The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Onix Annex   » Azure Pokemon Center   » Tips on catching the Legendaries

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tips on catching the Legendaries
White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 11-14-2000 05:44 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I spent several hours trying to catch them last night, and a couple more today. I used Max Repel, a level 39 Jynx with Lovely Kiss and Mean Look and attached Quick Claw, a backup level 60 Genger with Hypnosis, Mean Look, and Night Shade, and a level 30 Scyther with False Swipe.

My strategy was to put them to sleep with Jynx (max repel kept anything with a lower level from showing up), switch to Gengar and use NS twice to lower their HP and keep them asleep and prevent running, and get them down to only 1 HP with Scyther.

As for finding them, I had the best luck when I hung around Mahogany Town (because there aren't gates at the east and west exits). When I was in Mahogany, I would check my Pokedex for their location. If one of them was west of the city, I would head east, and hope that's the direction that it went as well. If one was two areas west of town, I'd go one area west and see if they came to the same area.

I tried doing this between Routes 35, 36, and 37, but it didn't work very well for some reason. I only got one encounter that way.

When I quit last night, I had gotten both Entei and Suicune down to 1 HP. Since Raikou was faster than my Jynx, I didn't get any damage on it (although I did manage to put it to sleep once via Quick Claw). Today, I was able to get them all. Entei took three Fast Balls, Suicune took four (although I rebooted without saving if I failed a capture attempt; I once threw nine Fast Balls at Suicune without catching it). I used the Master Ball on Raikou, rather than having to rely on Quick Claw's chance of going first.

Anyone have other strategies that did or didn't work?

------------------
"I heard that Bush didn't even know who Canada's president is."
-- Member of Al Gore's campaign staff

[This message has been edited by White Cat (edited 05-16-2001).]

Atma
Farting Nudist
Member # 689

Member Rated:
posted 11-14-2000 07:13 AM      Profile for Atma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I used a levle 28 Jynx with Teacher's Claw, but not for sleep. I used her Ice Punch to freeze Suicune solid. Same for Raikou. Same for Lugia. Same for Houou (yes he was 42 levels higher than Jynx, no his level advantage did not help him.).

And yes, I used the same strategy for finding them. (sometimes I did it in Ice Gym City, sometimes in Violet City)

------------------
"My name is Atma...
I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.
Forgotten in the river of time...
I've had an eternity to ponder the meaning of things...
And now I have an answer..."

From: Cinnabar Isle, Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
TeeJay
Farting Nudist
Member # 265

Member Rated:
posted 11-14-2000 10:34 AM      Profile for TeeJay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Atma:
I used a levle 28 Jynx with Teacher's Claw, but not for sleep. I used her Ice Punch to freeze Suicune solid. Same for Raikou. Same for Lugia. Same for Houou (yes he was 42 levels higher than Jynx, no his level advantage did not help him.).

*coughBULLSHITcough*

------------------
"I think it would be funny if Florida recounted and TeeJay won... and no one was President because no one got to the 270 mark,"- Givera, IRC chat, 8:12 PM EST, 11/10/2000

AIM: daBIGTom

From: Overland Park, Kansas, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Charmeleon411
Farting Nudist
Member # 99

Member Rated:
posted 11-14-2000 11:04 AM      Profile for Charmeleon411     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TeeJay:
*coughBULLSHITcough*

*agrees*

Ho-oh is a stupid bastard that won't stay frozen. I've frozen him 5 times, sure enoguh he burt through it with sacred flame.

------------------
"Yes, anyone who dares to disagree with Charmeloeon411 is an idiot..." - White Cat
Come submit your team to the biggest compilation of pokemon teams on the net by clicking here
-Charmeleon411-

TheMechanic
Farting Nudist
Member # 577

Rate Member
posted 11-14-2000 03:53 PM      Profile for TheMechanic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You'll notice Atma said it was 41 levels higher than his jynx who was lv. 29 meaning ho-oh was lv.70 and did not know sacred fire therefore it could not have been able to burn through the ice.

------------------

Velox
Farting Nudist
Member # 913

Member Rated:
posted 11-14-2000 05:47 PM      Profile for Velox   Author's Homepage   Email Velox   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
First, let me say that, contrary to popular belief, Max Repel doesn't ward off Pokémon that happen to be equal to your lead Pokémon in level. You can use your low-level Lugia or Ho-oh in the chase...though Ho-oh probably won't do you as much good. ^_^

My Dogcatcher:

Gengar - Level 40
Lick / Ice Punch / Hypnosis / Mean Look
@ Quick Claw

Hypnosis isn't foolproof, of course, but Gengar is fast enough to get the drop on Raikou more often than Jynx can.

Catching the dogs was systematic...

ROUND 1. I used my level 40 Lugia to take large bites out of the Legendoggies' HP, one Psychic at a time. (Entei lost more than half of his HP after just one Psychic...what a wuss. =P)

ROUND 2. I led with Gengar, put the Legendoggies to sleep, used Mean Look, and then did whatever damage still needed to be done with a False Swiping Marowak. I let the beasts escape.

ROUND 3. I led with Gengar, did the usual Hypnosis and Mean Look, and then started chucking Fast Balls. That was all.

------------------
-Mysterious Priest Velox

Karnivax: Did you get to come up with the nicknames for the Pokémon that you trade for in-game? (Lola the Jynx, Crinkles the Tangela et al)
Nob Donut: No
Nob Donut: none of that stuff is my fault
Karnivax: Whew.
Nob Donut: yeah, i think so too. I'd be using names like Biff, Pongo, Goober, that sort of thing

[This message has been edited by Velox (edited 11-14-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Velox (edited 11-14-2000).]

From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Atma
Farting Nudist
Member # 689

Member Rated:
posted 11-15-2000 12:25 AM      Profile for Atma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TeeJay:
*coughBULLSHITcough*

TeeJay I see your head is up your ass again, do you enjoy that?

And people wonder why I left his crappy league...

------------------
"My name is Atma...
I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.
Forgotten in the river of time...
I've had an eternity to ponder the meaning of things...
And now I have an answer..."

From: Cinnabar Isle, Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Marril
Farting Nudist
Member # 51

Member Rated:
posted 11-15-2000 07:14 PM      Profile for Marril     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Catching Suicune was easy. Nice ball animation ^_^

Raikou is down to 1 HP (if my Haunter had been any higher level w/Night Shade...), and Entei is down 40HP...

And my dumb brother caught a three-way maxed Entei! Grr, the closest to max my Suicune has is -2... >_<

------------------
"But, it was so artistically done."
--Grand Admiral Thrawn's final words,
Star Wars: The Last Command

Lugia -The Flying Fish
Farting Nudist
Member # 1044

Member Rated:
posted 11-17-2000 12:46 PM      Profile for Lugia -The Flying Fish   Author's Homepage   Email Lugia -The Flying Fish   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well...I just traded my Master Balls from my extra gold and silver game packs. (I have 5 pakcs in all...)

So...I have 5 Master Balls...

I have only caught Raikou and Suicune...I still need Entei!

------------------
Hah, and no man can doubt the intense sexual magnetism one wields while carrying a Pikaplush.
Sadly, the thing's been laid more times than I have.
-Cat-Gonk
------------------
AIM: LugiaTheFlyNFish
Pokemon G/S Gameshark Archive

From: Pensacola, FL, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
VulturesRow
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 1299

Rate Member
posted 01-08-2001 12:16 PM      Profile for VulturesRow   Author's Homepage   Email VulturesRow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just thought Id drag this topic back to the top. I just caught two of the doggies, havent gotten the third to show up yet. White Cats method works well, I was actually using it before I read it on here. I think however he may have meant to say Mahogany Town as opposed to Blackthorne City. But for all of you trying to catch them, use this method. It works. Incidentally, I would use Gengar as your dog catcher along with Scyther. Thats what I was doing 'til I lost my patience and used the item duplication trick to get some more Master Balls. Call me cheater if you will..sticks and stones may break my bones etc etc.

------------------
IM: VulturesRow

From: Oak Harbor WA USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cesar
Farting Nudist
Member # 529

Member Rated:
posted 01-08-2001 04:07 PM      Profile for Cesar   Email Cesar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I catched Lugia by sending out scyther with false swipe and trying to put it to sleep, and flashed it many times. It later ended with Lugia having no PP and struggling. It hurt itself in the struggle but didn't die because of its recovers. I then threw a pokeball, an almost catch. Then I threw one great ball and one ultra ball, both failed miserably. I sent out another pokeball and catched it. Yay ^_^

------------------
NidoGod- Earthquake, Amnesia, Ice Beam, submission @leftovers
"640K ought to be enough for anybody." -- Bill Gates, 1981.

From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
White Cat
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 01-08-2001 06:57 PM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think however he [White Cat] may have meant to say Mahogany Town as opposed to Blackthorne City.

I meant the one with the Ghost gym. I'm quite sure that's Blackthorn. Where's Mahogany Town?

------------------
"This year, Toronto had a huge garbage problem. But he was re-elected anyway."
-- Jimmy & Seamus O'Toole, Royal Canadian Air Farce

VulturesRow
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 1299

Rate Member
posted 01-08-2001 07:34 PM      Profile for VulturesRow   Author's Homepage   Email VulturesRow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

I meant the one with the Ghost gym. I'm quite sure that's Blackthorn. Where's Mahogany Town?

[/B]

White Cat,

The Ghost Gym is in Ecruteak City. Mahogany town is east of Ecruteak City past Route 42.

------------------
IM: VulturesRow

From: Oak Harbor WA USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
waruimewtwo
Farting Nudist
Member # 1328

Member Rated:
posted 01-12-2001 12:50 AM      Profile for waruimewtwo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jumpluff with Sleep Powder worked for me as my sleeper.

I've noticed that Raikou runs away no matter what once it gets down to 1 HP. I was forced to use my Master Ball.

------------------

White Cat
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 01-13-2001 01:12 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oops, in that case I did mean Mahogany. Blackthorn is the one with the dragon gym. >_<

------------------
"This year, Toronto had a huge garbage problem. But he was re-elected anyway."
-- Jimmy & Seamus O'Toole, Royal Canadian Air Farce

abz1986
Farting Nudist
Member # 150

Member Rated:
posted 01-14-2001 04:27 PM      Profile for abz1986   Author's Homepage   Email abz1986   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am a very lucky man... I saw all 3 legendary dogs/cats before I beat the 6th gym. I caught entei with a master ball

------------------
"I don't think so pikachu2005 why dose everybody want thunder wave 3/4 of the opponent still attacts andI would much rather have maga punch or maga kick there way stronger besides why dose it need a move that paralizes???" - some dude at Gameshark.com message board

From: Overland Park, KS, USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Dan and the Kirbys
Farting Nudist
Member # 221

Member Rated:
posted 01-14-2001 10:52 PM      Profile for Dan and the Kirbys     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I finally caught Raikou, the last of the 3, today. Stupid thing ran me out of Ultra Balls...luckily, a Heavy Ball managed to nab it.

------------------
-----------------------
/('.')\ Beware the Kirbys...

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.