The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Omanyte Historical Foundation   » Attract vs. Confuse Ray

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Attract vs. Confuse Ray
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 09-18-2001 11:19 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just wondering...is there any particular benefit to using Attract over Confuse Ray?

I only ask, because I saw it recommended in a moveset over Confuse Ray.

The only things I can think of is that Attract lasts longer and that it can be used in tandem with confusion, in case someone else on your team has a confuse attack.

- - - - -
newbalance is my favorite shoe because they combine style and comfort in an affordable package suitable for people of all ages.

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nin10d0h
Farting Nudist
Member # 1911

Member Rated:
posted 09-18-2001 11:35 AM      Profile for Nin10d0h     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Attract also works even if your opponent has a Miracleberry attached, while Confuse Ray doesn't.

- - - - -
-Nin10d0h

JolteonG3
Farting Nudist
Member # 2146

Member Rated:
posted 09-18-2001 12:02 PM      Profile for JolteonG3   Author's Homepage   Email JolteonG3   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Also, Attract ignores Safeguard and has more PP than Confuse Ray. The PP difference, however, is trivial.
Edit: Reworded things to fix something incredibly stupid; I personify the word "newbie". Thanks Uiru for ponting out my mistake!

[ 09-18-2001: Message edited by: JolteonG3 ]

Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 09-18-2001 12:20 PM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was under the impression that Attract didn't wear off, at all, without someone switching.

You can't pseudopass Attract, though, so you can switch or Baton Pass out of it. Confuse Ray can be pseudopassed, but it can wear off quickly, too.

And being immune to Safeguard and Miracleberry is hardly a trivial thing. It means you don't waste an attack.
~Uiru

- - - - -
TIDUDSOFIEIHUGHEXXXC: "maybe he will let you touch his blow up do"

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

From: the floating castle of Newfoundland | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nitro
Farting Nudist
Member # 1885

Member Rated:
posted 09-18-2001 12:48 PM      Profile for Nitro     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Confusion is much better IMO.

The BIG thing that seperates the two is that confuse ray works on pokemon of the same gender and on genderless pokemon. Attract only works on the opposite gender, making it semi-unreliable.

- - - - -
"Hahaha. No one will EVER wipe that shit eating grin off his face."~Fish commenting on Cloyster.
----
ok let's use curselax wtf i win~LugiaStorms philosophy of how to play G/S.

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 09-18-2001 02:32 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...interesting points, all.

Now that I think about, I seem to remember hating Attract more when the CPU would hit me with it, because Snorlax would just never shake it off.

I can see how Attract would be better at getting a fatass like Lax with Leftovers, or DTing bastard out of the picture.

The permanence seems a fair tradeoff for the gender thing.

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Zerot
I pay schoolgirls to verbally abuse me.
Member # 1295

Member Rated:
posted 09-18-2001 05:08 PM      Profile for Zerot   Author's Homepage   Email Zerot   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I prefer attract... but I am an attract whore, so what do I know?

Hee hee, on my annoyance team(4-0), I have 4 pokemon with attract ^_^ I would post the team, but it sucks monkey balls.

From: Lizton, Indiana | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jolt135
Farting Nudist
Member # 1974

Member Rated:
posted 09-18-2001 06:30 PM      Profile for Jolt135   Author's Homepage   Email Jolt135   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's why I have 3 genderless Pokemon on my team.
From: Woodbridge, VA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ThumbsOfSteel
Farting Nudist
Member # 1922

Member Rated:
posted 09-18-2001 06:40 PM      Profile for ThumbsOfSteel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The only downside to attract is the gender thing, which is why I usually don't use it on just 1 Pokemon. The unpredictability of attract is also good, since almost anything can learn attract, and only a few can learn confuse ray.

- - - - -
"If you put that post in 00bersig, you owe every post ever made by MK a 6-foot monument made of platinum." -StarCaliber
"I'm pretty sure it says in there somewhere that Iron Tailing Mewtwos are half price." -Uiru
This message will selfdestruct in 10 seconds.

From: Nowhere on a normal map | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Justin8649
Farting Nudist
Member # 1789

Member Rated:
posted 09-18-2001 08:45 PM      Profile for Justin8649   Email Justin8649   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They both suck IMO. It takes a whole turn. And most of the time they dont EVER hit themselves with Confusion. And Attract sucks because it only works on opposing Genders. And it isnt like my luck has ever been that great. Paralyzation is my choice over Anything. Althogh Confusion/Infatuation arent that type of status effects. I still say Paralyzation is the best thing ever. Lowered speed and 25% chance of not attacking. That even works nice with shitass luck.

- - - - -
AvatarST2: I don't wanna smoke, cuz if I like it, I'll end up doing it.

Mr.E
Farting Nudist
Member # 696

Member Rated:
posted 09-18-2001 11:28 PM      Profile for Mr.E     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hustin, confusion works quite nicely. You just have to remember that the bots are all fucked up with confusion and everybody hits through it literally 75% or more, and it's not like you play anywhere else.

- - - - -
MickHale18: nevermind, I'll pull out for a second
MickHale18: *pulls out finger*

From: Munchkin Land, Oz | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Justin8649
Farting Nudist
Member # 1789

Member Rated:
posted 09-19-2001 07:17 AM      Profile for Justin8649   Email Justin8649   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Meh...
Fanha STILL needs to fix all these lame bugs....He says it is all right....But he even spelled a couple moves wrong....Oh well...

- - - - -
AvatarST2: I don't wanna smoke, cuz if I like it, I'll end up doing it.

Automaton
Farting Nudist
Member # 1234

Member Rated:
posted 09-19-2001 02:00 PM      Profile for Automaton   Author's Homepage   Email Automaton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Attract:
  • Lasts indefinitely as long as the afflicted Pokémon doesn't switch,

• Goes through Substitute,

• Goes through Safeguard,

• Goes through Miracleberry,

• Makes LugiaStorm quit games.

Confusion:

• Lasts for 1 to 7 turns,

• Isn't limited by Gender,

• Has the same percentile chance of protecting your ass as Attract, and every turn you're not being hit, the opponenet takes damage.

[ 09-19-2001: Message edited by: Automaton ]

White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 09-20-2001 04:00 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Confusion lasts for 1 to 4 turns, unless there was a GSC change that I'm not aware of.

*notes that PBS still has confusion damage twice as high as it should be*

- - - - -
"Anybody gone into Whole Foods lately and see what they charge for arugula?"
-- Barack Obama, campaigning in Iowa

Nitro
Farting Nudist
Member # 1885

Member Rated:
posted 09-21-2001 10:19 AM      Profile for Nitro     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah. The effect where the confused pokemon takes damage can really pay off against something like a swords dance marowak.

- - - - -
"Hahaha. No one will EVER wipe that shit eating grin off his face."~Fish commenting on Cloyster.
----
ok let's use curselax wtf i win~LugiaStorms philosophy of how to play G/S.

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.