The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Omanyte Historical Foundation   » Rad new idea, not lying this time

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rad new idea, not lying this time
raticata
Farting Nudist
Member # 1994

Member Rated:
posted 09-18-2001 01:40 PM      Profile for raticata     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone

You all will know by how how I often praise underused. Yet, underused do not in any means guarantee victory, thus I have thought about a new system of team selection.

Basically, each poke has a certain cost. This is mainly applicable by using gsbot, as you are actually hiring them.

This is in first stages, but you could for example have $2000, and a popular poke like tyranitar costs $600, while someone like farfetch'd is $200.

Anyway, let me know, I think it will make teams fairer as if they choose a popular powerful one, they will need to balance with a slightly less popular one.

-Raticata

- - - - -
A legendary is only legendary if it has a legendary set.

JolteonG3
Farting Nudist
Member # 2146

Member Rated:
posted 09-18-2001 01:59 PM      Profile for JolteonG3   Author's Homepage   Email JolteonG3   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think it sounds like a very good idea, as it adds yet another level of stratedgy to the game. It also encourages creative use Pokemon that no one would consider using before. It could really level the playing field of the game!

The problem I see with it is if people will accept it. Therefore, I don't think you'll ever see all or even most of the online Pokemon community playing it. It will, however, definiely find its niche, espacially among those who want to win with underused teams.

Another problem is how to implement it, as there is really is no single way to determine if a Pokemon is "good" or "underrated." A system would have to be made to give monetary values. to stats, moves (more specifically, move combinations), type, and, possibly, originality. This could be an extremely difficult effort, but not impossible if you recruited help.

Great idea! It would be very intersting to actually see it implemented.

StealthNinjaScyther
Farting Nudist
Member # 1833

Member Rated:
posted 09-19-2001 01:13 AM      Profile for StealthNinjaScyther   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You often praise the underused, eh? I'd say that you praise the sucky cup critters. The simple fact is that not all Pokemon have potential in real battles. As for your idea, it's actually a pretty good idea. There are, however, some big problems. The biggest problem is that the superior Pokemon will always be superior to some Pokemon. It's quite conceivable that a team of 3 stronger Pokemon could take out six of the weaker Pokemon because some Pokemon are just that weak. A better idea would to make a sucky cup competition where only the Pokemon that aren't very good qualify. The biggest problem with that is actually determining which Pokemon qualify, but I'll leave that to you to figure out.

- - - - -
[blank]

From: Auburn, WA, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tghost
Farting Nudist
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
posted 09-19-2001 05:07 AM      Profile for Tghost   Author's Homepage   Email Tghost   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actaully, the biggest problem of Sucky Cup is that you get the same dominance...just crappier Pokemon dominate over the even crappier.

The money / points thing wouldn't really work well, it would end up stifling most common team creation ideals, and leave strategies to be squeezed in on Pokemon not up to using them for the sacrifice of actually being able to use certian things together. That, and who can really put a value on a Pokemon, with movesets and items? You can't just measure it on stats, that would be extremely stupid. It'd be like putting a cap on the amount of HP your team could have, not particularly useful in forcing an opponent to use suckier Pokemon.

- - - - -
My brain went on vacation and left my pancreas in charge

From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
raticata
Farting Nudist
Member # 1994

Member Rated:
posted 09-19-2001 01:37 PM      Profile for raticata     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It wasn't meant to be complicated, just a base limit, in no regard to movesets.

For example, each poke has a value with no relation to moveset/item.

Yet, there could be a certain value of each item, with common itmes like mint and mira berries being cheaper than the rarer king's rock.

Anyway, it was only an idea, and there is too much competiveness on winning for it to work. Ah well

Plus, every team would HAVE to have 6. So no Missy/Tyran/Miltank combo.

- - - - -

White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 09-20-2001 03:56 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
King's Rock is rarer than Miracle Berry?

- - - - -
"Anybody gone into Whole Foods lately and see what they charge for arugula?"
-- Barack Obama, campaigning in Iowa

Heracross20
Farting Nudist
Member # 2133

Member Rated:
posted 09-20-2001 07:36 AM      Profile for Heracross20   Author's Homepage   Email Heracross20   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
*laughs* now, it'd never work because people are not going to change their teams. If you are really having that many problems with regular teams to begin with, then ur having major problems, and need to reconstruct ur team. You shouldn't be so obsessed with winning. Two words: Talon's Pidgeot

- - - - -
*some stupid but funny quote* ;)

From: try to find me *runz* | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
raticata
Farting Nudist
Member # 1994

Member Rated:
posted 09-20-2001 01:19 PM      Profile for raticata     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Me obsessed with winning?

Ha.

- - - - -

Heracross20
Farting Nudist
Member # 2133

Member Rated:
posted 09-20-2001 04:18 PM      Profile for Heracross20   Author's Homepage   Email Heracross20   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
don't take it personally, that's what I'm getting from this topic of yours. "let's even the playing field." all u have to do is play a random bot battle and be happy.... *sighs*

- - - - -
*some stupid but funny quote* ;)

From: try to find me *runz* | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
raticata
Farting Nudist
Member # 1994

Member Rated:
posted 09-21-2001 02:26 PM      Profile for raticata     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Don't worry about it!

I was just a bit cranky, A levels and all that.

Plus, I'm 17 and my whole school knows I like pokemon , so i lost any sense of pride ages ago!

Sorry again if I was handbagging

- - - - -

Biffster
Farting Nudist
Member # 269

Member Rated:
posted 09-21-2001 09:58 PM      Profile for Biffster     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

From: Viridian City (On the road at least) | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
ThumbsOfSteel
Farting Nudist
Member # 1922

Member Rated:
posted 09-23-2001 06:21 PM      Profile for ThumbsOfSteel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I suggest figuring out a way to make this into a tourney, since it is a good idea, but outside of a tourney, I doubt people would use it. I would, however, suggest that certain pokemon (Snorlax, Missy) should have a cheaper cost without a certain set (perish-trap, curse/belly drum) as they are drastically weaker without them. Don't get too carried away with this part though, like T-bolt on Jolteon, since that's just stupid. This would make a good tourney though, and I definately recommend it.

- - - - -
"If you put that post in 00bersig, you owe every post ever made by MK a 6-foot monument made of platinum." -StarCaliber
"I'm pretty sure it says in there somewhere that Iron Tailing Mewtwos are half price." -Uiru
This message will selfdestruct in 10 seconds.

From: Nowhere on a normal map | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.