The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Onix Annex   » Azure Pokemon Center   » Spoiling G/S

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spoiling G/S
starCaliber
is evil and also MewtwoSama
Member # 268

Member Rated:
posted 05-09-2000 10:37 PM      Profile for starCaliber   Email starCaliber   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why is everyone so eager to play unreadable imports (not to mention paying QUITE the pretty penny) or crappy half-translated emulators of Pokemon Gold and Silver? You guys are spoiling the game for yourself. I think Pokemon is a cool experience, and I wanna be able to FULLY experience Gold and Silver the FIRST time around. Oh yeah, then maybe a little cheating later. :-)

But seriously, why does everyone wanna destroy the experience of the next Pokemon game? I mean, it's one thing to read about it...but playing through the whole thing before it's even released here? I dunno...And you don't even get to keep the Pokemon on them now. They stay on their Japanese game/emulator home. Back me up on this one.

------------------
Being frozen solid is going to make this a one-sided fight.

From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Scyther7164
Farting Nudist
Member # 382

Rate Member
posted 05-09-2000 10:39 PM      Profile for Scyther7164     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
StarCaliber has a point there. Why would you want to waste a lot of money just to have G/S before the others. It might be slightly understandable if they were readable, but they're not! I don't get it either.

------------------
"No parties, no shindigs, no hootenannies, no box socials." -Marge Simpson

Visit The Simpsons.com.

Buzz Buzz
Farting Nudist
Member # 71

Member Rated:
posted 05-09-2000 10:40 PM      Profile for Buzz Buzz   Author's Homepage   Email Buzz Buzz   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"When G/S was only out in Japanese, why, I had a max stat Eefi..."

Zip a dee doo dah day. No one's gonna care, as you won't be able to use it.

------------------
-Buzz Buzz
Webmaster of Magneton's World

Dark Jaguar
Farting Nudist
Member # 187

Member Rated:
posted 05-10-2000 12:54 AM      Profile for Dark Jaguar   Email Dark Jaguar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You assume people here don't know Japanese (and most probably don't). I would import myself, but I'm waiting until I learn Japanese, it'll take a while if my learning of Greek is any guide (I still suck at that language so don't ask for translations).

------------------
Welcome to DJ Inc., where everything is JUST fine.

Slo Migs
Farting Nudist
Member # 110

Member Rated:
posted 05-10-2000 03:12 AM      Profile for Slo Migs   Author's Homepage   Email Slo Migs   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Trust me. Learning Japanese is just about the hardest thing in the world. Not only do you have to learn the language, but you have to learn three different sets of writing! I've been taking it for the past semester and I'm still unable to do much with what I've learned.

As far as I can tell, katakana is used to write american/foreign words in Japanese, Hiragana is used to write japanese words and relationals. Finally, kanji (which is almost impossible to learn, at least in my experience) is used to represent commonly used verbs and nouns.

Hiragana, i've got a pretty good grasp of, katakana I still have trouble reading and kanji....man you have to learn a new character for every word that there is! Very very tough. I'm waiting for the domestic release as well.

All I can do right now is read their names. Heh

------------------
"It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's just fun"

[This message has been edited by Slo Migs (edited 05-10-2000).]

From: Los Angeles, California | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ravashack
Farting Nudist
Member # 128

Member Rated:
posted 05-10-2000 04:25 PM      Profile for Ravashack     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Kanji's fun. *evil grin* Just think how *I* feel learning Chinese characters (which is what Kanji pretty much is) for 12 years.

------------------

TeeJay
Farting Nudist
Member # 265

Member Rated:
posted 05-10-2000 04:35 PM      Profile for TeeJay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't know. I had a pretty overwhelming experience when I slapped my Gold game into my Game Boy and turned it on. As you'll discover, readibility isn't that big. You can understand all the essentials. I figured out what each item was by the numbers in the descriptions. I have created my own little translation guide for moves, items, and Pokemon. Is there anything else I really need? Honestly, when was the last time you actually took the time to read what the Elite Four had to say.

------------------
Smile, it will be the last time you do once you fight me -TeeJay

From: Overland Park, Kansas, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Argo
Farting Nudist
Member # 49

Member Rated:
posted 05-10-2000 07:13 PM      Profile for Argo   Email Argo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TeeJay:
I don't know. I had a pretty overwhelming experience when I slapped my Gold game into my Game Boy and turned it on. As you'll discover, readibility isn't that big. You can understand all the essentials. I figured out what each item was by the numbers in the descriptions. I have created my own little translation guide for moves, items, and Pokemon. Is there anything else I really need? Honestly, when was the last time you actually took the time to read what the Elite Four had to say.

Exactly...after playing the game for 7 months....i play the game just like r/b/y....and answer yes to everything!

------------------
AIM:Argothian Wurm
"Cut gives the Grass-type a chance versus Fire-types"
-Nintendo Power

"Falcon..PUNCH!"
-cfalcon

"It's gonna be a Psybro!"
-Ash

-Argo,professional Mewtwo killer..

From: new york,NY,USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Wizzymoto
Farting Nudist
Member # 60

Member Rated:
posted 05-10-2000 08:18 PM      Profile for Wizzymoto   Email Wizzymoto   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Heck, learning Chinese is the same aslearning Kanji. I've been going to shi school for 9 years.

------------------
"Better switch seats with Christina Aguilerra, Sos I can sit next to Carson Daly and Fred Durst, and hear em argue bout who she gave head to first"

From: Irvine, CA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Millennium Bug
Farting Nudist
Member # 44

Member Rated:
posted 05-10-2000 09:42 PM      Profile for Millennium Bug   Email Millennium Bug   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzymotto
Heck, learning Chinese is the same aslearning Kanji. I've been going to shi school for 9 years.

Chinese isn't that hard anyway....Anyway I'm a chinese.. See where I come from.

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 05-11-2000 02:26 AM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

I like Japanese games.

I play my Jp F-Zero X exclusively, though that has plenty of english in it.

I'll switch over to English when it comes out, but I'll still go back...

It's an experience you like or you don't.

------------------
-cfalcon

"What's important... Is to love each card..."
-Ronald, lamenting his loss in Ishihara's house, Pokémon Trading Card Game

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk
Happy Good Times Fortune Happiness Happity Hocks Cat-Gonk Happifier
Member # 14

Member Rated:
posted 05-12-2000 08:58 PM      Profile for Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz Buzz:
"When G/S was only out in Japanese, why, I had a max stat Eefi..."

Zip a dee doo dah day. No one's gonna care, as you won't be able to use it.

Raising Pokemon to high levels, yeah, that's pretty dumb. No-one to use it on.

But figuring out what all the moves do, testing the new Pokemon before anyone else does, that's more than a good enough reason to have a Japanese copy of GS. Heh, I got the biggest kick out of being one of the few people in the early days of GS that knew what was going on.

I bought mine from the streets of Akihabara when I went to Japan.

Though I can't understand all of it, I can pick up anything that's directly related to the game. Heh, like Slo Migs said, it's not as if you read what the E4 say anyway.

------------------
Cat-Gonk.
- Do you believe in Goddish?

The Kitty Litter Box.
http://catgonk.cjb.net/
- GOT KITTY?

"So lock up your daughters.
Lock up your wife.
Lock your back door, and run for your life."
- "T.N.T.": AC/DC.

From: Perth, Western Australia. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
TeeJay
Farting Nudist
Member # 265

Member Rated:
posted 05-13-2000 11:17 AM      Profile for TeeJay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
precisely, now when GS comes out here in October, us few lucky souls will know the exact location of everything, where to go, and what is strong. Some of those things you can't expect to find on GameFAQS or Player's Guides for about a month after the release.

------------------
Smile, it will be the last time you do once you fight me -TeeJay

From: Overland Park, Kansas, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
starCaliber
is evil and also MewtwoSama
Member # 268

Member Rated:
posted 05-13-2000 01:04 PM      Profile for starCaliber   Email starCaliber   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah right. It'll be on GameFAQs within an hour or two of release. They probably already have Jap G/S walkthroughs all over the net.

But the more I think about it, the more I realize that this is kind of a dumb topic anyway. So, I have nothing else to say about it, and my bad for posting something dumb :P.

------------------
Being frozen solid is going to make this a one-sided fight.

From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tom Cosmo
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 417

Rate Member
posted 05-14-2000 04:12 PM      Profile for Tom Cosmo   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Cosmo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually,wanting to figure out all of the new Pokémon's abilities and stuff isn't a reason to buy the Jap version of the game.It's a reason why to download the ROM.

------------------
Just some English Kid who hangs out at The Pokémasters.

Mewtwo-killing Jynx?I INVENTED The MEwtwo-killing Jynx.

phoenixnye
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 87

Rate Member
posted 05-16-2000 12:35 AM      Profile for phoenixnye   Email phoenixnye   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tom Cosmo I'm with you on that one.
on the other hand don't brag about the mewtwo-killing Jynx because it's not better than most of the mewtwo killers.

------------------

Crimzonite
Farting Nudist
Member # 307

Member Rated:
posted 05-16-2000 08:03 AM      Profile for Crimzonite     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

I've had the rom of both games since the night it came out in Japan (my obvious response was "Wow, that quick?") and I haven't played them much. I've played it on and off over the months, checking things out, using No$Gb's built in Game Genie/Shark to mess around with it. I'll play it all the way through in the English version, since it'll be a better experience when it's in my own language. ^^;;

------------------

Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk
Happy Good Times Fortune Happiness Happity Hocks Cat-Gonk Happifier
Member # 14

Member Rated:
posted 05-19-2000 04:52 AM      Profile for Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Cosmo:
Actually,wanting to figure out all of the new Pokémon's abilities and stuff isn't a reason to buy the Jap version of the game.It's a reason why to download the ROM.

I already had the ROM, I prefer the feel of the Game Boy.

After all, it's why I bought Pokemon Pinball rather than getting the ROM.

------------------
Cat-Gonk.
- Do you believe in Goddish?

The Kitty Litter Box.
http://catgonk.cjb.net/
- GOT KITTY?

"So lock up your daughters.
Lock up your wife.
Lock your back door, and run for your life."
- "T.N.T.": AC/DC.

From: Perth, Western Australia. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.