The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Omanyte Historical Foundation   » What are the clauses?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What are the clauses?
legendary_popsicle
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 2989

Member Rated:
posted 08-11-2002 08:10 PM      Profile for legendary_popsicle   Email legendary_popsicle   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
topic
PikaCharma
I scanned my boobs and then said I was leaving and never coming back. OOPS!
Member # 2026

Member Rated:
posted 08-11-2002 08:31 PM      Profile for PikaCharma   Author's Homepage   Email PikaCharma   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Depends on who you ask, who you're battling, and what clauses you agree upon.

Species Clause is probably the most common one. Just means you can't bring a team into battle that has more than one of the same pokemon. For example, two darkness types is fine as long as they're not the same species, but two Umbreons is not. Some other common clauses are...

Freeze\Sleep clause: No more than one pokemon on each team can be simultaneously frozen and\or put to sleep. IIRC, however, this one is fading in popularity due to the random nature of Freeze and due to the presence of moves such as Snore and Sleeptalk in G\S\C.

Item Clause: No duplicate items may appear on your team. Each pokemon must have a different item.

Legendary Clause: No M2, Hohou, or Lugia. Mew and Celebi are debatable.

A few uncommon, but still heard-of clauses:

Smeargle Clause: No Smeargle

HP Clause: No Hidden Power. ((This one was more or less designed to combat people who Shark their Pokemon into having a Hidden Power of a specific strength\type, but I don't think this clause is widely accepted as canon, mainly because it basically assumes everyone is a cheater and it takes an otherwise fun and valuable move out of the game.))

Recovery\Evade Clause: No recovery or evade-increading moves. Can be used as seperate clauses ((ie, one type of move is banned, but not the other)) or together as one clause. IMHO, this one is a strategy killer and royally sucks.

And in the case of a R\B\Y match or tourney, a lot of people will put a ban on G\S\C tradebacks. A Tradeback is when you take a pokemon from R\B\Y, trade it over to G\S\C, teach it a move it can't learn naturally learn in R\B\Y ((amnesia is a common one)), and then trade it back to R\B\Y. Granted, there's nothing technically illegal about doing this, but it's still considered rude at best if you don't at least ask first. The concept behind this is that a R\B\Y match means a R\B\Y match, not a G\S\C in the form of R\B\Y match.

HTH.

- - - - -
Pikacharma's Bottomless Pit -- Vote 4 Mike, see a dead Togepi, and take the Pokemon Purity test!

"There's no such thing as a soul. It's just something made up to scare us kids, like the boogieman or Michael Jackson." -- Bart Simpson

Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 08-12-2002 12:50 AM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You forgot my favorite clause.

GAME FREAK GUY: (loosely translated from Japanese) "Hmm... Kabigon has massive Health, Attack, and Special Defence. Curse/Slow will enable it to become very powerful very quickly and Rest off damage easily. Could this be broken?"

GAME FREAK GUY 2: (loosely translated from Japanese) "People aren't stupid; they'll just OHKO it if it causes problems. Haganeeru, for example, can eat it in most cases. Hell, Guraigaa can do it if it gets in there fast enough."

Meanwhile...

NEWBIE PROLES: (loosely translated from raging idiot) "OMFG I got killd bu a OHKO ltes ban them lol!"

And thus, the idiot population not only gave birth to Curselax but ensured its iron-fisted dominance for months by eliminating its one weakness, ruining the play experience for many thousands of sensible trainers and turning many off from GSC entirely.

OHKO clause: what 'path of least resistance' looks like on paper.
~Uiru

- - - - -
TIDUDSOFIEIHUGHEXXXC: "maybe he will let you touch his blow up do"

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

From: the floating castle of Newfoundland | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
jshadias
Farting Nudist
Member # 2710

Member Rated:
posted 08-12-2002 01:55 AM      Profile for jshadias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Someone sig part of that - I'm out of room.

- - - - -
What Nintendo doesn't want you to know
Uiru: "Now that we're all used to the rules, clauses and by-laws... what would happen to the metagame if every one of them were whipped away?"
GP-Chan: "id probably quit every battle, and not just every other battle."
ThumbsOfSteel: "Why, because they broke the rules?"

PikaCharma
I scanned my boobs and then said I was leaving and never coming back. OOPS!
Member # 2026

Member Rated:
posted 08-12-2002 04:37 AM      Profile for PikaCharma   Author's Homepage   Email PikaCharma   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
::bows down to Uiru's superior knowledge::

Nice job. [Big Grin]

- - - - -
Pikacharma's Bottomless Pit -- Vote 4 Mike, see a dead Togepi, and take the Pokemon Purity test!

"There's no such thing as a soul. It's just something made up to scare us kids, like the boogieman or Michael Jackson." -- Bart Simpson

Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk
Happy Good Times Fortune Happiness Happity Hocks Cat-Gonk Happifier
Member # 14

Member Rated:
posted 08-12-2002 10:10 PM      Profile for Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cat-Gonk Clause (aka Evade Clause) - Ban the move that Cat-Gonk bases his entire strategy around in the hope that it might make him beatable, maybe.

- - - - -
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jetblackvalias

From: Perth, Western Australia. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr.E
Farting Nudist
Member # 696

Member Rated:
posted 08-13-2002 12:33 AM      Profile for Mr.E     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just because you put Double Team on your ENTIRE FUCKING TEAM (expect maybe a Curser who's planned to have it passed to) does not make you invincible. =P

- - - - -
MickHale18: nevermind, I'll pull out for a second
MickHale18: *pulls out finger*

From: Munchkin Land, Oz | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 08-13-2002 12:51 AM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nor does trying to take out a Rhydon with a Moltres. [Smile]
~Uiru

- - - - -

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

Member # 14

Member Rated:
posted 08-13-2002 01:29 AM      Profile for Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Uiru:
Just because you put Double Team on your ENTIRE FUCKING TEAM (expect maybe a Curser who's planned to have it passed to) does not make you invincible. =P

Of course not, but could you give me a more valid reason for Evade Clause?

quote:
Originally posted by Uiru:
Nor does trying to take out a Rhydon with a Moltres. [Smile]

Nor does having an entire team that could get taken out by a Prole Marowak because you knew I wouldn't be taking one [Roll Eyes]

- - - - -

Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 08-13-2002 01:40 PM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Come on, CG, you have skillz. You didn't need a Marowak. [Big Grin]

Though I'll be the first to admit that it was largely a lack of taking my Umbreon seriously that led to your demise and that it might never happen again... But hey, given the rate at which we battle nowadays, I get to keep my 1-0 as a trophy. [Big Grin]
~Uiru

- - - - -

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

King Flarewolf
Farting Nudist
Member # 2696

posted 08-13-2002 02:21 PM      Profile for King Flarewolf   Email King Flarewolf   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Newbies just don't like what can beat them. My Flareon sweeps their whole team, they don't want it. Umbreon seduces most of their team with Attract, they don't want it. It's like that with all games. If something's kicking their ass, they don't like it.

- - - - -
King Flarewolf cannot come to the board at this time (In training)

Member # 14

Member Rated:
posted 08-13-2002 07:44 PM      Profile for Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Come on, CG, you have skillz. You didn't need a Marowak. [Big Grin]

^_^

Though I'll be the first to admit that it was largely a lack of taking my Umbreon seriously that led to your demise and that it might never happen again...

Heh, all my teams have Skarm in them these days.

But hey, given the rate at which we battle nowadays, I get to keep my 1-0 as a trophy.

I should also mention for the sake of everyone in this thread that I was using a Cat-Gonk Clause Legal Team. Like I was saying, take away the DT/Rest and any old prole with a Celebi can beat me..

- - - - -

Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 08-14-2002 02:49 AM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Like I was saying, take away the DT/Rest and any old prole with a Celebi can beat me..
That's not good, CG. I can win without my Celebi and/or Umbreon and/or Porygon2... I mean, I won't LIKE it but I can and have done it. [Big Grin]
~Uiru

- - - - -

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

Member # 14

Member Rated:
posted 08-14-2002 04:22 AM      Profile for Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Note use of the word "can", not "will".
Trebor
Farting Nudist
Member # 2988

Member Rated:
posted 08-14-2002 09:05 PM      Profile for Trebor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Didn't he say he has?

- - - - -
!TREBOR!

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.