The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Onix Annex   » Azure Pokemon Center   » ALL pokémon and ALL moves are...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ALL pokémon and ALL moves are...
The Great Dreamer
Farting Nudist
Member # 117

Member Rated:
posted 05-13-2000 01:22 AM      Profile for The Great Dreamer   Email The Great Dreamer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
...USEFUL, none of them "suck", to say a certain pokémon sucks or a certain move sucks is to be unaware of how to use it effectively and exploit it's potential.
I know is difficult to find a use for certain moves or pokés but with enough research it can be done.
To say that a certain move/poké sucks is taking the easy way but it is those who explore the difficult paths that find treasures to exploit before the croud follows. This is a training phillosophy that will rewards trainers with plump victories instead of hollow and dry ones.
Once secrets discovered, you may keep them secret or revealed them as you choose, but you will always know that you discovered a certain secret or unlocked a weapon concept for yourself and this will make the path traveled worth while.

------------------
"The Great Dreamer Has Written..."
-Luis The Bard, The Great Dreamer-

From: Las Vegas were everyone uses Mimic & Metronome! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
BiG GULP 44oz
Farting Nudist
Member # 281

Rate Member
posted 05-13-2000 01:37 AM      Profile for BiG GULP 44oz   Email BiG GULP 44oz   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
do I hear an echo in here? everybody thinks Im dumb for giving only damage causing moves to my pokemon but while they are powering up I hammering away at them

------------------
where does a snorlax sit?

anywhere he wants

From: Carmichael,CA,usa | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 05-13-2000 01:39 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have to disagree.

I love Koffing, but he sucks. He can put up a fight if there are no high Special guys around, but he still sucks. Unquestionably.

And Vine Whip and Water Gun suck. They're just krappy moves, and every Pokemon who learns them can learn a better move of the same type.

They're just numbers and some numbers are lower than others...and that makes them suck.

------------------
KOFFING!
Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Great Dreamer
Farting Nudist
Member # 117

Member Rated:
posted 05-13-2000 02:02 AM      Profile for The Great Dreamer   Email The Great Dreamer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Big Gulp, that's right, like JKD find the way that is right for you.

Mr. K, koffin can be used for tactical movesets if you also carry a weezing under Stadium/Nintendo tournament rules.
If there are 2 concepts that you want that you want to carry that only the koffin family has, a koffin can be used to carry that second concept, personaly I make sure that unevoled pokémon always carry what I call a "non-combat" concept, basically a concept that doesn't depend on that poké to survive an attack in order to pull it's combo off. Right now I am experimenting on the field with a paras besides a parasect in my team, I have paras take over the Spore bit after my parasect and just Slash away instead of Leech Life, why no Leech Life? Because IMO is a waste since any tournament poké can spit on him and it'll die. Slash gives me the Criticals I need for the hits to become decent and with a skillfull Sleeping game control, you can waste all the Spore you want, take out couple of pokés out or snooz 'em if not more(has happened before) and then move the cavalry in for the kill. Is working really good for now.
Soon, I'll start using kakunas and metapods as a "switching" pokémon, I plan to team up 3 of these rather harmless pokémon and three natural fast ones with an elemental matching game of most if not all offensive moves, when I want to switch, I bring the poor poké out, it dies and then I bring another one without being hit "Oh no, you killed my magikarp! You bastard!" but this can also be done with other pokémon so I still have to think about it...but I'll figure out something if I put enough effort into it.
As for Water Gun and Vine Whip, I think and use those as Tackles of their own element, they are not Tackle but with different element, I know, but I use them like that, haven't been able to play with in in the field because I've been to excited about my paras working and preparing the switching pokémon concept trying to make it work, but, I'll get to it....

------------------

From: Las Vegas were everyone uses Mimic & Metronome! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 05-13-2000 02:10 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You haven't addressed the issue, tho.

You can find a use for some moves. You can even use Magikarp if all you want is something to get killed.

But that doesn't mean Magikarp doesn't suck and that doesn't mean Tackle isn't a sucky move.

I want to believe otherwise, and the show tries to tell you otherwise, but it's not a happy little world where if you just try hard enough, anything is possible.

Koffing sucks, Tackle sucks, Magikarp sucks...they all can be used, obviously, but they still suck.

No question about it.

------------------
KOFFING!

[This message has been edited by Mr. K (edited 05-13-2000).]

The Great Dreamer
Farting Nudist
Member # 117

Member Rated:
posted 05-13-2000 02:35 AM      Profile for The Great Dreamer   Email The Great Dreamer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mr K, I don't watch the show, is dumb IMO.
I haven't played with koffins so I cannot provide you with that concept(s) to proove my piont about koffins, I'm was just trying to proove the concept of doing so.
Magikarps are pretty bad, but they do have a purpose, I just have to find out what.
It's not even a good switching pokémon because the opponent can use the time to power up, while with the cocoons and caterpillars you can at least slow them down with String Shots.
Tackle is good...under the right circumstances. Tackle's strength lies on the masive PP it has, I have personally used tackle against PP draining pokémon and have worked well, I've also used it to beat on juggernauts when I happen not to pack Haze on my team (people will copy anything, withing 2 weeks 5 trainers had juggernauts, sheesh!) and with the right strength I saved alot of PPs and downloaded all my tackles to soften and often kill those juggernauts, this is when I had that phillosophy about moves but not pokés and was trying to proove my point. The thing is that not every battle will have a use for this move, I rather use Tackles than Body Slam in THIS case, I don't have a random and possibly unwanted side effect at the moment and I don't want the PPs to go out the door trying to stop a juggernaut or a PP sponge that pokes at you every turn. But, in only these 2 cases have I found a use for Tackle.
Is just a matter of thinking about different situations. Suck, in my definition, means useless, wich mean by my definition just that and that is incorrect. I mean, sure I can use a spoon to dig, but I rather discover a use for it in something completely unrelated to digging...eating, so in that particular situation I rather use a spoon to eat my Peanut Butter Crunch than my shovel. Is a matter of relativity of situation, that's all this phillosophy is saying.

------------------

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 05-13-2000 02:54 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
OK, so in your extremely narrow definition of the word "suck", even Splash doesn't suck, since it can be used to drain PP.

If you're going to define suck that way, we might as well not even have the word, since nothing is completely useless in absolutely every situation.

However, if you define "suck" the way 99.6% of the population would, you cannot deny that Splash sucks.

As long as you're making up your own definitions, tho, you are correct, in your own little world.

..and there's a "g" on the end of Koffing...when a person spells it correctly, that is.

------------------
KOFFING!

The Great Dreamer
Farting Nudist
Member # 117

Member Rated:
posted 05-13-2000 06:30 PM      Profile for The Great Dreamer   Email The Great Dreamer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mr K, thanks for correcting the spelling of koffing.
On another note, for every word there is a dictionary definition so people stick with the norm, but even dictionaries definitions are relative in itself. The truth is that all words have relative meaning.
Slang words do not have a dictionary to try to set the relative meaning to a default so is easy for everyone to comunicate.
So, the slang term "suck" is relative.
In this case I presented how I define it.
Whenever is my own little word or not is irrelevant for we all live inmour own little world and like others whose own reality is similar to ours so we don't subcounciously feel insecure and we tend to despise those whose little world are different from ours because we do not understand and are not used to that world. Now if we ask alot of people about the definition of the slang term "suck" when used to describe a pokémon or a move they, like you said, will say 99% of the time that it means useless...then ask them what is their definition of useless, 99.99999% they'll say that it means that it simply cannot be used(incorrect) OR the more intelligent ones will say it cannot be used EFFECTIVELY, then you ask them what is their definition of effectively, they'll either tell you the normal definition or refer you to the dictionary wich basically says it cannot be used correctly(relative), poor choice to meet a specific goal(relative) ect, ect...My definition of "suck" is like everyone's. Something that "sucks" is something that has little or no use for the purpose of the game. My point is that a pokémon or move that is usually labeled with "suck" can BECOME effective and not "suck" if used with it's full potential and this used can be put to work for you using skill.
If enough effort, imagination and research is put to it, all pokémon and all moves DO-NOT-SUCK...this is what I am saying.

------------------

The Great Dreamer
Farting Nudist
Member # 117

Member Rated:
posted 05-13-2000 06:36 PM      Profile for The Great Dreamer   Email The Great Dreamer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
...oh, and almost forggot, Splash, as far as I can tell, is just for taunts wich if used properly can make your opponent loose it's cool and is the greatest weapon to zap morale.

------------------

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 05-14-2000 08:24 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I couldn't make it thru your diatribe with your punctuation, grammar, and spelling, but your point is inane.

You've redefined the term "suck", so now you say nothing sucks.

That's just silly.

Change the rules and you can make any statement be true, but that has no meaning.

I do understand the point you're trying to make, but even that is silly. Yes, you can use Metapod to Harden, but any other Pokemon that can learn Harden can do it better. The concept of a "switching" Pokemon is just silly.

Some Pokemon and some moves are just not useful. Splash as a taunt is interesting, but it'll still get you killed. If you want to define "useful" as something other than something that helps you win, well, then you're technically correct, but you're also being silly.

I understand your point, but you're at best harping on a triviality and at worst just flat out wrong.

We all speak the same language and we all know what "suck" means. Trying to redefine it on a technicality is just being pedantic.

------------------
KOFFING!

starCaliber
is evil and also MewtwoSama
Member # 268

Member Rated:
posted 05-14-2000 09:15 PM      Profile for starCaliber   Email starCaliber   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, I like the big words that Mr. K uses. They are also correct in my opinion (and thanks for pointing out his Koffing misspelling, that was driving me CRAZY while I was reading this post).

------------------
Being frozen solid is going to make this a one-sided fight.

From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
No-BS PiccoloNamek
Farting Nudist
Member # 151

Member Rated:
posted 05-15-2000 01:42 PM      Profile for No-BS PiccoloNamek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
everybody thinks Im dumb for giving only damage causing moves to my pokemon but
while they are powering up I hammering away at them

And how are you going to be "hammering away" at something that's done 6 Double teams? or Minimizes? How will you be hammering away when you're sleeping? Huh? Lamer? Little boy?

You are dumb. You'll be crying for mommy when you're Paralyzed and confused. (Magneton) or Sleeping against a Pokemon with an Attack of 999 (Parasect with Swords Dance)

Strategy moves are nessasary, imo. But a newbie like you wouldn't understand.

*Uses sleep powder preventing Big gulp from pounding away, then uses Substitute, and leech seed, and kills Big gulp after solar beaming and leech seeding him*

------------------
Vote Libertarian.
Vote for our freedom.

Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 05-15-2000 07:13 PM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'd really like to battle you, TGD.

------------------
There is nothing like the fragrance...of a Koffing.

The Great Dreamer
Farting Nudist
Member # 117

Member Rated:
posted 05-15-2000 08:26 PM      Profile for The Great Dreamer   Email The Great Dreamer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mr. K, what I'm trying to present is just concepts and the idea of discovering new tactics and such in unexplored areas and that is not silly. To find a way to use the apparently unusable have won many a contest.
Ofcourse I wouldn't use Harden on a real battle, but by thinking on how to use it came the switching idea, sacrifice a pokémon so another may live. Then I was thinking that instead of this cocoon pokémon I could do that with any, but the idea came from trying to find a use for what is considered useless. My deffinition of suck was defined and you're right, nothing really sucks, something is either usable to your knowledge or unusable to your knowledge but what makes it useful or not is the knowledge you have.
However somethings are better to use in certain situations than others, so, I think this is what you mean.

Piccolo, the mere fact that you have resulted to judge me and move into insults instead of attending the argument at hand only prooves that you must likely that your mouth is so full of yourself that you have to resolve talking through your anus.
Unless you have something to contribute to this discussion(like Mr. K, he doesn't like me but he is mature enough to debate with me without resolving to flames) I do not want to deal with your ignorant ramblings of your fevered imagination.

Rolken, when Pokémon X comes out to the US we'll be able to, I can't wait to show my point of view through actions instead of an exchange of smack talk...

------------------

Mick_Hale
Total Moron
Member # 419

Member Rated:
posted 05-15-2000 10:20 PM      Profile for Mick_Hale   Email Mick_Hale   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I dunno, Great Dreamer. I kinda got lost at some point in your philosophy of words, but then again, English is my worst subject.
The point is that though every move and Pokémon has its strong and weak points, some have weak points that are thoroughly outweighed by the strong points and vice versa. It's like comparing Explosion to Splash, Mewtwo to Weedle, yada yada yada. If we define the word "suck" by your definition, then we do not leave space to say that any move or Pokémon sucks, not even Splash or Weedle.
We could take the easy way out by playing with levels, for example you'll see for my signature a pathetic battle. But if it's a level 1 Mewtwo and a level 100 weedle, then it's somewhat possible. But if you're dealing with all level 100 Pokémon , then you run into problems. Switching Pokémon in tournaments will get you nowhere. Me and my friend are planning for a Pokémon tournament here, and we are planning our teams to a great extent. I can assure you that I will not use Pokémon that suck by my standard. You will never find a Weedle on my team. It would be blasphemy to have him on a team with my All-Powerful Mewtwo. (That is considering that my All-Powerful Mewtwo isn't in my posession just yet.)
Also, I would like to comment on your offensive strategy. I'm a very offensive player, but even I know that offense doesn't always win the battle. Sometimes you need that extra reflect or thunder wave. It's just the way the play balance works. If I send out my Zapdos and you send out your Jolteon, the first chance I get, I would thunder wave you just to get a good chance at paralysis. It'll slow you down and even if you switch Pokémon I'll be at an advantage when you switch back to that Jolteon.
So all in all, while I feel that it is not necessary to undermine your intelligence, I still think that you need some serious practise in Stadium. If you don't have it, get it. It'll change your views very quickly. Just wait until you get to Giovanni's Persian (which took me an incredible amount of tries. I got lucky with a critical from Ice Beam).

------------------
Love all this insanity...
Go, Weedle!
Go, Mewtwo!
Mewtwo uses psychic!
Critical Hit!
It's Super Effective!
Weedle uses poison sting!
It's not very effective!
Mewtwo faints!
hehehehehe

From: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Great Dreamer
Farting Nudist
Member # 117

Member Rated:
posted 05-15-2000 10:46 PM      Profile for The Great Dreamer   Email The Great Dreamer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I yet have to find a use for the caterpillars and cocoons that their last evolutions cannot do...maybe there's a psychological use for them....underestimation?

------------------

TeeJay
Farting Nudist
Member # 265

Member Rated:
posted 05-15-2000 10:53 PM      Profile for TeeJay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't know if this has already been posted cause I'm too lazy to read all this.
YOU'RE AN IDIOT. Imagine this. Take a Boxer and take a Butterfly. They fight. Guess who will win? The butterfly can't win. It has no physical strength and no weapons or defense.

Now, take a Mewtwo, and take a team of Magikarps. Catch my drift?

------------------
Smile, it will be the last time you do once you fight me -TeeJay

From: Overland Park, Kansas, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Anthrax
Ultimate Authoritative Power in the Universe
Member # 335

Member Rated:
posted 05-15-2000 11:01 PM      Profile for Anthrax   Author's Homepage   Email Anthrax   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
But no one ever suspects THE BUTTERFLY!

------------------
Anthrax
[]D (()) |< e /\/\ (()) []\[]

From: Somebody put shit in my pants! | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Great Dreamer
Farting Nudist
Member # 117

Member Rated:
posted 05-15-2000 11:34 PM      Profile for The Great Dreamer   Email The Great Dreamer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
TeeJay, I am not saying to use these weak pokémon for direct fights but for tactical uses and psychological warefare in battle, but you would know that I said that by now if you didn't have your HEAD so far up your ASS...

If you do not anything to contribute to the argument in a mature manner, go back to being lazy and don't waste my time...

------------------

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 05-16-2000 12:11 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The sad thing is, I actually want to believe what the Dreamer says.

Anyone who knows me or how I play knows I want every Pokemon to be useful, in their own way. But they're not.

I use Koffing because I am a sentimental sap, but I wouldn't begin to try and tell anyone he doesn't suck.

Yeah, he can be effective with Explosion, but there's nothing he can do that Weezing can't do better...and Weezing's not all that great either.

But as sentimental as I am, even I don't take it to the extreme. I force myself to use only one Pokemon of each type. And as much as I love my Magikarp, I don't use him in tourney matches.

It'd just be ridiculous to do so and expect to have a sporting chance. It'd also ridiculous to assert that I just haven't figured out what Magikarp's hidden talents are...I mean, OK, he's kinda fast...so he can Tackle you really fast. Big deal. He just sucks, there's no getting around it.

I love him more than some of my toughest Pokemon, but he just flat out sucks and there is no getting around it. It's not even fun to play with him, because he just dies in one hit.

I think the show is (sometimes) great and I could watch Ash in the Pokemon League episodes a dozen more times and still enjoy the opening and closing ceremonies, because I am a sucker for the metaphor and the whole "if you just try, you can beat the odds" schtick, but it's just not how it works in the game, no matter how much I want to believe it.

The other topic I want to believe in is the all-out offensive strategy. But it just doesn't work. At the very least, you need offensive defense moves like Thunder Wave or Confuse Ray to survive.

A friggin Clefaggot took out half my team today because it got to Minimize 6 times, while it occasionally took breaks to put my Snorlax to sleep. After that, the game was over (because Koffing v1.0 does not have Haze).

I still use an almost completely offensive strategy and it does work now and then, but in the general case, without some sort of status/statistic-altering attacks, you'll never beat a decent trainer.

------------------
KOFFING!

[This message has been edited by Mr. K (edited 05-16-2000).]

The Great Dreamer
Farting Nudist
Member # 117

Member Rated:
posted 05-16-2000 12:37 AM      Profile for The Great Dreamer   Email The Great Dreamer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fanha, I hate the show, I think it should be tied up and shot in the backyard IMO.
I know the game is about numbers but there is also a chaos variable to it, a mind game field to play with. Because Vine Whip is the poorest Plant move doesn't make it suckie, watch what I have discovered with Vine Whip:
The most value I have found with this move is with tangelas wich do not have the luxury of Razor Leaf...
Vine Whip
Mega Drain
Growth
Sleep Powder

I use Vine Whip when at full HP therefore saving me PP and use the Whip to deal the damage without wasting Mega Drain's ability to heal. I've tested this with couple of people and it works well, it is usefull in battle. I know it's not Tobybro or anything fantastic but it prooves that Vine Whip can be used effectively on tournament level if what you're looking for is a strong Plant damage offensive. I don't give it Solar Beam because it is too slow, I could give it a Normal offensive move but it doesn't get the elemental bonus and the point is a strong Plant offensive. After thinking through many point of views from everyone, I found something valuable, only mature pokémon are usefull in the sense of tournament play.
The only unevolved pokémon that I will be experimenting with their usefulness is pokés whose type changes when they evole(eevees, dragonairs, charmeleons, nidorinas, nodorinos) and see if it makes a difference on the damage they recieve.
Ex:
I will start testing to see if dragonairs take as much damage from ice as dragonites who take ungodly damage because they are flying.

About the offensive strategy thing, I was refering in using that tactic for your whole team or thinking that tactic is superior to more in depth strategies. That's why I was raking victories on the Vegas '99 tour, everyone was playing Elemental Matching Game, and they payed for it.
The only Elemental Matching Game pokémon I had was my mew2, but I didn't solely depend on the EMG.
My 1st mew2:
Blizzard
Thunder Bolt
Submission
Psychic

This mew2 always died, but by the time it happened the opponent didn't have much of a team left if it didn't raided all of it...

Also pokémon like kangaskhans are good, IMO, for EMG. Sorry if I caused the wrong impression for that was not my intention to say that ANY EMG tactics suck...

------------------

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 05-17-2000 02:36 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Vine Whip sucks in multiplayer.

The only time it should be used is after Solarbeam and MegaDrain are put on a monster that for some ludicrous reason NEEDS another grass attack.

Switching monster? This might look good:

Beasty versus WeaktoBeasty
Exchange WeaktoBeasty for Kakuna
Beasty kills Kakuna
(no great loss, Kakuna sucked)
Bring in StrongtoBeasty

How about this:

Beasty versus WeaktoBeasty
Exchange WeaktoBeasty for SomethingUseful

Beasty kills SomethingUseful
--OR--
Beasty screws up SomethingUseful
SomethingUseful screws up Beasty
Beasty kills SomethingUseful

Bring in StrongtoBeasty

Which looks better to you? Besides, if you lose both your good monsters, wouldn't you rather have SomethingUseful than Kakuna?

Basically you have said:
"I use weak monsters so I feel obligated to switch them in, and don't feel bad about it, because they weren't going to contribute anyway".

You have three SLOTS in tournament play. You have to make the SLOTS count, and this is done by filling them with good monsters.

Kakuna and Metapod are inexcusable. Beedrill and Butterfree *almost* are too.

I don't use "intimidation" to try to win. I prefer a high special

Seriously though, trying to play mind games isn't that effective, and you certainly shouldn't waste a monster slot on something just to screw with them.

Mr. K, recall that two Hi Jump Kicks missed as well, after only ONE minimize. A little but of multiplication shows that the odds of that occuring were quite low (still has nothing on that REST thing, though). Right around 10%, right? And the odds of most of my Clefaggot's sing's working (I think I used five, and only one failed) are also through the floor.

By all rights, Lee should have connected ONCE. That would have won the match for you, pretty much.

------------------
-cfalcon

"Thanks for deleting the post, cfalcon!"
-UBB Automessage

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Great Dreamer
Farting Nudist
Member # 117

Member Rated:
posted 05-17-2000 06:33 PM      Profile for The Great Dreamer   Email The Great Dreamer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
True, true, some concepts can be done in better ways...but not all unevolved pokemon are useless...paras is my first discovery in a tourney enviroment, I'm looking for more though....

------------------

KeroKato
Farting Nudist
Member # 230

Member Rated:
posted 05-17-2000 10:14 PM      Profile for KeroKato   Author's Homepage   Email KeroKato   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BiG GULP 44oz:
do I hear an echo in here? everybody thinks Im dumb for giving only damage causing moves to my pokemon but while they are powering up I hammering away at them

Tee-hee! Fool, all attacks would be lost to just Double Team or Recover. How ya supposed to kill 'em if they can't die? Against any competent player, you need some status affect. C'mon, we aren't playing against five year olds here, unless it's just for kicks.

------------------
Reality's End, do you have anything better to do? Oh, you do. Well then, er, still go!

From: I dunno, somewhere | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 05-17-2000 10:43 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cfalcon:
Seriously though, trying to play mind games isn't that effective, and you certainly shouldn't waste a monster slot on something just to screw with them.

I mostly agree with this, but I must say that using Wiggly does have psychological advantages. People don't take him as seriously as they should, and sometimes they're a little slack because of it.

In one match, a guy was so surprised at how tough Wiggly was that he panicked and used Disable on him, trying to get rid of Body Slam, which was devastating his team. (He got Sing instead...HA-ha!)

But of course, that only works because Wiggly has the HP and attacks to back it up. It would be surprising to see a Kakuna in battle, but...then what?

Kinda like in the tourney when people were surprised to see Koffing. Well, yeah, it was a jolt, but it didn't actually prevent them from killing him in one shot.

quote:
Mr. K, recall that two Hi Jump Kicks missed as well, after only ONE minimize. A little but of multiplication shows that the odds of that occuring were quite low (still has nothing on that REST thing, though).

True, but not many people have a Fighting Pokemon either, so you probably would have had least 2 turns to set up.

But, yes, I see your point.

However, a Double Teaming Gengar with Hypnosis and Confuse Ray could probably easily wipe out my whole team.

------------------
KOFFING!

Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 05-17-2000 10:58 PM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Dreamer:

This mew2 always died, but by the time it happened the opponent didn't have much of a team left if it didn't raided all of it...

The point is not that it couldn't work; after all, that's a lot better than most teams I see around Plano.

The point is that the moveset doesn't reach the full potential of the Pokémon, and that it could still be better.

------------------
There is nothing like the fragrance...of a Koffing.

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.