The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Omanyte Historical Foundation   » Hey...... This could work for Gyarados.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hey...... This could work for Gyarados.
Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 08-07-2001 07:36 PM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hidden Power has a use.

Gyarados

Surf
Flying Power
Flail/Reflect
Icy Wind

First of all, Gyarados' Flying Power outpowers Dragonite and Zapdos' Wing Attack and Drill Peck and very nearly beats Dodrio's Drill Peck (the second strongest Flying attack in the game). Gyarados got a massive SA cut but its AT is still huge- why not make use of it? Flail is a gamble, but any non-Electric type that's gonna try to take on Gyarados will find itself smacked around hard. It'd be good for sweeping, too. However, Reflect aids with the Physical defence, which is important these days.

And as for Icy Wind, it can drop even an Electrode to second turn in one hit. This could pair up with Flail nicely. (You could even put Endure over Surf if you felt like being really mean.)

Its Speed and Defence are fair (and bolstered by Reflect and Icy Wind), its Health is huge and its Special Defence remains high. Only problem with Flying Power is that it puts Gyarados at an automatic -6 AT, -4 DF and -16 HP, if it's lucky. The best stats for a 70 Flying Power are 7/12/13/15/15.
~Uiru

- - - - -
TIDUDSOFIEIHUGHEXXXC: "maybe he will let you touch his blow up do"

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

From: the floating castle of Newfoundland | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
JoHtO TrAiNeR
Farting Nudist
Member # 1777

Member Rated:
posted 08-07-2001 07:50 PM      Profile for JoHtO TrAiNeR   Author's Homepage   Email JoHtO TrAiNeR   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Heh...just had to drop by and say that Drill Peck, I believe is the 3rd strongest Flying attack, next to Aeroblast and Sky Attack. Okay, yeah maybe only one pokemon has Aeroblast so maybe it doesn't count. Oh yeah, by the way good moveset, although I'm no Gyarados expert...

- - - - -
"Man is born free...and everywhere he is in chains."
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Quote relates to the "wage-slave cycle" which most of you are in.

From: St. Paul, MN,USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 08-07-2001 08:15 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lugia is a cheating whore!
Atma
Farting Nudist
Member # 689

Member Rated:
posted 08-07-2001 08:30 PM      Profile for Atma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
(1) HP Flying on Gyarados is not stronger than HP Flying on Draggy (which I used to use, until I replaced it with DE, which is even stronger than HP Flying)
(2) With the *4 Electirc weakness, you DEFINITELY want Endure, or else Gyarados won't be around to Flail at anything.
(3) If you normally shark max DVs, sharking max Flying HP will still be better than most people that breed for DVs (like me). If you breed for DVs, you should be able to gte DVs nearly as good as other DV breeders.
(4) Between two turns and imperfect accuracy, Sky Attack has lower average damage than HP Flying.
(5) When can we expect more fanfics? Fire Strike series and Pokemon Academy were excellent.

- - - - -
"My name is Atma...
I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.
Forgotten in the river of time...
I've had an eternity to ponder the meaning of things...
And now I have an answer..."

From: Cinnabar Isle, Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Gloomboy
Farting Nudist
Member # 462

Member Rated:
posted 08-07-2001 10:24 PM      Profile for Gloomboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
W00t! Uiru is god!

I also find Hotaru to be cute(and my fave Outer Senshi) and I read your Pokemon Fire Strike series,it really rocked,especially with all the giant Pokemon and special new attacks. UIRU RULES!

- - - - -
"You forgot the part where Pikachu faints Rhydon with Thundershock..." - White Cat

"I don't care if you're lost. You show up here,you're nothing but a victim!" - Rocket Grunt under Goldenrod City

"That's what Hypnosis does; it fails horribly." - Uiru

From: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
StealthNinjaScyther
Farting Nudist
Member # 1833

Member Rated:
posted 08-08-2001 02:21 AM      Profile for StealthNinjaScyther   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If my memory serves correctly using Endure against an electric would be suicide since Endure will not work properly if the opponent is faster. And since all or most(I can't remember) electrics are faster than Gyarados Endure would not help. It would go something along the lines of this:

Trainer1 sends out Gyarados
Trainer2 sends out Jolteon

Gyarados uses Endure since Endure goes first(duh)
Jolteon uses Thunderbolt

Gyarados survives with 1 HP
Jolteon uses Thunderbolt, KOs Gyarados

Using Endure will make you move first but since Jolteon is faster it will get two moves in a row. At least that's what I was told would happen, I've never tested it for myself, but it seems logical.

- - - - -
[blank]

From: Auburn, WA, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tghost
Farting Nudist
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
posted 08-08-2001 02:27 AM      Profile for Tghost   Author's Homepage   Email Tghost   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What kind of idiot would leave a Gyarados at 1 HP out in front of a Jolteon? If they do that, they deserve to be KO'd.

Anyway, you'd switch, of course, and have one Gyarados ready and willing to hit the opposition with Flail, all you'd need to do is know who Gyarados is faster than, switch in after a KO, and be mighty sure you'll get Flail to KO (a nice idea would be to construct a list of damages, witrh the knowledge Flail always gets a random number of 255/255 in the damage formula, you good work out which Pokemon Gyarados is a) faster than and b) what percentages of HP they would have to have to be OHKO'd) then, you have a weapon worth using.

- - - - -
My brain went on vacation and left my pancreas in charge

From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 08-08-2001 06:42 AM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Praise!

Drill Peck is the second-strongest Flying attack, yeah, but Zapdos' Drill Peck is still outpowered by Gyarados' Flying Power. Sky Attack has an average damage equal to that of a 70 Flying Power, but it's less accurate and harder to use.

*sigh* Yes, Dragonite's Flying Power is stronger than Gyarados'. But why go through all that trouble when Wing Attack still works out?

Never thought I'd have to talk about Fire Strike here. ^_^ I'm hard at work on the first rewrite. Bug me again at the end of the month; I might be done by then.

Hotaru wa kawaii!! Hee hee! Ami is cute too...

As for Gyarados Flailing on a Jolteon, if Jolteon switches into an Icy Wind, Gyarados will get the Speed advantage. However, without STAB, Flail will still only do 228~270 damage to Jolteon, so make sure you've weakened it first. (One Icy Wind won't be enough.)

Flail always hits at max power? Does that go for Reversal too? In that case, Flail does 270 damage.
~Uiru

- - - - -

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

Mentar the Malady Monkey
worst username ever
Member # 1182

Member Rated:
posted 08-08-2001 09:44 AM      Profile for Mentar the Malady Monkey   Email Mentar the Malady Monkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For Icy Wind... can't he get Thunderwave instead? Wouldn't that work just as well?

Slap me if he can't learn Thunderwave.

- - - - -
WHAT.

From: Pandemonium, HL, Hades | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
LanderZRPG
Got a whale of a tale to tell ya, lads!
Member # 1615

Member Rated:
posted 08-08-2001 09:56 AM      Profile for LanderZRPG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mentar the Malady Monkey:
For Icy Wind... can't he get Thunderwave instead? Wouldn't that work just as well?

Slap me if he can't learn Thunderwave.

::LanderZ slaps Mentar::

- - - - -
From what we've learned, it seems like you'd prefer girls dressed in ant costumes or something... -Kazuki (Regarding tl;dr)

Owner of the Power Advantage DBZ RPG
(www.poweradvantage.net)

From: High Prairie, AB, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Atma
Farting Nudist
Member # 689

Member Rated:
posted 08-08-2001 03:28 PM      Profile for Atma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by StealthNinjaScyther:
If my memory serves correctly using Endure against an electric would be suicide since Endure will not work properly if the opponent is faster.

Ther endure works fine (it automatically goes first), but next turn, Gyarados is at 1 HP and facing a faster pokemon....

*makes room in the Pokecenter for a Gyarados*

- - - - -
"My name is Atma...
I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.
Forgotten in the river of time...
I've had an eternity to ponder the meaning of things...
And now I have an answer..."

From: Cinnabar Isle, Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
raticata
Farting Nudist
Member # 1994

Member Rated:
posted 08-08-2001 03:42 PM      Profile for raticata     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
well at least using gyarados is now feasible - though flail is dodgy, there is usually one electric attack at max per team so as long as the electric has been silenced old gyara can work its magic. IMO a good physical attack like return/body slam/d.edge would work well over flail.

I like the idea of icy wind. It could work well for piloswine also, even getting a little bit of stab.

Also, why not try fireblast ? If maro and 'lax can use it there is no reason why gyara can't, and what poor forret/scizor/parasect would expect it ??

Anyway, good work, maybe one day every single poke will be ok to use.

- - - - -
A legendary is only legendary if it has a legendary set.

SDShamshel
Farting Nudist
Member # 791

Member Rated:
posted 08-08-2001 11:49 PM      Profile for SDShamshel   Email SDShamshel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Meh. I'd like to put Sub over something. Maybe Icy Wind. Sub on the switch, attack hard, then get the hell out of there.

Eventually, you can do a Sub/Flail thing so that your HP is reduced, and you're still behind a sub.

- - - - -
Pretty de Cure Cure
Futari wa Precure

StealthNinjaScyther
Farting Nudist
Member # 1833

Member Rated:
posted 08-09-2001 01:22 AM      Profile for StealthNinjaScyther   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's what I did, Substitute can work well on Gyarados. Since I have a strange habit of giving decent movesets to all my shiny Pokemon I gave my shiny Gyarados, Raging Red, this set:

Gyarados(Mint Berry)
Double Edge
Surf
Substitute
Rest

It's not really all that good, but it's Gyarados. I wish that Gyarados had a good special attack rather than attack because then it would be so much more useful.

Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 08-09-2001 08:36 AM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Heh heh...

Flamethrower (Fire Blast hates me ~_~)
Flying Power
Icy Wind
Reflect

Not bad, not bad... Kinda weird for a Water type, doing what Moltres and Dragonite do, but eh.
~Uiru

- - - - -

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

raticata
Farting Nudist
Member # 1994

Member Rated:
posted 08-09-2001 03:35 PM      Profile for raticata     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ah that looks very good, completely unexpected, have you tried it on gsbot yet??

- - - - -
A legendary is only legendary if it has a legendary set.

StealthNinjaScyther
Farting Nudist
Member # 1833

Member Rated:
posted 08-10-2001 12:08 AM      Profile for StealthNinjaScyther   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Eventually, you can do a Sub/Flail thing so that your HP is reduced, and you're still behind a sub.

A Substitue/Flail or Reversal could actually work quite well. However you won't have much luck with that combo on Gyarados as it's not possible. Only Magikarp learns Flail and Magikarp cannot learn the Substitue TM. Might be a worthwhile Substitute/Reversal set for Kangaskhan though.

- - - - -
[blank]

SDShamshel
Farting Nudist
Member # 791

Member Rated:
posted 08-10-2001 12:26 AM      Profile for SDShamshel   Email SDShamshel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Move deleter.

Delete flail, trade to RBY, make into Gyarados, give sub, trade back, battle through Gym Leader Tower, get Flail back.

- - - - -
Pretty de Cure Cure
Futari wa Precure

StealthNinjaScyther
Farting Nudist
Member # 1833

Member Rated:
posted 08-10-2001 12:34 AM      Profile for StealthNinjaScyther   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From what I've heard you can only relearn moves that the Pokemon learns through level-up, and Gyarados doesn't learn Flail through level-up, only Magikarp. So I don't think that would work.

It seems that only Seaking can have a Substitue/Flail combo and Kangaskhan and Hitmonlee are the only ones that can get a Substitute/Reversal combo, that is unless I overlooked someone.

- - - - -
[blank]

Random Loser
Farting Nudist
Member # 1538

Member Rated:
posted 08-10-2001 02:45 AM      Profile for Random Loser   Email Random Loser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, he's right, no Sub/Flail combo on 'Dos.
From: Uni of Virginny | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 08-10-2001 05:10 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think I understand the appeal of a Sub+Flail combo...

- - - - -
"Anybody gone into Whole Foods lately and see what they charge for arugula?"
-- Barack Obama, campaigning in Iowa

SDShamshel
Farting Nudist
Member # 791

Member Rated:
posted 08-10-2001 10:18 AM      Profile for SDShamshel   Email SDShamshel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The appeal of a sub/flail or reversal combo is that You can blatantly waste your own Hit Points to power up the attack. If you time it correctly, you can have a sub up, and be at anywhere from 1% health to 25% health.

[ 08-10-2001: Message edited by: SDShamshel ]

- - - - -
Pretty de Cure Cure
Futari wa Precure

Random Loser
Farting Nudist
Member # 1538

Member Rated:
posted 08-10-2001 01:01 PM      Profile for Random Loser   Email Random Loser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Of course, unless you get below 10% it would be better just to use Return. I think you'd be better off just consistantly using a powerful attack than blatantly wasting your own Hit Points....
From: Uni of Virginny | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
SDShamshel
Farting Nudist
Member # 791

Member Rated:
posted 08-10-2001 02:40 PM      Profile for SDShamshel   Email SDShamshel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's why on Kangaskhan, you give it Double-Edge and Substitute.

Waste your own HP with Substitute, then waste more HP WHILE using a Powerful attack.

- - - - -
Pretty de Cure Cure
Futari wa Precure

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.