The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Omanyte Historical Foundation   » Tentacruel: Yet Another Overlooked Pokemon

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tentacruel: Yet Another Overlooked Pokemon
Jolt135
Farting Nudist
Member # 1974

Member Rated:
posted 08-26-2001 10:24 AM      Profile for Jolt135   Author's Homepage   Email Jolt135   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As the saying goes, “You’re not a REAL Azurian until you do a discussion about an underused Pokemon.” Okay, maybe not, but I’ll do one anyway. The subject: That overlooked, 80-tentacled freak of Nintendo, who we like to call Tentacruel.

Overview:
Tentacruel was rarely ever used in RBY because it was weak to Psychic and Electric, two of the 3 most common types. In GSC, its popularity rose a bit thanks to Mirror Coat, but it’s not hugely taken kindly to. It’s essentially a non-legendary, not-as-good version of Suicune.

Stats: (All rankings include only fully-evolved Pokemon, plus Scyther.)

HP: 363, tied for 54th.
Attack: 238, tied for 100th.
Defense: 228, tied for 93rd.
Special A: 258, tied for 61st.
Special D: 338, tied for 8th.
Speed: 298, tied for 20th.
Overall: 1723, tied for 35th.

So essentially, it has two good stats: Speed and Special D. Its Special D is so high that even with the weakness to Psychic, it’s guaranteed to survive a non-crit-hit Psychic against a Twistedspoon Mewtwo. In some cases, it will survive it with over 100 HP to spare! Without the Spoon, though, Mewtwo hits for a minimum of 234, which will please all the Mirror Coaters out there. It’s also guaranteed a shot against a Zapdos Thunder with a Magnet, surviving by at least 15 HP (not to mention it’s just as fast as Zappy). In fact, the only thing that OHKO’s Tentacruel without stat boosts or a crit-hit would be an Earthquake from Donphan or Rhydon, and guess what they’re weak to? That’s right, Water.

Best Strategies:
There are two things Tentacruel is worthwhile for: It can Haze, and it can use Mirror Coat.
Unfortunately, it can’t have both at the same time. *rants*
As a Hazer, Vaporeon is arguably better. It has a lot more HP to make up for the SD loss. However, Vaporeons don’t usually Haze anymore; they serve as a platform for BP’ing an Acid Armor and a Substitute. In addition, Tentacruel’s Poison type removes the Grass weakness, and we all know the range of powder moves a Grass-type can use. (Tentacruel can use Safeguard to prevent this, but not in conjunction with Haze. It CAN have Safeguard and Mirror Coat simultaneously.)
So, while hazing may work here, there are better choices. It would still be interesting to see someone make a Hazing Tentacruel, though. (Just don’t use Sludge Bomb; Poison has only one SE and too many resistances, and Tentacruel’s Attack is too low IMO.)

Now, on to Mirror Coat. Tentacruel’s only physical weakness is to Ground, and you can Surf any Ground-types away and use Barrier for defense (also against non-Grounds using EQ). However, the very high SD makes Mirror Coating take forever. Good thing it has 32 PP. Alternately, you can just Surf away when not against Electric or Psychic, since most people can tell when it’s coming and just avoid special attacks. But if it has Rest, what would they be able to do with physical attacks behind multiple Barriers? Perhaps the best moveset I can come up with is Surf/Mirror Coat/Barrier/Rest, attach Leftovers. So as you can see, it works KIND of like Suicune. However, it can’t haze or pseudohaze (well, unless it ditches Mirror Coat).

I’d be interested to see someone compare Tentacruel to Blastoise, either in its own topic or in a reply to this thread. I’m personally not a fan of the starters, so if an underused tourney comes along, count on me using Tentacruel to fill Suicune’s slot.

From: Woodbridge, VA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shenlong19
unregistered

posted 08-26-2001 10:33 AM           Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i still prefer toise though cruel aint ot bad
IP: Logged
raticata
Farting Nudist
Member # 1994

Member Rated:
posted 08-26-2001 11:08 AM      Profile for raticata     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hooray another underused topic....

IMO tenta is great, though I am not sure about the usage of mirro coat.

If it can learn barrier AND safeguard, I would go with those, plus the obilagatory surf, maybe icebeam as a last move.

To use it as a coater however, the idea is simple - give it raindance, thus making it's surf VERY powerful, and thunderers should be crushed. The set should thus be :

+leftovers/mint/mystic water
raindance
surf
mirror coat
rest

- - - - -
A legendary is only legendary if it has a legendary set.

SDShamshel
Farting Nudist
Member # 791

Member Rated:
posted 08-26-2001 11:11 AM      Profile for SDShamshel   Email SDShamshel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sludge Bomb is just fine on Tentacruel. It may not have the highest attack, but with STAB, Sludge Bomb becomes quite a bit more powerful. I consider Tentacruel's max attack of 238 the absolute minimum for usage on a non-STAB attack. All the better that Tenta gets STAB.

Quite useful against some of the higher special defense folks.

- - - - -
Pretty de Cure Cure
Futari wa Precure

Jolt135
Farting Nudist
Member # 1974

Member Rated:
posted 08-26-2001 11:17 AM      Profile for Jolt135   Author's Homepage   Email Jolt135   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Except that Sludge Bomb beats just one type (grass), and what would I take off for it?
From: Woodbridge, VA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heracross20
Farting Nudist
Member # 2133

Member Rated:
posted 08-26-2001 01:26 PM      Profile for Heracross20   Author's Homepage   Email Heracross20   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
tentacruel is very overlooked...it can do some serious damage to a pokemon without a phsycial attack, especially an electric type if they don't get a critical hit.

- - - - -
*some stupid but funny quote* ;)

From: try to find me *runz* | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 08-26-2001 04:13 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I concur, Tentacruel is strong, especially if your opponent isn't that smart... Since Tentacruel isn' that popular, they may not know he/she/it can get Mirror Coat, and since both of it's main weaknesses are special attacks, just let the damage roll in, hopefully survive, mirror coat, and watch the kiddies cry

Sludge Bomb would be good because it is the strongest actual Poison Attack that gets STAB, has about (if not exactly) a 1 in 3 chance of poisoning the opponent, and, well, it's a poison attack

But, Tentacruel doesn't 100% need Sludge Bomb, but, you may want to consider it...

-MK

Nin10d0h
Farting Nudist
Member # 1911

Member Rated:
posted 08-27-2001 09:46 AM      Profile for Nin10d0h     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Swords Dance and Sludge bomb is good.

- - - - -
-Nin10d0h

LanderZRPG
Got a whale of a tale to tell ya, lads!
Member # 1615

Member Rated:
posted 08-27-2001 03:59 PM      Profile for LanderZRPG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jolt135:
As the saying goes, “You’re not a REAL Azurian until you do a discussion about an underused Pokemon.”

I didn't know this... I did do some stuff for Quagsire a bit back, proving how useul Amnesia is on him...

Well, I'll do one! Probably Ursaring or some such....

- - - - -
From what we've learned, it seems like you'd prefer girls dressed in ant costumes or something... -Kazuki (Regarding tl;dr)

Owner of the Power Advantage DBZ RPG
(www.poweradvantage.net)

From: High Prairie, AB, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shenlong19
unregistered

posted 08-27-2001 04:02 PM           Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
NO! USARINGS MINE!!! *grrabs usaring* BACK! BACK I SAY!!
IP: Logged
oporaca
Farting Nudist
Member # 922

Member Rated:
posted 08-27-2001 11:30 PM      Profile for oporaca     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jolt135:
As the saying goes, “You’re not a REAL Azurian until you do a discussion about an underused Pokemon.”

Gee, I feel guilty now, looking at and enjoying these underused discussions, but never doing one myself. Now I'll have to do one... maybe later. (Probably Dugtrio, Nido-something, or a Water-type)

- - - - -
I'm a closet Pokémon fan -- all evidence I like Pokémon is locked away in my closet.

Sonus
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 2053

Member Rated:
posted 08-28-2001 10:19 PM      Profile for Sonus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tentacruel
@Leftovers/Mint Berry
Surf
Ice Beam
Mirror Coat/Sludge Bomb
Rest/Mirror Coat

- - - - -
[SONUS]

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.