The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Onix Annex   » Azure Pokemon Center   » Are level 255 pokemon tournament legal?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are level 255 pokemon tournament legal?
Porcupine
Farting Nudist
Member # 46

Member Rated:
posted 05-18-2000 04:39 PM      Profile for Porcupine   Email Porcupine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't see much reason why level 255 pokemon should not be tournament legal, as long as they have been obtained using the MissingNo. trick. You don't need a Gameshark to get them, and they even survive the boxing process intact.

The only thing is that they wouldn't have any stat EXP because gaining any EXP with them reverts them to level 100. But I'll take a level 255 pokemon with 0 stat EXP any day over a level 100 pokemon with max stat EXP.

------------------

From: Honolulu, HI, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
BiG GULP 44oz
Farting Nudist
Member # 281

Rate Member
posted 05-18-2000 07:14 PM      Profile for BiG GULP 44oz   Email BiG GULP 44oz   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
why dont you try it? im pretty sure it isnt legal

------------------
where does a snorlax sit?

anywhere he wants

From: Carmichael,CA,usa | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snorlax143
Farting Nudist
Member # 263

Member Rated:
posted 05-18-2000 07:21 PM      Profile for Snorlax143   Author's Homepage   Email Snorlax143   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think you actually could give them stat exp. I remember a post about two months ago made by one of the Nintendo reps. He said that Pokemon will still gain stat exp in link battles. This way, you could have fully raised level 255 pokemon.

------------------

From: Oregon, Ohio, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
MewtwoSama
Asshole
Member # 12

Member Rated:
posted 05-18-2000 07:46 PM      Profile for MewtwoSama   Author's Homepage   Email MewtwoSama   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snorlax143:
I think you actually could give them stat exp. I remember a post about two months ago made by one of the Nintendo reps. He said that Pokemon will still gain stat exp in link battles. This way, you could have fully raised level 255 pokemon.

The reps are idiots.

I wouldnt go to 255 either. They often go crazy at that level. 250 is high enough for me.

------------------
AIM: MewtwoSama
It's cold, glowing eyes strike fear into it's enemies.

Wollt ihr das bett in flamen sehen?

From: Abyss of Evil | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Crimzonite
Farting Nudist
Member # 307

Member Rated:
posted 05-18-2000 08:12 PM      Profile for Crimzonite     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Lv 255 Pokemon are a glitch. Pokemon aren't supposed to go over lv 100. And until recently, many RPGs wouldn't let you go past lv 99

------------------

BiG GULP 44oz
Farting Nudist
Member # 281

Rate Member
posted 05-18-2000 11:04 PM      Profile for BiG GULP 44oz   Email BiG GULP 44oz   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
what do you mean "until recently" is there an rpg that lets you get over 100?

------------------
where does a snorlax sit?

anywhere he wants

From: Carmichael,CA,usa | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 05-19-2000 02:28 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porcupine:
I don't see much reason why level 255 pokemon should not be tournament legal, as long as they have been obtained using the MissingNo. trick. You don't need a Gameshark to get them, and they even survive the boxing process intact.

Not only aren't they legal, you'd have to be a real a-hole to even try it!

Just my opinion, of course...but I'm right.

------------------
KOFFING!
Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 05-19-2000 02:29 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fanha:
Oh, and Pokemon do not gain ANY Exp in link battles. Why do I know for sure? Because the game saves before the match, and it doesn't save after. Therefore, your Pokemon obviously are exactly the same as where you saved last before openning the link.

I pretty much figured this, but I didn't say anything to the rep because I didn't have any proof.

Well, I think I said I doubted he was correct, but it could be possible...

------------------
KOFFING!
Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Crimzonite
Farting Nudist
Member # 307

Member Rated:
posted 05-19-2000 08:05 AM      Profile for Crimzonite     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BiG GULP 44oz:
what do you mean "until recently" is there an rpg that lets you get over 100?

No, until recently RPGs only went up to 99. Final Fantasy 8 lets you go up to 100.

------------------

Porcupine
Farting Nudist
Member # 46

Member Rated:
posted 05-19-2000 05:15 PM      Profile for Porcupine   Email Porcupine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Snorlax, that thing about stat EXP would be great, but I would have to agree with Fanha and Mr. K on this one, without any serious testing to look at. Their logic makes too much sense.

Actually, maybe you cannot have Level 255 pokemon, because they are NOT box-able...they will revert to a lower level (probably still 100+ though) because of EXP overflow. However usually pokemons around level 200-250 are box-able and they will come out exactly the same level. Using this overflow trick someone recently posted a infinite HP trick, which should be legal also I think.

Woooo!!! In any case if I ever had time to prepare for a real tournament I should have some pokemon like that just in case.

Are pre-poisoned, etc pokemon legal in most tournaments?

I have no idea what the heck Prime Cup is...

------------------

Psybro
Half Psyduck. Half Slowbro. All cop.
Member # 290

Member Rated:
posted 05-19-2000 06:14 PM      Profile for Psybro   Email Psybro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Do the Pokémon Levels you put on the entry form for the UK Pokémon Championship 2000 have to be the same when you battle, or are you allowed to train between applying and battling?
Talking of Pokes over Level 100, this guy at school has two Level 150 Snorlax...grr.

------------------
[A Shellder clamps onto Psyduck's tail]
ASH: It's gonna be a Psybro!
MISTY: I never heard of a Psybro.
BROCK: That's because there's no such thing.
If only he realised how wrong he was...

From: Sheffield, South Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 05-19-2000 09:26 PM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lv.255 pokes take all the fun out of the game...

------------------
There is nothing like the fragrance...of a Koffing.

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 05-19-2000 09:34 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

I'm not certain I'm opposed to prepoisoned monsters, honestly, since it almost seems like they set it up so you would do it that way...

But I'm glad they fixed it in stadium.

Levels greater than 100 are a glitch, undeniably. I wouldn't play against anyone one who had that setup, as that is ridiculous, in my opinion.

Basically, if someone wants to fight at ridiculous levels, I'm ok with that, as long as he lets me know ahead of time. I could easily whip up a team of unstoppables...

But what fun is the game, then?

L100 is meant to be the max. That's pretty simple. There is *no* way in an ideal game to do that. It isn't saving time (max stat EXP, max genes), it isn't saving money (items that you can't get two of unless you have two carts or two games). It is impossible under normal circumstances.

------------------
-cfalcon

"Thanks for deleting the post, cfalcon!"
-UBB Automessage

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 05-20-2000 08:31 AM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've tested with Stat EXP in battles. I'd usually get about 26368 Stat EXP from fighting 1-3 PKMN, but there was no pattern to the amount of Stat EXP I'd get. For example, in one battle I had 0h for Attack Stat EXP, defeating Charmander, had 543h, then beat Butterfree and had 6700h, then beat Pidgey, and had 6705h. I tried again with a different Pokémon, but fought the same three, in the same order, and went in Stat EXP from 0h to 6700h, 6700h, 6705h. But I don't know what it means when the Stat EXp is "31 37/40" times the Base Stat for one aattribute, "25 1/45" the next Base Stat, then "28 31/40" "23 55/56" and "24 1/7" for the last three.

When I did the aforementioned battle twice over, the first time both trainers had all badges, the second time neither. I'm really confuse on it all, so maybe I'll try it sometime when I'm not really tired.

------------------
Totodile, go! Oh no, he's got a Granbull! Totodile, return! Who should I choose next, Murkrow, Igglybuff, or Espeon?
Confused?

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 05-20-2000 08:04 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Are you saying that you definitively gain stat EXP in trainer battles, but such gains are highly unpredictable at the current time?

Have you ever *lost* stat EXP in battle?

If (yes,no) is the answer, then you have answered my next big post, which is how to get max stat EXP on a critter in petit cup. If he can gain stat EXP in a versus fight where he picks up zero regular EXP, that is wonderful.

It probably reads the data for the stat EXP addition from a spot in memory that holds the stats for the monster being fought in 1P mode, but something entirely different in versus battles.

With this, every monster, regardless of initial level, can legally gain max stat EXP.

That is wonderful. My Gastly is jumping for joy, as he will be able to fully appreciate his good genes in petit cup.

As always, thanks Meowth

------------------
-cfalcon

"Thanks for deleting the post, cfalcon!"
-UBB Automessage

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Enter Your Name Here
Farting Nudist
Member # 57

Member Rated:
posted 05-20-2000 08:48 PM      Profile for Enter Your Name Here   Email Enter Your Name Here   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fanha:
Na, RPGs vary. In Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest for SNES, Level 41 is tops. In Shining Force 2 for Sega, you can go beyond 99, but it doesn't show you the stats (it puts ??). You're just generalizing. Anyhow, does it matter?

Shining Force 2! That game rocks!

I hate the $#*(&^$)!#*&^#$)&^$)& ??s though.

Me: "Hmmm....how much attack does Peter have NOW?"
Game: "ATT: ??"
Me: "..."

------------------
--EYNH
"Mars is bright tonight."
Co-founder of BBB
The Official AGNP Pope
All of the above was stated IMHO.

Mecha-A
Farting Nudist
Member # 316

Rate Member
posted 05-20-2000 09:48 PM      Profile for Mecha-A     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have done so much work building a team of level 255s with infinite HP (the trading, finding people with good ones, link battles for EXP, stat boosting, Infinite HPing, duping TMs...) that I can't say they shouldn't be legal =)

The way i figure, if someone comes up with a trick to increase PKMN efficiency, those in the know have every right to use it, as the thinker-upper probably did quite a bit of work--from personal experience--to do it. Using glitches like these, to me, actually makes PKMN a more strategic and interesting game (a race to find the next trick =)).

That's my 2,000,000,000 cents.

WAIT! NO! I MEANT TWO CENTS.

------------------

Porcupine
Farting Nudist
Member # 46

Member Rated:
posted 05-23-2000 04:50 PM      Profile for Porcupine   Email Porcupine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hehe.

Personally if I ever entered a real tournament, I'd make sure my game has enough pokemons to make a Level 255 team, a pre-poisoned team, and a regular team, at least....when the tournament begins if my team isn't legal I'll just switch to another one.

My level 255 team would probably have 65535 HP too hehe...might as well bunch those two questionable tricks together.

------------------

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.