The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Onix Annex   » Azure Pokemon Center   » True story

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: True story
Flareon
Farting Nudist
Member # 299

Member Rated:
posted 11-27-2000 03:08 AM      Profile for Flareon   Email Flareon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pokémon: The universal language

I'm sitting on a bench waiting for the local Enoden Line train to come so I can come home from my cello lesson in Fujisawa (for anyone who doesn't know already, I live in Japan). The part of my ride on the Enoden train takes about 45 minutes, so I brought my Gameboy and Pokémon Blue with me. Anyway, this boy who looks to be about 8 or 9 comes onto the platform, sees a teenage foreign girl playing a purple Gameboy, and runs over. He says something in Japanese, pointing to my Gameboy, and I reply "Pocket monstah," showing him the screen. He sits down by me and starts talking some more. A bit confused, I show him my lineup. I recognize some of the words he says: "Sundahs...Kamonegi...Dagutorio... Rizaadon...Yadoran...Furiizaaa..." He says something else in Japanese, and I hear "Myutuu" in whatever it is he said. I get Psycho the Mewtwo out of Box 5 and let him play my Gameboy. I don't think he could read English because he got HM messages when he tried to look at stats. The train comes, we sit down together. I still don't have the slightest clue what this boy is saying because I only know a few Japanese words. I take out my Little Red Book (my name for my family's Japanese guidebook) and try to find "I'm sorry, I don't speak Japanese." (Travel tip: If you ever go to Japan, learn how to say "gomen nasai, nihongo wa dekimasen" right.) He walks around Cerulean until he figures out where the Fly option is. I've forgotten the names of the cities in Japanese, unfortunately. He lands in Lavender, heads down Silence Bridge, wanders around, battles a trainer I'd forgotten about (I showed him which move was Psychic), battles a few hooked PKMN, figures out how to surf, and wanders around some more. It looks like he's confused as well, so I take over and get my Growlithe, saying "Gahdie." I train in Celadon while the kid watches. A few minutes later, he looks up and says something to me, pointing towards the train door. He gets off at the next stop, so I say "sayonara" because that's the only Japanese word for "goodbye" I know.
Neither of us could understand a word the other was saying, but this kid liked Pocket Monsters and I knew their Japanese names.

------------------
Ash Ketchum got run over by a Stantler
Coming home to Pallet Christmas Eve
Some folks say there's no such thing as Santa
As for Brock and Misty, they believe.

From: Yokosuka, Japan | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Kobayashi
Farting Nudist
Member # 313

Member Rated:
posted 11-27-2000 10:10 AM      Profile for Kobayashi     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nice

------------------
+kobayashi

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 11-28-2000 03:09 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's pretty sweet. At least the Japanese kid I met spoke English...
From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Conflagra
Farting Nudist
Member # 979

Rate Member
posted 11-29-2000 10:13 PM      Profile for Conflagra     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... maybe some money could be saved if a universal version of Pokémon was created.

------------------

abz1986
Farting Nudist
Member # 150

Member Rated:
posted 12-01-2000 09:26 PM      Profile for abz1986   Author's Homepage   Email abz1986   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
interesting.... theres still trainers that you haven't battled in your game? how strange..

------------------
"I'm not poot poot to poot of poot. Its poot but poot at the poot poot. " - poot poot man

From: Overland Park, KS, USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Flareon
Farting Nudist
Member # 299

Member Rated:
posted 12-02-2000 02:18 AM      Profile for Flareon   Email Flareon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I re-started my absolutely AWFUL newbieish save a few months ago, and I haven't gotten around to all the trainers yet. I think there are still some Channelers, Swimmers, Fishermen, Bikers, Birdkeepers, and misc. trainers I haven't gotten to yet, especially around Fuschia. I might have some people in the Rock Tunnel and Rockets in the Game Corner too. The "specialized" people come in handy for training, like Swimmers for Grass and Electric (I know about Stat Exp. and boosted exp., but I box'n'boost to make up for it.).

------------------
Ash Ketchum got run over by a Stantler
Coming home to Pallet Christmas Eve
Some folks say there's no such thing as Santa
As for Brock and Misty, they believe.

From: Yokosuka, Japan | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.