The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Onix Annex   » Azure Pokemon Center   » Is it over?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is it over?
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 04-25-2001 06:32 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Last week I was at the big FAO Schwarz in Chicago, and all Pokemon merchandise was 50%. The cards, all the toys, everything. (Well, probably not the video games.)

So I asked the flunky at the counter if the trend was officially dead, and he said it was.

On the other hand, I have almost rounded out my team in fridge magnets (everyone but Snorlax now) and I got a sweet Koffing beanie for 4 bucks.

If that's what the end of the ride means, I'm happy for it...

Still, my friend's kid is about 6 and he's still full-on into it, as are all his friends, so it can't be completely dead.

Any other observations?

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
incompetent
Farting Nudist
Member # 1635

posted 04-25-2001 08:21 PM      Profile for incompetent   Author's Homepage   Email incompetent   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The media tends to overemphasize both popularity and lack thereof. I still see quite a hefty amount of kids toting merchandise and going to the movies. The fad isn't what it once was and that by default earns the label dead, but it's still going.

------------------
"Extensive testing has proven that he's the best leek-wielding ninja duck in the game, and I stand by that." -Versus Books on Farfetch'd

TeeJay
Farting Nudist
Member # 265

Member Rated:
posted 04-25-2001 09:01 PM      Profile for TeeJay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The end is near....

*Builds bomb shelter*

------------------
"the freakin OWNER of PBS..."
-UltimaMog

AIM: daBIGTom

From: Overland Park, Kansas, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 04-25-2001 09:58 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, here's something I thought of...

...about 8 months ago when I was wandering around a theme park, I think about 50% of the shirts little kids were wearing were Pokemon shirts.

I went again a few weeks ago and probably less than 10% of the shirts were Pokemon.

Those numbers are probably way off, but there was a significant difference.

I know the media loves when things go bad for someone or something, but when a toy store is trying to clear out their stock, you have to wonder.

On the other hand, a while ago I read a quote from that Nintendo dude and he said that Pikachu was going to be like Mickey Mouse. They were going to keep reinventing Pokemon and keep it live for decades.

We'll see...

Cesar
Farting Nudist
Member # 529

Member Rated:
posted 04-25-2001 09:59 PM      Profile for Cesar   Email Cesar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In October, when G/S came, I wanted to buy as fast as possible know they will sell out. I went a few days after the release to toy's-r-us. They were still there, but didn't sell as fast as I thought. Oddly enough, pokemon stadium 2 was sold out in three different places for 2 weeks O_o

I think people are getting tired of stupid storylines. R/B/Y has the same and G/S/C are the same.

I mean, come on. THINK GOD DAMN YOU!

------------------
"They should have more shows about Professor Oak. He's got a great job, writes interesting papers, makes all kinds of important discoveries, takes care of all those Pokemon and still finds time to bang Ash's mom."- Mr.K

From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Psybro
Half Psyduck. Half Slowbro. All cop.
Member # 290

Member Rated:
posted 04-26-2001 05:53 PM      Profile for Psybro   Email Psybro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bah.
Pokémon merchandise will still sell better than most other stuff for a while to come, even if it doesn't have the same priority given to it that it used to.

From: Sheffield, South Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Biffster
Farting Nudist
Member # 269

Member Rated:
posted 04-26-2001 06:54 PM      Profile for Biffster     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Never! *cries in fetal posision*

Uh... K, I gave you some bad info. Wiggly can't get Moonlight, I was thinking of Clefaggot. I'm extremely sorry for getting your hopes up.

From: Viridian City (On the road at least) | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
CrystalMeth
Farting Nudist
Member # 1485

Member Rated:
posted 04-26-2001 08:44 PM      Profile for CrystalMeth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
NOOO! The Pokémon craze can not be over! I still need to collect more toys!

Um....

*Crawls away to a corner in embarrassment* Never mind....

------------------
~ Crystal the Anime cat girl ~
"It seemed like a good idea at the time."
--Mason Verger on cutting off his face and feeding it to the dog, Hannibal

From: Hell on Earth | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
kelv
Farting Nudist
Member # 843

posted 04-26-2001 10:54 PM      Profile for kelv   Email kelv   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Again, unless the stupid folks at Nintendo churn out something new and exciting, it could be over as fast as that thing called Power Rangers.

PKA should be more like that, maybe, but I'm surprised that it still sells well in Japan, maybe they should open up "The Pokémon Centre" Stateside. It's due time, anyways.

There should also be new story angles, such as stories about how a delinquent Abra, a loser in all psychic skills compared to other Abra, comes out to beat the crap out of the other Abras, who constantly bully them.

Also, despite many of us saying it should not be done, a series of non-RPG Pokémon games should be made, each with the traditional fashion of RBY of having separate versions each a little bit different. I'd like to see a new and improved PKTCG that does this with link cable battles as well. Also, consider that since Mario made it to the arcades, Pokémon should expand to the computer, in a step further than "Pokémon Project Studio RB". This will hopefully encourage more of the above, including internet battles, new storylines, free campaign add-ons, and such, but not to the level of Dungeons and Dragons, where everything is unnecessarily complex.

Also, Nintendo should partner up with other companies to make more Pokémon spinoffs. The horribly unrealistic Pokémon Pinball RB (the ball goes through the flippers) deserves a makeover by the best solid state pinball company in the world, the critically acclaimed Japan-based company called LittleWing (makers of the huge it Golden Logres) to make "Pokémon Pinball GSC", where you might have multiplayer-pinball through the use of the Link cable (like a trainer battle, but with pinballs).

With ideas like mine and stupid idiots like Nintendo, no wonder why the Pokémon franchise is slowly going stale...

KeroKato
Farting Nudist
Member # 230

Member Rated:
posted 04-27-2001 12:19 AM      Profile for KeroKato   Author's Homepage   Email KeroKato   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Americans tend to have a shorter attention span than the Japanese who can hold on to trends for years and years.
The answer to "Is Pokemon dead" is yes and no.
Yes, it is no longer some huge thing that every punk snot-nosed kid obsesses over. However, die-hard fans are still there in a great enough number to make it big without being painfully famous. Now, people like us are free to wallow in merchandise for regular prices. *buys out butt-load of Japanese merchandise off of eBay*
I, for one, like Pokemon merchandise. I have tons of it. Gotta love dat :@
So I'm kinda happy. Kirby's Tilt-And-Tumble is coming out under its Kirby version instead of a Pokemon remake they were planning on making for a while. That's a big sign that Pokemon has lost its hold. Other "suck animes" (redubs and other cr@p on childrens TV) are replacing the stupidest children's interests. Now PokeManiacs are going to be a lot more focused; not a lot more stragglers and half-@$$ed fans.

------------------
Visit Reality's End, the Home Page of Phantasy and the R.E. League

"I know if I had a monkey, I'd name it Peanuts... or Admiral Peanuts." ~ Jimmy Bond from The Lone Gunmen

"Hos before bros." ~ Lewis, The Drew Carey Show

From: I dunno, somewhere | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 04-27-2001 01:02 PM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm taking this opportunity to buy, buy, buy ^_^ And, about the Pokémon Centre--they ARE planning on for in New York. Drats that I live on the west coast...

--Meowth346

------------------
Researcher in charge of Pokémon Forever, a compilation of about 1/1000th of my work.

Lark84
My skeleton is made of creamy nougat.
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 04-27-2001 03:52 PM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think that a more adventure-RPG-like game for Gamecube could really save this. Think Zelda OoT, with Pokémon instead.

A game where you control a pokémon, not a trainer, could be fun to the younger fans. Like "Lost Pikachu", Pikachu has lost Ash, and you must guide him home... Eh, whatever.

------------------
"I remember somebody saying that measuring machine performance in bits is like measuring your penis in flowers." -IaZeye, enlightening us on the mystery of bits.

TeeJay
Farting Nudist
Member # 265

Member Rated:
posted 04-27-2001 04:59 PM      Profile for TeeJay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. K:
Last week I was at the big FAO Schwarz in Chicago

The real question here is what was K doing in Chicago?

------------------
"the freakin OWNER of PBS..."
-UltimaMog

AIM: daBIGTom

From: Overland Park, Kansas, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jumpman16
Farting Nudist
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
posted 04-28-2001 01:41 AM      Profile for Jumpman16   Author's Homepage   Email Jumpman16   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
...yeah...that sounds fishy to me...
From: Where they make Heinz® ketchup | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 04-28-2001 07:14 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Biffster: Uh... K, I gave you some bad info. Wiggly can't get Moonlight, I was thinking of Clefaggot.

HOW COULD YOU POSSIBLY CONFUSE THE TWO, YOU CHEESE-EATING SON OF A BITCH?!?

Well, that sucks anyway.

Lark84: I think that a more adventure-RPG-like game for Gamecube could really save this.

Yeah, that's the model they have to shoot for. Mario didn't die when Donkey Kong stopped being popular...before many of you were born...

TeeJay: The real question here is what was K doing in Chicago?

Secret Koffing business. And, yes, I went to the Lincoln Park Zoo. They had mouse lemurs, which I'd never seen before. It was also free, altho the slice of pizza and Gatorade I had were 3 bucks each. Fair enough.

The other thing that sucked was that they claimed there was going to be an alpaca show, but it turns out they don't do it this time of year. I nearly kilt all the otters, in a blind rage.

Jman
Farting Nudist
Member # 618

Member Rated:
posted 04-28-2001 10:54 AM      Profile for Jman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, it will be over when people don't buy the games/toys/crap anymore. The games are some of the hottest out there. The toys and crap may be slowing down, but I honestly don't care.

Basically, as long as we still play the game, Pokémon will never die.

------------------
Uno, Dos, Zesty!!
http://www.angelfire.com/pa4/jman/home1.html

Mew's Dad
Farting Nudist
Member # 295

Member Rated:
posted 04-29-2001 04:07 PM      Profile for Mew's Dad   Author's Homepage   Email Mew's Dad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The only Pokemon thing I'm into is the game, so the cards/toys/anime mean nothing to me.

------------------
Mew:A mythical Pokemon of South America which had been thought extinct. When viewed through a microscope this Pokemon's short fine delicate hair is seen. So rare it is still said to be a mirage by many experts. A growing number of people have seen it recently. It's DNA is said to contain the genetic codes of all Pokemon, so it can use all kinds of techniques. Apparently, it only appears to those people who are pure of heart and have strong desire to see it. Mew has only been seen in captivity a few times. As a result, Mew is extremely sought after by collectors.

Bacon
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 1708

Member Rated:
posted 04-30-2001 02:31 PM      Profile for Bacon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Whatever the media wants dead, is dead. They created the hype for a product, so they can just as easily destroy it. Too bad, though, nintendo can still milk every penny out of plush toys.

------------------
Yeah, I know it's angry, but what does it want with my shoelaces? ~anonymous

From: fulton, N.Y., america | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wanderer
Farting Nudist
Member # 351

Member Rated:
posted 05-04-2001 07:50 PM      Profile for Wanderer   Email Wanderer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
*shrugs*

Heck,they had to reprint Neo:Genesis last month.

Dead? No. Freaking speculation from heck with dealers charging $15 a pack of cards over?

Heck yes. Finally.

Good riddance. The only toys and games that last are the ones that live past the first wave of faddishness-that's why we still have Barbie,and GI Joe,and the hula hoop...

-Wanderer
(Who used to work for FAO in Virginia)

------------------

From: Burke,Virginia USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.