The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Omanyte Historical Foundation   » One more time, for old times sake.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: One more time, for old times sake.
Tghost
Farting Nudist
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
posted 08-11-2003 05:10 AM      Profile for Tghost   Author's Homepage   Email Tghost   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's a team, for GSC..before I try to shift my ever decreasing spare time into R/S.

Alakazam - Encore, Psychic, Recover, Thief @Miracle Berry

So, it's an Encoring Alakazam. Basically, if the opponent is faster and likely to be doing something on the first turn, such as Jolteon, we use Encore. If they're not faster, the first turn is a hit by Psychic. If the second turn will kill with Psychic, we use it again, even if they switch. No loss to Kazam. It was always amazing how many starting Pokemon would drop to one or two Psychics.

If they use a status alterer, Miracle Berry absorbs the first one and then I use Encore to lock them into doing it, and try to hit off as many Psychics as possible till the switch. If they use any other move I care to Encore, that's also the plan. If it's something I don't want to Encore, it's either a straight switch or Psychics till he drops / finds something to Encore.

Then Alakazam runs, mostly, to come back later to Encore or Psychic or take a fall to set someone up.

Heracross - Megahorn, Rest, Sleep Talk @ Silverpowder

It's basically the meat and potatoes of my offensive capabilities on the team. We use Megahorn, we use Rest, then we either recover full HP or hit again with Megahorn with every use of Sleep Talk. Which isn't too shabby. Putting another move on would really muck up the 50/50 thing going on with Sleep Talk, so I don't bother. Not like Heracross learns much worth packing except Megahorn or a pifly Rock attack / maybe Counter.

Tyranitar - Screech, Pursuit, Rock Slide, Rest @Mint Berry

Tyranitar is the switching buddy for Heracross. They're types line up weaknesses to resistances, and GSC is the game of switching / rest-belling, so, here we have a switching rest-beller. Pursuit becuase whoever is out infront of Tyranitar never stays for long, and I usually have to get rid of them (esp, flying) before Heracross can shine. Screech for hitting whomever comes in if I feel like it.

Cloyster - Spikes, Icy Wind, Protect, Explosion @Pink Bow

Back in the day I did a big theorymon number crunching exercise on who Cloyster could KO given Icy Wind damage and Explosion damage. And also the same after Spikes came into play. Anyway, back in the day it didn't handle too well on GSBot, never got to blow up, but, still, it's good old Cloyster and good old Cloyster always rocked, even if he blew himself up in vain infront of a Gengar, or a Protecting whatever.

Miltank - Return, Rest, Sleep Talk, Heal Bell @Leftovers

Moo.

For some reason I remember this as the last Miltank I tried to pull of. Or maybe it was sans-Return, I don't remember much about it except I defended it across like three threads on some random Pogeymon board. Anyway, I still like it since it's a Sleep Talking Heal Balling ball of fuzzy cow. Cows are cool.

Snorlax - Curse, Double-Edge, Rest, Metronome @Leftovers

Curselax.

With Metronome. I always loved having a Snorlax fully locked in a Curse War doing something stupid like using Splash, Tackle, Mean Look, Haze, Aeroblast, or Fissure. Really, you're actually more likely to get a reasonably useful move than not when you're stuck in a rut of keeping Curselax in or being swept away. Especially when PP is running low.

... Yeah..

- - - - -
My brain went on vacation and left my pancreas in charge

From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
incompetent
Farting Nudist
Member # 1635

posted 08-11-2003 10:13 PM      Profile for incompetent   Author's Homepage   Email incompetent   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ah, old friend, it's been a while. Let's have a look and see what we have here.

Alakazam is about what you could expect from an encorer. Thief seems to be more of a side show. Why not make things a little bit more fun and put zap cannon in the set? If they're switching around to escape encore then you might as well take pot shots with it. Or, to be more tactful, and, assuming you're willing to scrap the set, you could try light screen and counter along with psychic and recover. Survive the special attacks, counter the physical ones, and just pound opponents with psychic if they get indecisive. You forgot to put one move onto your heracross. No it's not earthquake, it's bide. The very bide that could turn the tide in a PP war in your favor. Tyranitar seems to work fine. I guess you've caved in and ignored the statistical advantages and arguments in favor of ancientpower. Be that as it may, something needs to go to get earthquake somewhere on this team and at least one slot on your tyranitar can go to do it. It's not that it's not expected, it's just a good thing to have. Screech does seem to promote the switching that pursuit loves, but I'd be willing to drop it. Most of the pokemon that would go toe to toe with tyranitar in the first place would probably not mind taking a screech. I would think that tyranitar already induces enough switching without it. Your use of rest and heal bell already kind of implies that you don't want to stick around and slug it out when you can rest and let someone else do it. I'd say earthquake over screech.

Speaking of suggesting attacks, would surf over protect on cloyster be uncalled for? Maybe ice beam? Yes, protect certainly has its uses. But if cloyster is coming out later on, it might be able to take something down with either of those elemental attacks without exploding. Of course it's not very unlikely either. Both moves are a distraction from exploding, anyway. I think your miltank set before only had heal bell and it wasn't looked upon too kindly. Oh well. Return doesn't deter sleep talk too much. I would think that body slam would be more fun, but that's just me. You and I both know that the only thing better than blowing yourself up is getting metronome to blow yourself up. That's not very likely. Put self destruct over metronome. Earthquake would be more strategic and standard, but it seems like it's missing something that way. If PP is running low, do everyone a favor and blow them you and your opponent up. If that's not quite to your liking then perhaps randomly using fissure would be better. It's just a matter of taste for taste at this point is far more important than strategy.

[ 08-12-2003, 01:27 AM: Message edited by: incompetent ]

- - - - -
http://giovanni.sourcecod.com/
A ridiculous amount of guides and Pokémon fanfiction inspired by Joseph Conrad and Aldous Huxley.

Tghost
Farting Nudist
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
posted 08-12-2003 02:04 AM      Profile for Tghost   Author's Homepage   Email Tghost   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ah, old friend, it's been a while. Let's have a look and see what we have here.

Indeed it has. And what we have here is mostly straight from my memory.

Why not make things a little bit more fun and put zap cannon in the set?

Sounds like fun. I've got Metronome on a Curselax, so, why not?

You forgot to put one move onto your heracross. No it's not earthquake, it's bide. The very bide that could turn the tide in a PP war in your favor.

Heracross never really lasts that long. But, it won't hurt it at all to put Bide on and never use it unless it's totally worthwile, so Bide it is.

Tyranitar seems to work fine. I guess you've caved in and ignored the statistical advantages and arguments in favor of ancientpower.

No..I've just remembered that Pursuit can't be gotten at the same time as Ancientpower. And I want Pursuit. Even if just to get a small hit on. It all helps.

Screech does seem to promote the switching that pursuit loves, but I'd be willing to drop it.

Hmm..probably should. Tyranitar can pull off the 3 attacks and a Restberry moveset, given enough options for switching.

Speaking of suggesting attacks, would surf over protect on cloyster be uncalled for?

Actually, I'm thinking a completely new Pokemon over Cloyster would be good right about now. A problem with my old teams was too many Pokemon who couldn't handle being sent out into battle but in specific conditions. Cloyster is just like that, I need another Pokemon to switch to from Tyranitar or Heracross other than each other.

I would think that body slam would be more fun, but that's just me.

Yeah, may as well. The only difference between them is that Return at it's lowest damage is Body Slam at it's highest damage. But, not like it's damage-dealing capacity is why you use a Miltank.

You and I both know that the only thing better than blowing yourself up is getting metronome to blow yourself up.

If you can time it right. Which I never could. I just like throwing in something totally random on Curselax, it makes those Curse wars seem interesting as you hit off Metronome and hope it'll do something you wouldn't mind it doing. Also, Selfdestruct is only good if Curselax isn't left as your last Pokemon. Which it often is.

If that's not quite to your liking then perhaps randomly using fissure would be better.

But, how will it score against a Skarmory that's taking on Curselax? I mean, if I'm left to just Curselax, I don't want a Skarmory of all things to own him.

It's just a matter of taste for taste at this point is far more important than strategy.

And I quite like the sheer unpredictability that Metronome brings to a Pokemon that only really has a few options for that last moveslot - Earthquake, Selfdestruct, Fissure, or an attempt to cover a Skarmory with Fire Blast.

- - - - -
My brain went on vacation and left my pancreas in charge

From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.