The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Omanyte Historical Foundation   » SPNAK (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: SPNAK
Jumpman16
Farting Nudist
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
posted 01-05-2002 02:34 AM      Profile for Jumpman16   Author's Homepage   Email Jumpman16   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ok, I figured that this discussion would benefit us all. This takes place on gsbot, after my opponent has already put one poke to sleep, and had *just* failed to do so to another.

<Jumpman16> Dude.
<Jumpman16> Sleep Clause.
<Jumpman16> You know that.
<Jumpman16> That's understood.
<Strider^> erm what?
<Strider^> You didn't say so
<Jumpman16> It's in the gsbot rules.
<Jumpman16> And understood EVERYWHERE.
<Strider^> I am not ignorant of the rules, but I believe public practices are not required be some formal
<Strider^> some = so*
<Jumpman16> Unless otherwise stated.
<Jumpman16> Which I didn't.
<Strider^> exactly.
<Strider^> so no mentioning of that.
<Jumpman16> I didn't state that things should be different.
<Jumpman16> So they shouldn't.
<Strider^> I would have gracefully accepted such a case if you said so, but you didn't.
<Jumpman16> It's understood.
<Jumpman16> As is the fact that using Übers is lame.
<Jumpman16> Do you want to continue or not?
<Strider^> No. I consider public practices to be anything goes, unless stated otherwise.
<Jumpman16> Why?
<Jumpman16> Why should it be different from ladderbot battles?
<Strider^> practice battles are anything goes.
<Strider^> unless stated otherwise.
<Strider^> I have did my move.
<Strider^> now do yours.
<Strider^> Or it will time out and I will win.
<Jumpman16> Win what?
<Jumpman16> A silly practice battle?
<Strider^> the practice.
<Strider^> now I can use that to contadict yourself.
<Strider^> so carry on please.
<Jumpman16> What's more fruitful, quabbling about a clause, or actually gaining something from this battle?
<Jumpman16> And contradict how?
<Strider^> besides, if my PKMN HAD put 2x your Pokemon asleep, then I would be moaning like yourself.

Talk about contradict. He didn't bother to correct himself...lol

<Strider^> ...
<Jumpman16> What's your point?
<Strider^> you are acting childish.
<Strider^> you brought up the 'clause'
<Strider^> so carry on with the battle
<Jumpman16> That's why I'm bringing it up now, before you try that lame shit again.
<Strider^> lame?
<Strider^> if it was so lame, why did 100+ beta testers of all ages give it the go?
<Jumpman16> lol
<Jumpman16> You're not getting it.
<Strider^> the attacks that are under the 'clause' section are not ours to be used.
<Jumpman16> The sleep clause is understood.
<Jumpman16> wtf?
<Jumpman16> It's gsbot rules.
<Jumpman16> Fanny made gsbot.
<Jumpman16> Fanny made the clause.
<Strider^> be a dear and give me these rules then please?
<Jumpman16> You can use Lugia of whoever the fuck you want on your cartridge.
<Jumpman16> Ask Fanny.
<Jumpman16> I got them when I was at home.
<Jumpman16> It's in there.
<Jumpman16> And understood everywhere.
<Jumpman16> I don't know where you've battled...
<Strider^> be a dear and give me these rules then please?
<Strider^> well sir,
<Jumpman16> ...but practive doesn't mean "omfg i can use l0geea now!!"
<Strider^> I have battle at least 50+ opponents and only you, one of many, has made such a big deal. Others who would act like you state what rules they wish to have in.
<Strider^> battle = battled^
<Strider^> battle = battled*
<Jumpman16> ...
<Strider^> apologies for my grammar.
<Jumpman16> Sleep clause is understood.
<Strider^> and trust me, I have had stakes much higher then a practice battle.
<Jumpman16> You're silly to suggest otherwise.
<Jumpman16> On gsbot.
<Strider^> this is gsbot
<Strider^> I am talking about.
<Jumpman16> Fact remains that slp clause is understood.
<Jumpman16> No matted what gsbot battle it is.
<Strider^> and at least 20+ of those opponents have been in a predicament where 3x of their Pokemon have been put to sleep
<Strider^> did they complain?
<Strider^> no.
<Strider^> did they carry on like babies?
<Strider^> no.
<Jumpman16> lol
<Jumpman16> Guess what?
<Strider^> did they ask me not to attempt to multiple sleep?
<Strider^> no, because they didn't mind.
<Strider^> it is Pokemon.
<Strider^> a game
<Jumpman16> They're either n00bs that think that sleep clause is not understood, or they didn't care.
<Jumpman16> Fact is, I did.
<Strider^> full of fun, more then rules
<Strider^> ok
<Jumpman16> That's why I mentioned it.
<Jumpman16> lol
<Strider^> explain.
<Jumpman16> Sleep clause is instituted to make this game more fun.
<Jumpman16> But that's besides the point.
<Strider^> pssh
<Strider^> you are acting niave.
<Jumpman16> lol, you can't honestly say that you don't think sleep clause is understood.
<Strider^> Rebuild your team to deal with sleep, as I have done.
<Jumpman16> And don't tell me about naďve.
<Strider^> no, I just didn't think anyone would care so much.
<Jumpman16> Well I do.
<Jumpman16> And since you didn't wanna accomodate...
<Strider^> I only humble requests that are made before the game.
<Jumpman16> ...I come to the conclusion that you can't get by without your precious slp.
<Strider^> maybe..
<Strider^> I could have paralysed you,
<Jumpman16> Well then I'm surprised that more people haven't quit on you.
<Jumpman16> So?
<Strider^> then battered you with confuse rays
<Jumpman16> So?
<Strider^> so?
<Jumpman16> There's no clause against that.
<Strider^> if you want me to beat you in a more dull fashion,
<Strider^> then I will.
<Strider^> good day sir.
<Jumpman16> Dull isn't the question.
<Jumpman16> lol SPNAK if you leave.

And he doesn't reply.

So...honestly, who is right? Is it really true that practice battles are understood to be a free for all? Or is the sleep clause understood in battle, besides it being stated in the gsbot rules? Because I think it'd benefit us all to know what others think on this case—I'd be more than willing to concede defeat if it really is the case that practice battles are free-for-alls and clauses are disregarded.

Oh, and I dug up the rules.

----------
VII. Rules
----------

Please follow the following rules while using this simulator. These rules will be interpretted using common sense, so there are no loopholes and accidents will be forgiven. Violation of these rules will result in an address mask to prevent you from using this bot until further notice.

1. Please be aware of default rules: the default rules for a match, when unstated, should be: all Pokémon and movesets availible in Nintendo of America released Pokémon games without the use of a game-enhancing device, with the Sleep Clause and Species Clause in effect. There is no official punishment for disobeying these, but it is rude to assume different rules without clearly agreeing to do so with your opponent.

From: Where they make Heinz® ketchup | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
DarkLickitung
I AM FRIENDS WITH ZACK_COMRADE IRL
Member # 1672

Member Rated:
posted 01-05-2002 02:51 AM      Profile for DarkLickitung   Email DarkLickitung   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You should have told him to type "help".

Eh, he's a moron. Ain't that the same guy who tried to pull out a IBeam/TBolt Gyarados on your Blissey?

Anyways, yeah, it's understood that sleep clause is always in effect, and as I understand it, anyone who breaks it without permission of the opponent can expect a nice akick if the person who was victimized complains to Fanha.

[EDIT] Added last two words

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: DarkLickitung ]

- - - - -
Nine out of ten Zacks endorse stupidity.

From: See You Auntie. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Turbo X
Farting Nudist
Member # 1808

posted 01-05-2002 03:17 AM      Profile for Turbo X     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A few points

1.) Who was winning the match at that point?

2.) How many Ubers did he have and what were the movesets?

3.) You still shoulda kicked his ass in true Azure fashion.

- - - - -
I mean, goldfish lamp wallpaper skeleton in my Bavarian Star or what? Flowers mirror computer Smurfs every time Moses flies playing cards in or around Paris.

From: N-town, PA, U.S. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cesar
Farting Nudist
Member # 529

Member Rated:
posted 01-05-2002 03:54 AM      Profile for Cesar   Email Cesar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You should have told him that the gsbot takes the same basic rules as stadium where freeze and sleep cluase are mandatory (in most cases).

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: Cesar ]

From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk
Happy Good Times Fortune Happiness Happity Hocks Cat-Gonk Happifier
Member # 14

Member Rated:
posted 01-05-2002 04:32 AM      Profile for Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And you chose to fight him instead of me. Shame on you, Jumpman.

You should also add that the stupid prole couldn't even get the thing working in the first place..exactly how long were you waiting, ayway?

- - - - -
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jetblackvalias

From: Perth, Western Australia. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jumpman16
Farting Nudist
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
posted 01-05-2002 04:45 AM      Profile for Jumpman16   Author's Homepage   Email Jumpman16   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
LOL, like ten minutes. His team was on evilgsbot2, the least popular bot there, so he made me move mine. Weak.

Cesar: You should have told him that the gsbot takes the same basic rules as stadium where freeze and sleep cluase are mandatory (in most cases).

I did that, but he was stuck on his "if it was so lame, why did 100+ beta testers of all ages give it the go?" shit.

DL: You should have told him to type "help".

For some reason I didn't feel like it, even though that's where I got the the Rules later.

Eh, he's a moron. Ain't that the same guy who tried to pull out a IBeam/TBolt Gyarados on your Blissey?

LOL, yeah, we all had a nice laugh in #pokebattle when Leftovers completely healed the "damage" dome by I-Beam.

TurboX: 1.) Who was winning the match at that point?

He was, by one poke, by virtue of a lame CH S-Ball on my Eggy from Gengar. But my 'Lax was about to get cursed up when he attempted to violate the sleep clause, which is when I warned him not to attempt Hypnosis again.

2.) How many Ubers did he have and what were the movesets?

None, but I was trying to make the point that just because it's a practice battle doesn't mean that it's some wild free-for-all—that, if anything, a practice battle would suggest that ones would actually practice what constitutes a normal battle, which includes the clauses that I was under the impression go without saying.

3.) You still shoulda kicked his ass in true Azure fashion.

I felt like practicing a real battle, not one in which anything goes. I'm still a n00b to this game, and I would like to stick by the same guidelines as everyone else so I can learn as I battle.

And, on the off chance that you meant a verbal Azurian ass-kicking, that's not easy to do when he decides to ignore logic. That's why I had to declare SPNAK on his ass.

- - - - -
A pile of dead Jews was hysterical because this one Jew was being so annoying, and because it made him whine so entertainingly.
—Our beloved Toby, on why anti-semitism is funny

Face
I invented cancer.
Member # 1916

Member Rated:
posted 01-05-2002 12:07 PM      Profile for Face   Author's Homepage   Email Face   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
XD...i think he's a mod at TPM...XD

- - - - -
Weezing!

From: Hackensack, nj | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
SDShamshel
Farting Nudist
Member # 791

Member Rated:
posted 01-05-2002 12:23 PM      Profile for SDShamshel   Email SDShamshel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't believe sleep clause as we know it was designed to make the game more fair the way we know it.

The purpose of Sleep Clause was for 3 on 3 battles. Think about it. Let's just say there's no sleep clause and an opponent puts 2 of your Pokemon to sleep. That's 2/3's of the team debilitated.

Personally, I think in a 6 on 6 environment, Sleep Clause should be that only 2 Pokemon can be asleep at a time. I think that would make more sense.

- - - - -
Pretty de Cure Cure
Futari wa Precure

LanderZRPG
Got a whale of a tale to tell ya, lads!
Member # 1615

Member Rated:
posted 01-05-2002 03:47 PM      Profile for LanderZRPG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm.... Intriguing...

Well, for starters...
You blew your top, Jumpman. Lost all composure, and began resorting to whatever you could think of. That in itself is frowned upon, especially given that he is probably not 'educated in our ways', and may be an idiot, himself, but in that log, you show yourself to be rash, irrational, and more-or-less the antagonist of the arguement.

On the other hand, you could simply have asked him not to do it again, or to waste time until your pokemon woke up (Like use the sleep attack over and over until you awaken, then continue).

Lastly, although it IS just a practise battle, which in itself should occasion No comments, he was ignorant of the rules, like all of us were at one point, and one can hope that he learns from it. Which, he probably won't from this experience, because he probably thought he was dealing with a 7 year old who's ego is the size of Bin Laden's Hideout...(I apologize for that note, but my point is made).

Not much else to say; It didn't count for anything, so it really shouldn't matter.

- - - - -
From what we've learned, it seems like you'd prefer girls dressed in ant costumes or something... -Kazuki (Regarding tl;dr)

Owner of the Power Advantage DBZ RPG
(www.poweradvantage.net)

From: High Prairie, AB, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
St George
Farting Nudist
Member # 1923

Member Rated:
posted 01-05-2002 04:59 PM      Profile for St George   Email St George   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One thing that is very apparent to me, is that "Fanny Rules", and has always done so......

Regards,

St George

- - - - -
A.D.D. = Attention. Deficient. Disorder = Take your tablets when you get a blood rush, or better still, do something useful with the extra blood - get a girl friend, not Claris the Computer ;-)

From: Quensland Australia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
SDShamshel
Farting Nudist
Member # 791

Member Rated:
posted 01-05-2002 05:15 PM      Profile for SDShamshel   Email SDShamshel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Saaay, Jorge, are YOU Fanha's secret identity?
Donald
Bob the Builder
Member # 1551

Member Rated:
posted 01-05-2002 05:27 PM      Profile for Donald   Email Donald      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My question is, does this poor idiot know what SPNAK is?
From: In your girl's panties | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jumpman16
Farting Nudist
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
posted 01-05-2002 06:24 PM      Profile for Jumpman16   Author's Homepage   Email Jumpman16   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
LanderZRPG: You blew your top, Jumpman. Lost all composure, and began resorting to whatever you could think of.

lol

Since when is "resorting to" logic "blowing my top?"

...especially given that he is probably not 'educated in our ways'...

<Strider^> I have battle at least 50+ opponents...

...and may be an idiot, himself...

<Strider^> I am not ignorant of the rules...

That clear things up a bit?

...you show yourself to be rash, irrational...

Heh, what's irrational about stating that the Sleep Clause is understood in the metagame of gsbot and online battling in general?

On the other hand, you could simply have asked him not to do it again, or to waste time until your pokemon woke up (Like use the sleep attack over and over until you awaken, then continue).

Did you actually read the log?

...after my opponent has already put one poke to sleep, and had *just* failed to do so to another.

<Jumpman16> Dude.

He hadn't broken the clause yet, but that was due to Hynosis' shit accuracy. But he was intent on using it again, I'm sure, due to his "free-for-all" practice tactics.

I guess I have to spell out that this was an ultimatum—either try to put my 'Lax to sleep again and I quit, as I like to keep to understood clauses, or he can try another attack (which was probably impossible, as he most likely chose Hypnosis again).

<Jumpman16> That's why I'm bringing it up now, before you try that lame shit again.

Lastly, although it IS just a practise battle, which in itself should occasion No comments...

Not when clauses that go without saying are broken, and the perpetrator in no way wants to rectify the situation.

...he was ignorant of the rules...

lmao

<Strider^> I am not ignorant of the rules...

Look familiar?

...because he probably thought he was dealing with a 7 year old who's ego is the size of Bin Laden's Hideout...(I apologize for that note, but my point is made).

What relevance does my ego have to this discussion?

Oh, and that analogy doesn't quite work—if bin Laden hideout were *that* big, we'd've found him already.

It didn't count for anything, so it really shouldn't matter.

<Jumpman16> What's more fruitful, quabbling about a clause, or actually gaining something from this battle?

I haven't battled that much on gsbot, but I do know that I don't want to practice things that aren't in the norm of the metagame.

Random Loser
Farting Nudist
Member # 1538

Member Rated:
posted 01-05-2002 07:46 PM      Profile for Random Loser   Email Random Loser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I'm with DL on this one...
quote:
1. Please be aware of default rules: the default rules for a match, when unstated, should be: all Pokémon and movesets availible in Nintendo of America released Pokémon games without the use of a game-enhancing device, with the Sleep Clause and Species Clause in effect. There is no official punishment for disobeying these, but it is rude to assume different rules without clearly agreeing to do so with your opponent.
Meh, plain as day.

From: Uni of Virginny | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Member # 14

Member Rated:
posted 01-05-2002 10:13 PM      Profile for Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LanderZRPG:
You blew your top, Jumpman. Lost all composure, and began resorting to whatever you could think of. That in itself is frowned upon, especially given that he is probably not 'educated in our ways', and may be an idiot, himself, but in that log, you show yourself to be rash, irrational, and more-or-less the antagonist of the arguement.

roffle, you'd think it wouldn't be so difficult for people to read posts..

LanderZRPG
Member # 1615

Member Rated:
posted 01-07-2002 10:06 AM      Profile for LanderZRPG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jumpman16:
Did you actually read the log?

...after my opponent has already put one poke to sleep, and had *just* failed to do so to another.

<Jumpman16> Dude.

He hadn't broken the clause yet, but that was due to Hynosis' shit accuracy. But he was intent on using it again, I'm sure, due to his "free-for-all" practice tactics.

If I were to say "I'm God!!" Doesn't mean it's true, to clear up the 'ignorance of the rules' bit. He can say he's not ignorant all he wants; Doesn't mean he's not. As for battling 50+ people, it could be a wild boast, for all it matters.

And as for the part about the Sleep Clause bit, I was stating that, since he was using Hypnosis again that turn (He said he had already attacked, and chances are high that he used it again) if your pokemon fell asleep, you could ask him to wait.

And yes, I had read the log.

But you began rambling on about stuff of no relevance; I lost you once you started going into Luuuugeeeea, and I wouldn't be surprised if he had stopped reading what you were saying, either.

"<Jumpman16> I didn't state that things should be different.
<Jumpman16> So they shouldn't."

If I were him, once I got to this line, I would have immediately imagined that 7-year old kid with his head-with-a-15-meter-diameter due to an oversized ego.

<Strider^> No. I consider public practices to be anything goes, unless stated otherwise.

Ignorant of the rules. Need I say more?

<Jumpman16> Win what?

When you start contradicting yourself that badly, it's called 'rambling-on'. You have just been complaining about the 'discipline' of ANY battle, practise or not, and how practise shouldn't differ from ladderbot, and follow up by stating that it's just "A silly practice battle".

<Strider^> you are acting childish.

I hate to go against fellow Azurians, and argue for the idiot, but the kid had a point...

<Strider^> if it was so lame, why did 100+ beta testers of all ages give it the go?

Back to the 'ignorance' and 'idiocy' bit...

<Jumpman16> On gsbot.

Once again, not true. Several idiots parouse the GSbot. It SHOULD be understood, but isn't always.

<Jumpman16> They're either n00bs that think that sleep clause is not understood, or they didn't care.

Now you say it's not understood? Once again, contradicting yourself doesn't make your arguements any more valid, or preferable to read.

After that, Styrder starts talking about how he could have used Parafusion or some such... No clue what his point was there. the naďvity arguement was funny, though, on both sides. Neither one of you seemed to have any clue more of where the other one was coming from/what the other one was thinking than you had at the start, or so you showed, there.

roffle, you'd think it wouldn't be so difficult for people to read posts..

1) Is roffle the phoenetic version of rofl?
2) I had read the post; your quote didn't seem to point towards anything that indicated I hadn't. If you had quoted my part on waiting the sleep out, which I had poorly explained, then that might make a little more sense.

Just clearing things up, with quotes, since no-one seemed to understand me the first time.
Once again, I'm not pleased to be stating negative things about Azurians, but I call them as I see them, and Jump WAS being rash, whatever you want to try to argue against that.

- - - - -
From what we've learned, it seems like you'd prefer girls dressed in ant costumes or something... -Kazuki (Regarding tl;dr)

(www.poweradvantage.net)

Fish
Farting Nudist
Member # 267

Member Rated:
posted 01-07-2002 10:17 AM      Profile for Fish     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think I like Lander Z...

Beating Jumpman at his own game makes me laugh. Most people just try to ignore the Jump ego train, cause it's usually an endless battle.

Jumpman16
Farting Nudist
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
posted 01-07-2002 01:11 PM      Profile for Jumpman16   Author's Homepage   Email Jumpman16   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
LanderZRPG: If I were to say "I'm God!!" Doesn't mean it's true, to clear up the 'ignorance of the rules' bit. He can say he's not ignorant all he wants; Doesn't mean he's not. As for battling 50+ people, it could be a wild boast, for all it matters.

Proclaiming that you're God is very different that simply stating that you are not ignorant of the rules that most non-newbies know about the gsbot.

And since no one (besides maybe Cat-Gonk himself, lol) has a bigger ego than me, why would I initially want to assume that his statement that he's partaken in over 50 battles is some wild boast of an ego trip? There no logical reason for me to do so, and I didn't. I wanted to keep to the possibility that he *just* might be an authority on that particual subject (that he knows the rules of gsbot and the way people normally choose to battle), as he has participated in over five times as many battles that I myself has. What good does it do me to automatically assume that he's lying about that, as you have?

But you began rambling on about stuff of no relevance; I lost you once you started going into Luuuugeeeea...

<Jumpman16> It's understood.
<Jumpman16> As is the fact that using Übers is lame.

How is that irrelevant, especially since I brought up the similarity very early in our discussion? He implied, by his belief that "public practices are not required be so formal," that no clauses, whether or not they are understood, are to be respected. This includes the Species Clause, the Sleep Clause (which, I reiterate, are not only understood, but in the rules of gsbot), and certainly any using of Übers. After all, just because things like this aren't laid out beforehand dosn't mean that one can't find it lame when they occur in the middle of a battle, where such things are expected to be understood.

If I were him, once I got to this line, I would have immediately imagined that 7-year old kid with his head-with-a-15-meter-diameter due to an oversized ego.

Heh, if that's the way you want to take it, be my guest. Just like you refuse to believe the potential fact that he may not have been ignorant of the rules—you formulate your opinions of people far too early. What I quite obviously meant by this statement (an apparentness that one that's formed a rather silly bias against me that I have a big ego would fail to view in an objective light) was that neither I nor he stated that anything in this battle should be different than the norm of battles that take place on the gsbot. (And, for the last time, I will state that "normal" includes all the clauses and regulations that are in the gsbot rules, which are understood by those who battle on the gsbot and certainly by the many people who, in this thread, are in agreement with me on what is indeed "normal" for gsbot.) For further clarification:

<Strider^> You didn't say so
<Strider^> I would have gracefully accepted such a case if you said so, but you didn't.

If you want to label someone as having a big ego because they want the battle to have a certain flow, be my guest. Strider surely wouldn't have thought me to have a big ego, as he would have "gracefully accepted such a case" had I said so beforehand, which I regret I hadn't. But just because I said "I didn't state that things should be different, so they shouldn't " doesn't mean I have a big ego—it means that neither of us gave any reasons why this battle should be different from a "normal" battle.

<Jumpman16> Win what?

When you start contradicting yourself that badly, it's called 'rambling-on'. You have just been complaining about the 'discipline' of ANY battle, practise or not, and how practise shouldn't differ from ladderbot, and follow up by stating that it's just "A silly practice battle".

I knew I'd have to come back to this, as most of you probably didn't know where I was going with this. You are correct in thinking that this is a contradiction, but look a little bit more closely (and, I reiterate, don't be so quick to judge or bias people, as it clouds your judgement). He was talking about taking the win:

<Strider^> I have did my move.
<Strider^> now do yours.
<Strider^> Or it will time out and I will win.

I had to remind him that there is a more important objective than winning a 10-minute-old "practice" battle—and that is to actually take something away from the battle. Sure, by downplaying the battle as a whole, I seemed to contradict myself, but actually, I wanted to downplay the only importance that the battle seemed to have for him: winning. As I said in my second post, I felt like practicing a real battle, not one in which anything goes. I'm still a n00b to this game, and I would like to stick by the same guidelines as everyone else so I can learn as I battle. And that's not gonna happen if he solely intent on the battle "timing out" and him taking a silly win. Again:

I hope that clears things up.

<Jumpman16> On gsbot.

Once again, not true. Several idiots parouse the GSbot. It SHOULD be understood, but isn't always.

Now you say it's not understood? Once again, contradicting yourself doesn't make your arguements any more valid, or preferable to read.

Yeah, I'm gonna kill two birds with one stone here. I would think that Sleep Clause is understood by someone who has battled over 50 times on gsbot. (And, as I stated before, there's no reason to believe that he's lying about this, or that he'd still be a n00b that had never come across this general understanding.) I find it incredibly hard to believe that in his 50+ battles, he hadn't heard of the Sleep Clause. As for the second part of this quote, I didn't say that the Sleep Clause wasn't understood—I said that you're a n00b to gsbot or online battling in general if you think that the Sleep Clause is not understood. There's a big difference there, one that you miss because you're so intent on thinking that I contradicted myself.

Finally, I would like to state that this discussion only took a turn to the argumentative when Lander decided to attack me personally, and not just objectively disagree with my belief that the Sleep Clause is understood. I didn't start this thread to get into an argument; I just wanted to know what others people thought about this, as I am surely not an expert on the case, since I've only battled a handful of times, like I've said before. To quote from my original post:

So...honestly, who is right? Is it really true that practice battles are understood to be a free for all? Or is the sleep clause understood in battle, besides it being stated in the gsbot rules? Because I think it'd benefit us all to know what others think on this case—I'd be more than willing to concede defeat if it really is the case that practice battles are free-for-alls and clauses are disregarded.

Like the original practice battle, this discussion isn't about "fighting and winning," it is merely supposed to be a dialogue between us Azurians on what we udnerstand is the correct method of battles on the gsbot. Two things become clear now, though—most everyone does indeed believe that the sleep clause is understood (which isn't me winning some argument, as it just confirms what I suspected all along but couldn't be sure everyone else did since Strider was said to have battled five times as much as I had), and it's harder than I thought to have a discussion without it turning into a potential flame war.

Zerot
I pay schoolgirls to verbally abuse me.
Member # 1295

Member Rated:
posted 01-07-2002 03:04 PM      Profile for Zerot   Author's Homepage   Email Zerot   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think ya both are morons...

...wvu Jump!

From: Lizton, Indiana | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
SDShamshel
Farting Nudist
Member # 791

Member Rated:
posted 01-07-2002 04:42 PM      Profile for SDShamshel   Email SDShamshel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I laugh at the fact that you people nitpick every small word. It's not like the other side crafted a beautiful essay over a span of 5 days. These posts are written on the fly. There's bound to be some discrepancies.

So in conclusion...

Ha ha.

Member # 14

Member Rated:
posted 01-07-2002 10:44 PM      Profile for Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I lost you once you started going into Luuuugeeeea, and I wouldn't be surprised if he had stopped reading what you were saying, either.

He mentioned Legendaries three times, and Jumpman was highlighting the fact that rules should still apply.

As for battling 50+ people, it could be a wild boast, for all it matters.

Could be?

There are better ways to take quotes out of context.

_Neither_of them stated that things should be different to normal. It's interesting how people always seem to cry "Ego!" when searching for points, I get that a lot at well.

Ignorant of the rules. Need I say more?

I believe that (EDIT) one of the reasons for this thread existing is to point and laugh at some prole's ignorance, and the other to discuss the accepted rules for practice battles.

Heat of the moment typo? One misplaced word is hardly worthy of a paragraph, let alone the brand of "rambling on"..

Back to the 'ignorance' and 'idiocy' bit...

Back to the "you have missed the point" bit..

1) Is roffle the phoenetic version of rofl?

Yeah, just a little habit I picked up.

2) I had read the post; your quote didn't seem to point towards anything that indicated I hadn't. If you had quoted my part on waiting the sleep out, which I had poorly explained, then that might make a little more sense.

I was referring to the post in general, that was just the part that made me laugh the most when I read it.

Jump WAS being rash, whatever you want to try to argue against that.

If Strider hadn't gone on to debate the point instead of simply saying "I made a simple mistake, what's your problem?", I'd have agreed with you.

EDIT: Simply picking up on minor typos, wouldn't want LanderZ to accuse me of "rambling on" now would we?

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk ]

- - - - -

Mewone
I have a pokemon as my username. I mean, come on.
Member # 1694

Member Rated:
posted 01-07-2002 11:03 PM      Profile for Mewone     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is what makes Pokémon both fun and funny. XD
From: Azure Heights | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Member # 14

Member Rated:
posted 01-07-2002 11:03 PM      Profile for Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And since no one (besides maybe Cat-Gonk himself, lol) has a bigger ego than me

:-*

That's twice, Jumpman..

Finally, I would like to state that this discussion only took a turn to the argumentative when Lander decided to attack me personally, and not just objectively disagree with my belief that the Sleep Clause is understood. I didn't start this thread to get into an argument

Well, I won't deny that I'm in this thread for the argument.

Because I think it'd benefit us all to know what others think on this case—I'd be more than willing to concede defeat if it really is the case that practice battles are free-for-alls and clauses are disregarded.

I'd say it's pretty safe just to file this incident under "commoner ignorance". If we take "practice" to mean "not ranked on Ladderbot", people used the rules long before Ladderbot came around, so why stop now? And if we want to get legal about it, Fanny's rules don't say "For Ladderbots Only".

It's harder than I thought to have a discussion without it turning into a potential flame war.

Welcome to my world

- - - - -

LanderZRPG
Member # 1615

Member Rated:
posted 01-07-2002 11:38 PM      Profile for LanderZRPG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SDShamshel:
These posts are written on the fly.

This seems to be the only big point left; And that is simply what I'm agreeing with. Present-time experiences aren't perfectly crafted to be pieces of famous english-works, they are done "on the fly", but one can still achieve some level of discipline in the process.
Regardless to ego, and everything, it is clear to me that Jumpman knows what he is arguing about, and thus has the skills and capability to express himself very well. Unless I'm mistaken, and he spent like an hour writing one of his replies, he can write fairly well even with little preparation.

Now, when he was speaking to Stryder, he was not clarifying what he wanted to say very well, he was contradicting himself in places (Or so it is seen by the reader, but he has shown that he can go without the contradictions, as well), and all-around sloppy work, when compared to his posts.

Possible, and likely probably cause of this:
He was perturbed about the Clause being broken, hence the language and some bad words (SPNAK! Gah! My virgin ears! ), thus showing he WAS being rash at the time. Had he remained calm, and explained himself like he had, here, the point would have been conveyed much more efficiently, and there would be little to debate about.

Any disputes with this reasoning?

- - - - -

(www.poweradvantage.net)

Jumpman16
Farting Nudist
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
posted 01-08-2002 12:32 AM      Profile for Jumpman16   Author's Homepage   Email Jumpman16   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
LanderZRPG: Regardless to ego, and everything, it is clear to me that Jumpman knows what he is arguing about, and thus has the skills and capability to express himself very well.

Thank you.

Now, when he was speaking to Stryder, he was not clarifying what he wanted to say very well, he was contradicting himself in places (Or so it is seen by the reader, but he has shown that he can go without the contradictions, as well), and all-around sloppy work, when compared to his posts.

I won't deny it. When he said that I'd contradicted myself (where you did too, of course) I realized that it'd've taken a while to explain what I meant by "silly," and why I chose to use that word in particular.

Present-time experiences aren't perfectly crafted to be pieces of famous english-works...

Again, correct. I (and many other people, but myself especially) am far more coherent when I have time to formulate my responses, which is why Strider wasn't so quick to get what I was saying. Either that, or he's an ignorant fool, like you said.

That said, I do not find my *posts* to be on the fly, as I take the time to make them, as you noticed in my "hour-long" post. So I guess that's the only "dispute with this reasoning" that I have. In chats is where my words are on the fly, but you yourself would kinda be contradicting yourself if you think that my posts come rashly outta my ass.

He was perturbed about the Clause being broken, hence the language and some bad words (SPNAK! Gah! My virgin ears! ), thus showing he WAS being rash at the time. Had he remained calm, and explained himself like he had, here, the point would have been conveyed much more efficiently, and there would be little to debate about.

Yes, but I reiterate, he hadn't actually broken the clause yet, but he was set on trying to use Sleep again. So rather than take the time to convey my point more clearly (especially to this guy, in hindsight) and risk us coming to a consensus just as the battle timed out, I had to act fast, or rashly, and give him an ultimatum.

Fish
Farting Nudist
Member # 267

Member Rated:
posted 01-08-2002 03:56 AM      Profile for Fish     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
...reiterate...

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Fish151PKMN ]

Noisy Phanpy
Farting Nudist
Member # 2394

Member Rated:
posted 01-08-2002 09:12 AM      Profile for Noisy Phanpy   Email Noisy Phanpy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cesar:
You should have told him that the gsbot takes the same basic rules as stadium where freeze and sleep cluase are mandatory (in most cases).

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: Cesar ]

Same rules? I think not.
Almost any Pokemon in the mIRC has Leftovers attached to it, I'm quite sure people didn't buy Stadium 2 since they hate the Item Clause so much. Or they're just afraid to seem as *newbies* in front of their friends (why TPMers, of course!).

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Noisy Phanpy ]

From: Ruins Of Alph | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Charmeleon42
Date Rapist
Member # 1066

Member Rated:
posted 01-09-2002 03:57 AM      Profile for Charmeleon42   Author's Homepage   Email Charmeleon42   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The initial debate with Strider^ could have been better won by saying something to the effect of:

Since I didn't make any statement of any special changes to the rules of the game, then no special rules to the game has been made, therefore taking a default status. The default for Sleep Clause is "On", therefore, Sleep Clause is by default on, unless otherwise said.

Not only on when stated.

From: Mountain Dew Land | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Member # 14

Member Rated:
posted 01-09-2002 07:42 PM      Profile for Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fish151PKMN:
...reiterate...

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Fish151PKMN ]

I'm willing to bet that Fish went through Jumpman's entire post, and all he could find to work with was a typo.

Crazed Aipom
Farting Nudist
Member # 1575

Member Rated:
posted 01-09-2002 08:32 PM      Profile for Crazed Aipom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Quite frankly, I don't believe this. This is why I stopped playing pokemon in the first place (that and the fact the the average maturity age had dropped into single digits). Really though, if you're just playing to be playing, it shouldn't matter if there are any rules. Whenever I played someone who broke this danged sleep clause watzit, I just shrugged it off and presumed to play as if nothing happened. It's a perfecty legal move and everybody know that.

I thought it was pretty funny, though, where Jump was using the 'fanny said it and I always do what fanny says and you should too cause he's god'. What a fucking pussy. That's all I can say there.

The point here isn't the fact that that one guy broke a rule, it's that Jump wasn't mature enough to handle it in a good manner and had to do what he always does and start a 5 page argument with the poor guy and then make a topic about it and retort every friggin one line comment with a paragraph or two of utter crap.

On a bit of a side note, I'm really glad that Shamshel pointed out that bit about sleep clause being for 3 on 3 battles originally, an that you should really be able to put 2 to sleep in 6 on 6 if you're playing with that silly rule. I've had this philosophy on my mind for about a year now but no one else ever seemed to think about or care about this fact. It seems that no one still does since no one else gave the post a second thought, I think, I don't have the mental capacity to read through most of the Jumpshit and retain my sanity at the same time. Shamshel gets a thumbs up.

quote:
Originally posted by Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk:

I'm willing to bet that Fish went through Jumpman's entire post, and all he could find to work with was a typo.

I'm willing to bet that Fish was making a mockery of Jumpman's most vital weapon, and that is the ability to slam people into the ground by taking their post apart with tweezers and exploiting every little detail, mainly typos, bad grammar, and the like.

Of course, that'just my opinion, I could be wrong.

From: www.turntherobotoff.com | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fish
Farting Nudist
Member # 267

Member Rated:
posted 01-09-2002 10:51 PM      Profile for Fish     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Actually, I never take the time to read his tripe, I skimmed it and it popped out since it was the last thing I saw, being at the bottom of the thread and all. pm sounds about right though, so sure, I'll go with what he said.

It would be futile for me to formulate an argument seeing as how Lander already did a better job than I could have. That and I don't have the time for an endless debate.

(edit) I am also willing to bet that Jump told Gonk to post that.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Fish151PKMN ]

Member # 14

Member Rated:
posted 01-09-2002 10:51 PM      Profile for Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wait a minute, it's not even a typo.

Oh dear, don't I look stupid..

Member # 14

Member Rated:
posted 01-09-2002 11:08 PM      Profile for Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought it was pretty funny, though, where Jump was using the 'fanny said it and I always do what fanny says and you should too cause he's god'. What a fucking pussy. That's all I can say there.

Fair enough, let's slam the great majority of GSBot players as well. Sure, I complain about Evade Clause but it doesn't mean I'll ignore it simply because I know that Fanny is an idiot.

The point here isn't the fact that that one guy broke a rule, it's that Jump wasn't mature enough to handle it in a good manner and had to do what he always does and start a 5 page argument with the poor guy and then make a topic about it and retort every friggin one line comment with a paragraph or two of utter crap.

Funny, I thought that the point was to discuss the rules behind practice battles. Obviously that got lost somewhere.

I've had this philosophy on my mind for about a year now but no one else ever seemed to think about or care about this fact.

Agreed, I'd have thought that the proles would have agreed to tone down Sleep Clause because of the changes in GS as well, but the mob has spoken..

I'm willing to bet that Fish was making a mockery of Jumpman's most vital weapon, and that is the ability to slam people into the ground by taking their post apart with tweezers and exploiting every little detail, mainly typos, bad grammar, and the like.

Funny, LanderZ did the same thing, claiming that Jumpman was "rambling on" simply because of one misplaced "silly".

I'm amazed at how much this little discussion has escalated. Hell, next we'll be seeing Pornbot in here..

- - - - -

Member # 14

Member Rated:
posted 01-09-2002 11:11 PM      Profile for Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fish151PKMN:
(edit) I am also willing to bet that Jump told Gonk to post that.

Nice work Fish. If only you were right.

I don't like it when crackheads harass my friends. End of story.

- - - - -

Jumpman16
Farting Nudist
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
posted 01-09-2002 11:51 PM      Profile for Jumpman16   Author's Homepage   Email Jumpman16   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CA: It's a perfecty legal move and everybody know that.

If you're referring to the breaking of the clause itself being perfectly legal, then you'd have no problem with facing a couple of Übers, as this is "legal" by your definition. (Of course, you're too mature for this game...)

...'fanny said it and I always do what fanny says and you should too cause he's god'. What a fucking pussy. That's all I can say there.

Fine job twisting my words. I recall giving him two reasons as to why he shouldn't break the sleep clause—it's understood in online battling (more important), and it's in the rules. What's so wrong with that?

You'll notice that I said that this only took a turn to the argumentative when Lander attacked me. If you look back to the original post, you'll find that the only "nitpicking" I did was on Strider's lack of fixing his typo. All I did was cut and paste the log, and post it here so you guys could decide not merely who's "right or wrong," but what goes as "normal" for battling. Again:

“Is it really true that practice battles are understood to be a free for all? Or is the sleep clause understood in battle, besides it being stated in the gsbot rules?”

Not:

“I'm right, guys, right? RIGHT?”

Of course, like I've said before, if you're biased against me for whatever reason, it'll have an effect on the way you read my "tripe."

...an that you should really be able to put 2 to sleep in 6 on 6 if you're playing with that silly rule. I've had this philosophy on my mind for about a year now but no one else ever seemed to think about or care about this fact.

Sorry, but it's because it has no relevance to this particular case. You know what's understood in online battling, and so does most everyone else. If you really want things to be this way, why don't you start battling again, create a thread about your "philoophy" and see what responses it gets?

...I don't have the mental capacity to read through most of the Jumpshit and retain my sanity at the same time.

...so, you...actually go ahead and read it, attempt to find flaws with my argument, and then post about it, remembering, of course, to add that you risked your own well-being of mind in the process.

...Jumpman's most vital weapon, and that is the ability to slam people into the ground by taking their post apart with tweezers and exploiting every little detail, mainly typos, bad grammar, and the like.

Heh, show me where I once picked on Lander's grammar or typos and I'll humbly apologize.

Fish: (edit) I am also willing to bet that Jump told Gonk to post that.

lol, whatever makes you happy, man.

Crazed Aipom
Farting Nudist
Member # 1575

Member Rated:
posted 01-10-2002 12:03 AM      Profile for Crazed Aipom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fair enough, let's slam the great majority of GSBot players as well. Sure, I complain about Evade Clause but it doesn't mean I'll ignore it simply because I know that Fanny is an idiot.

I have no problem with slamming the great majority of gsbotters mainly because they all deserve it. After sitting in chat all day for about 5 months watching all this crap fly up on the screen it finally hit me, "Why the hell am I sitting here suffering though this toddler-like spamfest?" I have nothing against the cool people that still attend chat simply because they manage to somehow like pokemon enough to bear the burden of a bunch of shits. I think that's pretty cool. As for the comment about following all the crap fanny slung into the "mandatory rule list" or whatever, my statement still stands that if you're willing to follow that crap instead of what you like you are indeed a pussy. If you follow them because that's the way you like playing, well, I can't help that. I'm just a bit ashamed. Thogh I can understand setting some rules for a tournament or something as to keep some bastard from making his way to the top by sleeping someone's entire team. Don't get me wrong though, I don't really care if someoneplays that way in misc fights. If that's the only way they think they can win, let them have at it. If they start bragging "wtf omg i got a 10124923408923e - 0 recod hahahahahha i pwn" as long as -I- know what's going down I don't care much.

Note: I just clicked back and read a bit of jump's post about the do I care if they play with 00bers or not, I think you can gather that information from here as well.

Funny, I thought that the point was to discuss the rules behind practice battles. Obviously that got lost somewhere.

Yeah, if you read a little bit more closely you'd notice it got lost around the second or third post.

Agreed, I'd have thought that the proles would have agreed to tone down Sleep Clause because of the changes in GS as well, but the mob has spoken..

Keen, it's always nice to have something in common.

Funny, LanderZ did the same thing, claiming that Jumpman was "rambling on" simply because of one misplaced "silly".

Hey you fucked up more than me on the interpretation, so I wouldn't be talking.

As for Jump, I wasn't referring solely to this thread, you've nitpicked your ass off countless times in other threads.

Member # 14

Member Rated:
posted 01-10-2002 01:13 AM      Profile for Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Note: I just clicked back and read a bit of jump's post about the do I care if they play with 00bers or not, I think you can gather that information from here as well.

The only power-Poke I dislike is Snorlax, then again, ban him and the other three become strong again.

The rules do add something to the game though, they change the way it's played and make room for a lot of diverse playing styles, etc. I remember back when there was that tournament with Evade Clause, (the SMPT I think) a lot of the people who had formerly relied on DT/Rest had to actually go out of their way to learn how to play the game in a different way. Rather than restricting the game, light use of rules does add something to it IMHO.

An example of this is the rampant success of RBY Sucky Cup. When it was in, it was almost impossible to play a power-Poke-less game let alone a Mewtwo match. I think if I ever get a tournament up and running it'll have the most bizzare set of restrictions in place to date, like a requirement of one starter or one DT TM and stuff to make things more varied.

I think, given a recent AIM discussion (if you could call it that), this thread needs to get back on topic.

- - - - -

Jumpman16
Farting Nudist
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
posted 01-10-2002 03:33 AM      Profile for Jumpman16   Author's Homepage   Email Jumpman16   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CA: ...my statement still stands that if you're willing to follow that crap instead of what you like you are indeed a pussy.

It still stands that these are now the default rules for online battling. Just because the vast majority of people choose to follow what has now become default instead of making their own rules doesn't make them all pussies. That's like saying people that use standards are all pussies because underused pokes are more fun.

As for Jump, I wasn't referring solely to this thread, you've nitpicked your ass off countless times in other threads.

Splendid. That has about as much relevance and purpose as me reminding you that I beat you in the SMPT in, like, my 20th battle ever.

Tghost
Farting Nudist
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
posted 01-10-2002 04:00 AM      Profile for Tghost   Author's Homepage   Email Tghost   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It still stands that these are now the default rules for online battling. Just because the vast majority of people choose to follow what has now become default instead of making their own rules doesn't make them all pussies.

A vast majority of people can battle on GSBot for ages and not come across a single sleep-inducing move being used. Why? Sleep Clause. The problem with Sleep Clause is that it totally detracts from the sleeping moves to the point where relatively few people use them. This then in turn results in people forgetting about Sleep Clause, becuase they do not come across the reasons for it's very existance. That's the reason Sleep Clause is a default, also, becuase in a majority of battles it is never come across.

That's like saying people that use standards are all pussies because underused pokes are more fun.

People that use standards are pussies, but only if they created a team by slapping standards together in a mish-mash. Not using standards doesn't mean using under-used Pokemon, it means using un-standard Movesets. But, that, is a totally different issue.

Splendid. That has about as much relevance and purpose as me reminding you that I beat you in the SMPT in, like, my 20th battle ever.

It has abit more relevance than that. Crazy Aipom is talking about your method of arguing, which is slighlty relevance, and you're pulling in something utterly irrelevant.

- - - - -
My brain went on vacation and left my pancreas in charge

From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
LanderZRPG
Member # 1615

Member Rated:
posted 01-10-2002 09:51 AM      Profile for LanderZRPG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

If you recall, that was only one thing I had seen. And it's easy, looking back, to catch the full gist of what Jump was saying, but in a one-line-at-a-time, real-time thing, a contradiction would be the first thing one would see, if they weren't the person writing it.

[b]Of course, like I've said before, if you're biased against me for whatever reason, it'll have an effect on the way you read my "tripe."

Once again, I'm not biased against you, but I've already pointed out my discussions, and you seemed to agree/accomodate in most cases, and there's not really any 'dispute' between us. I re-instate, however, that I am not biased against you (Just for the record; I can see someone interpreting it as though I am.)

Lastly, the only reason I even bothered re-re-recheking this string is to test my new mouse's scrolly-thingie.... Heh. Some arguements have come up that make even less sense than my psycho-babble... Aw well; Some people get it, and some don't, and we should all just learn to cope.

- - - - -

(www.poweradvantage.net)

Jumpman16
Farting Nudist
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
posted 01-10-2002 04:29 PM      Profile for Jumpman16   Author's Homepage   Email Jumpman16   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tghost: People that use standards are pussies, but only if they created a team by slapping standards together in a mish-mash.

That doesn't make them pussies as much as it makes them n00bs that literally don't know any better. After all, you gotta start somewhere, and after scoping #battlearena and the like, anyone new to the game would copy what has given those before them success. And after said newbies becomed more tenured to the ways of battling, why mess with a good thing? If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Not using standards doesn't mean using under-used Pokemon, it means using un-standard Movesets. But, that, is a totally different issue.

Exactly?

It has abit more relevance than that. Crazy Aipom is talking about your method of arguing, which is slighlty relevance, and you're pulling in something utterly irrelevant.

No, he's talking about my "method of arguing" in previoius discussions. Again:

“Heh, show me where I once picked on Lander's grammar or typos and I'll humbly apologize.”

Therefore it's an irrevelant red herring, with the sole intent of trying to make me look bad, as I haven't at all attempted to nitpick on anyone's typos os misuse of grammar in this thread.

On the other hand, my stating that I beat him in the SMPT, while an intentional red herring, is relevant in that CA has been bitter towards me ever since it happened, hence his judgement of anything I've said since is compromised.

Crazed Aipom
Farting Nudist
Member # 1575

Member Rated:
posted 01-10-2002 07:02 PM      Profile for Crazed Aipom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It still stands that these are now the default rules for online battling. Just because the vast majority of people choose to follow what has now become default instead of making their own rules doesn't make them all pussies. That's like saying people that use standards are all pussies because underused pokes are more fun.

Yeah, ok, who's "twisting words" now? You seemed to miss this:

If you follow them because that's the way you like playing, well, I can't help that. I'm just a bit ashamed.

And if it will help clear somthing up, if you think that just cause that power hungry Fanny whoever says something make it law, then you're a... well, you know the rest. The game is called pokemon, not fannymon. That's my final thought on that subject, but don't worry, I'll let you reply to this with some argumentive post that is clearly going nowhere just so you can have the last word.

Oh, yeah, ok. You're forgetting that I owned in the SMPT, and if it will jog your memory...

(MVP's)1337 d00dz : psycho monkey
Most Persistent Player : psycho monkey
Most Victories : psycho monkey
Most Victories in Loser's Bracket : psycho monkey
I also lasted 3 rounds longer than you.

I wish Fish hadn't deleted the SPMT forum just so I could link to your bitching after your loss.

If you realy think that I cared anything about the acient CLST by that time, you're gravely mistaken.

Now, back to the point about your grammar slammage. Incase you forgot, that's what anyon will say you do simply because that's what yur reputation became because of the way you have aways handed arguments in the past. Most anyone in the park would say that you argue by nitpicking. Don't even try to pass it off as some grudge you think I have against you because of some tournament over a year ago.

Tghost
Farting Nudist
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
posted 01-10-2002 07:07 PM      Profile for Tghost   Author's Homepage   Email Tghost   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I love it how Jump completely ignored what I said about Sleep Clause and responded to the rest of my post.

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Tghost ]

- - - - -

Jumpman16
Farting Nudist
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
posted 01-10-2002 08:45 PM      Profile for Jumpman16   Author's Homepage   Email Jumpman16   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CA: Yeah, ok, who's "twisting words" now? You seemed to miss this:

"If you follow them because that's the way you like playing, well, I can't help that. I'm just a bit ashamed."

So...are you just ashamed of us, or are we all pussies? Cause the only thing I was arguing was that us gsbotters aren't the latter. Again, you said:

...my statement still stands that if you're willing to follow that crap instead of what you like you are indeed a pussy.

Why resort to immature namecalling when all you had to say was that you were ashamed of us? That's all I argued—that we're not pussies just because we battle with the default rules.

And if it will help clear somthing up, if you think that just cause that power hungry Fanny whoever says something make it law, then you're a... well, you know the rest.

When did I say that just "cause that power hungry Fanny" wrote the gsbot rules that they should be followed? I've argued far more that since all the rest of us "pussies" battle with the understood clauses intact, to refuse to uphold them in battle is lame, as Strider did. But you can keep clinging to your "jumpman hearts fanny!" argument as long as you want.

Me: Splendid. That has about as much relevance and purpose as me reminding you that I beat you in the SMPT in, like, my 20th battle ever.

CA: Oh, yeah, ok. You're forgetting that I owned in the SMPT, and if it will jog your memory...

(MVP's)1337 d00dz : psycho monkey
Most Persistent Player : psycho monkey
Most Victories : psycho monkey
Most Victories in Loser's Bracket : psycho monkey
I also lasted 3 rounds longer than you.

I wish Fish hadn't deleted the SPMT forum just so I could link to your bitching after your loss.

If you realy think that I cared anything about the acient CLST by that time, you're gravely mistaken.

ROTFL, how did I know that you were going to take this bait hook, line and sinker? I said that my using the fact that I beat you in the SMPT had no relevance or purpose in this particular debate at all, save trying to make you look bad, because you initially brought up how I argued in previous threads with that same lame relevance and purpose. I can't spell it out any clearer than this.

I didn't forget how much you "owned" the SMPT (not like I cared to begin with), but I had a feeling that you'd take it upon yourself to remind us all. Heh, who has the big ego now?

Now, back to the point about your grammar slammage. Incase you forgot, that's what anyon will say you do simply because that's what yur reputation became because of the way you have aways handed arguments in the past. Most anyone in the park would say that you argue by nitpicking.

But did I do that here? No. The fact that you're even trying to base your argument on this gives it ad hominem: circumstancial fallaciousness—a term I'm sure you seen me use before. It's a red herring, and has no place in this thread, as you and I both know I haven't done that here.

Tghost: I love it how Jump completely ignored what I said about Sleep Clause and responded to the rest of my post.

Well, Tghost, when someone doesn't reply to another's thoughts on a subject, that usually means that he or she is in agreement with it, or accepts the poster's opinion in the matter. But, since you just couldn't seem to let it go, I'll go ahead and nitpick it for you, since you asked so nicely.

A vast majority of people can battle on GSBot for ages and not come across a single sleep-inducing move being used. Why? Sleep Clause. The problem with Sleep Clause is that it totally detracts from the sleeping moves to the point where relatively few people use them.

Grand. You've stated the obvious. Of course there are going to be less sleep-inducing moved used if you can only put one pokémon to sleep at a time. What else needs to be said?

This then in turn results in people forgetting about Sleep Clause, becuase they do not come across the reasons for it's very existance. That's the reason Sleep Clause is a default, also, becuase in a majority of battles it is never come across.

Two personal opinions that you're more than entitled to, but have nothing to do with the way things actually are with regards to online battle, or with this particular debate, much like CA's "philosophy." Why should I bother replying to others' opinions when they are irrelevant to this debate?

Oh, and you spelled "because" incorrectly, and wrongly added an apostrophe to the possessive "its."

Crazed Aipom
Farting Nudist
Member # 1575

Member Rated:
posted 01-10-2002 09:06 PM      Profile for Crazed Aipom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
rofl. My god Jump, you're just digging yourself into a deeper hole as far as I'm concerned with a half assed argument like that. I see no more reason to post here. I'll just let the audience sit back and laugh.
Tghost
Farting Nudist
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
posted 01-10-2002 09:12 PM      Profile for Tghost   Author's Homepage   Email Tghost   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Grand. You've stated the obvious. Of course there are going to be less sleep-inducing moved used if you can only put one pokémon to sleep at a time. What else needs to be said?

Yes, thank you for continuing the trend of stating the obvious there.

Two personal opinions that you're more than entitled to, but have nothing to do with the way things actually are with regards to online battle, or with this particular debate, much like CA's "philosophy." Why should I bother replying to others' opinions when they are irrelevant to this debate?

Actually, isn't the entire debate here about whether Sleep Clause is blanket accepted in the online battling community, or not? Well, then I think that the fact that the metagame has virtually evolved around Sleep Clause by cutting out and never actually countering Sleep-inducing moves is an issue. It is only in existance becuase it has been rooted into the metagame wanker's view of the Pokemon game, to put it bluntly.

Oh, and you spelled "because" incorrectly, and wrongly added an apostrophe to the possessive "its."

I did? Oh..shame on me. Shame! I can't use the English language correctly! It's just a real shame that not everybody in the world has a University degree in the English language.

- - - - -

SDShamshel
Farting Nudist
Member # 791

Member Rated:
posted 01-10-2002 10:48 PM      Profile for SDShamshel   Email SDShamshel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe all of you will agree when I say the following...

I WEIGHT TRAIN WITH MY POKEMON!

HOO HAH!

Member # 14

Member Rated:
posted 01-10-2002 11:30 PM      Profile for Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I re-instate, however, that I am not biased against you (Just for the record; I can see someone interpreting it as though I am.)

Good, that means we can sit back, laugh and not take any of this personally..

- - - - -

Jumpman16
Farting Nudist
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
posted 01-11-2002 12:31 AM      Profile for Jumpman16   Author's Homepage   Email Jumpman16   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CA: rofl. My god Jump, you're just digging yourself into a deeper hole as far as I'm concerned with a half assed argument like that. I see no more reason to post here. I'll just let the audience sit back and laugh.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again—you're gonna need evidence to support the claim that my argument is half-assed.

Tghost: Yes, thank you for continuing the trend of stating the obvious there.

Actually, isn't the entire debate here about whether Sleep Clause is blanket accepted in the online battling community, or not?

Yes.

Well, then I think that the fact that the metagame has virtually evolved around Sleep Clause by cutting out and never actually countering Sleep-inducing moves is an issue. It is only in existance becuase it has been rooted into the metagame wanker's view of the Pokemon game, to put it bluntly.

Jesus, could you get more obvious? You're missing the point—in that you forgot to answer your own question. We're talking about "whether Sleep Clause is blanket accepted in the online battling community, or not" (to use your words), not why or why it isn't so.

Mr.E
Farting Nudist
Member # 696

Member Rated:
posted 01-11-2002 01:46 AM      Profile for Mr.E     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sure doesn't look like that's what "we're" talking about to me.

- - - - -
MickHale18: nevermind, I'll pull out for a second
MickHale18: *pulls out finger*

From: Munchkin Land, Oz | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.