The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Omanyte Historical Foundation   » Yeah, it hasn't been too long, but RMT anyway. :)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yeah, it hasn't been too long, but RMT anyway. :)
PowerAngelic
I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was...
Member # 693

Member Rated:
posted 08-31-2001 02:51 PM      Profile for PowerAngelic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've made quite a few changes to my team since I posted it here last, so check it out.

Cloyster (F) @ Scope Lens
Surf
Ice Beam
Explosion
Spikes

My Spiker. Not much to say here.

Electabuzz (M) @ Leftovers
Thunderbolt
Ice Punch
Cross Chop
Meditate/Screech

Mixed Sweeper. I'm not sure if 'Buzz can get both Meditate and Cross Chop legally. My favorite Pokemon.

Magmar (M) @ Leftovers
Flamethrower
Confuse Ray
Psychic
Cross Chop

Another mixed sweeper. Confuse ray to prevent poor Magmar from getting hit (because it really can't handle it). This thing has taken down a Ho-oh on GSBot. Psychic for Machamp, if it comes to that.

Hypno (F) @ Leftovers
Psychic
Reflect
Thunder Wave
Attract

Parattract Hypno. I chose Hypno for its high Special Defense. I'm thinking about Swagger over Attract, since I have Reflect on it. If I make it a male Hypno, I can use it to destroy Miltanks.

Golem (M) @ Leftovers
Earthquake
Counter
Rock Slide
Explosion

Standardelicious. I took down a Lugia with this one. Stupid 00ber birds, when will they learn?

Noctowl (M) @ Nothing
Thief
Wing Attact
Reflect
Whirlwind

Thief and PseudoHazer/Passer. I know, I know, Skarmory is better. But Noctowl is more fun, so Nyah to you.

That's it. Please rate it. Thanks in advance.

- - - - -
It's about Power.

From: Canada. Stop Laughing. ;_; | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
JolteonG3
Farting Nudist
Member # 2146

Member Rated:
posted 08-31-2001 09:30 PM      Profile for JolteonG3   Author's Homepage   Email JolteonG3   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'll evaluate this...but be forwarned I'm not the best strategist and have little experience in GSC battlling, so my rating may not be all that valuable.

Cloyster looks good in terms of moves, but Scope Lens as an item is questionable as it only raises the CH chance by (I belive) 6.25%. Since it is a starter, Miracle Berry may not be a bad idea, but Pink Bow would give the Explosions extra power.

Electabuzz also looks good. Barrier would be helpful, but unfortunately Barrier and Cross Chop at the same time are not legal.

Magmar would also benifit from Barrier, but unfortunately the same is true about him as with Buzz. I can't really give you good advice with him.

For parattracting, I suggest you give Hypno a moveset of Psycic/Seismic Toss, Substitute, Attract, Thunderwave. A very similar moveset works well for Jolteon (or so I've heard), so I'd expect it to work well with Hypno as well. Your moveset, however, still appears very good. I would not recommend making Hypno male, however, since a female attracter (such as Miltank) may attract Hypno before Hypno can attract the female .

Golem looks very good, except I feel that Leftovers and Explosion contradict. I see it useless to recover heath only to Explode. Then again, remember that my battle experience is nearly nil, so you might just want to use what you find works.

I have no experience with Noctowl, so I wouldn't be able to evaluate it well. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Overall the movesets are very well thought out. It just seems to me that a team using Spikes should have more Pokemon to encourage switches. Granted, Noctowl and Hypno do, but using Toxic and/or Sandstorm could further encouage switches. I would recommend using Sandstorm since Toxic would conflict with the Paralysis Hypno inflicts.

Overall, a very good team, but I recommend integrating more ways to make the opponent switch, making Spikes much more effective. Good luck in battling with it and I hope I have been helpful!

Lieutenant Aerodactyl
Farting Nudist
Member # 1967

Member Rated:
posted 08-31-2001 10:01 PM      Profile for Lieutenant Aerodactyl   Email Lieutenant Aerodactyl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Heck, well, I'm kinda bored, with nothing to do, so I guess I'll rate your team....

Cloyster- Whatever floats your boat. Though, don't make Cloyster a Female. It doesn't give Explosion enough power. If you're lucky, then I GUESS you can use Scope Lens, but if not use either Miracle Berry or Pink Bow.

Electabuzz- Maybe use Reflect/Light Screen/Thunder Wave in place of Meditate/Screech? (I believe that it's possible to have Meditate and Cross Chop on the same poke- breed with a Primeape with both of those moves)

Magmar- Well, one sweeper is usually enough. I've found him to be quite a contender for those nasty Heal Bellers if you keep it Male, and if you want Attract over Psychic. Actually, Electabuzz and Magmar together as sweepers aren't really that recommended as Dugtrio gets STAB on its Earthquake, and both of them die in 2 hits (I know, I know, he isn't that common)

Hypno- No comment

Golem- Golem is good. Put in Pink Bow in there.

Noctowl- If you insist on using Noctowl, then have Minty Rest in there somewhere. Then you can recover damage, and on the next turn, maybe steal a Mint Berry from an enemy Minty Rester so you can Mint Rest again! Other than that, well, as good as Noctowl gets.

Well, that's my rate. I'm one of the people still new at GSC, so don't take my words as set in stone. As JolteonG3 said, you could incorporate more ways to make/force the opponent to switch.

raticata
Farting Nudist
Member # 1994

Member Rated:
posted 09-02-2001 04:42 PM      Profile for raticata     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cloyster (F) @ Scope Lens
Surf
Ice Beam
Explosion
Spikes

Give this a mira berry - it really needs it, or a quick claw, but you have to make sure you can get off the spikes and explode before your terrible special defense kills you. As for having two attacks, well I suppose they get stab, but as it will die soon, I would like to see reflect just so it makes life easier for electa and magmar. So have that over either attack, and change item for a quick claw or mira berry. Otherwise, good.

Electabuzz (M) @ Leftovers
Thunderbolt
Ice Punch
Cross Chop
Meditate/Screech

Cross chop without stab running off a average attack isn't too hot, and your use of meditate/screech gives it all away, plus you will get force switched by a roarer. You can have psychic as a good sweeping move, running off a better special attack, and t-wave really is great. Thus, t-wave to start, and then sweeping with t-bolt/ice punch/psychic will be fine. Good poke.

Magmar (M) @ Leftovers
Flamethrower
Confuse Ray
Psychic
Cross Chop

Hmm....well I am not liking your wholesale use of leftovers, this could do with a sunny day over psychic. I would allow cross chop on this poke as both it an electa need a status changer, c-ray here, t-wave for electa, and I don't think electa can have t-wave and cross chop. Give it black belt over lefties.

Hypno (F) @ Leftovers
Psychic
Reflect
Thunder Wave
Attract

I like this a lot! This one could use leftovers well. Fine, great, woo hoo!

Golem (M) @ Leftovers
Earthquake
Counter
Rock Slide
Explosion

Again fine, give it pink bow or quick claw though.

Noctowl (M) @ Nothing
Thief
Wing Attact
Reflect
Whirlwind

You should by now have plenty of reflect support, and thus you can drop reflect here for rest, and give it a mint berry. This is the trick you will take big damage in thieving and winding, and if you can steal a mint/mira berry, you can use it on yourself with a rest and steal again!

Overall I really, REALLY liked this team! It had fine strategy, no less than 6 underused pokes, each with a generally decent set, and I can actually see it doing well. Congrats!

- - - - -
A legendary is only legendary if it has a legendary set.

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.