The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Onix Annex   » Azure Pokemon Center   » Hidden Power rant

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hidden Power rant
Psybro
Half Psyduck. Half Slowbro. All cop.
Member # 290

Member Rated:
posted 11-16-2000 04:22 PM      Profile for Psybro   Email Psybro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if this should be in the Oddish Hall, or even Sakaki Tower, but I think it's more of a 'moral' issue than a strategical one:

I am pissed off at seeing so many people recommending Hidden Power.
I myself use an XPloder loaded with plenty of handy codes, and have nothing at all against sharking, as long as it stays within the legal boundaries of the game (none of the oft-quoted Sporing Electrodes, TM cloning allowed because any idiot could use Missingno. and so forth). I am usually defensive towards sharking, and resent it when people try and preach to me about the 'evils' of the Shark.

However, using Hidden Power as anything other than a random move is downright cheap (gasp, I said the magic word!). If you happen to catch, say, a Scizor with the DVs for a 70 base power Rock move, then good for you, you can counter your Scizor's greatest weakness (Fire). But sharking that Scizor's DVs just to get a good attack on it seems so...cheesy.

I guess my main problem with the issue is this:
One of the cental ideas (if not the central idea) is that all Pokémon have weaknesses. Resorting to sharking just because you can't stand the idea of having one major weakness on your monster of choice seems pretty shallow to me.

I myself will be staying away from Hidden Power if at all possible, and carry on excepting that idea from the good old days that no Pokémon can counter all of its weaknesses.

------------------
"Rocks are cool. Tyte rocks are phat. But pymp tyte rocks, I can't think of a better orgy starter."-AznExplosN
Not related to the G/S Lord Psybro.

[This message has been edited by Psybro (edited 11-16-2000).]

From: Sheffield, South Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Johnny Eagle
Farting Nudist
Member # 169

Member Rated:
posted 11-16-2000 05:31 PM      Profile for Johnny Eagle   Email Johnny Eagle   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't know about anyone else, but I don't plan on Sharking the DV's needed to get a certain strength/type of Hidden Power

------------------
Life's a game:it's meant to be played.

OrientalNoodle
Farting Nudist
Member # 616

Member Rated:
posted 11-17-2000 01:45 AM      Profile for OrientalNoodle   Author's Homepage   Email OrientalNoodle   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And next you say that Mewtwo was ultimately cheap in R/B/Y. Maybe it was, but why was everyone (Ok not EVERYONE but really many people) using him? Maybe it was because he was really powerful. Same with Hidden Power. Now when you can get a move that counters many if not all of your weaknesses, people will use them.

Yeah, I think that it is cheap to Shark just that right Hidden Power on your Scizor/Heracross/Whatever and I do not like it, but some people just say: "It's not cheating, I stayed within the limits!" Riiiiiiiiiiight.

It is cheating if you Shark to get that move. It's like if you used doping to run fast as h*ll. Just because SOMEONE could do it, doesn't mean that YOU can automatically succeed.

Same with cloning items. The fact that you have lifted 150 kg before, doesn't mean that you automatically succeed this time. The fact that you have completed the game (Or 999 h in the counter) and acquired all the TM's, doesn't mean that you automatically succeed next time.

OrientalNoodle has spoken. Ugh.

------------------
The meaning of life can only be found in death.
-Me

From: Hanko, -, Finland | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
1970Beetle
Farting Nudist
Member # 933

Member Rated:
posted 11-17-2000 11:32 AM      Profile for 1970Beetle   Author's Homepage   Email 1970Beetle   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I concur. Hidden Power is cheap as hell with everyone Sharking it now. I believe it was meant to be a gamble move, you know, see what you get. Maybe it'll be great, maybe it will suck. But that's the challenge in using it. I personally don't use it, I'll never use it, and I'll cut down anyone who Sharks to get it just right for their Pokemon. I wonder if anyone who does use it is actually gonna stand up and defend themselves and their Sharked Hidden Power...

------------------
We're out of our medicine, out of our minds, and we want in yours. Let us in!

From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lugia -The Flying Fish
Farting Nudist
Member # 1044

Member Rated:
posted 11-17-2000 12:35 PM      Profile for Lugia -The Flying Fish   Author's Homepage   Email Lugia -The Flying Fish   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well...I NEVER shark DVs...I always catch my Pokemon, teach it HP, and if it doesn't have the HP I want, I release it.

I think HP is a great attack, IMHO.

------------------
Hah, and no man can doubt the intense sexual magnetism one wields while carrying a Pikaplush.
Sadly, the thing's been laid more times than I have.
-Cat-Gonk
------------------
AIM: LugiaTheFlyNFish
Pokemon G/S Gameshark Archive

From: Pensacola, FL, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Yay Porygon
Farting Nudist
Member # 810

Member Rated:
posted 11-17-2000 01:14 PM      Profile for Yay Porygon   Author's Homepage   Email Yay Porygon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
At least if they do Shark up their critters to have the Power they want, they're not max-stats critters. That's about the best thing I can come up with.

I dun like it, just because of bad experiences with Unowns. Grr...stupid letters.

------------------
Oy.

From: Peregrine Island | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Johnny Eagle
Farting Nudist
Member # 169

Member Rated:
posted 11-18-2000 12:00 PM      Profile for Johnny Eagle   Email Johnny Eagle   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 1970Beetle:
I concur. Hidden Power is cheap as hell with everyone Sharking it now

"Everyone"?

------------------
Life's a game:it's meant to be played.

Marril
Farting Nudist
Member # 51

Member Rated:
posted 11-18-2000 02:07 PM      Profile for Marril     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Everyone"? Jeez, I just see what I get, and if it's good, I keep it. If not, I make a quick trip to Blackthorn...

------------------
"But, it was so artistically done."
--Grand Admiral Thrawn's final words,
Star Wars: The Last Command

oporaca
Farting Nudist
Member # 922

Member Rated:
posted 11-19-2000 06:49 PM      Profile for oporaca     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To Yay Ebeagle1: They can Shark Max Stats to get 70 Dark Power.

To Marril: I'd keep Hidden Power until I replaced it, a weak move is better than an empty slot.

------------------
My ideas may be crazy, but they're the good kind of crazy.

1970Beetle
Farting Nudist
Member # 933

Member Rated:
posted 11-19-2000 07:37 PM      Profile for 1970Beetle   Author's Homepage   Email 1970Beetle   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Listen up Jimmy Eagle. What I meant by "everyone" is all the people who are recommending these magical Hidden Powers that would be impossible to get without Sharking or spending a majority of your life, catching and recatching character, just for specific DV's. I mean, just getting the correct "Power" is a slim chance, let alone the 70-base-damage version. Look, I'm sure some people are legally getting it, and they're very lucky. But I'd say a fairly huge majority are Sharking it, which is bullshit. To everyone who is using Hidden Power legitimately, good for you. You should all be standing behind me, and against the people making you look like Sharkers. This reminds me of Mew...I'm sure there are people who waited in a long line for their Mew's, and I think they should use the shit out of them, but Sharking one for anything more than to complete your Pokedex is weak. They're rare for a reason...just like the odds of getting just the right Hidden Power for your Pokemon. Get what I'm saying here?

------------------
We're out of our medicine, out of our minds, and we want in yours. Let us in!

From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Articuno
Farting Nudist
Member # 1091

Rate Member
posted 11-20-2000 05:19 PM      Profile for Articuno     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow are all you obsessed with XPloders or something????

I hate cheating and would NEVER dream about doing it. I raise my pokémon properly and get TMS and other items I want without cheating. Its not that hard, and it gives you more satisfaction than putting a few cheats on now and then.

------------------

geese
Farting Nudist
Member # 1152

Member Rated:
posted 11-22-2000 01:40 PM      Profile for geese   Email geese   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think that hp has been completely ruined by sharking, and have a real problem about using it now . After all, if I did spend all my time getting a perfect 70 power water attack for my jolteon, I would only be accused of sharking it. I bet that peoples moral 'issues' will disappear when it comes to G/S tourneys though, especially when your perfectly crafted tactical team goes down to some idiot who didn't think half as much, and just covered their weaknesses with a game shark.

------------------
'Come on!'

[This message has been edited by geese (edited 11-22-2000).]

DragoniteJ
Farting Nudist
Member # 815

Member Rated:
posted 11-22-2000 03:28 PM      Profile for DragoniteJ   Author's Homepage   Email DragoniteJ   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't shark Hidden Power, or anything for that matter. I only suggest it because it IS and attack whether you like it or not and it CAN and WILL be used by many people. I might get a shark and shark up a few hidden power pokes but I'll only use them at a tournament and ONLY if many other people shark hidden power. It just isn't fair for them to have that advantage. Also, Hidden Power isn't extremely strong (70 power, wow) and unless you're using dark power you won't have perfect DVs. It doesn't make you nearly invincible. I don't think it's morally wrong to shark if your opponents shark, but if they don't, I'm sticking with Wing Attack instead of Flying Power on my Dragonite.

------------------
You may know me as Booster6th. Please visit my website at http://lanturn.cjb.net

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.