The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Omanyte Historical Foundation   » A Bizarre Team of the Underused

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Bizarre Team of the Underused
JolteonG3
Farting Nudist
Member # 2146

Member Rated:
posted 08-29-2001 09:01 PM      Profile for JolteonG3   Author's Homepage   Email JolteonG3   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Three words sum-up the current GSC metagame: Big Physical Damage. Pokemon such as Curselax, Machamp, and Thick Bone Marowak essentially dominate the battle arena. Status changes are much less useful because Heal Bellers are incredibly common. While many strategies have emerged to defeat the current trends, one less-common is to build a team the thrives on receiving huge amounts of damage. The following team attempts to employ that strategy without failing too miserably.

Alakazam-Female
Psychic
Thunderwave
Attract
Substitute
Attachment: PRZ Cure Berry

Yes, this is nearly Automatonís Jolteon Moveset put on an Alakazam, but in many ways, it has advantages over the original. Psychic can be an invaluable asset, if only to eliminate ground types that refuse to switch out. PRZ Cure Berry was chosen for the item attachment since Alakzamís speed is less than Jolteons (though this might not be all that useful, considerring it is very high), and being paralyzed before putting out a Substitute could be disastrous. The only disadvantage is that without Leftovers (the usual attachment for Automatonís Jolteon), Alakazam has significantly less staying power.

Dunsparce-Female
Return
Curse/Psyche Up
Spite
Glare/Ancient Power
Attachment: Leftovers

The infamous snake makes its appearance on this team, and actually serves a very essential purpose. Hopefully, Alakazam will be able to draw out a Heal Beller, so Dunsparce can use Spite and eliminate Heal Bellís PP. Dunsparce almost seems designed for Curse, considering its speed, more a liability than an asset, can afford to be reduced, and its attack and defense could use some support. Glare would make it useful as a back-up paralyzer, but ancient power would allow it to potentially increase its stats. Any help on deciding between the two would be appreciated. Despite using exclusively physical attacks, Dunsparce is female to avoid being infatuated by a Miltank (or any other Heal Bell user) with Attract.

Jolteon-Feamale
Thunderbolt
Attract
Thundwave
Substitute

Jolteon just paralyses after Alakazam goes down, a Heal Beller has successfully eliminated all the paralysis Alakzam inflicted, and Heal Bellís PP has been eliminated by Spite. Credit for this moveset goes to Automaton.

Dodrio-Male
Flail
Endure
Return
Drill Peck
Attachment: Pink Bow

Use of the Reversal/Flail combo is why all the paralysis used on this team is necessary. Dodrio has, by far, the highest attack of any Pokemon that has STAB on Flail (the others, Eevee and Farfetchíd, donít even come close). Though the Pink Bow usually doesnít have a great effect on powering up moves, it adds quite a bit of damage when a full-power Flail is used. Yes, this Dodrio has no way to deal with Rock-types, but Steel Wing is rather weak and Dodrio doesnít get STAB with it, making it a poor solution to the problem.

Primeape-Male
Reversal
Endure
Cross Chop
Seismic Toss
Attachment: Blackbelt

This Primeape is essentially a Fighting version of Dodrio. Seismic Toss was chosen over the commonly used Rock Slide because of its reliability. This does make Primeape unable to deal with ghosts, but hopefully, I would be able to switch Primeape out before itís to late.

Meganium-Male
Earthquake/Leech Seed/Giga Drain/Return
Reflect
Counter
Rest/Synthesis
Attachment: Mint Berry/Leftovers

Its been called, amoung other things, useless, but, surprisingly enough, Meganium actually a decent Counter to Curselax, Marowak, Machamp, and Skarmory.

Cuselax-After a reflect, even with 999 attack, Curselax canít kill Meganium. The counter will fall short of killing the Snorlax (at max hp), but if Snorlax is damaged enough, Meganium can be an incredible asset. Also, due to its high Special Defence, a Fire Blast from Curselax wonít do very much.
Marowak-Even with Thick Club atached and a Swords Dance, Marowak can only KO sometimes Meganium with Bug Power. After a Reflect, Meganium has an 100% percent of survival and an 100% chance of a KO with Counter. As with Cusrelax, Fire Blast is not a major threat.
Machamp-Meganium can take a Cross Chop easily, and (I believe) even a critical hit. It can also Counter for the KO. Fire Blast is not a threat.
Skarmory-Meganium can survive a Drill Peck and Counter for a KO.

A problem that plagues Meganium is how to recover from damage. Minty Rest (very prole, but useful nevertheless), would work the best after receiving high damage, but is only useful once. Synthesis and Leftovers would only recover some damage, but would be more useful in recovering from instances that only partially weakened Meganium (such as a Fire Blast from Snorlax, Marowak, or Machamp).

Alternate
Tentacruel-Male
Surf
Sludge Bomb/Rain Dance/Ice Beam
Mirror Coat
Rest
Attachment: Mint Berry

Due to the lack of Special Attackers in the current metagame, Tentacruel is an alternate. He can be used instead of another member of the team if I am facing a team of Special Attackers. Rain dance would be great for powering up Surf, but would conflict with Synthesis.

Potentially Issues
It seems as though Fire attacks are very popular, even on traditionally physical attackers (such as Machamp). Is a lack of one a major problem? Also, do I have adequate resources to battle them.

This team does not comply with the Item Clause. How often is this enforced in an online environment and would a lack of compliance be a major problem?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Your ideas, criticism, and thoughts on the team, as well as answers to the above questions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.-JolteonG3 (Not responsible for typographical errors (in other words Iím to lazy to proofread))

Edit: Primeape's Flail should have been Endure.
Edit: It took me two edits to get right?! Good thing people can't sue due to stupidity!

[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: JolteonG3 ]

[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: JolteonG3 ]

Payback
Farting Nudist
Member # 2029

Member Rated:
posted 08-30-2001 12:41 AM      Profile for Payback     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Your team looks good and well thought out. I'm not an expert on Metallics, but it seems that you are a bit too focused on the current standards and that you couldn't handle much of a deviation from the expected. For example, Alakazam, Jolty and Dunsparce are focused together on draining heal bell pp's. This could be a problem if you dont lure out the heal beller or if there is none. you also are lacking in a roar/whirlwind pokemon. That could pose another problem

Sorry if all this looks crazy, im not the smartest guy here. Its probably useless ramblings anyway...

From: Annapolis, MD | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Charmeleon42
Date Rapist
Member # 1066

Member Rated:
posted 08-30-2001 01:03 AM      Profile for Charmeleon42   Author's Homepage   Email Charmeleon42   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I looked through the team once more...

Espeon can do some great damage to it... with Heal Bell support, yes, but still, it can potentially sweep.... with Charm. Zam and Jolteon can do some good damage to Espeon... but even if Jolty put up a sub, Espys Special is high enough to destroy it right after it is made..... I would imagine.

So... Espeon is to be ph33r3d.

- - - - -
my god, how stupid can two people be? Attracting a Starmie thats trying to Thunder-Wave a Quagsire.

From: Mountain Dew Land | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
raticata
Farting Nudist
Member # 1994

Member Rated:
posted 08-30-2001 03:04 PM      Profile for raticata     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
underused? I MUST RATE!!

Alakazam-Female
Psychic
Thunderwave
Attract
Substitute
Attachment: PRZ Cure Berry

Don't try to give ala long survivability, it isn't made for this, it is made for maybe pseudo passing, esentially blasting. Maybe have one of attract/sub, but make sure you leave space for another special attack or reflect/light screen. I shouldn't think it will survive setting up t-wave then attract then losing a quarter.

Dunsparce-Female
Return
Curse/Psyche Up
Spite
Glare/Ancient Power

Very good - I like this a lot. Return for good stab, curse or psych up, hmmm. Curse is good, cos then when a hazer comes in you can spite their hazing, then again, roarers are popular, so I would go for psych up, very handy. AP doesn't hit hard enough, and the stat raising will just get lost by other roarers, so go with the lovely glare. Good set!

Jolteon-Feamale
Thunderbolt
Attract
Thundwave
Substitute

Hmm, could work I suppose.

Dodrio-Male
Flail
Endure
Return
Drill Peck
Attachment: Pink Bow

Great!

Primeape-Male
Reversal
Flail
Cross Chop
Seismic Toss
Attachment: Blackbelt

Reversal and flail and cross chop? Seriously, flail won't do much as primeape doesn't get stab on it, while your use of reversal and cross chop is certianly dubious. You lack a rock attack, so why not rock slide?? Gives added insurance against flyers. Lose one of flail/reversal for rock slide, am really not sure on the rest.

Meganium-Male
Earthquake/Leech Seed/Giga Drain/Return
Reflect
Counter
Rest/Synthesis
Attachment: Mint Berry/Leftovers

I like this, synth always over rest. As for the attack, giga for stab and survival after a good counter. You are not super effective against a ground poke, and this combined with jolty shatters waters.

Alternate
Tentacruel-Male
Surf
Sludge Bomb/Rain Dance/Ice Beam
Mirror Coat
Rest
Attachment: Mint Berry

Good, definitely rain dance in second slot. Don't worry about contradictions, doesn't matter much.

Overall a very good team, though I am not sure about ala and jolty, suspicious IMO, but I'm sure it will work. Good stuff! However, only primeape and dunspy are underused IMO.

- - - - -
A legendary is only legendary if it has a legendary set.

JolteonG3
Farting Nudist
Member # 2146

Member Rated:
posted 08-30-2001 04:32 PM      Profile for JolteonG3   Author's Homepage   Email JolteonG3   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your suggestions Payback, Charmeleon42, and raticata!! I really appreciate it!

Payback-You're right about it being very focussed, and therefore I think I'm going to make Jolteon the Alternate and put Tentacruel on the main team. It would help against special attackers. As for Roar/Whirlwind, I think it would be great to intigrate it, but I'm not really sure how without completely modifying the team structure.

Charmeleon42-I completely overlooked Charming Espeon...thanks for bringing it to my attention. It would pose a significant problem, so I think I'm going to put Tentacruel on the main team. Hopefully, Tentacruel will be able to Mirror Coat Espeon's Psychic, being able to KO it before it becomes a major problem. This may not work against an advanced strategist though.

raticata-I've decided to definately use Glare on Dunsparce, especially if I use Tentcruel instead of Jolteon. Primeape's moveset was a typo, so thanks for pointing it out. As for using Rock Slide, I'm worried about having to low-accuracy moves (Rock Slide and Cross Chop). Rock Power may be a considerration though. I think I will use Giga Drain and Syntheis on Meganium, but I'm concerned that Giga Drain would not be effective enough in Destroying Snorlax (due to its high special defence).

Thanks everyone, and I hope to be able to rate your teams because of the time you took to give me suggestions. I just started school and am getting tons of work, so you might not see any ratings until this weekend when I get a break!!

Thanks Again!

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokťmon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.