game, its horrible replay value, and sub-par movie storylines and merchandise, as well as a total lack of behind-the-scenes commentary on their DVD, etc.), I was wondering, to your opinion, what was the worst thing Nintendo screwed us out of?

My answer: the CD addon that was supposed to ship for the SNES that, because of Nintendo's argument with Sony, the makers of the CD addon, about how they released it, Sony nixed the deal and added on to the CD addon to make the Playstation. The CD addon was in high demand, and Nintendo failed to deliver, and those who wanted it are now avid Playstation fans (which can explain why N64 games are sub-par for the most part and why there isn't SFEX or any other SF-series game for N64)

- - - - -
I am me. That is all I am.

NickWhiz1
Farting Nudist
Member # 30

Member Rated:
posted 08-11-2001 05:47 PM      Profile for NickWhiz1   Author's Homepage   Email NickWhiz1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
*points to August/September 2000*

*points to San Diego, Fort Worth, Garden City (NY), and Seattle*

*runs without saying a word*

- - - - -
"Young love, with horns!"
-Toonami review of Ico (PS2)

[Rockzilla] Remember now, excuses are like asses, everybody has one and they all stink.

From: Toledo, OH, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 08-11-2001 06:15 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The one that comes to mind is the absense of a mobile adapter in America. They could've made it hook into a phone line, a computer with internet access, etc...

But, they DIDN'T, so they suck.

-MK

(when you think about this, that seems to be the lowest thing they've done don't ya think?)

EDIT: Added the below annoyances.

Here's a stinker, for those who played Earthbound for SNES can relate. Nintendo actually did start working on an N64 Earthbound title but they couldn't make it work for some reason. Maybe it was too big a game, maybe it was for the N64DD thing, anyway, they never made it, and they better make ammends with one for Gamecube.

Also, the ending of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was kinda confusing/sad/disapointing.

-MK

[ 08-11-2001: Message edited by: MK ]

oporaca
Farting Nudist
Member # 922

Member Rated:
posted 08-11-2001 06:38 PM      Profile for oporaca     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought I was the only person who remembered the 64DD/DD64/whatever... It's pretty sad that they didn't come out with that because they (apparently) couldn't come up with any games for it... And it would have made it unmistakably better than the PSX, too. (Now, I wonder if anyone other than me remembers the huge mistake they made on one of NP's January covers.)

- - - - -
I'm a closet Pokémon fan -- all evidence I like Pokémon is locked away in my closet.

Mu
Farting Nudist
Member # 28

Member Rated:
posted 08-11-2001 06:39 PM      Profile for Mu   Author's Homepage   Email Mu   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
LACK OF EARTHBOUND!!

I'd like at least one true RPG for my N64 sometime.

- - - - -
żµ?

From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 08-11-2001 06:47 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They did make Paper Mario, which has it's moments, but, I beat the game (the final badguy) in like 1-2 weeks, and now, I've maybe only played it about 3 times since.

-MK

EDIT: Don't waste your $$$ on this one, just borrow it from a friend (it has four save game slots)

[ 08-11-2001: Message edited by: MK ]

Jaybee
Farting Nudist
Member # 1781

posted 08-11-2001 08:46 PM      Profile for Jaybee   Email Jaybee   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would like to point out the apparent insignificance of Australia to those "kind" folk at nintendo. That is all.
White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 08-13-2001 06:16 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
After all that has happened with Crystal, which could ONLY decrease its popularity stateside (along with the total lack of skill needed to beat the game, its horrible replay value, and sub-par movie storylines and merchandise

How was Crystal worse than any of the other games in these aspects?

as well as a total lack of behind-the-scenes commentary on their DVD, etc.)

What DVD?

- - - - -
"Anybody gone into Whole Foods lately and see what they charge for arugula?"
-- Barack Obama, campaigning in Iowa

kelv
Farting Nudist
Member # 843

posted 08-14-2001 06:41 PM      Profile for kelv   Email kelv   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Me:After all that has happened with Crystal, which could ONLY decrease its popularity stateside (along with the total lack of skill needed to beat the game, its horrible replay value, and sub-par movie storylines and merchandise...
White Cat:How was Crystal worse than any of the other games in these aspects?

It isn't, but Crystal gets old very fast for veterans of the Pokémon games, let's just say it's no fun going for 251, and I really don't think that the MP capabilities are anywhere near the point where I want to play MP. The total lack of skill is a given for a Pokémon game (it isn't any harder...)

The merchandise is really sub-par, while the movie storylines always involve someone trying to destroy something, and Ash having to risk his life to prevent that from happening.

Me:...as well as a total lack of behind-the-scenes commentary on their DVD, etc.)
White Cat:What DVD?

I meant the movie DVDs. Pokémon 1 had sub-minimal behind-the-scenes commentary (animation process, deleted scenes, etc.), while P2K lacked them entirely, and I'm waiting for Pokémon 3.

I hope SSF2T Advance would be better than SF2 for GB...

I hope Matrix doesn't die in season 4 of Reboot...

- - - - -
I am me. That is all I am.

Random Loser
Farting Nudist
Member # 1538

Member Rated:
posted 08-14-2001 09:03 PM      Profile for Random Loser   Email Random Loser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm fairly satisfied with Big N myself.. I've got Pokemon, a library of NES games I still play, piles of SNES games that take up space, various SF2/Alpha SNES titles that get regular play, several N64 games that I've been playing for several years now without getting bored, and now my GBA games and the promise of some eye candy on Cube. All in all, they've done a pretty damn good job of wasting the better portion of my life thus far. Basically, nothing that they might have done wrong stands out as important enough to forget everything I've got from them (albeit at a price). As for Crystal, if you don't like it then don't buy it... it's not supposed to be an entirely new game.
From: Uni of Virginny | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
PikaCharma
I scanned my boobs and then said I was leaving and never coming back. OOPS!
Member # 2026

Member Rated:
posted 08-14-2001 09:45 PM      Profile for PikaCharma   Author's Homepage   Email PikaCharma   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Getting buggered out of a CD add-on totally sucks, and the lack of an easily accessible Celebi and Mew pisses me off royally, but there is one thing that rivals both of those for the *worst* thing Nintendo has screwed us stupid American kids out of. That would be the Final Fantasy games that Japan got and we didn't. I don't care much at all for the newest Final Fantasy games, but the original one for NES was a total classic, loads of fun, and one of my all time favorite games. So knowing there were sequels to that, and they never saw the light of day in America...stinks. Royally.

- - - - -
Pikacharma's Bottomless Pit -- Vote 4 Mike, see a dead Togepi, and take the Pokemon Purity test!

"There's no such thing as a soul. It's just something made up to scare us kids, like the boogieman or Michael Jackson." -- Bart Simpson

Random Loser
Farting Nudist
Member # 1538

Member Rated:
posted 08-14-2001 11:09 PM      Profile for Random Loser   Email Random Loser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And that's why Nintendo made emulators for us to use! Or.. ummm.. yeah.
PikaCharma
I scanned my boobs and then said I was leaving and never coming back. OOPS!
Member # 2026

Member Rated:
posted 08-15-2001 01:08 AM      Profile for PikaCharma   Author's Homepage   Email PikaCharma   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
::laughs:: Uh-huh. And if you know where I can find a reliable English translation on these ROMs and emulators with the official Nintendo quality seal of approval, please lemme know. ((And a patch to keep my sister from yelling at me for tying up the computer more than I already do would be useful as well ))

It's just more *fun* when it's an actual Nintendo game, played on a decent size TV, with a legitimate controller, while sitting in a nice comfy beanbag chair.

- - - - -
Pikacharma's Bottomless Pit -- Vote 4 Mike, see a dead Togepi, and take the Pokemon Purity test!

"There's no such thing as a soul. It's just something made up to scare us kids, like the boogieman or Michael Jackson." -- Bart Simpson

Random Loser
Farting Nudist
Member # 1538

Member Rated:
posted 08-15-2001 01:20 AM      Profile for Random Loser   Email Random Loser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
True.. true.. Oh well. As for bothersome siblings, I've found Duct Tape Patch v2.0 to be the most reliable, it can be found at VeriPack.com .
(Damn.. I can tell it's been too long since my latest sleep fix.. that was pretty sad.)

Mu
Farting Nudist
Member # 28

Member Rated:
posted 08-15-2001 03:18 AM      Profile for Mu   Author's Homepage   Email Mu   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PikaCharma:
::laughs:: Uh-huh. And if you know where I can find a reliable English translation on these ROMs

I found the FF I enjoyed the most (barring FF7) was a transalted FF4j that was translated by |-|@><0r$

- - - - -
żµ?

White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 08-17-2001 08:52 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
the movie storylines always involve someone trying to destroy something, and [the hero] having to risk his life to prevent that from happening.

Completely unlike every other good vs. evil movie ever made...

- - - - -
"Anybody gone into Whole Foods lately and see what they charge for arugula?"
-- Barack Obama, campaigning in Iowa

NickWhiz1
Farting Nudist
Member # 30

Member Rated:
posted 08-17-2001 12:30 PM      Profile for NickWhiz1   Author's Homepage   Email NickWhiz1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kelv:

Indeed.

- - - - -
"Young love, with horns!"
-Toonami review of Ico (PS2)

[Rockzilla] Remember now, excuses are like asses, everybody has one and they all stink.

From: Toledo, OH, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Marril
Farting Nudist
Member # 51

Member Rated:
posted 08-17-2001 02:56 PM      Profile for Marril     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kelv:

Damn straight.

- - - - -
"Why is it whenever someone mentions SOL I am always in trouble... whether it be Standards of Learning or (the other version). I'm always screwed."
—Tyais

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 08-17-2001 04:34 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought I was the only person who remembered the 64DD/DD64/whatever... It's pretty sad that they didn't come out with that because they (apparently) couldn't come up with any games for it...

For something they never came out with, it sure does look stately beneath my N64.

The reason they cancelled the US release and downplayed the Jp release was easy: they would be fragmenting an already small market and asking their already taxed third parties to make yet more hard choices. They couldn't get the necessary large games (Earthbound 64, Mario 64 sequel, etc.)done fast enough to warrant releasing the system at all... because they knew they would see very little domestic interest and only the hardcore gamers outside would pick it up.

Really it was the domestic failure of the N64 that made them want to concentrate on GCN. It's been obvious that as soon as Ocaria shipped they were pretty much making next gen stuff.

They only really released it to avoid shaming Yamauchi, who called it "The future of gaming" (in the same speech that he called people who play Square RPGs antisocial).

Nintendo, for all the great games they have given me, have been far to corporate at times. Like delaying Mario 3 for TWO years (hey, they had the only console? Who's going to compete with them) so that they could hype it with "The Wizard".

Basically whenever they lie I get really angry.

I've bitched before, but here are some standout issues:

1- Nintendo lowers the price of N64s in Japan due to pathetic sales. In the US it is selling fine, and aren't going to lower prices yet. They say:

(a)- "Market predictions showed that this was the best way to respond to the Japanese market"
(b)- "We were able to lower the price in Japan due to a reduction in cost of certain components that are not in the US version, so there won't be any price cuts here."

That's right, (b), the outright lie.

2- Fearing parental wrath in the aftermath of Columbine, Nintendo orders Rare to pull their Gameboy camera support for Perfect Dark. The Camera feature had been demonstrated numerous times, and some of the final faces are even IGN editors, their pictures taken when earlier. They explain this to the public as follows:

(a)- "Because we want to uphold our wholesome image, we have instructed Rare to not include the ability for the players to put their faces on the in game characters. Given recent tragedies, we feel it would be in poor taste at this time."

(b)- "The Gameboy Camera grabbed the image fine, but when the guys at Rare tried to put it on the in game characters it just locked the game up, everytime! To get the game out in time, they had to take out the feature."

That's right, (b), the outright lie. Since this was actually insulting to the Rare team (implying that their programming skills weren't up to the task of mapping a tiny four color image dynamically), Rare came out with the correct version a day or two later, officially catching Nintendo in their lie.

Time and time again Nintendo has lied, and that has always disgusted me... It isn't as if the well phrased truth that everyone knows could possibly be worse than having the world catch you in a giant fib.

Anyway, everyone should be thankful for the healthy competition that Nintendo is feeling right now. Nintendo likes to act like a monopoly when they can, and the current market prevents this.

- - - - -
Subject: Ninja and Opensource

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Zerot
I pay schoolgirls to verbally abuse me.
Member # 1295

Member Rated:
posted 08-17-2001 05:59 PM      Profile for Zerot   Author's Homepage   Email Zerot   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You forgot the Early Nintendo's "We ran outta chips" excuse for Zelda II, and maybe a few other games.
From: Lizton, Indiana | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 08-17-2001 07:46 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm just a little curious, what's this about Mario 3 being delayed? Was it in Japan but not the U.S. Gimmie the 411 plz, thanks.

-MK

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 08-18-2001 12:45 AM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Japan- 1988
US- 1990

You do the math.

And I assuredly didn't forget about the "chip shortage", I just didn't bring it up.

I also didn't bring up the "not quite a lie" crap that is more common than the outright lie... PR statements that are obviously cover and such. Nintendo Power was pretty much a big add, with no critical reviews, for years. They fixed it long ago, and that was a very impressive thing.

Dream Team of developers? Funny, my dream team includes someone I've heard of (maybe even played games from!) besides you guys and Rare...

Game Genie can destroy your cartridges!

Well, since you guys failed to prove it in the court battle you fought for years, maybe it isn't true at all, and the most it can do is corrupt save data?

And so on.

(By the way, the one game that really suffers is Smash Bros.: use the shark and your game data will have the "You can always play Mario in 1P mode, no one else" bit set... though why that can happen is beyond me. Don't shark Smash unless you are OK never playing 1P with anyone but Mario or blanking you data... the corruption also didn't occur the first time, so there's more variables.)

Mu
Farting Nudist
Member # 28

Member Rated:
posted 08-18-2001 06:53 PM      Profile for Mu   Author's Homepage   Email Mu   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cfalcon:
Nintendo, for all the great games they have given me, have been far to corporate at times.

A company doesn't last for over a hundred years by being friendly.
This is a fundamental fact.

- - - - -
żµ?

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 08-20-2001 02:07 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A company doesn't last for over a hundred years by being friendly.
This is a fundamental fact.

No it isn't. Don't be a dipshit.

A company lasts for over a hundred years by being consistently profitable. While this may or may not entail corporate backstabbing, underselling, and as much market manipulation as is possible, mostly it involves doing whatever it takes to make sure that you sell products that are desired, and at an appropriate price, setting yourself up for total profit.

Nothing in this implies that you should lie TO YOUR CUSTOMERS. Only if the truth would result in less absolute profits should you consider it (cigarette companies, for instance, benefitted from this).

In fact, if you are in entertainment you need to consider having the happiest public image you can manage, especially if you have to sell to parents.

This is Nintendo's reasoning of course: If most people take our lie at face value, then those people will believe that we are "on their side" instead of trying to make a profit. If we tell the truth we come across as greedy and rude, so we ignore the truth.

My claim is that no one is fooled by this announcement: anyone who cares enough to follow the Japanese price drops (the other reason in that case being to encourage people to buy now and not wait for a US price drop) or to read the press release about Perfect Dark will be insulted by the obvious lie. The one it will fool are those that don't care.

"Profit" isn't a bad word in our society: our society has a strong love of success built into most levels of it, and all but the most socailistic realize that companies must sustain themselves... they have to eat. The negative consequences really only come about if you are seen as putting profit before your customers (some even parse this as putting your short term interests before your long term ones).

Also two points:

-Nintendo survived a very long time without any customer relations at all. They certainly didn't survive by being unfriendly, unless you count bidding under everyone else on certain contracts to make playing cards and other commisioned toys.

-Yamauchi's strong ideas about the video game market, profitable in the 80's and early 90's, visibly broke upon the existence of a cheaper medium. His N64 policies did more to mess with Nintendo's short term situation than to help, as evidenced by his old speeches where he says a bunch of stuff that's laughable these days (proclaiming Square games universally boring, etc.).

It's also worth pointing out that, while Nintendo has a history of screwing with consumers, almost all employees are not profit hungry: they just want to do their job and enjoy it, like most people. The polices are set by a very few who most of the employees never even interact with.

My basic arguement is this: If you lie to your customers, they will like you less. For a company who makes millions on brand loyalty, this is of utmost importance.

- - - - -
Subject: Ninja and Opensource

Mu
Farting Nudist
Member # 28

Member Rated:
posted 08-21-2001 10:09 AM      Profile for Mu   Author's Homepage   Email Mu   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nice, Cfalcon, not only did you manage to avoid proving absolutely anything to me, you backed my own comment up with some extra info.

I never stated Nintendo went out of its way to be unfriendly, nor did I state they were constantly friendly.
I'm curious how much of a market Nintendo are losing from the percentage of people who study the Japanese pricing environment and who read press releases - Despite what you may believe, most people are far more influenced by the mass media, that being the hype machine and games magazines. Very few listen to people like fatbabies.com or even care about in depth crap like that.
I know I've never bothered to check if something would be cheaper to buy in a language I can't read, and considering that half of America (for example) can barely read English, let alone Japanese as well, cuts that entire subsection down to a handful of Cosplayers (for example.)

While you make a point of detailing all the nasty things you can do to turn a profit, and then claim it doesn't include lying to your customers - The fact is, Nintendo can get away with it because the market it is losing is far smaller than the market it is tricking.

I also don't know why you bring employees into it, since nobody ever mentioned them in a bad light and its generally understood that employees, although being the cogs in the machine, are not the machine.

Oh, and another thing, your basic argument failed from the first sentence, the first rule in debate (or any serious argument) is that to make a personal attack is to admit your argument is flawed enough to have to divert attention away from the argument and onto your opponent.
Fucktart.

- - - - -
żµ?

MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 08-24-2001 10:24 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If we don't eventually get a Zelda Game with graphics as stunning as the one shown in the Ganon Vs. Link demo for Gamecube, then I change my vote to lack of a cool graphic Zelda Game for NGC.

-MK

Jman
Farting Nudist
Member # 618

Member Rated:
posted 08-25-2001 12:32 AM      Profile for Jman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No duckhunt remake.

- - - - -
lol pokemon

Quetzalcoatl
Farting Nudist
Member # 411

Member Rated:
posted 08-25-2001 01:05 AM      Profile for Quetzalcoatl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jman:
No duckhunt remake.

Duck sprites rejoice everywhere.

- - - - -
"I never make mistakes. I thought I did once, but I was wrong."

From: WTF Capital of U.S of A | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.