The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Omanyte Historical Foundation   » The Guide to Underused Pokemon Part 2.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Guide to Underused Pokemon Part 2.
SDShamshel
Farting Nudist
Member # 791

Member Rated:
posted 12-16-2001 10:59 PM      Profile for SDShamshel   Email SDShamshel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes. After a while, it is again time to talk about one of those Pokemon who, despite this standard-ruled world we play in, is actually "not that bad."

So I present to you, the reader, the Second Part to the Guide to Underused Pokemon.

This part's subject is that champion of Azure. That destroyed of non-Box Tricked Mewtwos. That Pink Menace. And unfortunately, That Zapdos Bait.

Yes, it's Wigglytuff Discussion Time.

Here are the stats both in base and max stat form for convenience.

Base:
HP: 140
Attack: 70
Defense: 45
Special Attack: 75
Special Defense: 50
Speed: 45

Max:
HP: 483
Attack: 238
Defense: 188
Special Attack: 248
Special Defense: 198
Speed: 188

Now, you're probably asking, "Why should I use a Wigglytuff if I can use a Snorlax?" While Snorlax is probably the better Pokemon, there are two things Wigglytuff can do that Snorlax cannot.

1) Use Thunderwave.
2) Use Special Attacks more effectively.

In fact, aside from the much-increased use of Fighting Types, the transition to G/S/C has been very kind to Wigglytuff. Not only has Wigglytuff gotten a boost in its Special Attack rating to the point where it is actually usable, but Wigglytuff can also rejoice at the fact that Double-Edge is now Base 120 damage. With Leftovers attached, the recoil is almost meaningless. Possibly most important of all, is Wigglytuff's surprisingly good move compatibility. Not only that, but for you TM-stingy folks, let it be known that Wiggly learns Body Slam, Double-Edge, AND Rest naturally.

That being said, Wigglytuff is also surprisingly versatile. Attack, support, stalling, it can do just about anything fairly well. Low defensive stats are off-set by such a mosntrous HP.

Now, for some sets. These sets forego items, due to possibilities such as item clause and what-not.

L-Sama Assault Wigglytuff:
Double-Edge, Shadow Ball, Fire Blast, Thunder Wave

This is the set I use on GSBot. It is my lead Pokemon on my Chromebot team, and it actually does quite well. It's designed to just attack. Jolty's Subs break to one Double-Edge. Perish Trappers get TWaved, and run the risk of full paralysis while trying to Protect. Combine that with Shadow Ball usage, and Missy, even if it survives, can come out extremeley weakened. Fire Blast is for starting Scizor and Forretress. Forretress is taken out in one Fire Blast, and Scizor CAN be OHKO'd. This set is not definite though. Feel free to swap around moves such as Body Slam for Double-Edge, Ice Beam, TBolt, Present, or Flamethrower for Fire Blast, or heck, throw in Submission if you're really worried about Tyranitar. Again, Wiggly has the HP to take it. If you want to be brave, you can try a TWave, Mimic combo. Might be useful against those BPers. Speaking of which, Wiggly can learn Psych Up.

Curse-Tuff:
Curse, Double-Edge, Fire Blast, Shadow Ball/Rest

Self-explanatory.

Support Wigglytuff:
Sing, Thunder Wave, Reflect/Rest, Body Slam/Double-Edge/Whatever

This Wiggly, as the name implies, supports. It's pretty self-explanatory, so I won't go into many details here. Sing, unfortunately, has iffy accuracy, so you may want to replace it with a move like Mud-Slap or something, but if it manages to put a Pokemon to sleep, it's done its job.

Psuedo-Hazer Wigglytuff:
Perish Song, Protect/Reflect, Body Slam/Double-Edge/Return, Flamethrower/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Fire Blast/Whatever

Worried about that Curselax? Or that Cursetar? Or that damn whatever the hell is coming after you? Use this unorthodox Wiggly set. Instead of using Roar or Whirlwind, Wiggly uses Perish Song to provoke switches. Most people would rather let their Curselax survive rather than get taken down by PSong, but if it switches out and loses its boosts, then Wiggly has done its job. This is also of particular use against Baton Passing chains because of the fact that Perish Song IS passed. If a player wants to get rid of it, they must either destroy Wiggly or switch out, thus breaking the BP. Wiggly can use Protect or Reflect to stall for long enough, and can have another attack just in case.

Counter Wiggly:
Body Slam/Return, Counter, Rest, Variable Attack

Again, pretty self-explanatory. Wiggly, like other Normal-type counter-users, relies on its high HP to be the fiend. Rest when necessary, and have a back up attack, just in case.

There are actually many more sets that Wigglytuff could use, but due to its move list, the possibilities are so diverse that it'd be difficult to list them all.

Unlike Magneton, I will not be listing a number of popular Pokemon Wigglytuff can defeat, because Wigglytuff armed with the right moves can actually pose a threat to a number of things. Wigglytuff does not need to fill a specific niche nearly as much as Magneton.

Wigglytuff may not be the best Pokemon, and it may not even rank in with the standards mathematically, but Wiggly has a coolness factor that few other Pokemon have.

Hail Wiggly.

Oh, and you're probably wondering why you should use Wiggly instead of Clefable. Besides that coolness factor, Clefable has much less HP than Wiggly. It's still a lot, but Clefable cannot take recoil from its Double-Edges nearly as well as Wigglytuff.

- - - - -
Pretty de Cure Cure
Futari wa Precure

Jman
Farting Nudist
Member # 618

Member Rated:
posted 12-17-2001 03:38 PM      Profile for Jman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SDShamshel:
Psuedo-Hazer Wigglytuff:
Perish Song, Protect/Reflect, Body Slam/Double-Edge/Return, Flamethrower/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Fire Blast/Whatever

Worried about that Curselax? Or that Cursetar? Or that damn whatever the hell is coming after you? Use this unorthodox Wiggly set. Instead of using Roar or Whirlwind, Wiggly uses Perish Song to provoke switches. Most people would rather let their Curselax survive rather than get taken down by PSong, but if it switches out and loses its boosts, then Wiggly has done its job. This is also of particular use against Baton Passing chains because of the fact that Perish Song IS passed. If a player wants to get rid of it, they must either destroy Wiggly or switch out, thus breaking the BP. Wiggly can use Protect or Reflect to stall for long enough, and can have another attack just in case.

All hail SDS. He is the man for making such a manly topic.

That being said the quote I have up there is actually what I had just thought of before reading this topic. Very unorthodox in today's Perish Trapping, and I think a viable strategy can be converged from this.

This Wiggly is the set I have on GSBot, on my great team(2-10!!):
Thunder Wave
Body Slam
Hyper Beam
Rest
@MiracleBerry

Now, I think I need to get rid of Hyper Beam, as I fail to pull of the little combo usually with it. I think I might try out Perish Song, but I'd have to replace ThunderWave. I guess an elemental move would be solid in its place.

So, I'm gonna try this:
Body Slam
Rest
Perish Song
Ice Beam / Icy Wind
@ Miracle Berry(Starter)/Leftovers(otherwise)

Whee.

Jman
Farting Nudist
Member # 618

Member Rated:
posted 12-17-2001 07:06 PM      Profile for Jman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
*after a quick battle*

Success!!

The Perish Song Wiggly was awesome. Right before it died(after paralyzing many with body slam, taking down one, and wounding a few others), I Perish Song'd a Sunny Day Espeon. I switched to Cloyster, got a spikes off while they flamethrowered. They switched, and out comes Aerodactyl who meets an Ice Beam! Brilliant! It goes down to another Ice Beam, and Cloyster blows up vs. an Ampharos. Quite the tag team, Cloyster and Wiggly.

ThumbsOfSteel
Farting Nudist
Member # 1922

Member Rated:
posted 12-18-2001 07:44 AM      Profile for ThumbsOfSteel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A sunny day Espeon with FLAMETHROWER???? How did this happen???
I've been using one fun team after another on the bots when I've been on. I haven't been on much lately, but Wiggly has just earned a place on the next team.

- - - - -
"If you put that post in 00bersig, you owe every post ever made by MK a 6-foot monument made of platinum." -StarCaliber
"I'm pretty sure it says in there somewhere that Iron Tailing Mewtwos are half price." -Uiru
This message will selfdestruct in 10 seconds.

From: Nowhere on a normal map | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
FireMagmar
Farting Nudist
Member # 2238

Member Rated:
posted 12-18-2001 12:13 PM      Profile for FireMagmar   Email FireMagmar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThumbsOfSteel:
A sunny day Espeon with FLAMETHROWER???? How did this happen???
I've been using one fun team after another on the bots when I've been on. I haven't been on much lately, but Wiggly has just earned a place on the next team.

If you have ever been to TPM then you'll remember they believed ESP could learn Fthrower. That was before Crystal was released, of course. Therefore the GSBot programmers must've messed a bit...Or hacked through..:P

Knef
Farting Nudist
Member # 2208

Member Rated:
posted 12-18-2001 01:02 PM      Profile for Knef   Email Knef   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hooray for Perish Song for Wiggly, because it:
a)Messes with Baton Passers, along with Psych Up.
b)Is a singing attack that Wiggly can use with great results.
c)is not learnable by Clefable!
d)has one of the coolest original name ever *pictures his Wiggly singing "Song Of Destruction"*.

SDShamshel, surely this is the coolest Underused topic ever.*cheers* *hopes a topic about Venomoth's coming*

- - - - -
-Knef

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.