The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Omanyte Historical Foundation   » Underused pokes #26 - Raichu

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Underused pokes #26 - Raichu
raticata
Farting Nudist
Member # 1994

Member Rated:
posted 09-02-2001 07:11 AM      Profile for raticata     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey people, another underused topic by me to sing of everyone's favourite poke-mouse.

No, I do not mean pikachu.

It has surprised me that there are so few Raichus around these days, but as with 'Tales syndrome, there is simply too fine a selection of other electric pokes. Jolty is by far the most popular, fast and horrible to deal with, while Raikou, Amphy, and Electabuzz take up the other electric slots. There is even the temptation to slam t-bolt on drago/gengar and have no electric poke at all.

However, Raichu is perfectly playable, and before I debate its stats, I have to say that LIGHT BALL DOES NOT DOUBLE ITS SPECIAL ATTACK. That is only for pika. I think it is unfair that marowak can double its attack and raichu can't ameliorate its special in the same way. Then again, I presume it was only because maro was so darned unpopular back in the golden days of r/b/y.

Maximum Stats: 323 HP (T105)
278 Attack (T50)
208 Defense (T117)
298 Speed (T19)
278 Special Attack (T42)
258 Special Defense (T62)

You gotta say that these are not bad stats at all! The HP is below average by about 30 points, but is still decent. The relatively high attack and sp attack stats combined with an even better speed make this one a good killer. The special defense is average, which leaves the unfortunately abysmal defense, though luckily for t-mouse he has the moves to combat this weakness! So all we really need to worry about is physical attacks and in particular quake. Only one weakness = good survivability.

Now lets see what moves are good for this lil blighter.

1.SPECIAL ATTACKING

Naturally t-bolt is pretty much a requisite here, good stab giving it a base of about 150! However, Raichu is one of the gifted pokes who can use thunder well, as we shall see in the possible movesets later in this topic.

2.PHYSICAL ATTACKING

Raichu, with a 278 attack, can use physical attacks very well. I think that it can learn submission from rby, and this can be a handy one for general super effectiveness, and unpredictability. Body slam, again I think from rby is decent, though it isn't as useful when you have t-wave to get paralysis inflicted. Thus return, with a fine base damage of hmm 102?, will work well. Present can be learned by breeding, and if the glitch works for it on the gsbot, can be very handy!

3.STATUS CHANGING

Status changers are what make raichu great - its speed can allow it most of the time to go first and inflict paralysis, attraction or even parattraction, obviously making life very difficult for your opponent. Encore is another breeding move, and can be a real ******* if you can switch on someone sweeping with an electric attack - you have say a water out, they use t-bolt which does very little to the switched in raichu, and if they have a strong physical move they will not switch, and suffer the encoring!! If you are lucky enough, sweet kiss could work well without the suicidal after effects of swagger!

4.BYE BYE TERRIBLE DEFENSE

Of even more importance however, is the need to remove the blatant weakness to physical attacks. This is easily achieved with the lovely moves charm and reflect. I think reflect is from rby, and is a pseudopassing move so is great anyway, and I think I heard that it halves your defense and quarters your opponents attack, so against an average 270 attack, we are at 105 def and they at 68 muhahahahahaaaaaaa. Charm is great for forcing switches, good if you have spikes out or if you don't particularly fancy fighting against a certain opponent. Light screen is a learned move, and if combined with charm, allows for some fine tanking, aswell as the fantastic pseudo passing.

So now we have the moves, let's see three different movesets:

+mystic water/mint
rain dance
surf
thunder
t-wave/reflect/charm/attract/rest

This set is probably most people's reason for choosing raichu, we are talking about two special attacks hitting at 150 and 180 base damage. Dave NICE!! Mike SMASH!! (Smashy and Nicey off Harry Enfield). The last move is a filler, all giving Chu more survivability and ease to pull off the fantastic surfstorm combo.

+blackbelt/pink bow
t-bolt
return/present/submission
t-wave
reflect

This is the all purpose general moveset. T-bolt for lovely stab, a decent offensive attack, t-wave and reflect just to round it off nicely.

+bright powder/focus band
attract
t-wave
t-bolt
charm/encore/sweet kiss

This is a cunningly annoying set. The point here is to paralyze with t-wave, and get them so pipkinned (I am trying not to swear so am inventing alternatives) with attract and an annoying 4th move that they volontarily switch and stay paralyzed, as long as you have removed their heal beller (I am not too knowledgable on it being pichu and breeding at same time, which is why attract isn't with the 4th movers). The item is for sheer annoyance, imagine if they are stuck with parattractafusion and finally get in that last hit, only to have raichu survive with focus or it miss with the bright powder!!

Hope this helps,

Raticata

- - - - -
A legendary is only legendary if it has a legendary set.

Bartlebee
Farting Nudist
Member # 1778

Member Rated:
posted 09-02-2001 09:40 AM      Profile for Bartlebee   Email Bartlebee   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by raticata:

1.+mystic water/mint
rain dance
surf
thunder
t-wave/reflect/charm/attract/rest

quote:
Originally posted by raticata:

The point here is to paralyze with t-wave, and get them so pipkinned (I am trying not to swear so am inventing alternatives)

I, on the other hand, have no problem with using well-established swear words.

What, are you fucking retarded? We just get through with a paragraph pointing out his shitty survivability, and you try to give him a set-up like that? He's not going to survive to pull it off. And he can't get Charm/Surf on the same moveset, 'tard.

- - - - -
[Wang deleted due to absurd length.]

From: Your mom's ass | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mewone
I have a pokemon as my username. I mean, come on.
Member # 1694

Member Rated:
posted 09-02-2001 09:52 AM      Profile for Mewone     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nice job Raticata. I'll keep those Raichu movesets in mind. Mwahahahaha!!!
From: Azure Heights | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
raticata
Farting Nudist
Member # 1994

Member Rated:
posted 09-02-2001 10:38 AM      Profile for raticata     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ta Mewone.

Bartlebee Bartlebee, SO sorry, but reflect (if possible) or t-wave or attract can incapicitate the opponent's chance of hitting 'chu hard, thus giving time to set up rain dance and smashy and nicey them away.

"And he can't get Charm/Surf on the same moveset, 'tard."

Hey, I am just trying to help, no need to get all handbaggy on me pal.

As for you using swear words, well it's a shame. I'm sure you'll grow out of this immaturity sometime. But swearing doesn't get you anywhere in this life, self-control does.

Hope you get better some day

- - - - -

Jolt135
Farting Nudist
Member # 1974

Member Rated:
posted 09-02-2001 10:46 AM      Profile for Jolt135   Author's Homepage   Email Jolt135   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's safe to say that Raichu is NOT underused. When you take the n00bies out of the picture, though...

And on the Submission set, why not put Reversal on instead? The Defense is low, so put Endure over Reflect and 1 HP comes very quick.

From: Woodbridge, VA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
PikaBlade
I AM A GIRL
Member # 1039

Member Rated:
posted 09-02-2001 12:29 PM      Profile for PikaBlade   Author's Homepage   Email PikaBlade   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Raichu sets! I use Raichu in my teams beacuse most of my teams are only kawaii pokemon ^^

~Pympchu - Thunderwave/Thunderbolt/Sweet Kiss/Attract @ Miracleberry
~Encorechu - Thunderwave/Sweet Kiss/Encore/Thunderbolt @ Miracleberry
~Surfchu (either) - Surf/Rain Dance/Thunder/Thunderwave @ Mystic Water
~Reversalchu - Thunderwave/Thunderbolt/Endure/Reversal @ ???

Nyao. ^^

- - - - -
~*Pikablade*~
"Truly, if there is evil in the world, it lies within the hearts of mankind." -Tales of Phantasia

buddy_champ
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 1248

Member Rated:
posted 09-02-2001 03:02 PM      Profile for buddy_champ   Email buddy_champ   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What about my creation

PBChu
>>Surf
>>T~Wave
>>Endure
>>Reversal
@MiracleBerry

NOA says he Can get both surf and reversal at the same time i quote" You would have to breed a Pichu to have Reversal (its father would have
to know the move,) then you would need to raise it into a Pikachu. Next,
take it into Pokemon Stadium (not Pokemon Stadium 2) and put it on an
unregistered team of your own Pokemon. Use your team in the Master
Ball of Round Two's Prime Cup, making sure to choose it as a team
member in every round. If you win, your Pikachu will learn Surf. Evolve the
creature into Raichu, and you will have your Raichu with Reversal and Surf." But is it worth all the work?

- - - - -
1) Talking like Tony Danza with a mouthful of a powerful local anesthetic does not make you seem cool, or stylish.

2) Using the above "dialect" whilst simultaneously talking out your ass makes you look even stupider.
~ Automaton

raticata
Farting Nudist
Member # 1994

Member Rated:
posted 09-02-2001 03:49 PM      Profile for raticata     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
PBChu
>>Surf
>>T~Wave
>>Endure
>>Reversal
@MiracleBerry

This looks ok, though i am wondering about t-wave and endure/reversal, if they are paralyzed it will take them much longer to get you down to 1 HP. T-bolt over wave could work.

- - - - -

PikaBlade
I AM A GIRL
Member # 1039

Member Rated:
posted 09-02-2001 09:38 PM      Profile for PikaBlade   Author's Homepage   Email PikaBlade   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No reason to have Surf there without Rain Dance. Surf without RD is pitiful.

- - - - -
~*Pikablade*~
"Truly, if there is evil in the world, it lies within the hearts of mankind." -Tales of Phantasia

Automaton
Farting Nudist
Member # 1234

Member Rated:
posted 09-02-2001 10:58 PM      Profile for Automaton   Author's Homepage   Email Automaton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PikaBlade:
No reason to have Surf there without Rain Dance. Surf without RD is pitiful.

Well, under normal circumstances I'd agree with you, but Raichu needs as much help vs Grounds as possible, so I'd say that any set with Surf is better than those without it.

Badcrow
Cute Fluffy Squirrel
Member # 684

Member Rated:
posted 09-02-2001 11:08 PM      Profile for Badcrow     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Would T-wave along with curse along with some sort of decent physical move and thunderbolt as the special backup.

Body slam comes to mind since that if someone switches the chance to get another desirable para would kick in.

raticata
Farting Nudist
Member # 1994

Member Rated:
posted 09-03-2001 02:18 PM      Profile for raticata     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ah a good debate about some sets, nice.

1.Debating surfing without rain dance.

I would think that surf on its own is fine - with rain dance, you are getting extra power but who would send in a ground poke after that?

They would prob send a grass, so I would stick with just surf, rain dance's purpose is mainly to get thunder hitting.

And is surf really that pitiful without raindance? A 278 special attack using a 95 base damage will still do decent damage, and is there mainly to be super effective against grounds, in particular golem and rhydon.

2.Badcrow's idea:

t-wave
t-bolt
body slam
curse

neat idea, but the problem here is that it can't recover the damage it will take by cursing, which is only limited a bit by paralysis. You are losing raichu's best stat - its speed.

However, what you have illuminated/stumbled on is the idea that you can attract a hazer/roarer/psycher with stat increases, then when they come in to remove/lose/steal advantages you can paralyze them and make a mess of their future meddling if they lack a heal beller/safeguard support.

You could even change t-bolt for submission to make the most of cursing, or keep t-bolt for stab and working vs counterers.

Nice one pal!

- - - - -

Automaton
Farting Nudist
Member # 1234

Member Rated:
posted 09-03-2001 05:44 PM      Profile for Automaton   Author's Homepage   Email Automaton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you're going to curse with an electric type, do it with Magneton or Ampharos.
oporaca
Farting Nudist
Member # 922

Member Rated:
posted 09-03-2001 09:25 PM      Profile for oporaca     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by buddy_champ:
NOA says he Can get both surf and reversal at the same time i quote" You would have to breed a Pichu to have Reversal (its father would have
to know the move,) then you would need to raise it into a Pikachu. Next,
take it into Pokemon Stadium (not Pokemon Stadium 2) and put it on an
unregistered team of your own Pokemon. Use your team in the Master
Ball of Round Two's Prime Cup, making sure to choose it as a team
member in every round. If you win, your Pikachu will learn Surf. Evolve the
creature into Raichu, and you will have your Raichu with Reversal and Surf." But is it worth all the work?

May I ask how you'd get a Pokemon with Reversal onto Chromatic Stadium?

- - - - -
I'm a closet Pokémon fan -- all evidence I like Pokémon is locked away in my closet.

Linkin2874
Farting Nudist
Member # 1501

Member Rated:
posted 09-05-2001 11:12 PM      Profile for Linkin2874   Email Linkin2874   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe I'm missing something here, but can't you get Charm and Surf on the same Raichu? Would this work? Breed for Pichu with Charm. Then evolve it into Pikachu and delete Charm. Put Pikachu on Stadium 1 to get Surf. Put Pikachu on Stadium 2 to get Charm again.

...Or...

Have a male and female Pikachu with Surf breed to make a Pichu with Surf and Charm. Or does that only work with TMs and not HMs?

I could be completely off, but I tried to help.

- - - - -
"This is not my life, this is not my home, this is not me, I hate this." This is Not: Static-X

From: Wakarusa, IN USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
DarkLickitung
I AM FRIENDS WITH ZACK_COMRADE IRL
Member # 1672

Member Rated:
posted 09-06-2001 12:16 AM      Profile for DarkLickitung   Email DarkLickitung   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Stadium 2 can't remember breeded moves that were deleted.

- - - - -
Nine out of ten Zacks endorse stupidity.

From: See You Auntie. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Umbreon master
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 2187

Member Rated:
posted 09-07-2001 03:10 PM      Profile for Umbreon master   Email Umbreon master   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I prefer
rain dance
thunder
surf
thunder wave

Because raichu dosnt have a lot of stayying power.

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.