The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Omanyte Historical Foundation   » Lark's Haze-based team needs help

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lark's Haze-based team needs help
Lark84
My skeleton is made of creamy nougat.
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 08-18-2001 10:33 AM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This team is based on Haze. I've seen a lot of teams focusing heavily on stat-changes, like amnesia, so I always wanted to make a Haze-based team to counter them.

A team based on Haze cannot use statistic changing moves as effective as a non-haze team, since haze will remove it. And I plan to Haze a lot. So the focus is put on offensive moves.

I am still a newbie when it comes to GSC. I'm not used to attaching items, so I'd like help with what items to have on my pokémon. I'm not sure how Haze works in GSC (Does it remove C-ray and Safeguard or not?), and I'm unfamiliar with all the new moves.

Prepare to rate a newbish team in desperate need of help :-)

Gengar
-Haze, C-ray, Destiny bond, Shadow ball
I'm not sure if Haze removes C-ray and D-bond. If it does, then this moveset doesn't work.

Dragonite
Haze, Hyper Beam, T-bolt, ?
I don't know much about the new dragon moves, so I'm not sure what to put in the last slot. T-bolt to counter Water pokémon, which often carries Ice moves.

Xatu
-Haze, Drill peck, C-ray, Psychic

OR

Murkrow
-Haze, Drill Peck, Pursuit, Whirlwind

Which should I use? Murkrow or Xatu? Dark or Psychic?

Vaporeon
-Surf, I-beam, Haze, Rest
With Haze, Acid Armor/Reflect isn't that useful, so I thought that Rest could work well. ...Vap can learn Rest, right?

Quagsire
-E-quake, Haze, Safeguard, (Amnesia?)
Again, how does Haze work? Does it remove safeguard or not?
Amnesia or not for the last slot?

The sixth pokémon is a fire type. I need a fire type to deal with Ice types, which could be a threat to Dragonite, and Grass types, though Xatu's/Murkorw's Drill Peck can handle them.
However, I've never used fire types. In RBY, they were pretty useless, but in GSC, they're not. The only problem is, I don't know anything at all about them. So I'd like a suggestion for a fire type.

That's my (very incomplete) team. What do you think? Is this a good idea or not? Maybe I should just forget about this whole "haze-based team" thing?

Gloomboy
Farting Nudist
Member # 462

Member Rated:
posted 08-18-2001 10:55 AM      Profile for Gloomboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'll rate!

[bold]Gengar:[/bold] Haze won't remove D-Bond or C-Ray,but I wouldn't use Shadow Ball,since Gengar's attack sucks. Replace it with Psychic or Ice Punch instead.

[bold]Dragonite:[/bold] Ick. Hyper Beam sucks because you have to recharge. Replace that with Body Slam or Return,and put Ice Beam in the last spot,to take out ground-types that might know Rock attacks(cough Cubone cough).

Xatu has higher stats than Murkrow and is quad strong to fighting,but you don't need another flyer,since you have Draggy. Replace it with Weezing:

[bold]Weezing[/bold]

• Haze
  • Sludge Bomb
  • Fire Blast
  • Explosion

Fire Blast will destroy Steels and weaken poison-types,who are immune to Sludge Bomb's poison effects,and Explosion when you get low.

I wouldn't put two water hazers in there because someone could come in with Solar Beam and take you out,but you have some Pokemon which are resistant to grass. Anyway,replace Vaporeon with a sweeper Blastoise:

* Haze
* Earthquake
* Ice Beam
* Surf

Unfortunately,I can't think of anything to replace Quagsire with. Sorry.

- - - - -
"You forgot the part where Pikachu faints Rhydon with Thundershock..." - White Cat

"I don't care if you're lost. You show up here,you're nothing but a victim!" - Rocket Grunt under Goldenrod City

"That's what Hypnosis does; it fails horribly." - Uiru

From: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
raticata
Farting Nudist
Member # 1994

Member Rated:
posted 08-18-2001 11:07 AM      Profile for raticata     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
raaaate...

Gengar
-Haze, C-ray, Destiny bond, Shadow ball

Haze has changed in gsc pal - it removes any STAT RISES. For example, jolteon used agility! Jolteon's speed went way up! Gengar used haze! All stat changes were eliminated! (or something like that). So jolties speed will double, the use of haze will put it back to normal, thus this is a good set, and I like the use of shadowball. The two problems with this set, are that destiny bond doesn't go well with c-ray - one wants it death, other prevents it, and you are NOT using his great special attack. Thus, change c-ray or d-bond for a nice elemental attack like psychic/ice punch/t-bolt. Otherwise, fine.

Dragonite
Haze, Hyper Beam, T-bolt, ?

Good, double edge over hyper though, as someone will switch in a poke with icebeam, you HAVE to recharge, they probably ohko with a 4* effective attack. T-wave is a good move to have, as are surf/fireblast/icebeam/wing attack.

Xatu
-Haze, Drill peck, C-ray, Psychic

Fine set, give it a sharp beak.

OR

Murkrow
-Haze, Drill Peck, Pursuit, Whirlwind

OMG forgot murky can learn pursuit! Here, I would lose haze/whirlwind, one of them, for a decent attack, as both are there to prevent stat upping. Actually, no - rest will keep it alive longer, or mean look to trap someone who will be dicombobulated with drill peck/pursuit.

"Which should I use? Murkrow or Xatu? Dark or Psychic?"

Really isn't much difference - both are good pokes. However, murky only has 3 weaknesses, while xatu has the same ones, plus ghost/dark aswell. Murky is more offensive, xatu defensive.

Vaporeon
-Surf, I-beam, Haze, Rest

It can but sub is a lot better. You certainly don't need this amounts of haze though, this really is ruining your team - two is enough. Sub and baton pass are nice, so is reflect/sub.

Quagsire
-E-quake, Haze, Safeguard, (Amnesia?)

Good, yes to amnesia. The only probs come from grasses, who aren't that popular anyway, and it is a genuinely useful move. This set, IMO, gets the best out of quaggy.

As for the last poke, a decent fire poke IMo is ninetales, though magmar,chari,typho etc are all good. Arcanine is probably the most popular though.

I liked this team, but I didn't like haze on every pokemon. Two at max, decide which ones are best to have it - IMO, the ones that will last the longest.

- - - - -
A legendary is only legendary if it has a legendary set.

Turbo X
Farting Nudist
Member # 1808

posted 08-18-2001 01:08 PM      Profile for Turbo X     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For the fire poke, DON'T use Charizard!! This team is weak enough to electric already. Quag probably won't help that much against it, because there is usually more than one poke that carries T-Bolt. Skarmory works well with the Whirlwind/pseudo-hazing thing..plus he has enough Def to hold up. But Skar just adds another flyer to the list, adding another weakness to Electric.
I wouldn't worry too much about seeing an Ice type really, the only one you'd see would be Jynx or maybe a Lapras. A Fire type would take care of Grasses, but your flyers could also do that. So you might not need a Fire type at all.
Not many people use Haze, they just use a Whirlwinder. What would really suck is if you put in a Curselax as your last poke. They can't Whirlwind Lax away if he's the last one, so he's free to Curse up without too much worry.

- - - - -
I mean, goldfish lamp wallpaper skeleton in my Bavarian Star or what? Flowers mirror computer Smurfs every time Moses flies playing cards in or around Paris.

From: N-town, PA, U.S. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lark84
My skeleton is made of creamy nougat.
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 08-19-2001 03:43 AM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The main idea behind having two waters, were that one should function as a water/ice pokémon (Vap), another as a ground attacker (Quagsire), since I've been told that Quagsire's Spc. Atk. really sucks, I threw in Vap to use water attacks.

Should I cut down on the haze pokés? I thought it might be good to have haze on almost everyone, so you don't need to switch if your opponent is powering up. For example, if his mewtwo uses amnesia, and the only hazer left is Weezing... Well... I don't think it would work very well.

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.