The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Onix Annex   » Azure Pokemon Center   » Gold vs Silver

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gold vs Silver
Land und Leute
HETEROSEXUAL
Member # 1040

Member Rated:
posted 12-29-2000 07:19 PM      Profile for Land und Leute   Email Land und Leute   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I need some honest opinions about this one: Which is better? Pokemon Gold or Silver? Before you decide, let me address some differences between the games for people who may not know.

1. Pokemon unique to each version

Gold - Spinarak, Ariados, Gligar, Teddiursa, Ursaring, Mantine, Mankey, Primeape, Growlithe, and Arcanine

Silver - Phanpy, Donphan, Ledyba, Ledian, Skamory, Delibird, Meowth, Persian, Vulpix, and Ninetales

2. Game Corner Pokemon (not really that important though)

Gold - Goldenrod: Ekans
Silver - Goldenrod: Sandshrew

3. Lugia & Ho-Oh: Starting Attacks

Gold -
Lugia (Lv. 70): Recover, Hydro Pump, Rain Dance, Swift
Ho-Oh (Lv. 40): Sacred Fire, Safeguard, Gust, Recover

Silver-
Lugia (Lv. 40): Aeroblast, Safeguard, Gust, Recover
Ho-Oh (Lv. 70): Recover, Fire Blast, Sunny Day, Swift

It should also be noted what attacks they learn thereafter.

There are also some minor differences in the times when certain Pokemon appear. For example, in the Ice Path, Zubat appear all the time in Gold, while in Silver, they appear only in the morning and evening hours.

Also, I am aware of a error in Box 8 in the Silver version, but I am unsure whether or not it is present in Gold. The error is the listing of the number of Pokemon in the box. If the box were empty, it may say, for example "Box 8 92/20" or "Box 8 64/20" instead of "Box 8 0/20." Can someone check this out?

And one more thing. I have heard horrifying stories of people's save files in Silver getting deleted for no apparent reason. Can someone explain this to me? Is this common and does it happen in Gold also?

A-hem. So now, which is better? Pokemon Gold or Silver?

------------------
Hi. How are you?

Eaichu250
Farting Nudist
Member # 826

Member Rated:
posted 12-29-2000 09:13 PM      Profile for Eaichu250   Email Eaichu250   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well.
I think Silver is rather better.

------------------
"Maaan, it rocks. I love rolling it along the ground and looking at its face." - Branners

From: Perth Amboy, NJ | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Funnel Freak
James Albis' Bitch
Member # 910

Member Rated:
posted 12-29-2000 10:44 PM      Profile for Funnel Freak     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
1 and 2 don't matter to much unless your a big Delibird lover. It all really comes down to which bird you want more. An areoblasting Lugia, or a Sacred Flamein Ho-oh. I wanted The Ho-oh with Sacred Flame, so I chose Silver (lets see how sharp you are).

------------------
"hard"-Choreleon

From: WINIPEGWINNIPEGWINNIPGWINNIGEG | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Land und Leute
HETEROSEXUAL
Member # 1040

Member Rated:
posted 12-30-2000 11:31 AM      Profile for Land und Leute   Email Land und Leute   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Prof. Ink:
I wanted The Ho-oh with Sacred Flame, so I chose Silver (lets see how sharp you are).

Wait a minute, Ho-Oh with Sacred Fire is in Gold (damn, I'm sharp!!! Ha, ha, you couldn't fool me!).

------------------
Hi. How are you?

Velox
Farting Nudist
Member # 913

Member Rated:
posted 12-31-2000 05:50 PM      Profile for Velox   Author's Homepage   Email Velox   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
>>Gold - Spinarak, Ariados, Gligar, Teddiursa, Ursaring, Mantine, Mankey, Primeape, Growlithe, and Arcanine

Ariados is pretty much useless without Ledian to give it Baton Pass. Gligar has a unique and wacky type combination, but its Ground type is more of a liability than an asset (and he can't use Dig or Earthquake). Ursaring, with its 358 Attack and Normal STAB, is a terror in the right team. Mantine has awesome Special Defense, but that's its only good quality. Primeape is quick and he learns the dreaded Cross Chop, but he's damn frail. And Arcanine is one of the best, if not THE best, Fire-types there is, by right of both attacks and stats.

>>Silver - Phanpy, Donphan, Ledyba, Ledian, Skamory, Delibird, Meowth, Persian, Vulpix, and Ninetales

I think Donphan is pretty cool, but he's no substitute for a good Thick Club Marowak. Ledian is only good for giving Baton Pass to Ariados and Scizor. Skarmory is suh-WEET; he's the ideal Swagger platform, and he's got a fine type combo. Delibird is a thoroughly unusable piece of crap. Persian is a pain largely because of his Speed and versatility. Ninetales has gone from being one of the best Fire-types to being one of the worst (and it isn't even that bad; it's just that there are SO MANY better ones now).

I mainly prefer Silver because its Pokémon images are generally better than Gold's. Take Sandslash for example. In Gold he's like "Daaaaahhh...which way am me going?", but in Silver, he's more like, "Any closer, and your ass is MEAT, bitch!" ^^

Even Gligar and Mantine, both Gold-exclusive, look a lot cooler in Silver...

------------------
[Sig deleted due to absurd length.]

From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lark84
My skeleton is made of creamy nougat.
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 01-01-2001 12:44 PM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What the...?!

Lugia & Ho-ooh has different starting moves?!

Do they learn different moves as they evolve too, depending on which version they are trained in?

Does this affect other Pokémon too, like Oddish?

And...
Can anyone point me to a "Gold & Silver Newbie FAQ" where I can get answers to stuff like this, so I don't have to post asking about stuff everyone else knows?

------------------
"Um, that was, um, weird." _LugiaStorm_ on PBS after defeating me

"The amazing swift dancing Beedrill!"

Funnel Freak
James Albis' Bitch
Member # 910

Member Rated:
posted 01-01-2001 01:28 PM      Profile for Funnel Freak     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lark84:
What the...?!
Read the topic...

Lugia & Ho-ooh has different starting moves?!
Depending on what version you have

Do they learn different moves as they evolve too
No, they don't evolve at all.
depending on which version they are trained in?
If they could evolve, maybe.

Does this affect other Pokémon too, like Oddish?
When the hell did oddish come into this?

And...
Can anyone point me to a "Gold & Silver Newbie FAQ" where I can get answers to stuff like this, so I don't have to post asking about stuff everyone else knows?

your a newbie? I could of guessed. Ok, go here and have fun www.pokemasters.com

you might find a FAQ there.

[/B]

------------------
"hard"-Choreleon

From: WINIPEGWINNIPEGWINNIPGWINNIGEG | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lark84
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 01-01-2001 02:01 PM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wrote "evolve"? Sorry, I meant "grow", like in "gaining EXP". That way, you can easily see how this is affecting Oddish too. If Lugia learns different moves in G than in S, then maybe the case is the same with Oddish.

------------------

Land und Leute
HETEROSEXUAL
Member # 1040

Member Rated:
posted 01-01-2001 04:23 PM      Profile for Land und Leute   Email Land und Leute   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ATTN Lark:

Pokemon in the Gold version learn exactly the same moves as that same Pokemon in the Silver version. The thing with Lugia and Ho-Oh is that you catch them at different levels, so the moves they start out knowing are different. Here's a look at them:

Lugia:
- Aeroblast
- Safeguard
- Gust
- Recover
44 Hydro Pump
55 Rain Dance
66 Swift
77 Whirlwind
88 Ancient Power
99 Future Sight

Ho-Oh:
- Sacred Fire
- Safeguard
- Gust
- Recover
44 Fireblast
55 Sunny Day
66 Swift
77 Whirlwind
88 Ancient Power
99 Future Sight

ATTN Everybody:

Thanks for giving some good replies, but I'd still like some people to address the thing about the "Box 8 Glitch" and the fact that save files on the Silver version get deleted a lot. (See my first post for what I know about all this.)

------------------
Hi. How are you?

Lark84
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 01-02-2001 06:35 AM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your help.

To go back to the original subject:

If Silver erases itself more often, then that's a BIG disadvantage. But it depends. If it is "sharking sensitive" and erases itself often when sharked, then that's not so bad, 'cuz I never shark. But if it erases itself for nothing, then...

The box thing doesn't mean that much tho'. Unless it *erases* your stored Pokémon, it's nothing to worry about.

(I have to buy Silver, becuase my brother already has Gold. Of course I'll get the worst version! ^-^)

------------------

White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 01-02-2001 11:34 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Box 8 glitch is in the Gold version too.

------------------
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
-- Red Green

abz1986
Farting Nudist
Member # 150

Member Rated:
posted 01-02-2001 10:24 PM      Profile for abz1986   Author's Homepage   Email abz1986   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Really the pokemon don't matter, unless you got no friends with this game (I mean friends you can see and touch)... well they don't necessarily have to be friends. The main reason you would want one version is because of 2 moves. Sacred Fire and Aero Blast

Sacred Fire: Fire /5 pp /99.6% accuracy/ 100 Power -Thaws out your pokemon if frozen.(uh, this is true... right?)

Sacred Fire can only be gotten by the Ho-oh in Gold, since the Ho-oh in Silver is level 70 and forgot this move. Sacred Fire is better than fire blast in my opinion... since its more accurate, but really it doesn't matter... fireblast'll do the job also.

Aero Blast: Flying /5 PP /99.6%? Accuracy /100 Power - Has a high(25%) chance of Critical Hit

Aero Blast's a good flying move... only the Silver Version Lugia comes with it, and very unique(theres no other flying move that can match up to it folks). Personally if I had a choice between Sacred Fire and Aero Blast, I'd choose Aero Blast, since Sacred Fire is kinda like Fire Blast.

I got Gold Version BTW, because I have the Silver Japanese Version

------------------
"lifes a b****" - Teejay

From: Overland Park, KS, USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Land und Leute
HETEROSEXUAL
Member # 1040

Member Rated:
posted 01-05-2001 09:26 PM      Profile for Land und Leute   Email Land und Leute   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
If Silver erases itself more often, then that's a BIG disadvantage. But it depends. If it is "sharking sensitive" and erases itself often when sharked, then that's not so bad, 'cuz I never shark. But if it erases itself for nothing, then...

Has yours (or anyone's for that matter) ever repeatedly been erased for no reason? I don't 'Shark because of reasons like that.

quote:
The box thing doesn't mean that much tho'. Unless it *erases* your stored Pokémon, it's nothing to worry about.

Oh gawd, it erases your stored Pokemon!?!?!

------------------
Hi. How are you?

Divine Wind
Farting Nudist
Member # 1051

Rate Member
posted 01-06-2001 12:21 AM      Profile for Divine Wind   Author's Homepage   Email Divine Wind   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sacred Fire also has a 49.6% chance of burning, almost 50%. It also thaws out your pokemon if it is frozen (so does flame wheel). AeroBlast has 100 Power, and Critical Hits often. They're both extremely good in their own ways, but I don't use the birds so it isn't a big deal to me.

------------------

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.