The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Onix Annex   » Azure Arena   » Uk pokémon championship warstory: South Hampton

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Uk pokémon championship warstory: South Hampton
Philbo
Farting Nudist
Member # 443

Member Rated:
posted 08-08-2000 06:11 PM      Profile for Philbo   Email Philbo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ok, well it’s now 7:45 in the evening and I’ve just got back from the Pokemon Uk championship event in SouthHampton. As some of you guys will know, I entered the championship at Watford about a week ago, with Darryn (who won that event in the end), got through to the quarter final and made a huge mistake……
But that’s another story, that was then and this is now, and this is my report (taken from personal memory (and some of Gareth’s (Ryoga) thoughts aswell)…..

Ok, we start at the very beginning, yesterday afternoon (Gareth was staying over at mine). Gareth’s mum brought him over to my house at 5 o’clock , and we started the day with a good hours worth of Perfect Dark (which I won, despite Gareth owning it and me not) J. Up until that point, I hadn’t got ANY lvl100 pkmn (cause my brother deleted them a while ago), so with my new bought Xploder (sort of UK GameShark), and with the help of Branners and Darryn on ICQ (thanx, I couldn’t have done it without you guys) sharked a whole new team in about an hour. This was SO nerve-wracking, cause up until about 9:30, we didn’t know how to actually get the lvl 100’s…….

Ok, so here’s the team:

Alakzam: Vegeta
Thunder Wave
Reflect
Psychic
Recover

Gareth persuaded me to chuck Tauros and replace him with Zam (his favourite pkmn). One of the two pkmn on the team designed for any situation, this Zam can work as a support, can survive the big physical hitters and can dish out the damage in spades too. I’m so glad he persuaded me…..

Zapdos: Zeus
Thunder-Bolt
Thunder Wave
Drill Peck
Light Screen

Works on the same premise as Zam, can work as a support and put the smack down when called upon.

Rhydon: Obelisk
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Substitute
Rest

Ok, the pokemon I’ve been saving for so long to use (the only people that know about this are Branners, Gareth and Darryn). Ok, this is the stratagy: Wait until they bring out an electric, then switch in Rhydon. Works best when you have a water out to lure them into Thunder/Bolt/Wave. They fire off their attack, it has no effect. They have to switch out, so you use Sub on the free turn that you get. This gives you ANOTHER free turn when they destroy the sub to choose what to do (will they have sent out an Articuno or a Jynx in most cases (well in the UK champs anyway).
This is an Articuno killing machine, it works SO well. One Rockslide will take down ANY Arti with it’s 4x weakness to rock and Rhydons HUGE attack. Darryn used this to win at Watford aswell…….

Chansey: Red Lion
Thunder wave
Minimize
Seismic Toss
Softboiled

Standard Molly, nothing more to be said.

Snorlax: Hiroshima
Double Edge
Amnesia
Double Team
Rest

10K’s best. Surprisingly not used once today, still waiting to be called on….

Slowbro: Speedy Bro (Borrowed off Gareth)
Thunder wave
Amnesia
Surf
Rest

Standard Toby. Again, not used once surprisingly…..

Ok, so we have the team, now it’s off to bed for a 6:00 start…….(translates as talking about the next day until 1am, when we thought enough was enough.)

Tuesday, 8th of August
Right. Drag ourselves out of bed at 6, get dressed and run downstairs for Breakfast. We plan to leave at 6:30, we’re being driven to South Hampton by my mum and my brother is coming too to try and compete with us. I know mum wont get up easily at 6, so we leave it until 6:20 to get Martin (my brother) to force her out of bed….
In the end, we leave at about 6:45, which is pretty good for my mum in the mornings..

The car journey is Awful. I still have to shark moves onto my newly "trained" pkmn, so I do that, which takes about half an hour. Then I shark Gareth a new Alakazam, Lax, Starmie and Rhydon (cause he’s so good) J. I also shark my bro a Chansey, Starmie, and guess who? Rhydon. Yep, we’re all armed with my mighty Rhydon (named Obelisk, the sets name aswell).
This all takes about another hour, and by this time my fingers are stiff from sharking and I’m bored. Not normal "I wanna go out and play" bored, more "I cant be bothered to move" bored. We wait in the car another half an hour, and finally make it to the Bargate Centre (crappy name) at 8:50, a full hour before the competition started.

Now, when we got to Watford at about the same time a week ago, there was NO-ONE else there. We walk up the escalator and are confronted by a crowd of at least 50 people. We are amazed at this, really and truly, so we quickly rushed into the middle of this crowd of people to ask what they were here for. A little kid shouted "I want Mew!", and it was blatant that all of these people were infact queuing up for Mew, and had been doing so for sometime…..
Poor, Misguided fools
Then, out of the corner of my eye I spot one of the machine operators that had been on my machine at the Watford Championships. He was a bit of a dude really, actually a cool person there. He knew that I was good, and knew the mistake I made in the quarters at Watford had cost me the match….
I called him over, and he asked why we were here. I said:
"To compete again of course!", feeling really confident etc….
This is where the trouble started
He told us that people had been complaining about the reserve list, that people who had just turned up and got through on the reserve list were defeating their kids who had got the letter of conformation, and sometimes winning the competition itself….
DARRYN
So he told us that Nintendo of Europe had made them stop doing the reserve list and there would be no reserves, only people that had been notified that they would compete would be able to……

So, the first spanner in the works….

Then he said that because we had previously competed in the championships (Me at Watford and Gareth at BlueWater), that we wouldn’t be able to compete because the bitch at registration said that "it isn’t fair on everyone else".

The second spanner…..

So now, we have a championship event where about 20 people didn’t turn up, but we couldn’t replace them in the competition because it wouldn’t be fair on the people who had been invited…..
So 20 people went through automatically into round 2 without even fighting…
That sucked SOO bad, I felt like hitting that bitch at registration……

We argued and argued and argued, and finally we came to a decision. Neither me or Gareth could compete, but my brother could, seeing as he hadn’t competed beforehand (I know this sounds weird now, but keep reading).
The bitch gave him badge number 50, and told him to go over to machine 4 for his first battle.

Now this is when the miracle happened (either that or I was insanely lucky). BTW, this did actually happen, and can’t have been very nice for my brother, but I am still grateful that it happened (cause of what happened afterwards).
All of a sudden, my brother said "Mum, I feel hot, can I sit down for a minute?"
We sit down next to the machine, and all of a sudden my brothers face started to go all red. He had been very tired in the morning, but the heat in the bustling Championship area had obviously gotten to him.
He was called up by the guy who was operating the machine, but he was so tired he had to drag his chair over to the machine and sit down while he was playing…
I had lent him Zeus, Vegeta (cause he had different moves to the Zam I sharked him earlier), and Hiroshima. Needless to say, my bro cleaned up, using Vegeta to destroy the whole of this guys team…..
But as soon as he’d won, he collected his badge and we began to walk back to the car, so that he could have a lye down on the back seat. I talked to him and he said that he didn’t want to carry on, and that he would lose the next round on purpose so we could go home. I asked him if I could take over for him if he was just going to lose….

He said that I could
YES!

I went back up to the shopping centre and tried to sort it out with the events manager, a guy called Chris, who was really helpful and said that he’d get my brother a t-shirt to say sorry that he was ill. I said this was ok and thanked him, and went to sort it out with registration, who said that I could take over for him, but not fight FOR him, as I originally intended to do. They said that if I was to replace him and I got through to the Dome, it would be me fighting and not him. We went back to the car to ask Martin, and he said that………
Nothing, he was fast asleep
Mum told me that if he didn’t wake up by 12:20 (20 mins before his next match), I could go and officially replace him. I was really annoyed that Gareth didn’t get to compete aswell though……
He didn’t wake up
We went up again and finalised it with registration, changed all of my bro’s details to mine (not much of a job), and talked to the guy on machine 4 about it. Once everything was sorted out, I waited for my call up.

Here we go then………..

<RECAP>
Round 1
(BTW, everyone who tried to get in received a Boulder Badge in the post)
Battle for Cascade badge: Martin Won (I wasn’t really watching)
</RECAP>

Round 2
My first battle
Battle for Thunder Badge
Ok, well this was my easiest battle in the whole tournament. This was against a little kid in a Simpsons cap who by the looks of his team, had got through by default from Round 1. I choose Vegeta, Zeus and Red Lion.
The battle was over in 3 turns.
He sends out lvl 40 Hitmonchan: Psychic from Vegeta, it’s down
He sends out lvl 28 Mr Mime: Psychic from Vegeta, it’s down
He sends out lvl 33 Pidgeotto: Psychic from Vegeta, it’s down
(For some reason he used these 3 when he also had a lvl 82 Charizard on his team)

A Thunder Badge is now mine

Round 3
My Second Battle
Battle for Rainbow Badge
This was one of the more challenging fights I had today. He used Zam, Articuno, and another I can’t remember. He was actually pretty good (even tho I caned his ass down with Vegeta and Zeus). I remember now actually (I can’t be bothered to edit this), It was Gyarados. Needless to say that’s where Zeus was used.
I felt he had got too far on his own to just be left, he was too good for that, so I gave him azure’s address and told him to come here and talk on the forum, so we might see him around (if you’re him, post under this now!)

I now have a Rainbow Badge

Round 4
My third Battle
Battle for marsh badge
This was against a guy who had got through the last round automatically because me and Gareth saw his opponent was cheating and pointed him out (his Egg had Razor Leaf and Dream-eater).I wouldn’t normally have done this but if I hadn’t I would have been fighting him in this match, which I didn’t want to do….
Anyway, this was an easy match, with Vegeta sweeping again and Chansey picking up the pieces at the end when his Arti killed him….

A Marsh badge is now mine

Now it was time for the quarter finals, and I was VERY nervous having lost here at Watford before. And just like Watford, mine was the last quarter final (which wasn’t good for my already frought nerves at all)
However, this one went better than the last…..

Quarter-final
My Forth battle
Battle for Soul Badge
I had watched this guy on another machine so knew what his team would be…
We both start with Zapdos. I switch to Obelisk, he T-Waves, no effect……..
From here on in it’s a blur……I’ve just spent 5 mins discussing it with Gareth and he cant remember either……
The only thing I can remember other than that was his Golem using Rock Slide and Missing (which I would have survived anyway), and me Psychic’ing for the win with Vegeta .

Soul badge is mine

Now the big ones……..
That win calmed me down at least. I just kept saying to myself "just one more win for a free trip to the Millenium Dome" (both finalists go to the Dome, the only thing the final battle determines is who receives the Earth Badge)

Semi-final
Battle for Volcano badge
My fifth battle
This was my hardest battle of the day
I sent in Alakazam, he sent in Zapdos. I switch in Rhydon, he T-waves, it fails. He switches in NidoKing, I sub. He earthquakes, my sub breaks, I earthquake, he goes down. He sends in Golem. I switch to Zam, he Rockslides for about 100 health. I Reflect, he earthquakes for about 65. He switches in Zapdos, I recover. I switch to Zapdos (don’t know why), he Thunders. I Thunder Wave, he Thunder-Bolts. I ThunderBolt, he Thunders to kill Zeus. I send in Rhydon, he T-Bolts (no effect). He switches in Golem, I switch in Vegeta. I psychic to kill him. He sends out Zapdos, I deal with him easily with 3 psychics…..

I win!
Yeah, I’m going to the Dome!
Top quality
I come away well pleased, knowing that I’m going to the Dome anyway, so I go out to have a fun final…..and I remember it perfectly….

FINAL
My Sixth Battle
Battle for THE Earth Badge (only 1 at each event: 16 in existence)
Good, but not as hard as the previous one…..
We both send out Alakazam.
I T-Wave, He psychics
I Psychic (lower special), He Psychics
I Psychic (lower special), He Psychics
I Psychic, He Recovers
(Repeat about 4 times)
I Psychic (lower special), He Psychics (lower special)
Ok, now he makes his one MAJOR mistake
I recover, He Digs
I send in Zapdos, Dig misses
I T-Bolt, He’s down in one
He sends out dragonite
I Drill peck, he Blizzards (crit) and kills me
I send out red Lion.

Ok, you should be able to guess what happens here. I minimize up to the max, taking as much of each 30 seconds as I can, Softboiled to max health and began to toss away.
I kill dragonite and he sends out Blastoise. I get him down to 30 hp and the time runs out
I WIN!

Ok, so not the most exiting final ever, but I still won it, claimed my Earth badge *points at it proudly, and got a big goody bag at the end, which had packets of cards, a CD, a Video, stickers, postcards and magnets in it……and a Charizard T-shirt at the end as well.
I got a letter (the same as Darryns) giving me rough details of the UK finals, and they said they would ring me….

But the best bit of the whole thing had to be talking to the group of 4 really SEXY, fine nintendo women wearing tight pokemon t-shirts…..drool……man they were fine!
And the thing was they actually talked to me, I didn’t have to talk to them first, cause they saw me on the stage and talked to me when I came down after the semi……
Yep, being good at pokemon has it’s perks alright…..
Two of them even said that they REMEMBERED me from Watford, which brought a big smile (and blush) to my face that made them all laugh…..

We went home (getting lost on the way), which this time took 2 and a half hours, and as soon as I got in, I began to write this…..
It’s now 11:05 (sorry it’s been so long Branners, Darryn and Rich) but I had to eat, talk to my friend on the phone and play PD with Gareth between…….

Well, this has got to be my longest ever post on azure. Hope you enjoyed it…..
cya latter!
(off to play more PD with gareth)

-Philbo

------------------
Philbo, you rock.-Cat-Gonk
"Damn you vile woman-you've impeded my work since the day I escaped from your cursed ovarian Bastille!"-Stewie, Family Guy
Peter_the_man: you better not mess with my dick......'cos my dick will kick your a... wait a minute...Nevermind!
AIM:Philbosan

[This message has been edited by Philbo (edited 08-08-2000).]

From: Kent, England | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Pink Elephant
Farting Nudist
Member # 261

Member Rated:
posted 08-08-2000 06:27 PM      Profile for Pink Elephant   Author's Homepage   Email Pink Elephant   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
philbo, you rock. ^_^ that was great man!

------------------
Last night, I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.

MewtwoSama
Asshole
Member # 12

Member Rated:
posted 08-08-2000 06:35 PM      Profile for MewtwoSama   Author's Homepage   Email MewtwoSama   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Philbo, you rock

------------------
MewtwoSama
Zombies Ate My Neighbors

From: Abyss of Evil | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
TeeJay
Farting Nudist
Member # 265

Member Rated:
posted 08-08-2000 07:02 PM      Profile for TeeJay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is so cool. Why can't the blasted US Tours have badges beyond Cascade and tournaments?

------------------
"Salad is O-K!"- Fish

AIM: daBIGTom

From: Overland Park, Kansas, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
starCaliber
is evil and also MewtwoSama
Member # 268

Member Rated:
posted 08-08-2000 07:35 PM      Profile for starCaliber   Email starCaliber   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Because America sucks.

Land of liberty, my ass. Well, for Pokemon Trainers anyway.

------------------
"The light, it burns...must stay indoors, away from human contact. Where would I be without my computer?"
-Fish151PKMN, impersonating Fanha.

From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Yavarice
Farting Nudist
Member # 420

Member Rated:
posted 08-08-2000 10:08 PM      Profile for Yavarice   Author's Homepage   Email Yavarice   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TeeJay:
That is so cool. Why can't the blasted US Tours have badges beyond Cascade and tournaments?

Why can't useless Canada get badges period? Oh well, at least we got great beer commercials.

Congrats to you Philbo and good luck at the finals.

------------------
"To Alcohol - The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems."
- Homer

Mew's Dad
Farting Nudist
Member # 295

Member Rated:
posted 08-09-2000 02:24 PM      Profile for Mew's Dad   Author's Homepage   Email Mew's Dad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah show those scumbags how shit the starters are!

------------------
Mew:A mythical Pokemon of South America which had been thought extinct. When viewed through a microscope this Pokemon's short fine delicate hair is seen. So rare it is still said to be a mirage by many experts. A growing number of people have seen it recently.

"So cold, I am always by your side"-Sephiroth

Ryoga
Farting Nudist
Member # 490

Member Rated:
posted 08-09-2000 03:49 PM      Profile for Ryoga   Author's Homepage   Email Ryoga   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I had to watch him write this all!
And now i can't b bothered to read it, well i was there so y do i need to?
Well done phil.

Zam rocks
I changed my sig as well (phils been bothering me to do this)

------------------
swasix

From: Somewhere over the rainbow(UK) | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Philbo
Farting Nudist
Member # 443

Member Rated:
posted 08-09-2000 03:51 PM      Profile for Philbo   Email Philbo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You need to capitalise the first S and put an exclamation mark at the end......
Swasix!

------------------
Philbo, you rock.-Cat-Gonk
"Damn you vile woman-you've impeded my work since the day I escaped from your cursed ovarian Bastille!"-Stewie, Family Guy
Peter_the_man: you better not mess with my dick......'cos my dick will kick your a... wait a minute...Nevermind!
AIM:Philbosan

From: Kent, England | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Dragonite21
Farting Nudist
Member # 475

posted 08-10-2000 03:45 PM      Profile for Dragonite21     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Philbo, you rock!!

------------------

Dante
Farting Nudist
Member # 746

Member Rated:
posted 08-10-2000 05:23 PM      Profile for Dante   Author's Homepage   Email Dante   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey Philbo I just noticed...
you DO rock!
/wonders where to buy gameshark

------------------
"Pinkle, squirmy, plip plap plop!" - Rimmer

From: UK, universe 10812 version 2 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Hitmonrich
unregistered

posted 08-10-2000 08:02 PM           Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Uk pokémon championship warstory: South Hampton

I know it's picky, but the place you went to is called Southampton, not South Hampton. Sorry 'bout that. Or is there really a place called South Hampton that I don't know about?

------------------
Salamander?

IP: Logged
NickWhiz1
Farting Nudist
Member # 30

Member Rated:
posted 08-10-2000 08:13 PM      Profile for NickWhiz1   Author's Homepage   Email NickWhiz1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Evil Brits. You guys actually get a fair tournament to go to Sydney. We get NoA's half-***ed effort. Bleh.

------------------

From: Toledo, OH, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jenova
Farting Nudist
Member # 727

Member Rated:
posted 08-11-2000 05:52 PM      Profile for Jenova   Author's Homepage   Email Jenova   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Philbo always did rock, you people were too blind to see it ^_^
*cheerleads for philbo*
uhm, I cant think of a decent rhyme...
*P-H-ILB-O, Philbo rocks as you all know*
uhm, best I could do in about five seconds of thinking it...

------------------
"Jenova is the Best" ~Anthrax

Mewtation
Farting Nudist
Member # 441

Rate Member
posted 08-12-2000 07:01 AM      Profile for Mewtation   Author's Homepage   Email Mewtation   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah nice one Phil.

This Dome event is gonna be wicked, those little kids who won at the events like Bluewater are gonna be in for a real suprise!

I might just have to go to that, not because I like pokemon, but because I hate little kids and It would be kool to say, "hey I know that kid Philbo".

well, I would just like to say that I am actually feeling as though I'm missing out on something not playing pokemon... But oh well, Its too late now, my save game was deleted and the league is practically over so, see ya!

------------------
"Well Mr. Hunt, this isn't mission difficult it's mission impossible, difficult should be a walk in the park for you." -The Head: M:I 2

"I AM YOUR GOD" -Apophis: Stargate SG1

[This message has been edited by Mewtation (edited 08-12-2000).]

From: London, United Kingdom! | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nirvana
Farting Nudist
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
posted 03-09-2001 03:08 PM      Profile for Nirvana     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah yeah, Philbo you rock ;p

Strange, when this was posted he had no idea he would get so close to winning the UK Championship against his chosen rival in the topic, Darryn

------------------
-ÑïrVÄn@

From: United Kingdom. | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Weezinbell
Farting Nudist
Member # 1031

Rate Member
posted 03-17-2001 02:19 PM      Profile for Weezinbell   Author's Homepage   Email Weezinbell   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow that was great you rock Phil

------------------
Weezinbell sludge bomb now
Formerly Jolt,
-may the fork be with you-
oddly I've been here ages my post count is small and my team...sucks,
oh well when you first dont...Ah forget it :(

Gloomboy
Farting Nudist
Member # 462

Member Rated:
posted 03-17-2001 03:56 PM      Profile for Gloomboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why aren't there any Pokemon tournaments in Texas? I wanna try out my strategies! WAH!

(Starts throwing a fit like Sailor Moon!)

------------------
[Sig deleted due to absurd length.]

From: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
MewtwoSama
Asshole
Member # 12

Member Rated:
posted 03-17-2001 07:24 PM      Profile for MewtwoSama   Author's Homepage   Email MewtwoSama   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gloomboy:
Why aren't there any Pokemon tournaments in Texas? I wanna try out my strategies! WAH!

(Starts throwing a fit like Sailor Moon!)

There was 4 regional tourneys held in the US last August in:

San Diego, Seattle, Dallas and New York.
ET went to NY

------------------
Snoochie boochie noochies

From: Abyss of Evil | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jigglypuff
Farting Nudist
Member # 144

Member Rated:
posted 03-18-2001 03:09 PM      Profile for Jigglypuff   Email Jigglypuff   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gloomboy:

Well atleast your in the same COUNTRY as a tournament.

------------------
Alakazam!!! It's the Shop Wizard
I'm your friendly guide to on-line comparison shopping! Type in what you want to buy and I will search through all the shops in the market to find you the best prices! (I search a different section of the market each time to get more results!)

OrientalNoodle
Farting Nudist
Member # 616

Member Rated:
posted 03-18-2001 03:24 PM      Profile for OrientalNoodle   Author's Homepage   Email OrientalNoodle   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yup. Let's just say that if I wanted to go to a tournament, my best bet would be Sweden, where they have a Nintendo office... And they COULD arrange tournaments.

Not in Finland. If I ever see a tournament here, I'll be VERY happy. And I'd travel some hundred kilometers so that I could get there.

------------------
This is a sig. Do not think as a subliminal message, saying "Give all your money to OrientalNoodle".

From: Hanko, -, Finland | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.