The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Omanyte Historical Foundation   » Underused Pokemon #189, Jumpluff.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Underused Pokemon #189, Jumpluff.
Mewone
I have a pokemon as my username. I mean, come on.
Member # 1694

Member Rated:
posted 09-01-2001 01:09 AM      Profile for Mewone     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Woo hoo! My first underused topic! If it sucks, don't hit me! LOL.

First off, lets take a look at its stats, shall we?

HP: 353
Attack: 208
Defense: 238
Speed: 318
Special Attack: 208
Special Defense: 268

Its HP is pretty average, so it can't be complained about. Synthesis heals it anyway.

Because G/S seems to be focused around physical teams these days, its attack it pretty much crap. Not too much you can do with it. Return could do a bit though.

Because its only weak physically to poison, flying, and rock attacks, defense could be OK, although it's nothing special. Seeing as it only takes half damage from fighting attacks, which are pretty common, it has a small edge. And seeing as you can breed Reflect into it, defense is doubled to a very high 476, so nothing physical is going to be harming it too fast.

Now Jumpluff's speed is nothing short of awesome for a sleep inducing Pokemon. The fastest right now is still Jynx, with a mere 288 speed, it can still be outrun by quite a few Pokemon. With the ability to learn Sleep Powder and Stun Spore, it's a great status inflicter.

Jumpluff's special attack sucks just as bad as its attack, but it has to have at least one damage dealing move, and it gets STAB, we might as well take a look. It can learn Giga Drain, Solar Beam (with Sunny Day as a possible assistance), and Hidden Power. Leech Seed could prove useful as well.

Special Defense should be at least that high! Quadruple weakness to ice is no fun, ask Dragonite. But there are only about three likely ice moves these days: Hidden Power ice, Ice Beam, and Ice punch. Fire hurts just as bad though: fire is a very common enemy. Amnesia can make a big difference though, raising Special Defense to 999 in three uses. Too bad Amnesia only raises Special Defense.

Looking at this, I can see these movesets working reasonably well:

-Sleep Powder
-Stun Spore
-Solar Beam
-Sunny Day
@-Leftovers
Double Powder. Put em' to sleep, make it all bright, then Solar Beam away!

-Stun Spore
-Swagger/Attract
-Synthesis
-Return
@-Miracle Berry
Paracon/paratraction. It's something like the Death Star, just with different types.

-Encore
-Stun Spore
-Double Team
-Hidden Power (grass)
@-Leftovers
Annoyance. The strategy is to switch in on a not-very-effective move, then use Encore. Stun Spore them after that, then begin your evasive raising. Using Leftovers to recover most of the damage you took, you should be set up good. Make sure to keep them using the Encored move, if possible. Slowly beat down with Hidden Power.

I can't think of many more, because it's 2:05 in the morning, and my brain is tired. Am I a real Azurian yet?

[ 09-01-2001: Message edited by: Mewone ]

From: Azure Heights | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
DarkLickitung
I AM FRIENDS WITH ZACK_COMRADE IRL
Member # 1672

Member Rated:
posted 09-01-2001 01:36 AM      Profile for DarkLickitung   Email DarkLickitung   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jumpluff fucking owns. His Special Attack and Attack stat are too low for attacking. He does one thing, and does it exceedingly well. He forces switches like nothing else. My entire team is built around forcing switching under Spikes with Jumpluff until the opponent is sufficiently injured for me to sweep with Rhydon, Gengar, and Starmie, depending on the situation. I go with-

SmileyGladhand (F) @ Leftovers
-Sleep Powder
-Stun Spore
-Encore
-Leech Seed

Basically, lay your Spikes. Explode, Ice Beam, Double-Edge, whatever you want. After you switch out your Spiker or its dead, pull out this thing. Stun Spore and Leech Seed away. An effective technique is to switch into an Earthquake and Encore it. If you're working in a Sleep Clause environment, try and save Sleep Powder for the Heal Beller that comes out; if they can't Heal Bell away all the Stun Spores, they're at Jumpluff's mercy. He has no use for any direct attack or Synthesis, as most of the time, your opponent will be Leech Seeded and either asleep or paralyzed, which will give you 18% a turn. I took a Ho-oh down to 5% with this thing; sadly, it woke up one turn too soon and CH Sacred Fired my ass.

Mewone: defense is doubled

Actually, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong, because I heard this information in PBS chat) that when you use Reflect, your defense is halved and your opponent's attack is quartered.

[ 09-01-2001: Message edited by: DarkLickitung ]

- - - - -
Nine out of ten Zacks endorse stupidity.

From: See You Auntie. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
ThumbsOfSteel
Farting Nudist
Member # 1922

Member Rated:
posted 09-01-2001 07:42 AM      Profile for ThumbsOfSteel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I love Jumpluff.

Swagger
Stun Spore
Encore
leech seed
@leftovers

Set up everything, encore a 1 time use move or FP or Confusion. You can encore them, right.

- - - - -
"If you put that post in 00bersig, you owe every post ever made by MK a 6-foot monument made of platinum." -StarCaliber
"I'm pretty sure it says in there somewhere that Iron Tailing Mewtwos are half price." -Uiru
This message will selfdestruct in 10 seconds.

From: Nowhere on a normal map | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cesar
Farting Nudist
Member # 529

Member Rated:
posted 09-01-2001 06:08 PM      Profile for Cesar   Email Cesar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was probably the first person to use an encoring Jumpluff. Its original moveset was:

Jumpluff (Luffian) @ either miracle seed or leftovers
Giga Drain
Encore
Leech seed
Stun spore

It was used to battle against any pokemon with a ground attack, since I did have 3 weaknesses to it

Hey, it once trashed a miltank

From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
raticata
Farting Nudist
Member # 1994

Member Rated:
posted 09-01-2001 07:52 PM      Profile for raticata     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have to say IMO that I thought pluffy was quite common, but it turns out that there are a lot of squeamish players who see it as useless. Gaaaaaaaaaaaah.

This poke is really good. Don't try to defend the 4* to ice, these things happen with 2 types, just ask tyran or the rather unfortunate magacargo.

As for attacking, well, return will not be doing anything special, but I have seen headbutt - good for flinching, and general messing with opponent.

Anyway, you gave a great report on it, analysis of stats, movesets, and if it is true that you are a full Azurian after doing an underused pokemon, you are!!

Hopefully, someday we will have lots of underused reports, and we can make them into a rather nifty guide of pokescience.

- - - - -
A legendary is only legendary if it has a legendary set.

oporaca
Farting Nudist
Member # 922

Member Rated:
posted 09-06-2001 12:18 AM      Profile for oporaca     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by raticata:
Hopefully, someday we will have lots of underused reports, and we can make them into a rather nifty guide of pokescience.

You had better start soon. If you do, expect more from me.

- - - - -
I'm a closet Pokémon fan -- all evidence I like Pokémon is locked away in my closet.

Thom Burr
Farting Nudist
Member # 1267

Member Rated:
posted 09-06-2001 11:10 AM      Profile for Thom Burr   Email Thom Burr   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Jumpluff is nifty.

Sleep Powder
Leech Seed
Giga Drain
Return
@ Miracle Berry

Tells your opponent--switch or die, bay-bee! True, there are more than enough berries out there, and Sleep Powder doesn't always hit, and Jumpluff doesn't always strike first...but the risk is very acceptable. For me, anyway...the Dandelion/Milkweed Thing can take at least one hit from (almost) anything (except Ice).

If there is a Sleep Clause in play, switch Return for Toxic.

- - - - -
This is not a signature.

StealthNinjaScyther
Farting Nudist
Member # 1833

Member Rated:
posted 09-07-2001 01:04 AM      Profile for StealthNinjaScyther   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What's the point of not using Synthesis on Jumpluff? I say that Synthesis always goes over Giga Drain, Giga Drain won't do much damage or heal and only has 8pp max. Well, anyway I made a Jumpluff set awhile back, a nice annoyer.

Jumpluff(Leftovers)
Headbutt
Sleep Powder
Leech Seed
Synthesis

Start out with Sleep Powder, then go with Leech Seed because even if the opponent switches they'll immediately get hit with Leech Seed. Headbutt away because flinching with Leftovers is most definitely good. With Synthesis in there along with Leech Seed and Leftovers it could be quite hard to bring down Jumpluff. If the opponent switches around a lot it probably isn't going to do them too much good. The biggest downfall to this set is Jumpluff's own weaknesses, but since that can't really be avoided with Jumpluff I figure that this is a pretty good set.

- - - - -
[blank]

From: Auburn, WA, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Umbreon master
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 2187

Member Rated:
posted 09-07-2001 02:59 PM      Profile for Umbreon master   Email Umbreon master   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
On mIRC u will probaly find that these are probably semi-overused.The great speed helps out and they make fine little vampires.
Egads
Farting Nudist
Member # 1357

Member Rated:
posted 09-10-2001 07:14 AM      Profile for Egads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I used to use an annoyer/fun Jumpluff...

Stun Spore
Leech Seed
Protect
Attract

I usually like to see how long Jumpluff can last but if you really want to use Jumpluff in a useful way, maybe encore over attract
it helps stop perish singers and cursers

- - - - -
Dis Is KrbyRox...ya...

Heracross20
Farting Nudist
Member # 2133

Member Rated:
posted 09-18-2001 07:42 AM      Profile for Heracross20   Author's Homepage   Email Heracross20   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jumpluff is probably one of the best pokemon out there, and one of my favorites. Like DL said, the only moveset that makes any sense is Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, Encore, Leechseed. With it's stats, Jumpluff should only be used defensivily, and should be backed by a rock-slide obsorber, and a ice beam obsorber (non-flying electric). The problem is, as people realize Jumpluff's potential, they start using him too, and I fear the day when all those counters will be made just for him....

- - - - -
*some stupid but funny quote* ;)

From: try to find me *runz* | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ProTrainer2001
Farting Nudist
Member # 1384

Member Rated:
posted 09-18-2001 09:50 AM      Profile for ProTrainer2001   Email ProTrainer2001   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
::Scratches his head:: I uhh didnt know Jumpluff was underused..... ::Shrugs::

- - - - -
Osama Bin Ladin is hiding inside of an Xbox.

*HeRaCr0sS*
Farting Nudist
Member # 1193

Member Rated:
posted 09-22-2001 12:36 AM      Profile for *HeRaCr0sS*     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ProTrainer2001:
::Scratches his head:: I uhh didnt know Jumpluff was underused..... ::Shrugs::

Indeed. It's probably one of the most common Pokémon used for Sleep attacks...

- - - - -
- The Horny Bug
"heh that guy is a n00b he uses selfdestruct over explosion XD" - Theman15 on a Snorlax

StealthNinjaScyther
Farting Nudist
Member # 1833

Member Rated:
posted 09-22-2001 01:39 AM      Profile for StealthNinjaScyther   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just realized something about my set, it can be extremely annoying when backed by a trap pass Umbreon. Here is my set once again:

Jumpluff(Leftovers)
Return/Double Edge/Giga Drain
Sleep Powder
Leech Seed
Synthesis

Since you can now choose who you face and the opponent can't switch you might as well use Return/Double Edge or Giga Drain instead of Headbutt. This basically removes most dangers from Jumpluff as you can stay away from anything that has an attack that could cause Jumpluff considerable damage. Your opponent will probably find it hard to cause much damage to Jumpluff when they're asleep and while Jumpluff's HP is being restored by Leftovers, Leech Seed, Synthesis if needed, and possibly even Giga Drain.

- - - - -
[blank]

From: Auburn, WA, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heracross20
Farting Nudist
Member # 2133

Member Rated:
posted 09-22-2001 11:43 AM      Profile for Heracross20   Author's Homepage   Email Heracross20   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I will stick to this set though:

Jumpluff
Sleep Powder
Stun Spore
Encore
Leech Seed
@Leftovers

Lately though, I've realized Jumpluff does not get to use stun spore a lot in battle, instead, I'd go for the leech seed. So I might put Giga Drain over Stun Spore. Either way, both moves could help.

- - - - -
*some stupid but funny quote* ;)

From: try to find me *runz* | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.