The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Onix Annex   » Azure Pokemon Center   » Is Stadium worth the money?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is Stadium worth the money?
Lark84
My skeleton is made of creamy nougat.
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 12-10-2000 04:36 AM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was thinking about getting Pokémon Stadium, so I could have a SurfingPikachu and Amnesia Psyduck on my team (or at least have them).
But it's pretty expensive, so I'd like to ask a few questions first.

I like to battle, but my brother does not. Is Stadium fun even if you mostly battle the CPU?

Exactly how does the "play your pokémon gameboy game on you TV"-thng work? Is it true that I can play the gameboy game on my N64, and does it look like on the Gameboy, or are the graphics enhanced (like 3D-pokémon etc.)

You can't transfer rental pokémon to you game boy, right? But what if I transferred, say, an Oddish from my Red, then had it gain a few levels on Stadium, can I transfer it back to Red?

I hope you can help me. I know that this isn't 100% on topic here, but since this forum is about RBY battling, I thought this would be the best place to ask.

------------------
"Why doesn't the magnet pick up this floppy disk?"

D-Teclis
Farting Nudist
Member # 974

Member Rated:
posted 12-10-2000 05:14 AM      Profile for D-Teclis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lark84:
I was thinking about getting Pokémon Stadium, so I could have a SurfingPikachu and Amnesia Psyduck on my team (or at least have them).
But it's pretty expensive, so I'd like to ask a few questions first.

I like to battle, but my brother does not. Is Stadium fun even if you mostly battle the CPU?

Well,stadium is fun,but it's not like battling a friend...(but the cpu doesn't call you "cheater" after a battle )

Exactly how does the "play your pokémon gameboy game on you TV"-thng work? Is it true that I can play the gameboy game on my N64, and does it look like on the Gameboy, or are the graphics enhanced (like 3D-pokémon etc.)

It works like an emulator,or a super-gameboy if you prefer.The only enhancement you will have is changing the speed of the game.No graphical change.

You can't transfer rental pokémon to you game boy, right? But what if I transferred, say, an Oddish from my Red, then had it gain a few levels on Stadium, can I transfer it back to Red?

Rental poke can't be transfered.Your pokemon can't gain level in stadium match.

I hope you can help me. I know that this isn't 100% on topic here, but since this forum is about RBY battling, I thought this would be the best place to ask.

[/B]

------------------
"I know where north is!","uh?where?","opposite to south"

Nirvana
Farting Nudist
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
posted 12-10-2000 07:26 AM      Profile for Nirvana     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pokemon Stadium is definately worth the money. Of course there is the massive range of battle options and mini games and the exceptional versus battle mode. The commentator is the most annoying thing in the game. Play in Dodrio mode and you will have Lv100s by the bucket load, of course no need for batteries...

------------------
"Pikachu"

-Pikachu

From: United Kingdom. | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
MewtwoSama
Asshole
Member # 12

Member Rated:
posted 12-10-2000 12:11 PM      Profile for MewtwoSama   Author's Homepage   Email MewtwoSama   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I dont know if its worth it anymore, with GS Stadium just around the corner.

Your brother might enjoy the minigames.

The Stadium battles are fun. VERY good if you've got nobody to test your skills against.

------------------
Even if Fanny was in Revenge of the Nerds, people wouldnt like him.

From: Abyss of Evil | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lark84
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 12-10-2000 03:07 PM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
But can I get Amnesia Psyduck/Surfing Pikachu in G/S Stadium? And G/S hasn't been releaased here in Sweden yet (they'll be released around Easter 2001!!! I can't wait!), so I think it's at least a year more before G/S Stadium is released here.

quote:
Originally posted by MewtwoSama:
I dont know if its worth it anymore, with GS Stadium just around the corner.

------------------

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 12-11-2000 10:24 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The major appeal of Stadium is Dodrio mode.

Fighting the CPU is good if you have little or no battle experience otherwise. It's a good place to sharpen your skills and just generally get used to the flow of a "real" battle.

Also, if any portion of your team isn't pulling its weight, you'll find out pretty soon in Stadium.

I like it and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes RBY.

I would not recommend it just for Amnesia Psyduck or Surfing Pikachu, unless you really, really love Psyduck/Golduck or Pikachu/Raichu and desperately want that moveset. Even so, it is a real pain in the ass to get those guys...

The most annoying thing about Stadium is that it cheats. I wouldn't mind if the CPU used a superior strategy to defeat Team Wiggly, but since it just flat out cheats, that doesn't really acurately reflect the power of my team.

Of course, it's designed that way because it's expecting you to walk thru the game with a Mewtwo...which you can do, if you like...

------------------
"My nightmares just can't scare me now, baby, without you." -Everclear

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
TeeJay
Farting Nudist
Member # 265

Member Rated:
posted 12-12-2000 11:47 AM      Profile for TeeJay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you, like 10% of us on this board, have friends, then yes. If you are a guy who loves to train, then yes.

------------------
"I feel stupid, thank you TeeJay..."- Lugia -The Flying Fish

AIM: daBIGTom

From: Overland Park, Kansas, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Crimzonite
Farting Nudist
Member # 307

Member Rated:
posted 12-12-2000 02:07 PM      Profile for Crimzonite     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

And there's also the PC in Stadium. One can easily move several Pokemon from one game to another by putting them in the N64 box, turning off the game, inserting another game, then moving the Pokemon in the N64 box into the new game. It's a lot quicker than trading several Pokemon.

------------------

Conflagra
Farting Nudist
Member # 979

Rate Member
posted 12-14-2000 11:42 PM      Profile for Conflagra     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If your brother doesn't like to battle, then he will love the mini games. My sister is exactly that way. That's all my sister ever plays Stadium for, but now she's busy 24/7 with G/S.

------------------

Lark84
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 12-16-2000 09:44 AM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have one final question to ask:

When you transfer your pokémon to Stadium from the RBY cart, are they permanently transferred, or can they be transferred back to the cart again?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm not sure if transferred Pokémon gains levels and EXP when you battle with them. Do they? And if they do it, can they be transferred back t the cart?

Say I have a L99 Vileplume. I trnasfer it to Stadium from Red, and battle with it a few times. Will it gain EXP when it defeats an opponent? Can you choose it to not gain EXP? Or will it gain no EXP at all?

I don't want my pokémon to become trapped in Stadium !

------------------

D-Teclis
Farting Nudist
Member # 974

Member Rated:
posted 12-16-2000 02:30 PM      Profile for D-Teclis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lark84:
I have one final question to ask:

When you transfer your pokémon to Stadium from the RBY cart, are they [b]permanently transferred, or can they be transferred back to the cart again?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm not sure if transferred Pokémon gains levels and EXP when you battle with them. Do they? And if they do it, can they be transferred back t the cart?

Say I have a L99 Vileplume. I trnasfer it to Stadium from Red, and battle with it a few times. Will it gain EXP when it defeats an opponent? Can you choose it to not gain EXP? Or will it gain no EXP at all?

I don't want my pokémon to become trapped in Stadium !

[/B]

Well,when you put a pokemon from your cart to one of the n64 boxes,this pokemon won't be anymore available in your game UNTIL you transfer it back to your cart.

------------------
"I know where north is!","uh?where?","opposite to south"

ImmortalFreezer
Farting Nudist
Member # 1261

Member Rated:
posted 12-16-2000 03:05 PM      Profile for ImmortalFreezer   Author's Homepage   Email ImmortalFreezer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Go ahead and get it. Its well worth the money. Dont worry about getting any Pokemon trapped in stadium. To my knowledge, Pokemon CANT be trapped in the Stadium game. They dont gain experience no matter what you do in Stadium. Theres no option for that whatsoever.

Once you get Dodrio mode, youll wonder how you ever lived without it. You can beat R/B/Y start to finish in 2 1/2 hours using that mode. Trades, organization, etc. gets a whole lot easier in Stadium. Plus, you get to see all of your Pokemon battle in 3-D. You can also organize all of your moves. Say your Vileplume has its starting move (Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, etc) placed in the 4th move slot. By using Stadium, you can move it around and make it so its in your 1st move slot making things faster. You also have the benefits of fighting computer controlled opponents as training. If youre not sure about a Pokemon or moveset, take it to the Gym Leader Castle and see how it fares in the later rounds.

Anyway, if you have R/B/Y Id suggest Stadium just because it makes things a whole lot easier. With all the benefits it has, its definately wrth AT LEAST a rental to check it out.

------------------
(Insert witty stuff here)

Anxious Clock
President Taft
Member # 1159

Member Rated:
posted 12-16-2000 03:56 PM      Profile for Anxious Clock     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey, what if you've used the Missingno. glitch? Does Stadium reject your file, or is there a way to get around this other than trading your team to a different cart to use on Stadium?

------------------
"Anthrax is a sex god! Or at least, that's what his pet hamster told me"-Psybro, on Anthrax being a sex god

ImmortalFreezer
Farting Nudist
Member # 1261

Member Rated:
posted 12-16-2000 09:22 PM      Profile for ImmortalFreezer   Author's Homepage   Email ImmortalFreezer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ive used the MissingNo trick over 1,000 times and Ive never had any problems with it. As a matter of fact, Ive even used the MissingNo trick on Dodrio mode while playing Stadium. It works just fine only its 4x faster than without Dodrio mode . And having the extra item space that Stadium gives you, you can get over 99 of every TM, Vitamin, etc you want and have them perfectly organized. Having infinite TMs rules for stuff like customising movesets for certain situations. As far as Gameshark goes, I have no idea what would happen since Ive never used mine for R/B/Y.

------------------
(Insert witty stuff here)

Badcrow
Cute Fluffy Squirrel
Member # 684

Member Rated:
posted 12-26-2000 01:16 PM      Profile for Badcrow     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Stadium should be marked down to $39.99 now if you live in the states.

------------------
That's because it's a newsgroup, not a website, you sexual act.
- White Cat replying on what AGNP is.

Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 12-26-2000 11:55 PM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To answer the inquiry of Surfing Pikachu and Amnesia Psyduck in StadiumGS, no, they aren't in StadiumGS, through you can get a Baton Passing Farfetch'd in it. StadiumGS also has (will have?) Doduo Mode from completely Gym Leader Castle, so I'm assuming there's a Dodrio Mode as well.

Of course, StadiumGS does mean waiting a bit longer than the current Stadium.

--Meowth346

------------------
Researcher in charge of Pokémon Forever, a compilation of about 1/1000th of my work.

Lark84
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 12-27-2000 12:47 PM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, now I have Stadium RBY, I love it! I've come to Lt. Surge in the Gym Leaders Castle, but his surfing Raichus and Pikachus knocked my ground pokémon out, so I got mad and turned it off.

But other than that, it's great

The stadium leaders aren't that tough, actually... Not when you have stiduuied Pokémon on AH ^_^

------------------
"Um, that was, um, weird." _LugiaStorm_ on PBS after defeating me

"The amazing swift dancing Beedrill!"

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.