The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Omanyte Historical Foundation   » Is there any hope for Mantine?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is there any hope for Mantine?
Velox
Farting Nudist
Member # 913

Member Rated:
posted 08-05-2001 06:30 PM      Profile for Velox   Author's Homepage   Email Velox   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sure his Attack is shitty (hell, it would need a Curse to get to shitty). Sure, he folds like a card table at the first sign of Thunder. Sure, he looks like he's about to throw up. But does anyone have any movesets for him? I've been working on a Beast Wars-themed team, and I could use a Depth Charge. Or at least a DEPTHCHARJ.

Seems to me that once the standard Jolteon has been dispatched, Mantine could be a pain with Curse. What about Hydro Pump / Wing Attack / Rest / Curse?

[ 08-05-2001: Message edited by: Velox ]

- - - - -
-Mysterious Priest Velox

From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
PikachuThunder
Farting Nudist
Member # 22

Member Rated:
posted 08-05-2001 06:45 PM      Profile for PikachuThunder        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow... I was just thinking about a Curse-based Mantine moveset...

I don't have any advice to offer... except that you'd need to use at least two Curses to make Wing Attack worthwhile.

EDIT: It just occurred to me... if you managed to get some DTs Baton Passed to this thing, you could have quite the well-defended monster.

[ 08-05-2001: Message edited by: PikachuThunder ]

Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 08-05-2001 08:04 PM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mantine would need two Curses to OHKO a Heracross, and even then, it's a bare pass. However, with BP'd Double Teams and Confuse Ray adding to the poor sucker's problems, you'd probably have time to Curse the three or four times you'd need to just to make Wing Attack feasable.

However, I still think its Health is crap, and any old Electric attack carrier will take Mantine down. Especially the RD+Thunder ones.
~Uiru

- - - - -
TIDUDSOFIEIHUGHEXXXC: "maybe he will let you touch his blow up do"

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

From: the floating castle of Newfoundland | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Velox
Farting Nudist
Member # 913

Member Rated:
posted 08-05-2001 10:00 PM      Profile for Velox   Author's Homepage   Email Velox   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thunder? Peh. Uiru, look over some recent teams, then try to name some Pokémon on which Thunder is still popular. =P

People are too busy loading their Pokémon up with Fire Blast in anticipation of Skarmory...

- - - - -
-Mysterious Priest Velox

From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 08-05-2001 11:08 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just out of curiosity, why are so many people gaga over Skarmory? Is there something incredible about it I just haven't figured out yet? I haven't caught/raised one, so, if there's something I should know, please enlighten me.

-MK

P.S. RainDance + Thunder still exists!

MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 08-05-2001 11:34 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
*Note, I would recommend NOT using a Mantine, but, if you must, instead of using Wing Attack, try to breed for a Hidden Power of Type Flying Base Power 70.*

-MK

buddy_champ
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 1248

Member Rated:
posted 08-05-2001 11:39 PM      Profile for buddy_champ   Email buddy_champ   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mantine@Left0vers
>> Surf
>> ConfuseRay
>> IceBeam/Haze
>> Rest

Why not try something like that???Attract is also an option...

- - - - -
1) Talking like Tony Danza with a mouthful of a powerful local anesthetic does not make you seem cool, or stylish.

2) Using the above "dialect" whilst simultaneously talking out your ass makes you look even stupider.
~ Automaton

SDShamshel
Farting Nudist
Member # 791

Member Rated:
posted 08-05-2001 11:43 PM      Profile for SDShamshel   Email SDShamshel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Skarmory, currently, is one of the best counters in the metagame.

Often times, when people created movesets when G/S first came out, they neglected the fact that Skarmory could screw over their moveset/team. Their counterargument was "No one would use Skarmory! It's slow, and weak to electric and fire, two common elements!"

Well guess what, people started using Skarmory.

The other advantage of Skarmory is that it does not have a single physical weakness. Couple that with high defense, and it can whirlwind away most physical attackers, especially threatening to those who require setup, i.e. Curselax.

- - - - -
Pretty de Cure Cure
Futari wa Precure

Random Loser
Farting Nudist
Member # 1538

Member Rated:
posted 08-06-2001 01:37 AM      Profile for Random Loser   Email Random Loser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mantine movesets.. neither of which work very well, I actually tried him out at one point.

Curser - Curse, Return, Wing Attack, Rest
*MK: Flying Power is usually scratched b/c it cuts your HP DV in half, but either way.

Hazer - C-Ray, Haze, Ice Beam, Surf

He does have a high specDef, so the curser looks like it would work, though I never got much out of it. Also, besides the T-Bolt auto-death, WAT/FLY's only other weakness is rock. Your welcome to give the thing a try...

From: Uni of Virginny | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
StealthNinjaScyther
Farting Nudist
Member # 1833

Member Rated:
posted 08-06-2001 01:52 AM      Profile for StealthNinjaScyther   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey! A Beast Wars fan! It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who thinks that transformers are cool.

Onto Mantine. I once considered a Curse setup as well, but honestly, does sacrificing it's decent speed just to give decent power to a move that is already weak as it is really worth it. Plus once you start cursing up the opponent is probably going to switch in an electric type or something that has an electric move, and then of course you're forced to switch or die. The Hazer set seems to be Mantine's best option. As far as I'm concerned the best reason to use Mantine is because it looks cool.

- - - - -
[blank]

From: Auburn, WA, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jolt135
Farting Nudist
Member # 1974

Member Rated:
posted 08-06-2001 09:08 AM      Profile for Jolt135   Author's Homepage   Email Jolt135   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You're worried about Thunder?
Except for Mewtwo, no non-Electric OHKOs Mantine with that move, and the only Electrics that ever use Thunder on a good set are Lanturn and Raichu.

From: Woodbridge, VA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 08-06-2001 10:08 AM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Skarmory is a GODSEND in Crystal's Battle Tower, too. Soaks up Hyper Beams like nothing else.

Why do people load up on Fire attacks to deal with Skarmory when Thunder/bolt would do just as well? Electrics have an even greater advantage over Skarmory than Fires do. And of course, there's the whole RD+Thunder=dead DTer...

And as for the argument that it's slow, the thing learns Agility. ^_^
~Uiru

- - - - -
TIDUDSOFIEIHUGHEXXXC: "maybe he will let you touch his blow up do"

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

From: the floating castle of Newfoundland | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
PikachuThunder
Farting Nudist
Member # 22

Member Rated:
posted 08-06-2001 03:56 PM      Profile for PikachuThunder        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Uiru:

Why do people load up on Fire attacks to deal with Skarmory when Thunder/bolt would do just as well?

I dunno... I think it was because Forretress and Scizor presented their metal hides quite often as well.

That, plus Fire Blast is more powerful than Thunderbolt and more accurate than Thunder.

Still, it seems to me like there's no real shame in going after it with Electric-attacks.

MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 08-07-2001 12:17 AM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ok, let's say I wanna raise a Skarmory. (oh and thanks for tellin me about Flying HP cuttin down your HP, I didn't know that)

Anyway, what moves would you recommend for a Skarmory? I'd probably want Whirlwind for sure, what's the standard for it, if any?

Thanks
-MK

Random Loser
Farting Nudist
Member # 1538

Member Rated:
posted 08-07-2001 12:49 AM      Profile for Random Loser   Email Random Loser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Whirlwind, Drill Peck, (usually) Rest, and either Steel Wing, Curse, Sandstorm, Agility, Mud Slap... the last slot's pretty open, I use curse so it can deal solid damage.
From: Uni of Virginny | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 08-07-2001 03:37 AM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks Random Loser

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.