The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Omanyte Historical Foundation   » It's been a long time coming...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: It's been a long time coming...
starCaliber
is evil and also MewtwoSama
Member # 268

Member Rated:
posted 08-06-2001 10:36 AM      Profile for starCaliber   Email starCaliber   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I know it's riddled with standards, but this is my first motherfucking GS team! I promise, I'll do better later.

JOLTEON (F) @Leftovers
~ Thunder Wave
~ Thunderbolt
~ Substitute
~ Attract

GOLEM (M) @Leftovers
~ Earthquake
~ Rock Slide
~ Substitute
~ Explosion

SUICUNE @Leftovers
~ Mirror Coat
~ Surf
~ Roar
~ Rest

MILTANK (F) @Leftovers
~ Heal Bell
~ Milk Drink
~ Attract
~ Body Slam

CHARIZARD (M) @Mint Berry
~ Belly Drum
~ Wing Attack
~ Fire Blast
~ Rest

MACHAMP (M) @Leftovers
~ Cross Chop
~ Earthquake
~ Rock Slide
~ Counter

Huge thanks to LS for helping me out. I know the team could still use a world of change (Fanha thinks I should drop Belly Drum/Rest on Charizard for Swords Dance), and I intend to tweak it. It really hurts me to have to stick Miltank on there, but Heal Bell was too tempting to pass up. I'm actually still looking for a way to make Furret semi-workable, but probably not on a serious team. He can dominate on Sucky Cup.

I was glad to find out that some of my favorite old-schoolers (Charizard, Jolteon, and Machamp) were not only in full working order this time around, but had actually gotten better! I drew up some rough sets for Misdreavus and Gengar, but they're probably crap. I'll look over them again, show 'em to an expert, and maybe post them later.

On the down side, I still suck at remembering type advantages.

[ 08-06-2001: Message edited by: StarCaliber ]

From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jman
Farting Nudist
Member # 618

Member Rated:
posted 08-06-2001 10:56 AM      Profile for Jman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yay!

Jolteon
Standard. I hate this guy(girl actually).

Golem
Preatty. You might wanna try item of Pink Bow for some more Normal-type Explosion fun.

Suicune
Yep.

Miltank
I hate the cow. Other Heal Bellers: Granbull, Celebi...maybe someone else, I forget...

Charizard
I would take Swords Dance instead of Belly Drum like Fanny suggested. Uh... Flamethrower possibly over Fire Blast.

Machamp
Uh-huh.

Righty, well, mostly standards, but good team. Furret kicks ass, you could have a Baton Passer help him out as your starter for that team.

*new siggy*
Edit 1: New sig wasn't there
Edit 2: Jolteon is a girl. Yep.

[ 08-06-2001: Message edited by: Jman ]

[ 08-06-2001: Message edited by: Jman ]

- - - - -
lol pokemon

Automaton
Farting Nudist
Member # 1234

Member Rated:
posted 08-06-2001 12:29 PM      Profile for Automaton   Author's Homepage   Email Automaton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Okay, let this sink in for a minute...

StarCaliber

GSC Team

StarCaliber

GSC Team

StarCaliber

GSC Team

Damn, I'm still not fully comprehending it...

JOLTEON (F) @Leftovers
~ Thunder Wave
~ Thunderbolt
~ Substitute
~ Attract

Vinegar and honey.

GOLEM (M) @Leftovers
~ Earthquake
~ Rock Slide
~ Substitute
~ Explosion

Hmm, decent.

SUICUNE @Leftovers
~ Mirror Coat
~ Surf
~ Roar
~ Rest

Aside from the occaisional Curse version, this is about as good as Suicune gets. Good work captain.

MILTANK (F) @Leftovers
~ Heal Bell
~ Milk Drink
~ Attract
~ Body Slam

I like Present on there. She can two shot Tyranitars and the like if she's lucky.

~ Belly Drum
~ Wing Attack
~ Fire Blast
~ Rest

Interesting. Good thing Aerodactyl isn't all that common now, because he would buttfuck this poor little guy. I would consider his frailty, but with skillfull typeplay, he should be alright.

MACHAMP (M) @Leftovers
~ Cross Chop
~ Earthquake
~ Rock Slide
~ Counter

There is no Machamp that is not Standard. To use him is to accept that fact. Good.

Type wise, there's a double ground/double fight weakness, and Charizard would only be good on the switch in vs an earthquake, to later either switch to Golem or Machamp to eat the oncoming Rock Slide/Ancientpower. Suicune is definitely a decent alternative to the other common Water types. I would consider a Psychic type to further counter your fight weakness. I'm partial to Barrier Kazam, but that's just me.

starCaliber
is evil and also MewtwoSama
Member # 268

Member Rated:
posted 08-06-2001 02:02 PM      Profile for starCaliber   Email starCaliber   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jman (on Golem): Preatty. You might wanna try item of Pink Bow for some more Normal-type Explosion fun.

Yeah, I'd been thinking about that too (at least since I found out what Pink Bow did ). But I've noticed that for the most part, Golem's explosions are really trashing the phoney-baloneys he goes up against. I heard that Explosion's base was axed down a little bit, but it doesn't seem to be fazing me...yet. Even if I did need the extra blast power tho, Leftovers has been helping him a lot. And if Leftovers is giving me enough steam to get in an extra EQ or two, I'll stick with it.

After some experience using this Golem, I think I'll probably kick out Sub for Roar. I was talking to Ian Garvey, and he brought it up, so I thought, "Boy, it would sure be nice to send the water types away and bring out the Zapdos." Not to mention, the set I posted for Golem was just a port of my RBY set.

Furret kicks ass, you could have a Baton Passer help him out as your starter for that team.

Yeah, I was considering that, but the logistics are way off. I'd pretty much have to tear a 2-member hole in this team to squeeze in a below-average Normal type. Furret's gonna have to stick to Sucky Cup.

Automaton: Okay, let this sink in for a minute...

Damn, I'm still not fully comprehending it...

Yeah, you're not the only confused one here...

(On Suicune): Aside from the occaisional Curse version, this is about as good as Suicune gets.

Eh, it's a tough thing to decide. I really like Suicune, and I'm all about keeping as many GS-exclusives in the lineup as I can friggin' figure out how to use, but he's quite limited. His only real trick is Mirror Coat, and people are gonna catch that. He's nothing special with Surf, others can Roar, and Rest usually just gets him in recover loops. (All this coming from my half-ass limited GSBot experience this morning.)

Ian Garvey suggested that I try an Exeggutor, but I've used it for oh so long, it'd be nice if there could be something better to fill the void. He says that Eggy plays less like a tank this time around, but I wouldn't know. Is such true?

Also considering trying to work a Gengar into the team somehow, but I'm totally clueless where he'd fit. I don't see him taking the Suicune spot too efficiently.

(On Charizard): Interesting. Good thing Aerodactyl isn't all that common now, because he would buttfuck this poor little guy. I would consider his frailty, but with skillfull typeplay, he should be alright.

Eh, that Charizard set is getting crapped on. Fanny suggested that I play it more aggressively, rather than try to hold back with Rest. And as Annon was warning me about, Charizard isn't taking the Belly Drumming well at all. Probably gonna push a new set of...

~ Swords Dance
~ Earthquake
~ Rock Slide
~ Fire Blast

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted heavily with Sunny Day, but I've gotta face the music - Charizard will die, and he needs to push through as much damage as he can. Rock Slide over Wing Attack is a tough call to make, but with all these goddamned flying thingies around, I don't think you can ever have too much Rock Slide.

There is no Machamp that is not Standard. To use him is to accept that fact. Good.

Yeah, I actually didn't pick Machamp for my team with the intention of using a standard Pokemon. I picked him because Fish got me hooked on the thing for Sucky Cup back in Summer2K, and it sorta gets regarded as "the badass Pokemon." When I found out that it was workable in G/S, I stuck it on right away. Considering dropping him for the sake of being different, but we'll see.

I'll try Present on Miltank; I actually need to try a lot of things on it. I'm thinking @Pink Bow would help it out, right? It's got Milk Drink for it's recovery needs (soothing the blow of losing Leftovers a bit) and I always feel like her Body Slam would be really lethal if it just had a little more oomph to it.

Also gonna mess around with Forretress, Raikou, and Entei.

This game isn't so bad after all.

From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Zerot
I pay schoolgirls to verbally abuse me.
Member # 1295

Member Rated:
posted 08-06-2001 03:53 PM      Profile for Zerot   Author's Homepage   Email Zerot   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is a big ol surprise... I thought he hated pokemon. I'll rate on this speeecial occasion.

JOLTEON (F) @Leftovers
~ Thunder Wave
~ Thunderbolt
~ Substitute
~ Attract

There is a reason it is standard, ya know.

GOLEM (M) @Leftovers
~ Earthquake
~ Rock Slide
~ Substitute
~ Explosion

You don't see many of these. Pink Bow would be nice, for Explosion.

SUICUNE @Leftovers
~ Mirror Coat
~ Surf
~ Roar
~ Rest

Good, but Coat is very predictable.

MILTANK (F) @Leftovers
~ Heal Bell
~ Milk Drink
~ Attract
~ Body Slam

Good. No problems. However, If you play against many people that use Missy or Gengar Earthquake may be better.

~ Belly Drum
~ Wing Attack
~ Fire Blast
~ Rest

... i never liked this guy at all. Alright, I guess...

MACHAMP (M) @Leftovers
~ Cross Chop
~ Earthquake
~ Rock Slide
~ Counter

Great.

For a first team it is pretty good.

From: Lizton, Indiana | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Haste2
Farting Nudist
Member # 518

Member Rated:
posted 08-06-2001 06:06 PM      Profile for Haste2   Author's Homepage   Email Haste2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Automaton:

I like Present on there. She can two shot Tyranitars and the like if she's lucky.

Hehe, I'm just happy that in Crystal, Present will no longer be bugged, which means Present will become next to useless now!

[ 08-06-2001: Message edited by: Haste2 ]

- - - - -
Haste2, the person wih the contradictory name!

Evil Espeon
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 1782

Rate Member
posted 08-06-2001 07:56 PM      Profile for Evil Espeon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Slap Counter on Golem, preferably over Substitute. You have NO idea how bad this screws Machamp/Snorlax/EQ fags.

Besides, you'll end up predicting a EQ or RS on the switch anyway. At least that's what I do. And don't bother with Pink Bow. Leftovers is infinitly more useful.

The only viable BellyZard I've seen is Earthquake/RS/Belly Drum/Rest @Mintberry. I'd go for something fresh and unusual like Flamethrower/Rock Slide/Counter/Rest. Strange but it could work. Rock Slide for hitting Zappy on the switch (Jolteon will still take considerable damage and is COMPLETELY screwed over by Golem) and Flamethrower for overall fun. Counter for DE/Frustration/Body Slam EQ users. Not for countering Rock Slides even though, IIRC, Zard survives a RS from Machamp almost 75% of the time.

And you might want to trash EQ or RS on Machamp for Rest seeing as how Machamp almost NEEDS it.

Yeah, um... goodbye.

- - - - -
"Hi, I like shorts. They're comfy and easy to wear."
~Random Youngster in R/B/Y

SDShamshel
Farting Nudist
Member # 791

Member Rated:
posted 08-06-2001 07:56 PM      Profile for SDShamshel   Email SDShamshel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Um...Explosion's base was INCREASED.

- - - - -
Pretty de Cure Cure
Futari wa Precure

maagisk
Farting Nudist
Member # 536

Member Rated:
posted 08-06-2001 10:15 PM      Profile for maagisk   Author's Homepage   Email maagisk   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It pretty much all works, it's pretty standard, except for the counter-machamp which won't work. But a pretty good first team.

Wait a min.... SC? I thought you said you didn't play anymoe? What made you change your mind.

- - - - -
-

From: Dramen, Norway | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jumpman16
Farting Nudist
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
posted 08-06-2001 10:21 PM      Profile for Jumpman16   Author's Homepage   Email Jumpman16   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
SC: I was talking to Ian Garvey...
What the fuck?

Anyway...ummm...Eggy's SD went down 120 points to 228, or so I hear. No more tank...

- - - - -
A pile of dead Jews was hysterical because this one Jew was being so annoying, and because it made him whine so entertainingly.
—Our beloved Toby, on why anti-semitism is funny

From: Where they make Heinz® ketchup | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 08-06-2001 10:30 PM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How high would Exeggutor's SD have to be before you WOULD leave it in against a Fire, Ice or Dark type? Sheesh... I don't understand people.

I hear the entire metagame is physical nowadays. Counter, therefore, is good. As is plenty of Reflect. Maybe you could use both. Who knows. Heh heh.

And I've seen Explosion do 500 base damage SEVERAL times on Stadium GS. That sucker got cranked. Use it.
~Uiru

- - - - -
TIDUDSOFIEIHUGHEXXXC: "maybe he will let you touch his blow up do"

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

From: the floating castle of Newfoundland | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
DragoniteJ
Farting Nudist
Member # 815

Member Rated:
posted 08-07-2001 01:00 PM      Profile for DragoniteJ   Author's Homepage   Email DragoniteJ   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Glad to see you finally got into GS. Let's see what we have here...

JOLTEON (F) @Leftovers
~ Thunder Wave
~ Thunderbolt
~ Substitute
~ Attract

Works fine. Keep Suicune to counter any ground types that may switch in. Another idea that's similar to Eggy is Jumpluff. I like Giga Drain/Leech Seed/Sleep Powder/Encore. You Encore their quake and then Leech and Sleep whatever switches in. This works even better with spikes down.

GOLEM (M) @Leftovers
~ Earthquake
~ Rock Slide
~ Substitute
~ Explosion

Although another Roar would really help against Missy, I think Counter over sub would be more useful in the long run.

SUICUNE @Leftovers
~ Mirror Coat
~ Surf
~ Roar
~ Rest

You could try Ice Beam over Mirror Coat if people start predicting it.

MILTANK (F) @Leftovers
~ Heal Bell
~ Milk Drink
~ Attract
~ Body Slam

Present or Frustration also work over Body Slam. You might want Psych Up on there if you don't give Roar to Golem just incase some Curselax or something manages to tank up.

~ Belly Drum
~ Wing Attack
~ Fire Blast
~ Rest

As silly as it sounds, sub might actually do some good on this. Maybe Flamethrower/Earthquake/Swords Dance/Sub with Leftovers? I've never tried it, but it might actually work.

MACHAMP (M) @Leftovers
~ Cross Chop
~ Earthquake
~ Rock Slide
~ Counter

I've never found Earthquake to be that useful on this guy. Restberry or Light Screen to back up Counter would probably both be more useful.

Watch out for Missy. If you're not prepared, one can actually down half your team easily. Roar on Golem would also help counter the Jolteon/Marowak combo, so you might want to use that. Good luck.

- - - - -
"All because of your no-good, dirty, rotten, pig-stealing grandfather!" - Just when we thought the Disney Channel's writers couldn't get any worse...

Automaton
Farting Nudist
Member # 1234

Member Rated:
posted 08-07-2001 11:30 PM      Profile for Automaton   Author's Homepage   Email Automaton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I like to break Suicune down like this: It can Mirror Coat, and it can Curse, and it can Psych Up. And that's about it. Surf/Ice Beam doesn't give it enough power to punch through. Mirror coat and curse together on the same set gives your opponent two options: Die, or, well, die. Which puts you at;

Mirror Coat
Curse
Rest
Return
@Mint Berry

I honestly think it's worth a try. Even the most defensive Pokemon needs a solid kill mechanism, or you and your opponent end up dancing the Healing Waltz.

Random Loser
Farting Nudist
Member # 1538

Member Rated:
posted 08-07-2001 11:48 PM      Profile for Random Loser   Email Random Loser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Auto, I like that set too.
From: Uni of Virginny | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Automaton
Farting Nudist
Member # 1234

Member Rated:
posted 08-07-2001 11:57 PM      Profile for Automaton   Author's Homepage   Email Automaton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cool, I thought of that exact set to try for the MFST and later Sneak3, but I chickened out. At around that same time, Ian Garvey was trying out a version with Roar over Mirror Coat, and he gave it glowing praise, despite his maintaining how much he hates Suicune in general.

I think the Metagame changes brought via Crystal might make a niche for the set. Only time will tell.

[ 08-08-2001: Message edited by: Automaton ]

gruco
I am Ian Garvey's lovechild.
Member # 1645

Member Rated:
posted 08-08-2001 07:22 PM      Profile for gruco        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well...This was certainly unexpected.

Nice to see though. I'll give you my advice though much of it has already been said before.

Consider Counter over Sub on Golem. In the long run, it'll probably be more useful than sacrificing 1/4 health in order to know what attack to use.

I really like Psych Up on Suicune. That also kinda requires Return though, which means getting rid of Surf and either rest of MC. *shrug*

For 'Zard, I really don't think that BD is a bad idea, but I think you're better off just going on a killing spree until fainting than resting afterwards. It should definately have either Quake or RS IMO, whether you decide to go with this of with SD.

Overall, looks nice. I don't see any major concerns.

GP-Chan
Farting Nudist
Member # 1848

Member Rated:
posted 08-12-2001 06:39 PM      Profile for GP-Chan   Email GP-Chan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I kinda like Scope Lens Golem. VERY fun. Not to mention Counter over Sub. Not much use for Sub. They go to water, you go to Suicune. I have killed about 15 Machamps in total from Countering Quakes/CCs. ^_^

- - - - -
yes, i know i suck.

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.