The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Onix Annex   » Azure Pokemon Center   » [POLL] Pokemon and your social life

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: [POLL] Pokemon and your social life
Fish
Farting Nudist
Member # 267

Member Rated:
posted 05-15-2000 09:56 PM      Profile for Fish     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here's a post everyone can relate to, and it may have been posted before...so sorry if it has.

No, I am not asking anyone if they have no social life because of Pokemon, I hope no one does that...

I was kind of curious as to how others here (all hardcore Pokemon fans, if they are here) go about telling people they are interested in Pokemon.
Do you tell people openly?
Do you tell them only if they ask?
Do you say you only like it a little? (obviously a lie)
Do you just lie and say you hate Pokemon?
Is this not even an issue for you?

Myself, I'll tell someone if they ask.
Of course, everyone at my school knows, because I am blessed with friends who have big mouths.
"Hey, Fish went to Detroit a while ago, and beat guys from Nintendo at their own game, he's the best Pokemon trainer in Michigan," (as well as other comments along those lines)

Now, if you do tell people, what do they think?
Do they say,"Awwww, that's cute?"
Do they ask you why?
Do they tell you that you are stupid, immature, ect.?
Do they completely look down on you for it?

Again, I get a mixture of the first to.

If people do know about it, does it ruin your image?

So, any good responses?
Did I post this in the wrong spot?
Only time will tell...

------------------

GolemKong
Farting Nudist
Member # 16

Member Rated:
posted 05-15-2000 10:02 PM      Profile for GolemKong   Author's Homepage   Email GolemKong   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nope.
Pretty much
Do you say you only like it a little?
Nope.
Nope.
Not really, the only people I get bothered by about liking pokemon are my parents -_-;

Mick_Hale
Total Moron
Member # 419

Member Rated:
posted 05-15-2000 10:30 PM      Profile for Mick_Hale   Email Mick_Hale   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good day GolemKong from Ontario! Good to see another Ontarian!
Anyhoo, Fish, if I can call you that (too lazy to type out the whole thing), I am very open. I happen to wear the Jewish Skull Cap, or Kipa, whatever you call it (if you know what it is, I'll assume you do), and one that I wear often has pictures of Pikachu, Voltorb, Diglett and Caterpie.
I am very open about my fanhood of Pokémon. Several of my friends are embarrassed to admit it. I don't mind it at all. When someone calls me a baby, like my younger brother does every day, I laugh it off. We are all allowed our guilty pleasures. And anyway, I don't think it's so guilty, seeing the amazing amount of Pokémon Trainers that are older than 12 (I'm 17 myself).
And did you really beat some nintendo guys at their own game? Wicked!
Anyhoo, I really couldn't care less that my favourite neighbor is a 6 year old trainer. Everyone may think I'm crazy, but I live with it. The best part about being open is that you'll find Pokémaniacs in the weirdest places, and all ages. And if they think you're nuts? Well, I am. I guess you have to think of a different excuse.

------------------
Love all this insanity...
Go, Weedle!
Go, Mewtwo!
Mewtwo uses psychic!
Critical Hit!
It's Super Effective!
Weedle uses poison sting!
It's not very effective!
Mewtwo faints!
hehehehehe

From: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Great Dreamer
Farting Nudist
Member # 117

Member Rated:
posted 05-15-2000 10:42 PM      Profile for The Great Dreamer   Email The Great Dreamer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I tell them if they ask, I get no Hell about it.

------------------
"The Great Dreamer Has Written..."
-Luis The Bard, The Great Dreamer-

From: Las Vegas were everyone uses Mimic & Metronome! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Avalanche
Farting Nudist
Member # 38

Member Rated:
posted 05-15-2000 10:50 PM      Profile for Avalanche   Author's Homepage   Email Avalanche   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I admit I am one, if not the most, dedicated fan to pokemon. Most kids say, ok, and move on to another subject, but sometimes (always a woman, sorry little wnnabe girl) will say, "pokemon? thats stupid. Youre a dork." Then I tell them that they are ugly and Im not going to date them anymore, and they get mad. If its a guy that says it, I usally beat him down, but thats me. As for social life, I prefer pokemon to people, but I am popular, and like mocking jelous people who need to be made fun of.

------------------
AIM: Avalanche786
e-mail: lewisdischner@msn.com

From: Catherdral City, CA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Yavarice
Farting Nudist
Member # 420

Member Rated:
posted 05-15-2000 10:55 PM      Profile for Yavarice   Author's Homepage   Email Yavarice   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
First greetings to fellow Ontarians Mick and golemkong. Im not as open as Mick is about my love for pokemon but i kinda do try and keep it under wraps. If someone asks then sure i'll tell em, though the usual reponse is a big "WHY?" Other than that except for one really annoying friend, most of my friends just keep it to themselves. And its also nice to know there are trainers older than 10. Which reminds me, can anyone confirm if there will be a Canandian League? The official pokemon site is certainly of no help, useless thing.

------------------

TeeJay
Farting Nudist
Member # 265

Member Rated:
posted 05-15-2000 11:02 PM      Profile for TeeJay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pokemon has been a delicate subject for me at school. Recently I started telling people about it. Ask Biff and SC. They hated me last year. I was trying to be cool and stuff and deny Pokemon. It wasn't cool. All the girls I knew i didn't tell at first but slowly brought it on and it seemed that I wasn't obsessed. When people ask nowadays I say yes. They are like, "You're dumb"
I'm like, "It's really fun. I'll let you play it sometime. Only the TV show is dumb. It's because of the way they market it. It's really for older kids."
And they're like, "Go away, you're bugging me."
I don't think many people hate me though, they just try to forget that I play Pokemon when they talk to me I think. Of course, I know that I'm gonna get flamed by Biff and SC on this one. Lay it on me.

------------------
Smile, it will be the last time you do once you fight me -TeeJay

From: Overland Park, Kansas, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Anthrax
Ultimate Authoritative Power in the Universe
Member # 335

Member Rated:
posted 05-15-2000 11:27 PM      Profile for Anthrax   Author's Homepage   Email Anthrax   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Since everyone at my school thinks I'm pretty much insane, I'll tell them I love pokemon with a big grin on my face. Usually they smile and respect that I can say that and not care. I do that with a lot of stuff, though. Sometimes I'll say I love Hello Kitty (even though I have no clue what Hello Kitty is), and everyone's cool. Actually now that I think about it they're probably just very afraid of me

------------------
Anthrax
[]D (()) |< e /\/\ (()) []\[]

From: Somebody put shit in my pants! | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
AznExplosN
Farting Nudist
Member # 45

Member Rated:
posted 05-15-2000 11:52 PM      Profile for AznExplosN     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fish151PKMN:

I don't tell people openly, but my actions do speak louder than words. Ex: I have this huge Snorlax Sticker on the back windshield of my car, which is decked out with a Mewtwo Sticker on the middle top of my windshield. The Toys R Us Mew is on my rear view mirror, I'm constantly wearing a Snorlax hat I got for 2 dollars at EB, (trying to show up my friend who's not afraid to wear an N'Sync Hat). At work, I have this phat Pokemon Squeeze battle, I got a blinking Jiggly Puff on my Key Chain, and at home I'm constructing a life sized Snorlax out of Paper Mache. I also have over a billion stickers of them... I could go on and on and on...

Heh, they never ask. I think they're too afraid too. I don't even care anymore, to truly enjoy Pokemon, you would have to understand it. And to explain why guys like you and me play it, love it, live it, is just to hard. They won't understand jack about type modifers, 120 base power, and battle tactics.

See above.

Of course not!

Heh...

------------------
Thor said to Terl, in Psychlo, "The little girl over there is begging to shoot you."

"I'll be quiet here," said Terl.

From: Dallas, Texas, United States | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 05-16-2000 12:22 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Luckily, I'm no longer in school, so this whole concept of hiding my interest in Pokemon is amusing to me.

I hang out with my friends and there's no concept of an "in-crowd" or being "popular".

I play, and if someone asks me about it, I'll happily tell them I love the show and the game.

My friends know about it, are mildly interested in Stadium and Snap, and that's about it (except for one friend who plays the Gameboy game). Some like the show, most are neutral, but no one I hang out with would judge me based on whether I like Pokemon or not.

I guess the best news I have for all of you is that once you get out of school, you get to choose who you hang out with and you'll only have to hide your inner geek if you want to...but it's a lot easier to just be yourself in the real world...

------------------
KOFFING!
Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jackdaw
Farting Nudist
Member # 118

Member Rated:
posted 05-16-2000 06:51 AM      Profile for Jackdaw   Author's Homepage   Email Jackdaw   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So... cial... life? What's that?

KInda
Yes
No
Never
Not much

No
Do they ask you why?
Somethimes
Other times
No, in my anatomy and phisiology class, everone watches. creepy.

------------------
Oo, waffles! -Lisa; The Simpsons
Stupid, STUPID Rat Creatures! -Bone

Slo Migs
Farting Nudist
Member # 110

Member Rated:
posted 05-16-2000 07:45 AM      Profile for Slo Migs   Author's Homepage   Email Slo Migs   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hehehe. My friends are used to me being into all kinds of things that most people consider stupid (i.e. wrestling, pokemon). I actually got all of them interested in Pokemon in one way or another (i.e. either the game or the show).

Seriously, if you talk about it enough without sounding like a nut, most people will get interested. Of course there are also a lot of those close-minded, insecure bastards that diss it anyway, regardless of what you do.

I've never lost a friend because of pokemon, but there are a few people that I lost respect for when they decided to bash it without knowing a thing about it.

------------------
"It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's just fun"

From: Los Angeles, California | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Enter Your Name Here
Farting Nudist
Member # 57

Member Rated:
posted 05-16-2000 06:36 PM      Profile for Enter Your Name Here   Email Enter Your Name Here   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I never tell people openly, but, like with Simon, my actions speak louder than words. I don't go to school with a Pokemon backpack or anything, but anyone who's been over to my house knows I like pokemon. I've got a big banner from Japan, a calendar above my bed, a Pikachu alarm clock, and the Versus poster in my room in various places.

When people do find out, they normally ask why, and if they don't like my reason (which is "that I'm good at the game and cards, I hate the show"), they simply say "pokeymon is gay" and look down on me for the rest of my life.

------------------
--EYNH
"Mars is bright tonight."
Co-founder of BBB
The Official AGNP Pope
All of the above was stated IMHO.

[This message has been edited by Enter Your Name Here (edited 05-16-2000).]

AgentM2
Farting Nudist
Member # 310

Member Rated:
posted 05-16-2000 07:00 PM      Profile for AgentM2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Me, I try not to tell people. My parents think it's kinda silly and a few of my good friends know, but outside that I would be ruined if I told anyone. I really wish it was more accepted by highschoolers in America. It seems to be popular enough in Japan!

------------------
the name's two, mewtwo.......AgentM2!!!

Biffster
Farting Nudist
Member # 269

Member Rated:
posted 05-16-2000 07:30 PM      Profile for Biffster     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ok... i have a story about this that i think you guys will enjoy.

One day i was in my 7th hour english class and my son-of-a-bitch teacher says "My son is playing pokemon. Its neat. I dont know too much about it. Who in the class knows about pokemon?" Pointing fingers and yells roar out at me.(i dont care) Teacher says "How about you give a fifteen minute report on pokemon to the class on friaday." (this was tuesday)
At first i thought that i would weasle out of it, but on the second thought I might be able to teach my class about pokemon and have competition.
(some background information on my class)
1. big class of about 26
2. I was in "slower" english, cause im too lazy to be in honors.
3. A lot of the "popular" people were in there (they dont hate me but im not friends with them)
That night i got to work. I planned to take my super gameboy to school and i got some pictures of stadium from the internet (stadium wasnt out then).

Friday came and i had all my report ready. I started out by showing them how to catch a pokemon, then raising, moves, types, how to pronounce. I did say anything about type bonuses. I showed them the stadium pictures. and my report was over. I was feeling pretty good. Maybe i have changed a life of two. i said "any questions?"
"Which one is Pokémon?" AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Then i realized that i was watching the screen too much to see everyone practically sleeping.
Fag teacher jumps in and says "Can i play?"
In my mind "NO" In really "ok....."
Im not lying.... He walked around five steps inside a pokemon center and said "ok i had enough."
He MADE the class clap for me. Then the bell rang.

I always tell people to play pokemon, but it seems that it goes right over their head. I told one of my good friends about pokemon and he accually bought the game. "so how is your pokemon game coming along?" "I cant figure out how to get this fat pokemon out of my way." He asked me to beat it for him and i did. However when i try to give the game back he says that he does not want it. Oh well now i have four versions. I dont see potencial in him anyway.

------------------
it made itself more evasive....

[This message has been edited by Mr. K (edited 05-18-2000).]

From: Viridian City (On the road at least) | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
GolemKong
Farting Nudist
Member # 16

Member Rated:
posted 05-16-2000 07:47 PM      Profile for GolemKong   Author's Homepage   Email GolemKong   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yavarice:
Which reminds me, can anyone confirm if there will be a Canandian League? The official pokemon site is certainly of no help, useless thing.

League?... I dunno, but there will be a Tourney at Wonderland.. just check : http://www.nintendo.ca

Exact Dates:
ONTARIO
• May 20th - 22nd: Paramount Canada's Wonderland, Toronto
• May 27-28th: Sports World, Kitchener
• May 31st: National Kids Day, Nathan Phillips Square, Toronto
• June 2nd: Kitchener & Waterloo Block Party, Kitchener
• June 3rd: Unionville Festival, Unionville

ONTARIO
• Aug. 4 -8th: Paramount Canada's Wonderland, Toronot
• Aug. 10-13th: Wakestock Wakeboarding Festival, Muskoka
• Aug. 17th: Sportsworld, Kitchener
• Aug. 18 - Sept 4th: Canadian National Exhibition, Toronto

[This message has been edited by GolemKong (edited 05-16-2000).]

starCaliber
is evil and also MewtwoSama
Member # 268

Member Rated:
posted 05-17-2000 01:23 AM      Profile for starCaliber   Email starCaliber   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TeeJay:
Of course, I know that I'm gonna get flamed by Biff and SC on this one. Lay it on me.

Hehe, sweet...he's gonna let us flame him for free this time! Nah, j/k. At least you acknowledge that denying liking Pokemon is crap.

And about Biffster's story, me and this other kid actually got out of class to help him with his report. But when we got to the class and saw how much the people WEREN'T paying attention, it scared the crap out of us and we ran off.

I see it this way: Pokemon is fun, and I like it a lot. I don't give a *insert dirty word here* what everyone else thinks of it.

------------------
Being frozen solid is going to make this a one-sided fight.

From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 05-17-2000 01:50 AM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Biff, I'm so sorry... I still remember what school was like (I'm in college know, so there are no social groups or anything that I deal with, as I have nothing to do with the "let's drink a lot and flunk, or just take a sinfully easy major" group [*cough* fratboys *cough*]).

Having to give a report on pokemon in front of class... that is downright frightening. Especially if it's the one with the cute girls ["popular kids" = hotties and mindless thugs they date, right? Or is it different at your school?]. I think I would have just talked about how it's a roleplaying game, and discussed Nintendo's marketing strategy here in the US, and how it got started and stuff- even that would have been megadorky...

I still don't know why I have a girlfriend.
I'm confused...

If you'll note, some of you may be told that "these are the best years of your life". Odds are if you are a tad of a social misfit, and considered a dork, and have never (or once or some crap like that) had a girlfriend, then that isn't even REMOTELY true. You will LOVE college, in almost all cases.

I'm happy now, and I was home coding in assembler on prom night.

Heck, one of my best quotes was from one girl in one of my classes to long ago to remember when. She was discussing how her sister had some degenerative medical condition, and she was describing to the class how the sister was slipping away, both mentally and physically. She ended the sad story by saying something along the lines of "Sometimes she even plays Nintendo now".

kthx

------------------
-cfalcon

"Thanks for deleting the post, cfalcon!"
-UBB Automessage

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
TeeJay
Farting Nudist
Member # 265

Member Rated:
posted 05-17-2000 09:26 PM      Profile for TeeJay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
On the subject of girlfriends... I just got one today, sort of. Long story. I wonder how she will take it when she finds out how obsessed with Pokémon I am? Hopefully she won't care because she's not one of those popular ditzes who hates all video games.

------------------
Smile, it will be the last time you do once you fight me -TeeJay

From: Overland Park, Kansas, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 05-17-2000 11:13 PM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
EDIT: Updated for Nowness.

Why bother?

Generally. Who cares?

Not anymore.

Do they ask you why?

Yep.

Yep.

Yep.

Yep.

The times they are a changin'.

[ 08-12-2001: Message edited by: Rolken ]

Dark_Herakurosu
Farting Nudist
Member # 1677

Member Rated:
posted 08-09-2001 04:07 AM      Profile for Dark_Herakurosu   Author's Homepage   Email Dark_Herakurosu   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Me like tis topic. **uses max revive on topic** I openly say I like Pokemon, but only when someone asks. I keep from getin my arse kicked by 1. Explaining the types 2. Explaining attack power 3. Explaining levels 4. If they look like they're interested in Pokemon games, I tell them how far I am in in my game. (If It's finished make up some important-sounding shit) If they look about to make fun once your finished, talk about the damage formula and shit like it until they're too confused to do anything. That's what I used to do when I was younger. Now that I'm older, people don't mess with me much. Maybe it has something with my growth? Prolly. One just doesn't mess wit a 6'7", 212 lb. musclebound semi-goth. One just doesn't.

- - - - -
There is more money being spent on breast implants and Viagra today than on Alzheimer's research. This means that by 2040, there should be a large elderly population with perky boobs, huge erections, and absolutely no recollection of what to do with them.

From: the wreckage of Indianapolis | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
SDShamshel
Farting Nudist
Member # 791

Member Rated:
posted 08-09-2001 10:24 AM      Profile for SDShamshel   Email SDShamshel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was kind of curious as to how others here (all hardcore Pokemon fans, if they are here) go about telling people they are interested in Pokemon.

Sometimes.

Sometimes.

All 3 of these are "no."

Do they ask you why?

The last two.

If I had a respectable image to ruin, maybe. But part of my "image" is an anime/video game/overall freak, and this merely compliments it.

- - - - -
Pretty de Cure Cure
Futari wa Precure

Gloomboy
Farting Nudist
Member # 462

Member Rated:
posted 08-09-2001 01:08 PM      Profile for Gloomboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well,I can't say much about my social life,since I have none. I'm still living here at home with my family(two sisters,both parents,and a lot of animals). Still,I think my family is tolerant,if not accepting,of Pokemon. My sister likes Pokemon a bit(she bought herself a Pikachu backpack ),and when I asked my folks to take me to the Pokemon fun-fest(which I can't,because fate made them go help my aunt out ),they offered to buy me a Gameshark instead,so now I can get Celebi(illegally ).

I don't talk about it,though. I get pretty embarrassed when I talk to complete strangers about Pokemon.

- - - - -
"You forgot the part where Pikachu faints Rhydon with Thundershock..." - White Cat

"I don't care if you're lost. You show up here,you're nothing but a victim!" - Rocket Grunt under Goldenrod City

"That's what Hypnosis does; it fails horribly." - Uiru

From: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
PikaCharma
I scanned my boobs and then said I was leaving and never coming back. OOPS!
Member # 2026

Member Rated:
posted 08-09-2001 05:16 PM      Profile for PikaCharma   Author's Homepage   Email PikaCharma   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What is this mysterious "social life" thing you speak of?

As far as Pokemon freakiness goes, I'm out of the closet and proud of it. I wear pokemon shirts, have a pikachu backpack ((plushie Pika covered with anti-social buttons)), play my Gameboy in public, tell tournament war stories at lunch, etc. My friends harass me about it sometimes, but never seriously. Just good natured teasing. As for my family...my dad thinks I'm embarrassing myself by flaunting my pokemon fetish, my mom thinks it's amusing, and my sister is too busy obsessing over *NSuck to notice much of anything. Random people though...I took a LOT of shit for it in highschool, but in college, I've never had much of a problem. I even got challenged to a link battle in the cafeteria once. The guy was a lousy trainer, but still!

Since I'm 20 years old and often carry my Gameboy with me, I think my sanity is frequently called into question, but the only people who have actually made derogatory remarks or been rude to me because of it are some assholes I went to highschool with. You know the type..."I'm so cool because I view life as a popularity contest, and I'm a better person that you because my daddy's richer than your daddy, and I'm a mindless sheep who does whatever my friends tell me to." No big loss there. I actually take it as a good sign when those types *do* hate my guts, because if I'm "uncool" by their standards, then I must be doing something right. Of course, I may be the dorky one now, but while I'm frying my eyes on a Gameboy screen, they're frying their skin in the tanning salon, so when we're all 40, I'll look 30, and they'll look like shoe leather.

But, I digress. Pokemon is no skeleton is my closet. It's part of who I am, I'm not ashamed of it, and I'll defend it if\when I have to. It's amazing how many people are truly surprised to find out Pokemon is a complex strategy game rather than just another mindless bullshit trend. Some of the peeps who started to give me shit have actually shut their mouths upon receiving an explanation of the game. Of course, others just thought it reinforced my geekiness, but who cares. Geeks rule the world.

Peace,
Pikacharma

- - - - -
Pikacharma's Bottomless Pit -- Vote 4 Mike, see a dead Togepi, and take the Pokemon Purity test!

"There's no such thing as a soul. It's just something made up to scare us kids, like the boogieman or Michael Jackson." -- Bart Simpson

Flareon
Farting Nudist
Member # 299

Member Rated:
posted 08-09-2001 08:51 PM      Profile for Flareon   Email Flareon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't bring up the subject of Pokémon unless someone asks if I have any hobbies, if someone else starts talking about Pokémon, or if someone starts talking about video games. Good way to flirt if you're talking to a guy.

- - - - -
"Oh come on, I know you want a Nintendo Playstation for your birthday."
-My mother

From: Yokosuka, Japan | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
the Newbie
Farting Nudist
Member # 1557

Member Rated:
posted 08-09-2001 09:36 PM      Profile for the Newbie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have to say that I don't hide my interest in pokemon nor do I flaunt it. If somebody catches me watching the TV show, playing the video game, or checking out pokemon strategy at AH, I will tell them. I even had a stuffed pikachu that I found and a few mini-figures in my room. I used to take a lot of crap from my roommates at college, but after telling them a little bit about it they stopped ragging on me. They kinda thought that it was cool that it took quite a bit of strategy and thinking to play the came. In fact, they actually liked playing the mini-games on stadium. It was actually kinda funny watching four 21 year olds sitting around playing run rattatta run. But it really doesn't matter in the real world. I am who I am, and I like pokemon.

- - - - -
"When I want to feel smart I read TPM, when I want to feel dumb I read AZ." ~ Thom Burr

Atma
Farting Nudist
Member # 689

Member Rated:
posted 08-09-2001 09:43 PM      Profile for Atma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
<--- has no social life IRL.

But on the net, I don't bother to deny it in non-pokemon channels. If someone is too stupid to understand that Pokemon is NOT for little kids, that's their problem, not mine.

- - - - -
"My name is Atma...
I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.
Forgotten in the river of time...
I've had an eternity to ponder the meaning of things...
And now I have an answer..."

From: Cinnabar Isle, Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Pokegod
Farting Nudist
Member # 977

posted 08-09-2001 11:47 PM      Profile for Pokegod     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fish151PKMN:

Only if I find out that they like it or are moderately interested.

Yep

Do you say you only like it a little?obviously a lie)

nope

not really

Myself, I'll tell someone if they ask.
Of course, everyone at my school knows, because I am blessed with friends who have big mouths.

As am I, except those people aren't my friends, they're just a bunch of jerks.

hell no

Do they ask you why?
Sometimes, I just say its a strategy game

Sometimes I get remarks that are along those lines. If they do, I point out whatever gay thing they like.

Again, sometimes. I just ignore them, or do the above.

Image? What image? lol Only a couple girls I know (ugly annoying ones) constantly pester about it, so its not ruined, it was made that way to start with

A collection of random quotes of people talking about Pokemon:

"So, is Pokemon a boy or a girl?"
-The two annoying uglies I mentioned, bugging me as usual

"Pokemon is a dumb game, all you do is walk around and find things"
-A kid on my bus ride

"look! he's playing Pokemon!"
-the two stupid uglies again, when I was browsing azureheights message board in the computer lab

"Wow! I didn't know older kids liked Pokemon."
-Some little kid that walked up to me while I was playing Silver

I'll twade you fowe stawyoo's for chawmeleon, you shouwd twade becawse fiwre is weak against watahw!
-a card trade I overheard taking place on the bus

"whats the strongest Pokemon?"
-just about anyone mildly interested

"whats the weakest Pokemon?"
-same people

"hahaha! I beat you! you suck you suck you suck!"
-my "friend" who used level 255's to win, I beat his Missingno. with the help of some barriers on my 100 Mewtwo, but his 255 cloyster used blizzard and I didn't know about special being the defense for special attacks

"HOLY SHIT! Good thing you aren't fighting my brother or he'd be pissed!
-the above person's older brother, getting his starter and legendary, but HM and double move type filled team swept by Molly Nut Bomb. This fight took place after I joined azure boards, obviously

I could care less what anyone thinks about me liking Pokemon, so I am not afraid to move up a few seats in the bus so I can trade Pokemon with a youngun'. Too bad it rarely happens anyway...

[edit: I screwed up]
[edit2: I thought of a new one]

[ 08-09-2001: Message edited by: Pokegod ]

[ 08-09-2001: Message edited by: Pokegod ]

- - - - -
Pokegod... yeah, that won't look dumb in 10 years

From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
gruco
I am Ian Garvey's lovechild.
Member # 1645

Member Rated:
posted 08-10-2001 03:31 PM      Profile for gruco        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like this thread. Very good that it was revived.

I'm very open about liking Pokemon. I don't wear the clothes or anything, but I did have a nice big Gotta catch 'em all poster in my dorm room last year. Of course, even if I wanted to, I doubt I could hide it. I spent my whole fall break last year playing silver, and my friends see me going to sites or PBS from time to time. The main reason people know I like Pokemon though, is that I tend to have a very short fuse when people speak ignorantly on the subject. In 12th grade, my Chem teacher made some offhanded comment and I ended up lecturing the whole class. What I really hate is having to explain that Pokemon is a video game at heart though. So few people know that, it's depressing. I've tried to explain the battle concepts to some of my friends IRL. Some are vaugely interested, others aren't.

Even on gaming forums I post at though, just about everyone looks down upon it. They just see it as a stupid kiddie game. Nobody understands the depth and strategy behing the multiplayer game. There's one site I post at a good bit, and I've been arguing the finer points of Pokemon there for the past few years. I think I'm starting to get through to some people, but others just don't want to listen.

I wish I could take Atma's stance, where if they don't understand, it's their loss. It'd save me a lot of time at least. But still, it bothers me to see people hate something they don't understand. I like trying to educate people about the game, even if I do a shitty job of it. Hopefully I've changd some minds along the way...*shrug*

As for the question about whether or not I get a hard time...well, not really. Most people just see it as a personality quirk, or a part of who I am. Which is how they should see it, I believe. I'm not about to hide a part of who I am, and anyone who wants to judge you for something something so trivial isn't worth worrying about. I guess I'm fortunate not to have met any people lik that.

Mentar the Malady Monkey
worst username ever
Member # 1182

Member Rated:
posted 08-11-2001 01:38 AM      Profile for Mentar the Malady Monkey   Email Mentar the Malady Monkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Me? If I have to tell anyone about my hobbies or anything, I just calmly say...

"I am one of those Pokemon freaks, who knows every equation, every attack, etc."

Of course, I'm also careful to let them know that I hate the card game and TV show.

- - - - -
WHAT.

From: Pandemonium, HL, Hades | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Fish
Farting Nudist
Member # 267

Member Rated:
posted 08-11-2001 01:40 AM      Profile for Fish     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow, this thread's funny.

I had just been voted senior prom king at my high school, and just wanted to know how some of the other Azurian folk got around in the real world.

Hoo hah, I was an idiot when I posted this...

- - - - -
Bullshit.

Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 08-12-2001 10:10 PM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I certainly don't flaunt my liking of Pokémon (my small collection of Pokémon-related stuff stays in my room) but I don't try to hide it either. I'm finishing high school next year, and I've played Blue and Silver in the halls a lot. I don't get teased for it, I'm usually just ignored. It seems everybody knows, though. I was informed of a conversation that went on about my little obsession, between a group of people I either didn't know or only knew their names... They didn't understand why I liked it so much, but their general concensus was that I'd go on to create the next generation of games and become filthy stinking rich. No problem there, ne?

Anyway, my best friend isn't a fanatic, but he's played long enough to understand most of my ramblings. ^_^ Too bad he doesn't play anymore. And his circle of friends that I'm working my way into don't seem to mind either. Which is good. (Best time to tell someone you're a die hard Pokémon fanatic is when she's reading a Harry Potter book.) He and his girlfriend don't mind being featured in my fanfiction, either. I was happy when they agreed (I wasn't sure if they would) 'cause most of my dearest friends, online or off, are in there.
~Uiru

- - - - -
TIDUDSOFIEIHUGHEXXXC: "maybe he will let you touch his blow up do"

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

From: the floating castle of Newfoundland | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
MidgetSnowman
Farting Nudist
Member # 1400

Member Rated:
posted 08-13-2001 03:36 AM      Profile for MidgetSnowman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
eh, Im a semi-known Pokefreak among the townspeople. Some of the other high school kids consider it gay, but we Pokefreaks have carved a small 3-4 table area of the Cafeteria where we gather and plot. although only 1-2 have any real potential, we try our best to educate the newbie hordes. On the other fronts of it, everyone in town I know is either also a fan, or accepts my liking of it. My parents, who also dislike censorship and actually SUPPORT my addiction ot anime DVDs and Pokemon are quite helpful too.

as for the Local pokemon community, Im one of the top ranking local TCG players, the most feared Link Battler in town (im the only one who hangs out online ^_^). and Have a small collection of Pokemon toys and gadgets in my room, along with my manga collection and my Card Captor Sakura Dolls

- - - - -
cuz otherwise i'm insanely obese, have no friends, and wet my ebd. on top of it i farm pigs in malaysia, and strip for strange men and nickles.

From: Sedalia,MO, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
OrientalNoodle
Farting Nudist
Member # 616

Member Rated:
posted 08-18-2001 04:07 PM      Profile for OrientalNoodle   Author's Homepage   Email OrientalNoodle   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

No, but it shows. I have a Pokémon-towel (with a big PEEEKACHOW on it, agh) that I use in P.E., I play Gold or Red on my GBC on breaks, I have pokémon-posters... Also, last year I drew a Koffing and put it on my Finnish classroom's wall. Somebody stole it. I drew another one. Somebody stole that too. I drew the third one, and put a text next to it: "He who steals this, will be hung from his balls. If you are a girl: I'll figure something up."

Also last year: w0wz0rz, I got a drawing request from this cute girl who's two years younger than me (I'm 17 now, was 16 then) to draw Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Charmander

Yes I do.

No.

Not in hell.

Eh?

Now, if you do tell people, what do they think? Do they say,"Awwww, that's cute?"

Yes, one girl did. Too bad that she was uglier than... than... Mr. Mime.

Do they ask you why?

Not usually.

"That's a children's show" is what I hear the most. Maybe I should try to remember the damage formula and tell them a bit about that.

Naah...

My image is "a fucked up and funny guy", so it is a part my image :P

Also, one more funny thing:

Again the last year. My mother is a teacher in a school that only has grades 1 to 4 (which means 7 to 10-year-old kids in Finnish schools). One day, when she came home, she told me that one 7-year-old kid had run up to her on a break and asked: "Is it true that your son invented pokémon?"

In February, I will be in the oldest class of my high school, which is in the same building as basic school grades 7-9 (13 to 15-year-olds, my high school 16 to 18-year-olds). Then I'll be as much pokémon as I like, because no-one can give me shit about it (Not that I'd hide my Pokémon-fanaticism (Eh) now...).

Long live Pokémon.

And sorry from bringing the old topic back, but I just had to reply

- - - - -
Me: "...I've also spoken with Ian Garvey via IRC..."
Tyranitar: "Wow! You mean you have spoken with The Master?"

From: Hanko, -, Finland | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
oporaca
Farting Nudist
Member # 922

Member Rated:
posted 08-18-2001 05:19 PM      Profile for oporaca     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't flaunt it, mostly because everyone already knows, and thanks to that, the last few years have been a living hell for me.

A bit of background: Most kids at my school (junior-high) are either super-popular jocks that think they're living in the show Friends (Rumor has it that one kid used to have six girlfriends... at once) or else they're huge anime fans that spend too much time playing more violent games that they never get the chance to learn any strategy.

It doesn't help that my best friend, who I always hang around with, is also a fan of Pokemon, known to the whole school as unpopular, sworn against MTV, gay (which he isn't), and stupid (which he also isn't - he's a genius, which is pretty clear seeing as he hates MTV.) Did I forget to mention that he and I are the prime target for six or seven students, all a year older than us, that annoy us to no end, think Pokemon is for little kids, keep on claiming that Pikachu beat Gyarados in the anime, never leave, and that I'm his only protection from them?

Thank goodness that they've just graduated.

Only problem is, now we've got to deal with Darrin, a bad Pokemon trainer that was friends with us earlier, BEFORE he got held back a year.

His specialty? Sleep and OHKO techniques, especially Hypnosis.

As for girlfriends, don't make me laugh, only the popular kids have them. Even though I could treat them better than their existing (perverted) boyfriends and I'm the school genius, by student consensus.

Maybe that's one reason kids hate me, they're scared of smart people. ^_^;

- - - - -
I'm a closet Pokémon fan -- all evidence I like Pokémon is locked away in my closet.

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.