The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Omanyte Historical Foundation   » silly newbie question about poliwrath

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: silly newbie question about poliwrath
starterboy
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 2443

Member Rated:
posted 12-15-2001 09:29 PM      Profile for starterboy        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey all - excuse my stupid question. Can't really think too clearly this late at night.

Is there anyway to get a fissure on poliwrath besides trading him back to RBY? I am going for that OHKO moveset with the whirlpool trap, mind reader and ice beam.

If not, anybody have any ideas for a just as potent moveset for poliwrath? Don't ask me why I am stuck on poliwrath - liked the nice potential he has with the OHKO moveset.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

- - - - -
"I am the coming apocalypse..."

Face
I invented cancer.
Member # 1916

Member Rated:
posted 12-15-2001 10:39 PM      Profile for Face   Author's Homepage   Email Face   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
GameShark or BrainBoy.

- - - - -
Weezing!

From: Hackensack, nj | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pokemaniac Will
Farting Nudist
Member # 2395

posted 12-15-2001 10:52 PM      Profile for Pokemaniac Will   Email Pokemaniac Will   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
BTW you should use Surf, not Ice Beam. Poliwrath doesn't have the Spc Atk for a non-STABbed Ice move.

- - - - -
"Hello, Newman." -Jerry Seinfeld
-------------------------------------
Feel free to E-mail me at Pokemaniac WiII@AOL.Com.

From: Somewhere in Kanto | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cesar
Farting Nudist
Member # 529

Member Rated:
posted 12-16-2001 12:22 AM      Profile for Cesar   Email Cesar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The OHKO poliwrath is about the best moveset out there for him.

You could turn him into politoed and make him a perish-trapper.

From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Pokemaniac Will
Farting Nudist
Member # 2395

posted 12-16-2001 12:28 AM      Profile for Pokemaniac Will   Email Pokemaniac Will   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Perish Trapper? Why not use the Cheese Trio while you're at it? Stick with the first part, at least the opponent has some kind of chance with it.

- - - - -

Silver_Persian
Farting Nudist
Member # 2193

Member Rated:
posted 12-16-2001 12:47 AM      Profile for Silver_Persian   Email Silver_Persian   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pokemaniac Will:
Perish Trapper? Why not use the Cheese Trio while you're at it? Stick with the first part, at least the opponent has some kind of chance with it.

Uhhh....what? Perish trapping is not cheap...

I had a set with:

Poliwrath@leftovers
hydro pump/surf
submission
counter
haze/rest/randommovehere

It worked okishly...

- - - - -
HAHE
ROBBLE
ROBBLE
8D

starterboy
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 2443

Member Rated:
posted 12-16-2001 09:22 AM      Profile for starterboy        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the feedback I guess my real question was about any possible breeding chain that could get fissure over there. Guess there isn't one.

Maybe I might try out that last moveset that was posted (surf, submission, counter, rest). Though I suppose the only way this would work is if big poli didn't get KO'd with the first hit or 2 (so could maybe hit back with a counter and rest).

- - - - -
"I am the coming apocalypse..."

Duolivous
Farting Nudist
Member # 2030

Member Rated:
posted 12-16-2001 11:50 AM      Profile for Duolivous   Author's Homepage   Email Duolivous   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In the last several days I have witnessed an increase in Pokemaniac Will's stupidity. I would suggest not paying much attention to him, starterboy. To answer your question you can't breed Fissure because it can't be learned by Poliwag.

- - - - -
I need a new sig.

From: Someplace you've never heard of | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pokemaniac Will
Farting Nudist
Member # 2395

posted 12-16-2001 05:22 PM      Profile for Pokemaniac Will   Email Pokemaniac Will   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Stupidity? Well, maybe you haven't faced one, but I can tell you it isn't fair. You switch out to something that can take that Misdreavus, but it goes down.

So+So sent out Tyranitar!
Misdreavus used Mean Look!
Misdreavus used Perish Song!
Tyranitar used Crunch!
Misdreavus recovered with Leftovers.
Tyranitar's Perish Count is 3!
Misdreavus' Perish Count is 3!
Misdreavus used Protect!
Tyranitar used Crunch!
It missed!
Misdreavus recovered with Leftovers
Tyranitar's Perish Count is 2!
Misdreavus' Perish Count is 2!
Misdreavus used Protect!
Tyranitar used Crunch!
It missed!
Tyranitar's Perish Count is 1!
Misdreavus' Perish Count is 1!
Misdreavus recovered with Leftovers.
So+So withdrew Misdreavus!
So+So sent out Umbreon!
Tyranitar used Crunch!
It's not very effective...
Tyranitar's Perish Count is 0!
Tyranitar fainted!

Now, is that fair to you? You take one measly hit, which you recover a lot of Leftovers with! You Protect and don't take damage, just recover it! It's nearly impossible to win facing one, they just bring them back out whenever the opponent has something strong out! Maybe you never faced one of these because you use them, but I can tell you from expierence they are NOT fair!

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: Pokemaniac Will ]

- - - - -

Bowser
I'm such a moron that I keep an axe behind me at all times.
Member # 2037

Member Rated:
posted 12-16-2001 06:50 PM      Profile for Bowser   Email Bowser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
*coughitscalledroar/whirlwindcough*
From: My mommy's uterus | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cesar
Farting Nudist
Member # 529

Member Rated:
posted 12-16-2001 09:41 PM      Profile for Cesar   Email Cesar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Misdreavus used Perish Song!
Gengar used Mean Look!

Misdreavous used Mean look!
Machamp used encore!

Misdreavous used Mean look!
Smeargle used spore!

And you assume that protect with work and not fail in the second try. If it fails, Missy dies.

From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Duolivous
Farting Nudist
Member # 2030

Member Rated:
posted 12-18-2001 08:50 PM      Profile for Duolivous   Author's Homepage   Email Duolivous   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Will, I know that you have already left this site (hopefully for good), but I feel the need to tell you that I have faced a Perish Song Missy. It took out two of my guys before I KOed it. I ended up losing the battle, but it wasn't because of Missy. I don't use any clauses at all except for Mew and Celebi because they have to be sharked on. Just learn how to battle and don't complain about everything.

- - - - -
I need a new sig.

psykloak1
Farting Nudist
Member # 2275

Member Rated:
posted 12-19-2001 07:30 AM      Profile for psykloak1   Author's Homepage   Email psykloak1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Duolivous:
I don't use any clauses at all except for Mew and Celebi because they have to be sharked on.

no they dont, yo can get both of them from nintendo.

- - - - -
-psyk
NeptuneCircle.com

Mister Cant
Farting Nudist
Member # 1414

Member Rated:
posted 12-19-2001 11:07 AM      Profile for Mister Cant   Email Mister Cant   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
who wants a mew with no 15 dv and defense dv of 1 anyways?

- - - - -
~|~Mister Cant-A.K.A-Yue~|~

;x

FireMagmar
Farting Nudist
Member # 2238

Member Rated:
posted 12-19-2001 12:56 PM      Profile for FireMagmar   Email FireMagmar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mister Cant:
who wants a mew with no 15 dv and defense dv of 1 anyways?

and this is the Official Mew?

Kiseiju
Farting Nudist
Member # 2421

Member Rated:
posted 12-19-2001 02:06 PM      Profile for Kiseiju     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A little off topic, but could someone explain exactly what the Cheese Trio is? I've heard people use the term, but I wasn't sure if it refered to just Misdreavus
or it with a combination of other Pokes.

I've also seen this set with Blizzard in place of whirlpool. It seems to me that it might work a little better, but then I'm still relatively new to all this.

- - - - -
The strong take away from the weak, while the smart take away from the strong...

Donald
Bob the Builder
Member # 1551

Member Rated:
posted 12-19-2001 03:22 PM      Profile for Donald   Email Donald      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cheese Trio = Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-oh.

IIRC, Uiru was the first to coin the term.

From: In your girl's panties | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Frogjedi
Farting Nudist
Member # 772

Member Rated:
posted 12-19-2001 08:25 PM      Profile for Frogjedi   Author's Homepage   Email Frogjedi   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Um... I haven't had a hard time with missy trappers. Usually some dumb f*** will throw one in against my curselax only to realize that they gave me a free curse and is about to meet the end of a supereffective shadowball.

P.S. I am refraining from swearing from now on as I realize we have St George as a new member and he might, you know, be with his kids and such.

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Frogjedi ]

- - - - -
-"Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

From: I'm filing. Oh yes I'm filing. | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Duolivous
Farting Nudist
Member # 2030

Member Rated:
posted 12-19-2001 10:04 PM      Profile for Duolivous   Author's Homepage   Email Duolivous   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by psykloak1:

no they dont, yo can get both of them from nintendo.

Yeah, about that, Nintendo has to tour your area in order to get them. So, yeah, you do have to shark them in my area. And anyway, how many people actually have official Celebi's or Mew's that they actually use it? I think it's a safe bet to say that not many do.

- - - - -
I need a new sig.

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.