The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Omanyte Historical Foundation   » The Essence of Gyarados

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Essence of Gyarados
DragoniteJ
Farting Nudist
Member # 815

Member Rated:
posted 03-17-2002 10:19 PM      Profile for DragoniteJ   Author's Homepage   Email DragoniteJ   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Gyarados sucks, right? Well, alone it does, but teamed with Steelix it can actually be useful. I've actually tested this out and Gyarados actually had a few kills, while fainting only about half of the battles, and not even to electric attacks. The reason Gyarados and Steelix are an effective team, besides both of them being snakelike, is the fact that they can cover each other's weaknesses and can deal decent damage with various attacks. The sets I used were...

Gyarados - Double-Edge/Surf/Substitute/Rest ~Leftovers
Steelix - Earthquake/Rock Slide/Curse/Explosion ~Leftovers

However, Gyarados learns a variety of useful attacks, and Iron Tail, Swagger, Screech, Body Slam, and Rest can be good on Steelix. For Gyarados, Fire Blast, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt/Thunder, Hydro Pump, and Body Slam can all be rewarding to have. Here's a list some of their weaknesses and resistances.

Type Gyarados Steelix

Electric 4x Weak Immune
Ground Immune Weak
Fire Resistant Weak
Water Resistant Weak
Fighting Resistant Weak
Rock Weak Resistant

Also, Gyarados has great Special Defense, while Steelix has great physical defense. The key to using this duo is constant switching, which isn't hindered much by Spikes since Gyarados is part flying (WOW! There is a good part to his flying type after all!) If you don't mind having an extra steel or water on your team, or use Smeargle, you can Spike them, which makes the switching induced by this combo even more effective. Stuff like Rhydon and Golem work well also, but I like Steelix since his multiple resistances induce more switching, which is the core of this stategy. Roar can also play with your opponent's head, making them unsure of whether to send in a Gyarados counter or a Steelix one, and hurting them at the same time with Spikes out. This isn't the best strategy, but it makes Gyarados actually worth using. What are your opinions?

- - - - -
"All because of your no-good, dirty, rotten, pig-stealing grandfather!" - Just when we thought the Disney Channel's writers couldn't get any worse...

Gloomboy
Farting Nudist
Member # 462

Member Rated:
posted 03-17-2002 11:09 PM      Profile for Gloomboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow,it seems really interesting that you found a Pokemon to go well with Gyarados. Let's make this into a topic where we post Pokemon pairs that work great together.

Jumpluff: Strong to grass,fighting,water
Immune to ground
Weak vs. rock,poison,flying,ice,fire
Golem: Weak vs grass,fighting,water,ground,steel
Immune to electric
Strong vs. rock,poison,flying,fire

Any more ideas?

- - - - -
"You forgot the part where Pikachu faints Rhydon with Thundershock..." - White Cat

"I don't care if you're lost. You show up here,you're nothing but a victim!" - Rocket Grunt under Goldenrod City

"That's what Hypnosis does; it fails horribly." - Uiru

From: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
JP Nogueira
Farting Nudist
Member # 962

Member Rated:
posted 03-18-2002 02:14 PM      Profile for JP Nogueira   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And both weak to Ice, right [Razz]

Good! I liked your way to use Gyarados. Since they messed it up, I wasn´t to excited to use this poké.

I think a good pokémon that would integrate this strategy is Blissey. Hmmm... what would the whole team look like?

/me remembers ol'times on Blue...

- - - - -
----======= (o)
JP Noga
Gym Leader from Brazil

10,000Lb.Snorlax
loves long time.
Member # 13

Member Rated:
posted 03-18-2002 04:53 PM      Profile for 10,000Lb.Snorlax   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Skarmory + Quagsire??
Pokegod
Farting Nudist
Member # 977

posted 03-18-2002 05:05 PM      Profile for Pokegod     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
But what happens if someone brings a starmie with thunderbolt and surf? Remember to take into account that many pokemon will learn different types of attacks that can swart a combo like gyarados and Steelix.
From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Neobushi
Farting Nudist
Member # 801

posted 03-18-2002 09:39 PM      Profile for Neobushi     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Another good duo would be gyarados and magneton. A physical attacker teamed with a special attacker that also compliments the other defensively works wonders. Magneton also is either resistant or neutral to all of starmie's attacks aside from odd hidden powers. Any attack in the game that is super effective or neutral on one will be resisted or have no effect on the other. Not even steelix and gyarados can claim that.
LanderZRPG
Got a whale of a tale to tell ya, lads!
Member # 1615

Member Rated:
posted 03-18-2002 10:59 PM      Profile for LanderZRPG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mewtwo and Lugia!!

Lol!

Anyways, being fair, a Starmie could eat that combo (T-bolt and Surf.)

Other good combos:
Shuckle and Missy. Missy gets slaughtered by Bug, Dark, and anything with decent attack power, while Shuckle doesn't, save by Water (And Machamp).

Quagsire and Skarmory work VERY well together, especially on a Spikestorm team (I made a great team that had them, Forretress, Porygon2, Exeggutor, and.... Hmmm... Oh, Shuckle! Shuckle kicks Ho-Oh and Alakazam, lol. Porygon2 for burning Typhlosions [THAT was fun!] and Exeggutor for Leech Seed + Toxic + Explosion! They switch, they get Spikes dmg, plus the poison if they come back in. They don't switch, and they get Giga Drain + Toxic + Leech Seed. Fun!), give Quaggy Sandstorm, E-Quake, Rest and then either Haze or Surf. Give Skarmory W-Wind, Sandstorm (Curse is good, if you use Leftovers) and Drill Peck.

- - - - -
From what we've learned, it seems like you'd prefer girls dressed in ant costumes or something... -Kazuki (Regarding tl;dr)

Owner of the Power Advantage DBZ RPG
(www.poweradvantage.net)

From: High Prairie, AB, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr.E
Farting Nudist
Member # 696

Member Rated:
posted 03-18-2002 11:08 PM      Profile for Mr.E     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ghost is resistant to Bug...

- - - - -
MickHale18: nevermind, I'll pull out for a second
MickHale18: *pulls out finger*

From: Munchkin Land, Oz | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tghost
Farting Nudist
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
posted 03-19-2002 04:36 AM      Profile for Tghost   Author's Homepage   Email Tghost   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Heracross and Tyranitar also make a nice combo....

The Gyarados in that could probably make good use of Icy Wind...gives you the drop on Electric types sans Electrode if they switch in, possible KOs via Double-Edge once they're weakened, and otherwise it'll induce switching...

From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kid Vid2
I am a tub of earwax.
Member # 2514

Member Rated:
posted 03-20-2002 12:49 PM      Profile for Kid Vid2   Email Kid Vid2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LanderZRPG:
Other good combos:
Shuckle and Missy.

Shuckle has great defensive stats, but don't forget about Seismic Toss. Shuckle has very bad HP, and will most likely die to 3 tosses.

- - - - -
Clecky: waiting for things while on acid is weird
Clecky: beccause
Clecky: i lost that train of thought

From: cardbord box :((((((((((((( | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
tete
Farting Nudist
Member # 1410

Member Rated:
posted 03-22-2002 11:22 AM      Profile for tete   Email tete   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great idea...it was made way before tough...but anyways it's nice to see how good trainers think alike (me not good).

- - - - -
Snorlax Rules

From: Guatemala,Guatemala | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pokegod
Farting Nudist
Member # 977

posted 03-22-2002 03:43 PM      Profile for Pokegod     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kid Vid2:
Shuckle has great defensive stats, but don't forget about Seismic Toss. Shuckle has very bad HP, and will most likely die to 3 tosses.

But hey, guess what missy blocks?

[ 03-22-2002, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: Pokegod ]

- - - - -
Pokegod... yeah, that won't look dumb in 10 years

From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Pinsir_sama
Farting Nudist
Member # 2699

Member Rated:
posted 03-26-2002 07:27 PM      Profile for Pinsir_sama   Email Pinsir_sama   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
heres what i think the team would look like(sorry to intrude)
gyrados
steelix
three exploders or destinybonders
blissey

see, plode or dbond, or ptrap till only three on both sides are left(using the gyrados and steelix as bait) and ptrap or plode.
then, just go on a rampage, hoping you destroyed the hazer, the electric type, and the fire type/thing that knows a firemove. just rest bell.
sorry again

LanderZRPG
Got a whale of a tale to tell ya, lads!
Member # 1615

Member Rated:
posted 03-28-2002 10:42 AM      Profile for LanderZRPG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Found another combo:

Zapdos and Quagsire

Rocks beat Zappy, but not Quagsire.
Ice beats Zappy, and is normal vs Quagsire
Grass beats Quaggy, but not Zapdos.

Zapdos clears out Grass with Drill Peck.
Quagsire clears out Tyranitar with Surf/Earthquake, and Machamp with Earthquake, Rest, and Sandstorm.

Well, I think it's good...

- - - - -
From what we've learned, it seems like you'd prefer girls dressed in ant costumes or something... -Kazuki (Regarding tl;dr)

Owner of the Power Advantage DBZ RPG
(www.poweradvantage.net)

From: High Prairie, AB, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.