The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Omanyte Historical Foundation   » Please Rate My Team

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Please Rate My Team
Kellnoa
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 3010

Member Rated:
posted 08-15-2002 10:39 AM      Profile for Kellnoa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Before I begin, I just want to state that I am pretty much a newbie when it comes to creating strategy within a team (because I've never done so before). I doubt this is any good, as I came up with this team earlier this week.

Before I list the movesets, the goal I was trying to keep in mind was for each pokémon to benefit the entire team while keeping the oppossing team at a disadvantage at the same time through status alterations (I also wanted to try and annoy the oppossing team as well). I wanted to have original movesets to, though I admit some movesets were based on others, whether slightly or heavily altered.

It might be helpful to state that I only own Pokémon Silver, Red, and Yellow (No Crystal), and am trying to breed most of these pokémon into existence.

Anyway...

Arcanine
w/Miracle Berry

- Flamethrower
- Extremespeed
- Curse
- Safeguard

I chose Arcanine to be my starter because its my second favorite pokémon. The Curse and Extremespeed combo are pretty much self explanitory. It should be able to quickly take an opponent out (not sure though), so I equipped him with Safeguard to prevent any status ailments for him and the next pokémon I bring out.

Tyranitar
w/Leftovers

- Ancient Power
- Pursuit/Surf
- Crunch
- Earthquake

I'm not a big fan of Tyranitar, but his Dark type capabilities offer some protection against Psychic types. Ancient Power should up his stats, which works well with Earthquake. I use Crunch for handling Pokémon with lower stats, so I can conserve Earthquake. I also wanted Pursuit to do damage to any pokémon who switched out, but I'm not sure if I should have it. My team is weak against Rock and Ground types, and I don't think that just one grass attack could make a difference, which explains my consideration for Surf as well.

Crobat
w/Leftovers

- Mean Look
- Toxic
- Giga Drain
- Fly

I have no problems with Crobat. Just a Mean Look-Toxic combo, with a Giga Drain to counter Rock types. It should fare well against Ground Pokémon. Fly is just an extra move I added since it doesn't run out anytime soon, though I am also considering Faint Attack.

Machamp
w/Scope Lens

- Light Screen
- Earthquake
- Focus Energy
- Cross Chop

Machamp has low special defense, which explains the Light Screen. It should protect the other pokémon as well, since I could rid pokémon quickly with Focus Energy, followed by Cross Chop. I added Earthquake to keep Machamp from being too weak to more elemental type pokémon, since most of his attacks are physical based.

Ampharos
w/Quick Claw

- Thunderwave
- Thunderbolt
- Reflect
- HP Ice

My Ampharos has the standard Thunderwave-Thunderbolt combo. Reflect should help it stay in battle longer, since Ampharos is a slow pokémon, though it could put the shield up first with Quick Claw. Someone suggested that I should put HP Ice on Ampharos, which should put up well with a few types that have an advantage over my team. The problem with that Hidden Power is that I don't know how to make it an Ice type attack. By that, I'm talking about how you purposely get the right DVs to get that Hidden Power.

Gengar
w/Bright Powder

- Mean Look
- Perish Song
- Shadow Ball
- Haze

Perish Trapping Gengar, along with Shadow Ball as an actual attack to pass the time.

From: Tollwood, Camreon Island | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Random Loser
Farting Nudist
Member # 1538

Member Rated:
posted 08-15-2002 11:19 AM      Profile for Random Loser   Email Random Loser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Before you even worry about movesets, you've got to look at weaknesses. You've got a 4x weakness to Ground, which simply won't work. You're going to have to change some of these guys around...
From: Uni of Virginny | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trebor
Farting Nudist
Member # 2988

Member Rated:
posted 08-15-2002 02:47 PM      Profile for Trebor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would replace Gengar with a flying water/ice type, since then you will be able to cover your now 3 x ground weakness.

Articuno if you dont mind using 00bers, or if you do try mantine (although his stats are poor). Another consideration is the very popular Jynx since it has hte best sleeping move in the game aside form parasect with spore.

- - - - -
!TREBOR!

ThumbsOfSteel
Farting Nudist
Member # 1922

Member Rated:
posted 08-15-2002 03:09 PM      Profile for ThumbsOfSteel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Arcanine: If you want this set, lead with ampharos. If you want arcanine to lead, give him flamethrower, body slam, attract, safeguard/sub. Attach miracleberry if safeguard, leftovers if sub.

Tyranitar: Use pursuit, as anything dark is super-effective against won't stick around, and then you could put surf over crunch, or screech.

Crobat: Drop this guy, probably for a water or grass. I'd use either starmie or exeggutor.

Machamp: Give him rock slide over light screen to help against flyers.

Ampharos: Pretty much standard. To cut ground weaknesses, you could drop for zapdos with thunderbolt, T-wave, drill peck, whirlwind/reflect.

Gengar: Drop him, as even a 3x ground weakness is unacceptable. A snorlax or porygon2 would work well in his place. Snorlax should have curse, rest, Double edge, sleeptalk. Porygon2 should have ice beam, recover, and either T-wave and double edge or curse and double edge or T-bolt and T-wave.

Overall: A ground type would rip this apart. Ampharos and gengar should probably go for zappy and porygon2, and crobat has crap survivability even with fly, so drop him for a starmie or eggy to cover your now 2x weakness to ground as well as for added type coverage (starmie should have surf, psychic, and ice beam with recover, or T-wave over ice beam.) Not bad for a first team, but still needs some work.

- - - - -
"If you put that post in 00bersig, you owe every post ever made by MK a 6-foot monument made of platinum." -StarCaliber
"I'm pretty sure it says in there somewhere that Iron Tailing Mewtwos are half price." -Uiru
This message will selfdestruct in 10 seconds.

From: Nowhere on a normal map | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Draco the spirit dragon
Farting Nudist
Member # 2900

Member Rated:
posted 08-15-2002 04:26 PM      Profile for Draco the spirit dragon   Email Draco the spirit dragon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
your crowbat and gengar dont have the survivorbility to use their move combos trust me i use them, confuse ray and toxic work well on gengar and try using attract on both

- - - - -
always expect the unexpected!

I've desidered since I can't get my Nidoking Gorkamorka into R/S he's be killed and reincarnated as a Metagross.

Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk
Happy Good Times Fortune Happiness Happity Hocks Cat-Gonk Happifier
Member # 14

Member Rated:
posted 08-16-2002 03:22 AM      Profile for Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Arcanine: Cover for him with Ampharos' Reflect while he gets Curse set up..though I really don't like the idea of powering up with a type as vulnerable as Fire. It could work in the right circumstances but there are Water and Ground moves everywhere..and I'd rather use Arcanine as a sweeper. If you want a tank, I'd go with a cursing Kingdra (though you don't have the BP support that it needs to shine) to keep your weaknesses down.

Tyranitar: Personally I'd put Fire Blast over Surf and leave the Grounds for the rest of your team, but I just like to have a few Fire-equipped Pokemon handy due to the amount of Steel-types I see.

Crobat: Drop it. Crobat's only viable for one thing, fast attack. If you must use it I'd go with Confuse Ray, Haze (it doesn't remove state changes in GSC AFAIK), Wing Attack and something else. You want support, so I'd go for a BPer.

Machamp: Lose Focus Energy, it doesn't work like it used to. I'd go with Rock Slide or Fire Blast.

Ampharos: Well, it comes down to a tricky process of breeding for the DVs needed..that, or a Gameshark. If you want to get around your Ground problem I'd lose this guy for Zapdos..being weak to Rock isn't so bad IMHO.

Gengar: I'd go with Hypnosis over Shadow Ball if you don't mind going without an attack.

This team isn't viable for reasons already discussed, however it's good that you're trying to use each member of the team to back the others up. The type weaknesses need to be addressed, however, you shouldn't have three Pokemon weak to the same type on a team, or three Pokemon that can be dry-raped by one Poke with a standard moveset. Try to get more type-neutral, even if it means becoming standard.

- - - - -
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jetblackvalias

From: Perth, Western Australia. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Kellnoa
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 3010

Member Rated:
posted 08-18-2002 06:13 PM      Profile for Kellnoa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I changed my team around a bit, and got rid of Crobat and Gengar. Besides a few changes in movesets and Pokémon, it is still close to the original.

Also, I don't really like to use legendery Pokémon for linked battles.

Ampharos
w/Quick Claw

- Thunderwave
- Thunderbolt
- Reflect
- HP Ice

I made Ampharos the new starter of my team...

Arcanine
w/Miracle Berry

- Flamethrower
- Extremespeed
- Curse
- Safeguard

...And I made Arcanine the sweeper of my team.

Tyranitar
w/Leftovers

- Ancient Power
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

Machamp
w/Scope Lens

- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- -----
- Cross Chop

I decided to get rid of Focus Energy. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should put there? I was thinking something like Double Team or Encore, but I figured it would get shot down.

Starmie
w/Bright Powder

- Recover/Confuse Ray
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Surf

Snorlax
w/Mint Berry

- Curse
- Rest
- Double Edge
- Sleep Talk

I'll most likely add Starmie to my team. But do you think it would be better if I added a dragon type such as Dragonite in place of Snorlax? He is considered a flying type as well, which should make him capable of combating Ground types. That, and I still need a Hazer since I took Gengar out.

From: Tollwood, Camreon Island | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Donald
Bob the Builder
Member # 1551

Member Rated:
posted 08-18-2002 08:00 PM      Profile for Donald   Email Donald      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I changed my team around a bit, and got rid of Crobat and Gengar. Besides a few changes in movesets and Pokémon, it is still close to the original.

Also, I don't really like to use legendary Pokémon for linked battles.

Ampharos
w/Quick Claw

- Thunderwave
- Thunderbolt
- Reflect
- HP Ice

I made Ampharos the new starter of my team...

Leading with an Electric is good... though Amphy's lack of speed can be a problem sometimes. This is good for Item Clause, tho.

Arcanine
w/Miracle Berry

- Flamethrower
- Extremespeed
- Curse
- Safeguard

...And I made Arcanine the sweeper of my team.

Maybe Rest or Roar over Safeguard?

Tyranitar
w/Leftovers

- Ancient Power
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

[Embarrassed] AP + Pursuit =/= legal... Rock Slide over AP, I guess. Pursuit's a lot more useful, especially against psykers.

Machamp
w/Scope Lens

- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- -----
- Cross Chop

I decided to get rid of Focus Energy. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should put there? I was thinking something like Double Team or Encore, but I figured it would get shot down.

Light Screen or Meditate are good options for that third slot. Consider attaching a Blackbelt to eliminate Blissey.

Starmie
w/Bright Powder

- Recover/Confuse Ray
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Surf

Recover.

Snorlax
w/Mint Berry

- Curse
- Rest
- Double Edge
- Sleep Talk

You are utterly screwed against Ghosts, but I suppose you knew that already. If you like being fugly, EQ over Sleep Talk

I'll most likely add Starmie to my team. But do you think it would be better if I added a dragon type such as Dragonite in place of Snorlax? He is considered a flying type as well, which should make him capable of combating Ground types. That, and I still need a Hazer since I took Gengar out.

Maybe Arcanine could help by giving it Roar... though you coul swap Starmie out for Dragonite, or perhaps a *throws a dart at the Hazer's dartboard* Mantine, if you're scared of Ground.

From: In your girl's panties | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk
Happy Good Times Fortune Happiness Happity Hocks Cat-Gonk Happifier
Member # 14

Member Rated:
posted 08-20-2002 08:52 AM      Profile for Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You're still running a 3x Ground weakness..drop Tyranitar IMHO if you must keep Arcanine.

- - - - -
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jetblackvalias

From: Perth, Western Australia. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.